Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does anyone have a clue

is swtor worth the $60..i usually don't buy games but swtor caught me eye..i have heard ALOT of negative things about this game..i have also heard many good things..not sure what to believe..also is it true you can get to max level in two days..i dont want to pay $60 on a game that i can get to max level in two days..also is it graphic card friendly..ty for the help

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

There is a SW:TOR subforum.

I heard the first guy to hit maxlevel required 5 days. Probably that character was played by multiple people who did shifts and played all the time.

Its probably even possible to get to maxlevel in 48 hours if you really know the absolutely optimal route. People have beaten Morrowind in under a 1/4 hour - a game that you can play for months by just trying to solve all the quests of the original, unmodified game.

People who actually want to enjoy the content and dont have the time to play 24/7 will rather require months to finish one class quest, though. The official time necessary to beat the socalled class quest is about 200 hours. That is supposed to be an average for people who dont want to rush to maxlevel ASAP.

And of course - the game is far from over with maxlevel.

• justin2004justin2004 Member Posts: 5

ty for the quick informative responce..much appreciated

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I too have been thinking about getting this game and thus checking a lot of reviews and game features.

I don't know how experienced you are with the MMO universe, but as far as SWTOR is concerned, you are going to see a lot of features that are similar to other MMOs, but there are things that really get SWTOR to stand out.

Character Progression:

The talent system the advanced classes use are basically a carbon copy of WoW's structure.  And by this I do not mean the classes function the same or anything like that, rather you gain talent points and spend them in such a manner that is used by WoW.

Light/Dark side is almost exactly the same as Mass Effect's morality system.  The more decisions you make for one angle, the more your character will start changing to look like it.  These will also open up new options and missions in the later game.

4 starter classes, each branching into 2 different advanced classes at lvl 10.  These advance classes have 3 talent trees each, with 1 of those trees being shared with its other advanced class.  The classes are also mirrored for republic/empire.  There are also a lot of classes that can heal or tank, and no matter what, each advanced class has 2 dps trees.  This means that you will never be able to have a class that can heal as well as tank.

This is made up for in:

Companion characters:

Everyone gets a companion character.  For solo content beyond level 18, they are just about mandatory, unless you're hardcore and want to test your skills.  These companion characters are almost comparable to other PCs as they can tank, dps, or heal for you.  This becomes incredibly helpful for soloing because tank and healing classes can use the added dps, whereas dps classes could certainly use the help of a healer or tank.

These guys are also a huge help in instances, as normally they are not used in the 4 player instances, but if someone has to drop for one reason or another, they can be replaced with a companion character.  I've heard quitre a few stories of 2 players with their companion characters being able to complete most 4 player dungeons.

These companion characters (as you will gain quite a few as you go through the game) as incredibly useful as they can truck your junk back to vendors if you fill up your inventory out in the field.  They are also how you craft.  And the characters you are not using to adventure, you can send them on crafting missions to increase your skills and get you items (with a chance to crit for more cash and better items).

Companion characters also have an affection meter, whereas the decisions you make in the game will affect how your companion character reacts.  As this meter goes up the character will become better and faster at completing crafting missions, and you will be able to unlock new missions for your companions.  And in some cases, you'll be able to spark a relationship.  Gifts can also supplement the affection meter.

Story:

A lot of it, fully voiced over, and catered to your character class.  If you like story, you will love this game, it is beautifully presented and really cuts down on the monotony of MMO questing.  The biggest problem with this structure is that the game is very linear.  You can't really skip content (although you can pick back up on the next planet), but you'll miss out on a bit.

PVP:

3 instanced pvp battles are apparently really fun.  Huttball is a CTF like game where you can pass the ball and gain points in an arena full of traps.  Alderan is a capture and control type game, like arathi basin.  And there is another one where there is an attacking team and a defending team that has to complete objectives in a certain amount of time, and then the teams switch.  Fastest team wins.

PvE:

tons of instances, I believe 10 at max level, with 2 difficulty levels, normal and heroic.  And currently 1 raid type encounter.

All in all, this is your standard fare MMO, but it's got a ton of polish, an incredibly deep story, and some features that really set the game apart.

Again, I haven't played this game yet, but this is an amalgamation of all the information I've gathered from reviews, video reports, and wikis.  Good luck and happy gaming.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new