Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unrealistic Server Queue Times

Had the same thing yesterday.

Joined the queue at position 2k+ with a stated wait time of a little over 2 hours.

Almost 5 hours later I'm still queuing.

I wouldn't want to admit to it either but come on Bioware, be honest and at least show realistic queue times.

Comments

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

They have obviously misjudged the average time that they expected each player to play.

But this is a positive, you want packed servers as after the initial hype and a few months down the line they will stabalize to a healthy ammount, opening other servers would just cause too many to become lifeless.

It was the same with Rift, I remember queing for 13hrs on first day (position 8k+), and between 5 and 9 for the next few days. But it worked out well

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Professor78

They have obviously misjudged the average time that they expected each player to play.

But this is a positive, you want packed servers as after the initial hype and a few months down the line they will stabalize to a healthy ammount, opening other servers would just cause too many to become lifeless.

Somehow I would have thought the queue time used statistics from the server to quote a rough estimate.

Misjudging doesn't come into it.

Originally posted by jacklo

Somehow I would have thought the queue time used statistics from the server to quote a rough estimate.

But so early on they dont have accurate data to go on until its built up, they need to make an assumption to get it started.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

But so early on they dont have accurate data to go on until its built up, they need to make an assumption to get it started.

Data is built and can be processed in real-time. Sorry I'm not getting your point.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

i haven't been able to play much at all because everytime i log in im in a 2 hour queue.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Actually there are plenty of servers to choose from and there are many with no Q times. 

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

its going to be worst on december 20  pouahah

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Also I have a question.  They are opening new servers every day and have light to standard populations.  Why don't you roll on one of those servers?  Or maybe you can come up with a better answer on how not to get players to over populate servers......

This game marks the biggest launch in MMO history and I think they are doing a fine job on rolling it out.  Now, two to three weeks after launch and you are still waiting two hours (even though I think thats BS), then you can start complaining.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Actually there are plenty of servers to choose from and there are many with no Q times. 

Yes true, but for some people with guild and friend its more complicated then that. if they choose  a server already iam not going to choose another 1 while they play on a different server lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

All I asked is that the quoted queue times be more realistic. I don't see any reason why not, it's a simple mathematical equation from server stats.

I don't mind queuing, same with every big release. It would help If I knew when to start.... or maybe add to the situation and never log off huh? You dopes.

Gotta love the 'know all' trolls.

Originally posted by Robokapp

Data is built and can be processed in real-time. Sorry I'm not getting your point.

does 5 hours later say "queue time = negative 3 hours?". if not then it was processed in real-time.

it' due to anti-afk macroes btw. players know there's a queue so once they secure server access they never log out hich in turn overloads servers. under normal conditions it'd be about 2 hours, but under thse factors it can become infinite.

So it's a 'manufactured' queue time? Congratulations.

How about a realistic queue time derived from actual statistics?

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

[mod edit] Trying to accurately pin down a wait time is like trying to do the same at a DMV when they hand you a number. All they can do is guesstimate based on what similarly queued numbers have delivered. But who really knows for sure if players aren't afk auto logout dodging at the last minute. So if you simply cannot afford to wait then don't wait. And try not to kick the people who are giving you suggestions in the teeth. They don't know you or your situation, bur it's like you're expecting them to agree with you like you share a common mindset.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Pretty sure i'm on one of the most populated servers.  Was the first "full" server on 13th? With most action in forums and other locations.

Haven't waited in queue one second =)

Also, haven't logged off for more than a few hours and early morning = no queue times!

Originally posted by niceguy3978

All I asked is that the quoted queue times be more realistic. I don't see any reason why not, it's a simple mathematical equation from server stats.

I don't mind queuing, same with every big release. It would help If I knew when to start.... or maybe add to the situation and never log off huh? You dopes.

Nobody has "trolled" this thread, until this quoted post.  Just because you don't like what they said doesn't make it a troll post.  Nobody insulted you or bashed the thread.  They were giving their thoughts on why it is the way it is.  Then you call them trolls because you don't like the responses.  Pot, meet kettle.

Edit:  Ok, I take it back there was one on here that was trollish, but still you make it sound as though everybody has been trolling your thread.

What I found were several posts stating the obvious:

"Find another server."... Personally I find that in itself to be trolling by suggesting that I'm stupid and offering nothing more to the subject. If that were an option and the rest of my guild were not already on the server, I would surely do that. Let's not be petty.

Other posts were just typically "fanboyish", again lending nothing to the conversation and trying to change the subject of the post by adding 'arguments' that I never mentioned.

Back on the subject:

It must be one of the simplest tasks that a programming team could perform, in determining the average queue time from the last 100 or whatever  logins. 

Can we have a more realistic queue time please?

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484
    Find another server

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

Ok, lets say on launch the first 1000 log in and the server is full an hour passes and nobody logs out - will the queue say infinate? No they must make an estimate.

But nobody knows how it really works, but it makes sense to estimate times to start with.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

I suspect that the numbers become less and less accurate, the longer the queue size.

The server I'm on has quoted me 15-20 minutes tonight, and each time I've logged in, it has been actually a bit shorter than that.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by jerlot65

Also I have a question.  They are opening new servers every day and have light to standard populations.  Why don't you roll on one of those servers?  Or maybe you can come up with a better answer on how not to get players to over populate servers......

This game marks the biggest launch in MMO history and I think they are doing a fine job on rolling it out.  Now, two to three weeks after launch and you are still waiting two hours (even though I think thats BS), then you can start complaining.

That's a lot easier said than done for guilds/alliances and adversaries. We've been placed on specific servers, We're talking a lot of people both IMP and REP, being cordinated to a new server. I'm not saying I agree with throwing a hissy fit about it, but then again, I didn't pre-order and I'm waiting until stuff cools down before jumping in, my beta experience gives me more than enough knowledge to make up for lost time.

You're right that for many ( unguilded players, or those in random invite guilds) they can just jump on a less populated server. This isn't the case for everyone though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Nobody has "trolled" this thread, until this quoted post.  Just because you don't like what they said doesn't make it a troll post.  Nobody insulted you or bashed the thread.  They were giving their thoughts on why it is the way it is.  Then you call them trolls because you don't like the responses.  Pot, meet kettle.

Edit:  Ok, I take it back there was one on here that was trollish, but still you make it sound as though everybody has been trolling your thread.

What I found were several posts stating the obvious:

"Find another server."... Personally I find that in itself to be trolling by suggesting that I'm stupid and offering nothing more to the subject. If that were an option and the rest of my guild were not already on the server, I would surely do that. Let's not be petty.

Other posts were just typically "fanboyish", again lending nothing to the conversation and trying to change the subject of the post by adding 'arguments' that I never mentioned.

Back on the subject:

It must be one of the simplest tasks that a programming team could perform, in determining the average queue time from the last 100 or whatever  logins. 

Can we have a more realistic queue time please?

Yes, it is so simple and that must be the reason why Windows installer time estimates are so "precise" right?

And that is for one task in which the only variable is the performance of your machine, here every user is a variable. You might be first in queue, but if no one ever logs out, you never get in, simple.

I would already assume the queue is determined with some average of current log out, so you have any proof to say otherwise?

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• ZalKinZalKin Member Posts: 31

I'll just say this, i had 5 h free time yesterday, i had SWTOR open 4 h yesterday. I could play SWTOR 2 h yesterday, the rest of the time i was standing in a queue.... If i need to wait about 1 h to play this game after lauch i will find another game. Many players has a life and a job and can only play about 2-4h a day, if you have to spend 1 h in queues i think those players will find something els. This happend the other day with me:

"Hey Zalkin want to do this Flashpoint with us?"

"Sure just let me logg in" 

*Possition in que: 654*

"Yeah guys, could you wait 50 min for me?"

"No"

"Ok..."