Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, gave it another shot.

WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I decided to give Mortal Online another go, having tried it once before, some months back.

The gameplay feels about the same as it did back then - there's a random "chop" that happens fromtime to time, but it's nothing unplayable.

What really surprised and kinda disappointed me is the lack of feedback from the community. I'm pretty sure I recall people expressing the importance of finding a guild early on as it greatly affects your experience and perception of the game (as is the case in any FFA PvP MMO I've ever played - even going back to Shadowbane).

However, inquiries about where the best place is to look into joining a guild, or if there was info about guild who might recruit a new player went unanswered for the most part. The only response tht did come was from one of the helpers who, quite unhelpfully mind you, stated that they'd played for a year without being in a guild becuase they don't like dealing with people. The irony of a helper talking about not wanting to deal with people was quite funny to me.

But that was it.

Besides that, there were myriad questions asked, without answers, including a few from myself. This was over the course of a week.

I mean the people were clearly there, and you could tell who had been around for a time as those folks would always chat and respond to one another, while completely ignoring questions from new players.... asking in the help channel. So there were certainly people *there*. They just didn't want to respond to anyone but people they already knew. Very clique-ish to say the least.

In all, after about a week of trying multiple times to break the ice and try to get some kind of feedback, I decided it just wasn't worth trying anymore. Because I hate playing solo and community is very important to me in a MMO - even if it's just a guild - that very cold and unwelcoming lack of acknowledgment left me more than a little underwhelmed.

I gotta say, in all the FFA Open PvP MMOs I've played, this is the first time I've encountered such an anti-social group of people.

Is that pretty much the way it is these days, or am I just logging in at odd times?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
- Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Comments

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    Since there ain't a world chat in MO I would recomend you and any new player to look for guilds under the guild selection on the forums. That's where the most recruiting is happening.
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Norpan

Since there ain't a world chat in MO I would recomend you and any new player to look for guilds under the guild selection on the forums. That's where the most recruiting is happening.

Fair enough. I could give that a try.

Though I'm still kinda wary given how none of the people could have taken the 20 seconds or so, like you just did, to simply say what you just said when the question was asked multiple times (among others) over the course of a week. Certainly the designated Helper could have given that info, instead of pointlessly informing us that they'd gone without a guild for a year.

My post wasn't entirely meant to discuss the guild thing, though. It was also to sorta point out what I (and others I've seen asking questions and receiving no reply) experienced over the course of a week.. the rather anti-social nature of the players I've encountered so far.

That's why I concluded by asking if that's the way it normally is or if perhaps, by some random chance, I was simply logging in "at the wrong times" for an entire week.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

MO's community consists of people unfortunatly :( and sometimes people arent helpful. For example i broke down and spent 15-20mins asking passers by if i could use their phone to contact a breakdown service and none of them would help for the first 20mins :(

MO's community has a good mix of helpful people and idiots.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by deathshroud

MO's community consists of people unfortunatly :( and sometimes people arent helpful. For example i broke down and spent 15-20mins asking passers by if i could use their phone to contact a breakdown service and none of them would help for the first 20mins :(

MO's community has a good mix of helpful people and idiots.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as considering them "idiots" if they don't help. 

If they trolled me in the help channel when I asked a genuine question, then yeah... different story lol.

In this case, I would say a number of them are simply ignorant. If this was just a couple odd times that it happened, it'd be one thing. But this has been every time I've been logged in (at least once daily, and for an hour at minimum each time) over the  past week since I first activated my trial. 

Unless I'm just that miraculously logging in at the times when the helpful people - or at least people willing to answer a question or two - aren't around, I'd say that's a pretty fair representation of what the community is like most of the time.

There's also the fact that, as I noted in a previous post, that I see people talking to each other, presumably those who already know each other, etc. So, they're definitely there, and they're definitely following the help chat... They're just not answering any questions.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Problem with the help chat might be that, as far as I know, there are only new players in there. I even think you're just allowed to be in there for a way too short time. So, chances are, nobody in help chat knows any more than the player asking the question.

Pretty counterproductive really, not a good impression for new players

Edit: This is my impression of how the help channel worked last time i trialed, right after dawn.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Try Fabernum.  Fabernum seems to be the official starter city for all new players now.

You may not be able to chat with veterans over yellow chat, but you can still ask around in local chat in Fabernum.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I've been playing for about a week. I left fab and went down to Meduli on day 1. I found you could talk to people there. What's new since I've been back is that there are territory control wars going on now. It's new for the guilds, too, so they are really wrapped up in that at the moment. That's the context of the game right now from what I gather.

The forums is a place to find out about guilds as someone else said in this thread.

Also, if you pick a town you want to live in (aside from Fab), you need to find out what guilds are controlling it and talk to those guys and find out how you can contribute as a noob. For example, you can butcher meat, gather resources, I don't know...They might have something for you. But keep in mind, they are at war, so there may be trust issues. They may be wary of spies and stuff. It's not a business as usual time in MO, is the feeling I get.

Sometimes towns fall and you lose access to your stuff in storage if a hostile guild takes over and kills everyone there and turns the town red. That happened to me in Vadda, so I stayed in Meduli. The guild holding Meduli seems like they are going to keep the guards on and keep the town blue. I checked earlier today and the guards were turned back on in Vadda, too. So, there is change and upheaval and you can't have a thin skin.

That's the context I've experienced. You can talk to people, but there's stuff going on now. I'd be interested to hear more about your experience if you stick around.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, this game is way more pvp-oriented than it ever has been before, obviously. I don't plan on looking for a guild yet till I take care of basics first. That means figuring out the template I want to build for my main pvp toon and how I'm going to manage my deva (all the 3 toon in your account). There are lots of guides in the forums and there is a lot of prep work to do. I want to establish all the basics, get my skill books, etc, before I go to a guild to get training. I don't want to put a burden on their play time because there is a lot of info you need to assimilate. Good guilds will have their own info for that on their websites, too.

Bottom line is that good pvp guilds may have you do a combat test and you want to have your basic skills there, even if you are going to get beaten down by someone with skills and experience. Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope It makes sense. I just want to be well prepared and get my footing in the world, before I start hitting up guilds for training. I want to be able to contribute from the start because of the TC wars.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

as you found out first hand MO is overflowing with douche bags.  unfortunately FFA full loot pvp attracts such individuals by the boat load. it is quite sad but it's just the way it is. you wanna play this game? you'll have to learn to deal with them.  

on top of their natural predisposition to douche bagness most people in game are very busy making war right now with TC in full swing. few of them will take the time to answer nube questions from new players.

use the guild recruitment section in the forums. there are plenty of guilds looking for new players, and dont be afraid to test the waters and leave if what you see/hear in the guild isn't what you are looking for. wile the majority of guilds in this game are mostly red PKer guilds there are a few that are blue crafting/empire building.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

When i played this game i had the same general issues.

First mistake was that there was only one populated area.  When i rolled ill those interesting races, i was dropped into a world without a soul in sight.  Had to go to a 3rd party forum where i was able to contact a player who basically told me to reroll (at the time the least appealing race) and go from there.

So i rerolled (mind you i like sandboxes for the lack or rerolling alts).  The hafling type race had a stunning backdrop and i saw people, mostly chopping wood and hitting rocks.

I tried to chat, nothing, saw a group of people on horses, tried chatting, ignored...they were talking with eachother but everything i asked or attempts to communicate were ignored.  So...i started attacking people which got some of the mounted players attention who killed me and then back to what it was before.

I eventually had to recontact the guy who helped me via a 3rd party forum once again, a hassle that was putting me at odds with the game, since there were plenty of people around me.  Showed me the boring (think it was boars) spawn and then a skeleton spawn.  Informed me that i had chopped too much wood and to reroll if i wanted to go combat.

Again with the rerolls...so i did it, farmed boars and then skeletons, alone and bored.

Needless to say i didnt even finish out my month.  I love sandboxes but this felt more like a really bad single player RPG.  Im sure there was more to it, and pvp, just it was so terribly lonely and boring either resourcing or killing lifeless mobs on a race that was unappealing....

I guess some people like the hardcore chat system where your not able to communicate with others who are not near you, i know its worked fine in games heavily populated, but a game like this...its an unnessesary hurdle for new players, or anyone looking for a community.

Sadly, i played like 5min of Darkfall and i never looked back, combat was actually very fun compared, there was a community that was friendly and helpful...and i was actually enjoying my time.  Was done with my trial and subbed before MO sub ran out.

Id love to give it a try again, MO, but im not looking for a non social small community, and the combat and PVE was terribly unfun.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

MO's community used to be full of friendly people, sandbox fans, roleplayers, dedicated crafters, and so on. Sure, there were a lot of assholes around, but they were not the majority. After all, the MO was promoted as the spiritual successor to UO, a game that many people with many different playstyles enjoyed because it offered a virtual world.

Sadly, since MO turned out to be nothing more than an extremely buggy and exploitable deathmatch, 95% of the nice people have left and, apart from one or two diehard fanbois, only the e-peen PvP junkies, RPKers, exploiters and griefers are left. Just take a look at the "political" section on the MO forums - i.e. the place were the most active part of the remaining "community" interact with each other. Nothing but the same 20 or so people shittalking, trolling and insulting each other over and over.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Biskop

MO's community used to be full of friendly people, sandbox fans, roleplayers, dedicated crafters, and so on. Sure, there were a lot of assholes around, but they were not the majority. After all, the MO was promoted as the spiritual successor to UO, a game that many people with many different playstyles enjoyed because it offered a virtual world.

Sadly, since MO turned out to be nothing more than an extremely buggy and exploitable deathmatch, 95% of the nice people have left and, apart from one or two diehard fanbois, only the e-peen PvP junkies, RPKers, exploiters and griefers are left. Just take a look at the "political" section on the MO forums - i.e. the place were the most active part of the remaining "community" interact with each other. Nothing but the same 20 or so people shittalking, trolling and insulting each other over and over.

Will totaly agree on that and its 100% accurate. I m preety sure majority of honest, mature and healthy people with good intentions that wanna have their share of the fun without bothering others if its not long gone miles away from MO is at least avoiding the forums. As Biskop said if you pay some time on surfing through official MO forums you will see the 20 same members bashing eachother, arguing, insulting, trolling, being ironic and doing it unharmed without even have in the back of their heads the minimum fear to get some short of punishment for their antisocial behaviour. Even though i cant say i m one of those who do enjoying or having as a personal crusade to spend all their free time inside the forums and braging for completing thousands and thousands posts, was never against on spending few mins and giving to newcomers some instructions or answering some of their questions, i cant denie that i was spending some time on cruising between the threads to see whats going on in general. But no more. I m a bit tired of the same situation and the same people acting with the same inapropriate way again and again and again.

I wanna be optimistic ofc and think that OP if not in the forums, can find the healthy community he is looking for inside the game itself at least those who keep on playing MO still in the healthy side. Just take advantage of the moment that someone who will help you killing an NPC when you are in low health or something similar and start a chat with him/her. Its a fact that MO doesnt promote a healthy playerbase but still there is a small part of people that managed somehow to oversee the exploits, the constant unreasonable griefing, the lack of help regarding their ingame problems and all the rest known issues MO has and there are somewhere in the background trying to do their own things but always willing to assist and stretch a hand for helping anyone who might need it. Dont forget that even thorns have their roses.