Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which race to play mesmer on?

RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

I just don't know what race to make my mesmer.

Human blessed by Lyssa?

Norn who favors Raven?

Asura who enjoys messing with the minds of the lesser intelligent races?

Sylvari who likes magic but not the elemental kind or the darker kind?

Charr who's a bit of an odd ball among charr, preferring brains over brawn?

Comments

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

It may end up being pretty common, but I'm looking forward now to making a really old, ugly Norn male raven worshipper.  Maybe with only one eye.  :)

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

What, no poll?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't see a Charr in those weird mesmer cloth that looks like lingerie.

Human or Sylvary seems most appropriate for the class.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Well..The Charr and the Norn are both a bit too Warrior-like to be an obvious fit IMO. Many people seem to think the Sylvari lend themselves well to Mesmers, but I tend to think the Asura is the most natural fit. They like to think they are intellectual superior and the mesmer is all about out-smarting your opponent.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

I think the Charr are so awesome I already have one planned to be an Elementalist, the same could work for Mesmer I suppose, their just going to look like nature casters is all.  Like some kind of large bulky inhuman shaman looking critter, but thats cool, they have tiger stripes and bull horns.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Loke666

I don't see a Charr in those weird mesmer cloth that looks like lingerie.
    Human or Sylvary seems most appropriate for the class.

I dont know,i guess the Asura or my name sake fit the bill,especially from a RP angle.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Leonona

Many people seem to think the Sylvari lend themselves well to Mesmers, but I tend to think the Asura is the most natural fit. They like to think they are intellectual superior and the mesmer is all about out-smarting your opponent.

Indeed.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

This class is going to be so over played at release.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Humans and Charr were Mesmers from the release of the first Guild Wars. Asura also seem like a good choice. To me the oddest choices would be Sylvari and most of all Norn... but of course any race works.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Charr mesmer just looks ugly

I would guess that human, asura and sylvari are more obvious choices with norn being occasional

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well I thought a charr mesmer would be an odd choice till i realized they've been in the game since the beginning.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I've said since the very beginning that I want to play a norn mesmer.  Since before the Manifesto video. :)

Big, beefy... maybe a little fat, lots of chest hair, and wearing the frilliest pink mesmer clothes I can get! :D

He'll screw with your mind before you even start fighting him.

• ZalKinZalKin Member Posts: 31

Lore-wise i think all the races except Sylvari would make a great Mesemer. The Sylvari don't understand how the mind of the other races work and therefore don't know how to  trick or confuse them. If you want a race to fit the Mesmer lore-wise, the Sylvare is not the best choice.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Male charr might look weird, yet a female charr would make sense if the males are the brully ower-house types the females would be the intellect sde of it to control them.

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Meowhead

I've said since the very beginning that I want to play a norn mesmer.  Since before the Manifesto video. :)

Big, beefy... maybe a little fat, lots of chest hair, and wearing the frilliest pink mesmer clothes I can get! :D

He'll screw with your mind before you even start fighting him.

LOL. I read the last sentence as "He'll screw with your mind before you even start flirting with him.

I don't even know... XD I'm probably already affected by confusion, so I better not use any skills right now.

___

Anyway, I think every race is appropriate for a mesmer. The point is in what you make your enemies see, not in what there really is. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I really need to see what the armors look like to decide, but I'm thinking human for my mesmer.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

If armor isn't profession bound like in GW1 but divided into three categories, it's probably robes, and would be the same as for the elementalist

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Malaksbane

If armor isn't profession bound like in GW1 but divided into three categories, it's probably robes, and would be the same as for the elementalist

Is all the armor not profession specific? I don't know where I got the idea from, but I thought there were still going to be sets for each class. I may very well be wrong in that though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZalKinZalKin Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by eyelolled

Is all the armor not profession specific? I don't know where I got the idea from, but I thought there were still going to be sets for each class. I may very well be wrong in that though.

If i'm not misstagen there are three categories IN those three categories(ligh, medium, heavy). You have race specific armor, and class specific armor.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by dinams

Charr mesmer just looks ugly

GW1's Charr Mesmers were pretty badass: http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0f/Charr_mesmer.jpg

Originally posted by eyelolled

All armors are shared within the three categories. So Guardians and Warriors share all heavy armor sets. Engineers, Rangers and Thieves share all medium armor sets. And Elementalists, Mesmers and Necromancers share all light armor sets. However there are Profession-themed sets within those categories, an Elementalist-themed light armor set for example but it can be worn by all professions within that category. So there is no profession specific armor, there are however a few race specific sets.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by RameiArashi

Charr who's a bit of an odd ball among charr, preferring brains over brawn?

That's not oddball amongst the charr at all. Someone has to write up their battle plans, someone has to design their war machines, someone has to develop their biological components to warfare, and someone has to push their new frontiers. Those who can prove themselves by building incredible things are just as valued amongst the charr as those who can crack heads in.

Smodur the Unflinching is an engineer himself.

See, part of what makes the charr so amazing is their industrial nature. If one asura designs something, it's a quirky invention that they keep to themselves out of egotism and greed (as their race week established). But if a charr designs something, and that something is useful and practical, then they are heralded for it and it's rushed into mass production immediately. So where one eccentric asura might develop a special gun, that would just be theirs. But as soon as a charr develops a gun, it isn't long before all charr have that gun, due to their factory city. The Black Citadel is a factory city. They mass produce.

They have to mass produce because otherwise they wouldn't be able to churn out tanks like they do, and that probably makes the charr one of the scariest races as far as military force goes, really. No one else in realm has the ability to mass produce in the crazy way that the charr do. The dwarves did, but they were the only ones, and they're gone now.

But this brings me back to my original point: Someone has to design this stuff. Charr technology is real technology, it's blueprinted, tested, it has prototypes, then it's pushed into mass production. And the people who have the crazy ideas, the people who develop the first blueprints and prototypes for things, they're going to be thinkers, and they're likely going to value brain over brawn. (Though no charr seems to be lacking in the brawn department. It just seems to be a choice.)

So a charr that prefers brains over brawn is just as common as any other charr, it's simply a personal preference. To be honest, I'd say that every charr engineer prefers brains over brawn. That the charr value brute strength over all else is a misconception, really. If that were true then they wouldn't have developed the industry that they have.

Again, tanks as highly developed as those don't just pop out of nowhere.

Oh, and they're not even using magic to cheat like some races. :P See, the whole magic thing in Guild Wars... not so fond of it because it's a toy that the gods play around with, they reshaped it and they have ultimate control over it, so they can impose whatever restrictions they like. So it would be sort of like a group of deities turning up on earth and telling people that they can have all these powers so long as they obey the restrictions in place. Some scientists are just going to ignore this and continue plying their knowledge with the physical realm instead - that's what the charr are.

The races that use magicks are always going to be restricted by whatever the gods put in place, but the charr? The charr are only restricted by their own knowledge and their imagination. As a charr thinker, you have no limits.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'd try to pick the most unlikely race just to try and be dIfferent from the rest of the herd
  • RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

All the races, including the charr, whether they want to admit it or not got magic from Abaddon and all had the ability to use it reduced by the other gods through the blood stones. No one for example has magic capable of sinking a continent like happened to Orr, unless there are some more ancient scrolls some where. The only exception being that ritualists actually had magic before everbody else because they got it through spirits of their ancestors. Ironic that 250 years in the future  the first magic using profession is no more (unless its added back with an expanions pack).

And charr don't trust magic as much as the other races because of their past with the flame legion, which had most of the magic using charr, so charr guardians, elementalists, necromancers and mesmer would be rare (at least among NPCS). This distrust of magic is what led to their advencement in technology.

Anyhow,  after seeing this picture http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/12/nornmesmer-1323870229.jpg I think I'm going with norn who favors raven.  (I do realise thats not raven armor but close enough)

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

In the history of MMOs ArenaNet has created two iconic figures: the Mesmer and the Charr. So a Charr Mesmer esquisitly designed merits to end up among the important historic figures when the history of the MMOs is to be written some 200 years from now.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Norn especially if you can do the copies of yourself in your animal form.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.