Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome job Bioware! This is it.....the new MMO that will change everything!

Comments

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by VoIgore

If anything gets changed it's rather that it'll dump down the genre even more. The polish and quality of Swtor is ok for what it is...but gameplay wise Bioware lowered the bar.

There are many examples, but for this post lets only look at the crafting:

While other games at least had some weak crafting, there is none to speak of in Swtor -unless our expectations to the genre is already so low that we would call sending our companion to disappear for 3mins "crafting".

According to the gameworld being absolutely lifeless and Bioware shying any effort to at least place a bird into the sky or a fly on the wall so to say, by what i saw in the beta there also aren't any spawns of ressources to collect. Instead of bothering the clone wars kids with collecting stuff, again you send your companion to disappear for 1-3 mins and get material out of thin air.

Yes, I can already see what's changed here, but it's certainly not for the better of the genre.

What? i managed to get my scavanging to 200 during beta and it was all done by collecting resources on my own because in long run sending your companions to get material gets really expensive. How is it games fault when you had no clue what you were doing? and on top of that you make back hand insults by calling SWTOR players clone war kids?

Is it really hard to make a point without insulting others?

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by russellb1975

All I know is it's going to be tough pulling me away from this.  It's a blast.  And it's not even released yet.  I don't know what else the industry can do to make it even better.  An MMO is an MMO.  Either it captivates the audiance, is fun, and appealing or  it becomes F2P with an item mall and thrown in the 5 dollar bin at wallmart.  Either way, I'm so glad I found this game.  I'm so tired of the Elves, gnomes, dwarves, warrior, mage, type MMOS.  

that jedi knight tank and sage ranged dps caster is really breaking the mold here...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread. Where have I heard that before... image

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Supersoups

If anything gets changed it's rather that it'll dump down the genre even more. The polish and quality of Swtor is ok for what it is...but gameplay wise Bioware lowered the bar.

While other games at least had some weak crafting, there is none to speak of in Swtor -unless our expectations to the genre is already so low that we would call sending our companion to disappear for 3mins "crafting".

According to the gameworld being absolutely lifeless and Bioware shying any effort to at least place a bird into the sky or a fly on the wall so to say, by what i saw in the beta there also aren't any spawns of ressources to collect. Instead of bothering the clone wars kids with collecting stuff, again you send your companion to disappear for 1-3 mins and get material out of thin air.

Yes, I can already see what's changed here, but it's certainly not for the better of the genre.

What? i managed to get my scavanging to 200 during beta and it was all done by collecting resources on my own because in long run sending your companions to get material gets really expensive. How is it games fault when you had no clue what you were doing? and on top of that you make back hand insults by calling SWTOR players clone war kids?

This is so funny. Asking him if it is hard not to insult while you do the very same thing. So I guess it answers your own question.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Supersoups

This is so funny. Asking him if it is hard not to insult while you do the very same thing. So I guess it answers your own question.

If you are purposely trying to spread mis information and someone calls you out on it is not an insult but getting facts straight. On the other hand labeling SWTOR players as kids..well you be judge of it.

But considering how you spend majority of your time bashing SWTOR and insulting the player base, not that i expect you to acknowledge it.

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Either you like it or you don't. Simple as that. Argument is over. Let the numbers do the talking.

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by HellCaster

SW:TOR is the most enjoyable game I've ever played, hands down!

And that is all that matters. I also agree.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

huuuray! let's hurr durr herpa derp to shop and buy yourself a lifetime sub! - it's only logical!

(I hope at least one will see W.I.D.T.)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• HituroHituro Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by alacres

Originally posted by jerlot65

Originally posted by Hituro

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by Ethian

TOR will catch on because most gamer nerds generally love star wars lol. Your right though, TOR won't change a thing for the genre. In fact its making it worse off then it already was...

Didn't save SWG now did it?

As for this...

You might have a valid point if SWG had been shut down due to lack of subscribers. That wasn't the reason at all.

Actually it was a lack of subscribers taht closed SWG.  If SWG was so popular they would have not shut it down.

Actually it was shut down because Lucas Arts didn't want to renew their license with Sony.  It was in an article a while back. Wish I could find it, I would post the link for you.  But it had nothing to do with subscribers.  And this is coming from someone who didn't like SWG

Exactly. Thank you.

You SWG guys kill me.  Sont chose not to renew the license.  They had that option.  Most licenses like that work this way.  If SWG had enough subs and or F2P customers then Sony would have renewed.  But they didn't.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/06/star_wars_galax.html

and

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/24/exclusive-smedley-on-the-sunsetting-of-star-wars-galaxies/

So yeah, it's not nearly as black and white as you think. 

And for the record, I haven't been a "SWG guy" since before the NGE, so I hold no loyalties to the game - I'm just pointing out fallacies.

Ah you beat me to it, I was going to post some links :)  I too left SWG a long time ago and am in no way a fan of it.  But I won't ignore facts.  Truth is, Lucas Arts didn't want to have the Star Wars License under SOE and Bioware.  So they went for the company that was going to make them the most profit.  SOE didn't turn down the renewal.  Trust me, SOE is known for milking money from dead cash cows.  However, I will give them the credit that they and Lucas Arts smugly walked away from this.  No one tossed blame at anyone.  It was a clean break.  I just feel bad for the players who loved SWG.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by kakasaki

TOR will catch on because most gamer nerds generally love star wars lol. Your right though, TOR won't change a thing for the genre. In fact its making it worse off then it already was...

Didn't save SWG now did it?

As for this...

You might have a valid point if SWG had been shut down due to lack of subscribers. That wasn't the reason at all.

Actually it was a lack of subscribers taht closed SWG.  If SWG was so popular they would have not shut it down.

Actually it was shut down because Lucas Arts didn't want to renew their license with Sony.  It was in an article a while back. Wish I could find it, I would post the link for you.  But it had nothing to do with subscribers.  And this is coming from someone who didn't like SWG

Exactly. Thank you.

You SWG guys kill me.  Sont chose not to renew the license.  They had that option.  Most licenses like that work this way.  If SWG had enough subs and or F2P customers then Sony would have renewed.  But they didn't.

I really like that pot meet kettle pic

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by monoth

Originally posted by Otakun

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Originally posted by Kotatsu

Its not going to add or change anything in this industry. We're just along for the ride and then its on to the next attraction. It was decent but I didn't drop a bunch of money to build this nice rig and play a game that has the same old low grade look of older MMOs.

There is very little money in developing super high graphics MMOs. The average player does not have a $2000 computer. Hell, i'll bet many of them dont even have a clue what they do have.

I agree. If peeople are looking for a graphically intense MMO, then good luck.  If they made one, the only people that would be plaing is the people who spend thousands on making their computer run Skynet.  I think Blizzards success was to be able to play WoW on anything.  Heck, you could practically play WoW on a 486DX.

Korean MMOs look better and are meant to run on lower end computers. So, there is no excuse.

This statement is so false, go play Aion and try to raid and you have to turn down your graphics to Atari 2600 quality in order to get a decent frame rate...  All these ""realistic"" looking MMO's are power hungry and unless you have a high-end gaming rig your going to be playing with very low settings and even them most can't play...

BS.

Wow looks better than SWTOR

RIFT looks better than SWTOR

AOC looks better than SWTOR

I can go on, the thing just does not look good at all.. ( the have some issues right now that hopefully they will fix )

1. shadows are terribly blocky

2. High resolution textures are not even in the game atm.

Frame rates will be on par with the above examples ( in raids whatever ) and with nearly the same quality when they get things fixed. I just hope it is before main launch.

O

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I don't see how it will change everything, the game is just a world of warcraft clone at its core, with nothing done to diffrenciate it from wow. If a mmo is ognna change everything I think it has to have something unique or at least newish to it imo. swtor doesn't offer anything really you cannot get from rift, wow and various other mmo's

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HituroHituro Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by allegria

Its not going to add or change anything in this industry. We're just along for the ride and then its on to the next attraction. It was decent but I didn't drop a bunch of money to build this nice rig and play a game that has the same old low grade look of older MMOs.

There is very little money in developing super high graphics MMOs. The average player does not have a $2000 computer. Hell, i'll bet many of them dont even have a clue what they do have.

I agree. If peeople are looking for a graphically intense MMO, then good luck.  If they made one, the only people that would be plaing is the people who spend thousands on making their computer run Skynet.  I think Blizzards success was to be able to play WoW on anything.  Heck, you could practically play WoW on a 486DX.

Korean MMOs look better and are meant to run on lower end computers. So, there is no excuse.

This statement is so false, go play Aion and try to raid and you have to turn down your graphics to Atari 2600 quality in order to get a decent frame rate...  All these ""realistic"" looking MMO's are power hungry and unless you have a high-end gaming rig your going to be playing with very low settings and even them most can't play...

BS.

I can go on, the thing just does not look good at all.. ( the have some issues right now that hopefully they will fix )

Frame rates will be on par with the above examples ( in raids whatever ) and with nearly the same quality when they get things fixed. I just hope it is before main launch.

O

I have to agree with Allegria.

I feel like Bioware took a huge step back with the game not only in graphics, but in game play as well.  I mean, combat you're doing the same skills over and over for every battle.  There's no real strategy.  Maybe there is higher up in level.  But it just gets too repetitive.  and that  was at level 30 for me in beta.  Maybe it's changed.  Graphics could be better.  Sure everyone doesn't have super rigs, but most of the computers out today can play graphics a little better than WoW by now.  I just feel Bioware put all their money into this game, and for what?  Voice acting?  I honestly don't care too much about voice acting.  I'd rather have a game with a good story and awesome gameplay.  Cosmetic stuff can come later.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Siveria

I don't see how it will change everything, the game is just a world of warcraft clone at its core, with nothing done to diffrenciate it from wow. If a mmo is ognna change everything I think it has to have something unique or at least newish to it imo. swtor doesn't offer anything really you cannot get from rift, wow and various other mmo's

Sure, thats why the game is a fail, oh wait no. Is a HUGE success already and is not even out yet.  And yes is will change everything, people wont play a MMO anymore with chat bubbles over a NPC head, they will get bored if the MMO doesnt have a story with the quality of bioware and swtor.  Believe what you want, the game will be huge for many many and many years.  

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by allegria

BS.

O

I have to agree with Allegria.

I feel like Bioware took a huge step back with the game not only in graphics, but in game play as well.  I mean, combat you're doing the same skills over and over for every battle.  There's no real strategy.  Maybe there is higher up in level.  But it just gets too repetitive.  and that  was at level 30 for me in beta.  Maybe it's changed.  Graphics could be better.  Sure everyone doesn't have super rigs, but most of the computers out today can play graphics a little better than WoW by now.  I just feel Bioware put all their money into this game, and for what?  Voice acting?  I honestly don't care too much about voice acting.  I'd rather have a game with a good story and awesome gameplay.  Cosmetic stuff can come later.

I have Played, WoW, Rift, Aion, AOc; Lotro, Daoc, Warhammer and many many many games. SWTOR without a single doubt have the best MMO gameplay in the market, the Animations are just amazing, we are talking about reactive combat in a MMO, and the pvp is a blast. And you know what? more than 3 mill of players think like me. You need to undestand this, SWTOR is an HUGE success already and is not even out, so how bioware did a bad job with the game?, just because the vocal minority said it?, just LoL, at the end is all about ¨haters gonna hate¨.  Swtor is an amazing game, live with it, or just wait for gw2 or the panda/pokemon expansion. 

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

Just because it's a themepark mmo doesn't mean it can't try something new and interesting.  And sure I dont expect GW2 to be as good as the over-inflated hype makes it appear to be, but even if only some of the ideas and gameplay they've shown for new mechanics like combat and dynamic quests are even partially true, it'l still be a shit ton more interesting and innovative when compared to SWTOR.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

Can;t wait for all the haters to jump on the GW2 band wagon and get the heck out of the SWTOR forums.  honestly you folks need to get a clue.  People actually have fun in themepark games.

Oh BTW, I played GW2, all these "innovations" and this "revolutionary" game is not all that its cracked up to be. I just hope they can polish the game before release.

Just because it's a themepark mmo doesn't mean it can't try something new and interesting.  And sure I dont expect GW2 to be as good as the over-inflated hype makes it appear to be, but even if only some of the ideas and gameplay they've shown for new mechanics like combat and dynamic quests are even partially true, it'l still be a shit ton more interesting and innovative when compared to SWTOR.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Totally agree with the OP. I can't get enough of the game. :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Thornrage

Geez, reminds me why I dont come here as often as I used to.

Oh well, back to gaming instead of trolling a game like you losers.

This.

This site is a bad waste of time lately. Suitable only for when you are somewhere that you cannot play a game, and are hit with a sudden case of morbid curiosity.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    How many times can you read a book or watch a movie before it gets old? Mmos need staying power, no one knows if SW has it yet so we will see just how long this game stays as popular as it is now.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by youngkg</i>
    <br><b><blockquote>
    <i>Originally posted by PukeBucket</i><br />
    <p><b>Gah, what a troll OP; you should know better.</b></p>
    <p><b>How can a WoW clone change anything?</b></p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>The same way an everquest clone changed everything?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I agree this isnt groundbreaking but neither was wow.</p>
    </b></blockquote>
    <p> </p>

This.. WoW in itself is not anything new and really wasn't when it was Vanilla. It garnished much of its game play from a certain game called Everquest or formally known as Evercrack. This was not the first in the line itself because of games like Ultima Online.

WoW was NOT innovative in anything it did at the time. Besides the presentation perhaps. I started during Burning Crusade and before then I knew it had "stolen" a lot of elements from Everquest. The issue with WoW as it applies to the MMO genre is that now the younger crowd who had no chance to play is predecessors think Blizzard started it all with WoW. That is blantantly false nit so much their fault directly since most of these WoW players were just babies or not even around when Everquest was the thing to do.

As far as SW: TOR they have hit on some points of innovation by presenting quest that are fully voiced over and mostly cinematic. It hasn't truly broken any molds as far as gameplay but I gotta say again neither did WoW on its release and challenge of Everquest. What it had was better graphics, a new flavor from the EQ and just a fresher take on the genre of MMO's at its time.

The formula of this MMO scheme had been around 15+ years. Notice how WoW does not date that far back? Yea that's me reiterating how WoW was not the first to do most of the things it has in game. There has always been the 'go kill this', 'go collect this' etc.

If all you can refer to is World of Warcraft as your only reference against TOR or Rift or any other modern MMO, you should prob hit the gaming gym and get ya weight up. Because you sound absolutely nieve knowing only WoW and trashing anything that's not it.

As far as an MMO that may change the formula a bit more. My hopes are with TSW and maybe WoD. CCP could probably do a lot with a avatar based MMOs. If they had the funds and backing from someone who has dabbled in the field from the days of UO and EQ. Cause todays MMO, from WoW, Rift and TOR are not hardcore and are themepark thru and thru.

Stale in comparison where they should be.. UO/EVE/TOR/EQ smashed into one delicious harmony..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

All I know is it's going to be tough pulling me away from this.  It's a blast.  And it's not even released yet.  I don't know what else the industry can do to make it even better.  An MMO is an MMO.  Either it captivates the audiance, is fun, and appealing or  it becomes F2P with an item mall and thrown in the 5 dollar bin at wallmart.  Either way, I'm so glad I found this game.  I'm so tired of the Elves, gnomes, dwarves, warrior, mage, type MMOS.  

A BIG amen to that! I'm so freaking sick of the fantasy MMO's - SWTOR is a blast of a game!

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Originally posted by Distopia

TOR won't change a thing for the genre. In fact its making it worse off then it already was...

/scratches head.

I think he may be describing the linear storyline and the inability to craft your world through a sandbox style game. I think when a game is able to give gameplay like say Fallout in MMo form where there is a story line to follow but allows you to really diverge off the path in a very sandbox stylish play you will see a lot more people happy with the direction MMos are going. However that game would take years upon years of development more than any current game would be given the money and time for so they can't essentially with the current mold.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

hey i remember the title of this thread, think i said that about every mmo i paid, guess what? they didn't, neigther will swtor. i played the beta, got to like lvl 15ish, i did enough and explore enough to know, their is NOTHING new here, cept a ton of added videos. from lvls 1-10 i did have alot of fun, once i hit the new planet, it all went down hill, and became the same old same old crap. Your story doesnt not effect the surroundings around ya, So in essense in my opinion, that story is crap. Unless it changes the world around my literaly, then this is nothing new. All the fan Please by all means enjoy your new fresh smell. in about 3 months most of ya whenn be here agreein with us.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

All I gotta say is, i'm addicted and they got me.  Uninstalled WoW, unsubed, and been playing for two days.   It's awesome.  Great job Bioware.   You did it.  Finally an MMO that will give Blizz and others a run for the money.   Ok, bacvfvk to playing.

I'm not going to say that SWTOR is bad. The story part so far is really good. But I doubt it's the big WoW killer. If I'm done with the story part I'm done with MMOs for good. Who gets to "end game" can keep it.

Computing power has significantly increased in the last 40-50 years and game companys focus on eye/ear candy. The games may be a financial success for the companies. If I wanted a game that doesn't adhere to the "industry standards" I would have to make it on my own. :(