Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that its over - rebrand it (pre NGE) and sell it as new game

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

SOE , want to make good buck ?

Rebrand SWG (pre NGA) and sell it as new game.

Who dares to say that would not sell like crazy ?

Just saying...

Comments

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

What the crap is pre-NGA? You high?

As much as I personally would like to see a pre-CU, rebranded "Galaxies" game that's carefully designed to not infringe on the Star Wars IP, I doubt it would sell well at all. For one thing, it would lack the Star Wars brand; for another, it's not 2003 anymore. Those of us who enjoy sandbox MMOs are a tiny little minority nowadays. EVE is the most successful sandbox MMO to date, and WoW has nearly 30x EVE's subscriber base.

"Old-school/hardcore" gamers pay a lot more lip service than we do actual money. The way people talk, you'd think a pre-CU SWG clone would have a million players on the first day, but I doubt it would even break a few 10k over the course of the first few months.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

What the crap is pre-NGA? You high?

As much as I personally would like to see a pre-CU, rebranded "Galaxies" game that's carefully designed to not infringe on the Star Wars IP, I doubt it would sell well at all. For one thing, it would lack the Star Wars brand; for another, it's not 2003 anymore. Those of us who enjoy sandbox MMOs are a tiny little minority nowadays. EVE is the most successful sandbox MMO to date, and WoW has nearly 30x EVE's subscriber base.

"Old-school/hardcore" gamers pay a lot more lip service than we do actual money. The way people talk, you'd think a pre-CU SWG clone would have a million players on the first day, but I doubt it would even break a few 10k over the course of the first few months.

I meant pre CU , pre NGA ... I meant the old game as it was.

Rebrand it.

Who the ... cares about Star Wars anyway ?!

• HadeanHadean Member Posts: 27

I imagine to remove all the star wars elements and replace them would not be worth the hassle.

As much as I love precu, that ship has sailed.

"If you don't take care of your customers somebody else will."

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Would they be able to geat enouph subs to keep the game afloat with a pre nge,/cu swg mmo? To me i think they could get enouph to keep it up, even make a profit too even as  trully you do not have to recreate the game in it's entirity merely get tthe right to use the ip again. Although the question is if there is enouph people to warrent doing this for, and to that i do not think the money soe would be bringing in would put them in a desirable position to do so. For the most part sand-box hardcore gaming type mmos are not that popular, or a great money maker as could most likely get more just making a themepark version of another popular ip.

Just going by the vocal majority assessment for what is going to draw the most players thus money,  it would be themepark games over sandboxes saddly, since most paople do not want a second job to come home to for their fun time. Also bringing up the silent majority is worthless as if we could say what the "silent" majority wanted, then they would not be the silent majority would they. Right nwo for the hardcore sandoxers sticking to your favorite sandbox is best, trying to improve that while there, and showing the true strength of numbers in the sandbox market. Once the numbers for peopel who are playing sandboxes come up, and show their is a actual finanial indication that games in that market can survive big companies might take a good try at it. As of yet sandboxes are the weaker market with smaler numbers, and so smaller profits in it compared to themeparks.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

While SWG Pre-CU had some amazing mechanics... it was the SW IP that really held it together. The music, the sound, the ambience, etc.

Another thing that the IP brought with it (pre_Clone Wars cartoon at least) was a mature player base. Loading into SWG for the first time 8 years ago was like going to a SW fan convention 24/7.

Without the IP, you'd have a handfull of really great mechanics, but the tech is garbage, and the people running it... even worse.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Loading into SWG for the first time 8 years ago was like going to a SW fan convention 24/7.

Oh gosh, the horror! Guess that backs up Coyote Sharptongue's claims that Horror MMOs don't work! Can't get any darker than being surrounded by SW nerds! :D

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Lobotomist

SOE , want to make good buck ?

Rebrand SWG (pre NGA) and sell it as new game.

Who dares to say that would not sell like crazy ?

Just saying...

Only 3 things I see wrong with this idea...

S

O

E

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

While SWG Pre-CU had some amazing mechanics... it was the SW IP that really held it together. The music, the sound, the ambience, etc.

Another thing that the IP brought with it (pre_Clone Wars cartoon at least) was a mature player base. Loading into SWG for the first time 8 years ago was like going to a SW fan convention 24/7.

Without the IP, you'd have a handfull of really great mechanics, but the tech is garbage, and the people running it... even worse.

Wait...and help me understand this ( i am not SW fanatic)

What you are saying is that SWG - preCU. MMO that was hailed as best sandbox MMO. Most innovative MMO.

Game that was debated to no end.

Was actually only good because it was Star Wars game ?!?

Is star wars such magical thing that everything branded that is suddenly a good game ?

Than why are you all not drooling crazy over SWTOR...or you are ....

I personally dont care if the game is set in Star Wars universe , or Pig Farmer universe.

If it has good mechanics. And SWG has that...

And what would be the loss for SOE ?

Few month of work on new models, to bring most innovative MMO back to life...

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by Lobotomist

What you are saying is that SWG - preCU. MMO that was hailed as best sandbox MMO. Most innovative MMO.

Game that was debated to no end.

Was actually only good because it was Star Wars game ?!?

Not exactly, but the fact that it was Star Wars was the reason most people heard of it/tried it in the first place/kept playing post-NGE/etc.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

How about somebody just make a better game. SWG was cool, but I don't want the same game. The coding will never be released because of LA I believe though.