Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who have not played DCUO until the Freemium launch, what is your impression?

13»

Comments

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I actually think it feels a lot like CO (with less customization) and feels soulless just like CO does.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by uohaloran

I didn't find there to be enough of a difference between this and City of Heroes and CoH has more overall content than DCUO being the older game.  The combat was neat at first but lost it's luster with me really fast.

Also, I find that gear really didn't have much place in a super hero game unless your character has some sort of technology background and was used as more of a treadmill in DCUO.  Dunno if that changed later.

the combat in dcuo is much better than coh, more responsive

• gertjegertje Member Posts: 4

I like DCUO. I havent tried it yet till yesterday.

I got great potential but too bad it does not have a crafting abilities...i needs more then just pvp, pve. So i hope they will create that or something. The worst part is still the Lag... it really super bad. They should create selectable servers not just 1 server where you sometimes need to wait for 10-20 minutes to get in...and then only to experience death by lag.

I think ill go back to Lord of the rings online till SWTOR comes out. They are going to give beta weekend keys so i better go for that then DCUO. Its 1 week free to play and it still has server lag...that makes me uninstall just much more faster.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Tried it.  Don't really like it.  It has some nice ideas, but there are small quirks here and there that you certainly can feel game was designed with consoles in mind. 

Controlling your character with mouse & keyboard and doing all kind of movements & combat in this game feel..odd.

Guess it is better with console pad, but I don't have one and don't plan to buy one.

I don't like playing single player games that have their primary version made for console and just a port for PC and while I know that might not be the case with DCUO it just feel like game like that.

Also certainly game feel unpolished in some places and bit light on content.

So not gonna play it further. Uninstalled.

btw. really not a game for P2P. It just does not justify for subscription.

Imho it should be b2p without cash shop like games like BF3 or CoD.

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by uohaloran

I didn't find there to be enough of a difference between this and City of Heroes and CoH has more overall content than DCUO being the older game.  The combat was neat at first but lost it's luster with me really fast.

Also, I find that gear really didn't have much place in a super hero game unless your character has some sort of technology background and was used as more of a treadmill in DCUO.  Dunno if that changed later.

I played before F2P, so I'm going to chime in and say that no--- it doesn't change.

SOE took a cute little fight-game style combat engine, then tossed it into the same-ol/same-ol themepark questing and endgame gear grind MMO design.

Even at a very casual pace, the longest it took me to get to level cap was 12 days. From that point forward, it was run the same instances over and over again for gear marks (average of 1-3 marks per instance, depending upon solo, duo, or alert; with 400 needed for a complete teir set).

There are like 8 Solo Challenges (all but 2 of them are just level 30 versions of boss-fight missions you did while leveling), 7 Duos (1 of which is just a two-person version of a solo challange, and several others are just 2 person versions of leveling boss-fights), and 6 or so Alerts (not counting ones that require the full T1 set before doing-- like R'as or the new Lantern Alerts).

So you are running them a lot.  And many of them are just increased difficulty for stuff you did while leveling. Not even new or original engame content (literally).

All MMOs have endgame, run-the-same-content-grind. However, a casual will never reach that point in less than 2 weeks like in DCUO.  Also, very, very few MMOs just reuse leveling instances, up the difficulty to level-cap, and toss it out claiming "new content" like SOE does in DCUO.

To new F2P'ers that want to keep playing, I would suggest buying the Green Lantern DLC for $10 and bumping to Premium, then just riding the game for free unless something shiny catches your eye in the cash shop.

• ZunaahZunaah Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Talthanyst.

I do wish the items I find in the world could be set to the style I originally made for this character. First piece of gear I received altered me chest piece. It retained the colors, but not the style. I suppose the point is to track down different styles of gear and have a huge wardrobe taking up your inventory/vault space.

All in all, had lots of fun, looking forward to playing more tonight.

Talthanyst, you can use the same style you started with or any style you happen to pick up. Go to your Styles tab, select the chest drop down box and select any style you've picked up so far. It will retain the stats of your currently equiped chest and just change the look of it. In the same area you can also change your color schemes.

Honestly, they did a great job with character customization. The difference between DCUO and other superhero games is you have to collect more styles through doing missions. You don't make your character exactly how it's going to stay from the start.. unless you like your starter gear. 

Think of LoTR. You have your best armor equiped on the character, but it also has a styles window. (forget what it's called) You're decked out in full plate, but you make it look like your wearing just a robe.

Alot of people think it sucks in customization and not being able to making your charater look exactly like you wanted is because people don't know they can do that in the styles tab like Talthanyst above. And no, you don't hold onto all those styles you find. Equip it and re-equip your stronger item, then switch the look of the item in the styles tab.

When logic fails.. instinct prevails

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

I've been playing on and off since the freemium launch.  I've gotten one character to 21 another to 10 and fooled around with a few more.  I find myself enjoying DCUO more than I thought I might.  It seems like it will tap out pretty quickly (as I don't go in for the repeatable content / raiding dynamic) but I think it will be worth running through at least once on each side (hero and villian) and maybe fooling around with later.  I definately can't see paying a subscription long-term though.

Good stuff:

- the world is well visualized and I really like the open world concept (i.e. few invisible walls).  It's keen that they put in random acts of violence / stopping random criminals on the street unconnected to a quest line.  It's also neat that you can run into the iconic DC characters out in the world - I stopped on a rooftop to check my map and Batman punted me around a bit before disappearing.

- the open world races.  I actually enjoy the checkpoint races as something to do.  I really like the implementation of acrobatics though, I'm not as big a fan of flight or superspeed so this might not hold true for the rest.

- voice acting.  Great to hear Mark Hamill and the other voices from the animated universe.  This is also the first voice acted MMO I've played, and it is better than reading a solid block of text.

- the styles and equipment.  Glad that I can keep my own style and reset it on demand, and once I got the hang of the pallette system I can see the use of having it, giving players more indvidual freedom with colouring (or not having a syncronized colour system) leads to these riots of colour that are just hard to take looking at long term.

- the controls.  I actually don't mind the PC controls, and I do use a keyboard and mouse.  I'm used to gaming and can adapt to virtually any control scheme though, and this one while a little difficult to use from time to time does manage to provide a fresh and interesting control scheme beyond the press 1 - 3 and take a nap style.

Bad stuff:

- documentation.  DCUO is the absolute worst MMO I've played for telling the player anything of use.  Half the power descriptions are inaccurate or missing information, there's no real information in the character creation screen at all, and I feel I'm still trying to figure things out that should be more apparent.

- general community.  The FTP probably doesn't help, but in general I can't see a strong community vibe forming with a game that's so easy to solo through.  Perhaps sub-communities are fine (the RP community seems pretty decent from the little I've seen) but the general mass of people are more iffy.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.  Seems like a decent start to an MMO (and I can see where this is how Smedley wanted his iconic treatments done - i.e. this is what Star Wars Galaxies would be if he could have a do-over) but it does seem like it will shallow out very rapidly.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I'm a CoX and CO fan, and I should preface this by saying I'm glad there's now 3 superhero MMOs around.  I love the genre as a whole.

DCUO is bags of fun while you're levelling - the PvE is often surprisingly good, and wouldn't disgrace a single player game, the missions are varied and nearly every mission has some cute angle.  The open world PvP is also a lot of fun, at least in the early levels.  But as many have said, once you get to 30, you have to ask yourself whether you're going to be dedicated to perfecting your main, either as a PvP or PvE toon (or if you're really mad, both), or whether you can be bothered with that grind (which is quite extensive - to perfect your main, not only do you have the grind of the Tiered and ever-harder missions, and tougher arena fights against more experienced opponents, but you also have a bunch of "Feats" to do that, in sufficient quantity, give skill point bonuses and important stat increases - things like exploration, races, collecting styles.  They're varied and fun, but there are a lot of them to do if you want to hang with the big boys).  In that sense, it's quite deep and you could play it for a long time - but on the PvE side, it's a bit of a typical hamster wheel (get gear to do harder missions to get better gear to do harder missions), while on the PvP side, you also have to grind a lot, and unless you're really dedicated to the PvP and really good at it, you won't bother.

That said, if they keep adding content for the levelling, and if they keep adding fresh high end stuff, then I can see myself staying with the game for a long time, as a casual player.  There's a huge grind, yes, but in a way, you don't necessarily feel pressure about it, and the game is set up in such a way that you can dip into it every now and then, and get a small sense of achievement every time you play.

At the end of the day, if you're into comics, there's something to be said for the lore - it simply is the DC universe, and from that point of view, it's very well done.  The missions, the iconic heroes and villains, and the stories, are fairly authentic to the comics.

So yeah, a deep game if you want it, but you're unlikely to hunger for it, and more likely to just want to dip into it now and then, and for that, it's great, and all the better for being free.

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Personally, for a game that the trash talkers all said was the "escape from WoW", Im *awed* by how horrific the grind is.

I dont think its good to downplay it.  Ive played a massive amount of MMOs over the years and *none* have a grind as jarring and horrible as DCUO.

I was an original beta tester and am even a lifetime subscriber (such a bad move), and I dont even have it installed anymore.

I got a dozen characters to 30 in much less time than it normally takes me to get to max level on a *single* character in *any* other MMO.

yes, the combat is fun.  The combat in Saints Row is fun too.  For that matter the combat in *any* coop action game is fun.

This is supposed to be an MMO though.  You're given a great leveling experience... and it lasts TOPS a couple of weeks.  Next time through its QUICKER.

After that, the "min/max" is *much* worse than what is being described here.  its ALL of the same content over and over (content you ALREADY DID) just harder and grouped.  Then it is "feats" which are basically all in the SAME environments where you just leveled.

If you are the type to feel that leveling is a speedbump on your way to grinding content to get the best gear to "be a pimp" in PVP, then DCUO is the *ultimate game*. "Depth", however, is a term that does not *remotely* apply to DCUO.  AT ALL.  Anyone who thinks it does has a VERY unique and odd definition of "depth".  You spend the entire game, essentially, at max level fighting OVER and OVER (either a handful of PVE content or PVP endlessly).  To ME, in an MMO, "depth" means lots of content that, while not "critical path" for a min/maxer, is still fun to check out (like alternate leveling areas that you can go back to - something like WoW or EQ2, even just in terms fo combat content, has MORE than you need to level), or depth might be crafting, or housing, or "fluff" type quests and events.  NONE of that exists in DCUO. It is PURELY *rapid ascent* to "max level" which is then where the game *begins* (and the devs even said this in beta)

Problem is that this "beginning" is just the beginning of watching the same set of content 50x a week forever.  Bad.

Its just kind of ironic that that is exactly what people say they hate the most about WoW, yet DCUO is FAR worse and the fans somehow feel DCUO *isnt* a grind.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by mlambert890

Personally, for a game that the trash talkers all said was the "escape from WoW", Im *awed* by how horrific the grind is.

I dont think its good to downplay it.  Ive played a massive amount of MMOs over the years and *none* have a grind as jarring and horrible as DCUO.

I was an original beta tester and am even a lifetime subscriber (such a bad move), and I dont even have it installed anymore.

I got a dozen characters to 30 in much less time than it normally takes me to get to max level on a *single* character in *any* other MMO.

yes, the combat is fun.  The combat in Saints Row is fun too.  For that matter the combat in *any* coop action game is fun.

This is supposed to be an MMO though.  You're given a great leveling experience... and it lasts TOPS a couple of weeks.  Next time through its QUICKER.

After that, the "min/max" is *much* worse than what is being described here.  its ALL of the same content over and over (content you ALREADY DID) just harder and grouped.  Then it is "feats" which are basically all in the SAME environments where you just leveled.

If you are the type to feel that leveling is a speedbump on your way to grinding content to get the best gear to "be a pimp" in PVP, then DCUO is the *ultimate game*. "Depth", however, is a term that does not *remotely* apply to DCUO.  AT ALL.  Anyone who thinks it does has a VERY unique and odd definition of "depth".  You spend the entire game, essentially, at max level fighting OVER and OVER (either a handful of PVE content or PVP endlessly).  To ME, in an MMO, "depth" means lots of content that, while not "critical path" for a min/maxer, is still fun to check out (like alternate leveling areas that you can go back to - something like WoW or EQ2, even just in terms fo combat content, has MORE than you need to level), or depth might be crafting, or housing, or "fluff" type quests and events.  NONE of that exists in DCUO. It is PURELY *rapid ascent* to "max level" which is then where the game *begins* (and the devs even said this in beta)

Problem is that this "beginning" is just the beginning of watching the same set of content 50x a week forever.  Bad.

Its just kind of ironic that that is exactly what people say they hate the most about WoW, yet DCUO is FAR worse and the fans somehow feel DCUO *isnt* a grind.

I've not got to the token griding yet, but I'll probably not just do it.

I mean it's not real hard to wait for a free game to change things. So far the only real restriction I've ran across is the currency cap keeping any good use of the auction house feature.

PvP maps as repeat content, I can deal with. I don't like it, but I can deal.

The same pve instances ran over and over and over as a form of "progression" is a disgusting and lazy mechanic.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

right now im playing it to fill my 'mmo' need within the time gap after leaving WoW & waiting for  another subscription based mmorpg ( like swtor) .

conclusion : decent game if you dont want to be tied up with subscription.

• ProstiProsti Member Posts: 45

I am finding the game to be quite fun. Playing it on the PS3 and really really enjoying it. I haven't subscribed for it yet. But eventually, I'll get around to it. As soon as they start to fix up all of the bugs and such. Until then, it's bashing heroes and kicking some PvE butt. ^^

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

The game is very fun and new, i like the Fight for light dlc, being a green or yellow lantern is fun an awarding. I know the electric dlc just dropped but i got it the moment the SC store was working and so far i dont like it at all, it's moslty a support power. Havent made it past level 20 with both of my toons but i will be back with an update.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

I started this game at freemium on PS3 it was  fun. I moved to PC and have come to really adore the game because its very casual friendly and the community is suprisingly responsive. That being said I couldnt imagine playing this with a Keyboard and mouse. The game is really console and play is hugely skill based. Basically if your good at arcade games youll eat this up.

• Reaper1122Reaper1122 Member Posts: 40

Well I just started maybe a few days ago. So far the game has a surprisingly good feel for an mmorpg and the combos are probably my favorite part along with the customization. I really haven't played any mmorpg in a long time since WoW's first month got to 52 got bored and quit.

Also if your looking for open world pvp this is about as full as it would get. The only real glitchy part I noticed is the super run speed as sometimes your charcter glitches out and runs the wrong way for no aparent reason with the only way to fix it is make it to a flat surface or turn it on/off. I haven't noticed any restrictions basically but then again I don't bother with the auction house in which case we still can earn the gear through gameplay.

I would put it above average although im sure the end game may be lacking. I'm more of a pvper anyway though so that would be my end game.

• krallstarkrallstar Member Posts: 1

Hey all I hope someone here  can assist me with a problem. I downloaded DCU online onto my playstation 3. Have been playing it for a couple of days. Problem i am having is the audio keeps dropping out. Can someone offer any suggestions to help clear this up. Thanks

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Only played it for about 1 hour (+15min waiting on server login) or so on PS3.

I found the charcater creation and bit poor. Maybe there is more when I start to level up.

Controls are a pain in the butt, target the mobs??? Sometimes I can't attack with ranged then some second later I can... maybe I had somekind of spell on me? And I can't stop flying.... Superman fly 24/7?

Other then that it seem to be kind of cool, maybe I'm a little too old for this one... but the graphics are nice and I can chill a lot when playing... not much to fear it seem.

Sound effects, hmm not that good. Could have some more when I fight and fly, run etc. My character seem to very silent. =)