Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even with single player games, I don't know what to play anymore

2»

Comments

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Minas

Why they stopped the Baldur's Gate series is beyond me...

I'm in the same boat and I can agree with alot of the things you say. I really lost interest in the games I own right now and not much new is coming in. Obviously I will play Skyrim and I am excited for SWTOR, but then I was excited for a lot of games that didn't meet with my expectations.

Hang in there, I know I will and I'm hoping for the next best thing.

Hmm thats a very good question..Why indeed Baldur's gate 3 wasnt made ever. I cnt find any explanation since it would sell millions of copies. Not to mention nowdays with hamachi u could connect and play the campaign with 1-4 rl friends with each one having 1 character..It would be so nice.  I mean only thing they needed to do is put heads down make an intresting story and focus on creativity and gameplay like the older bg series was based upon. They could maybe implement some sort of 3d graficks for the appeal, not that i personally care but u know for the grafix fans,or make it isometric 3 d something similar to temple of elementaal evil graficks or something. Really dont have a clue why a gem like BG series was abandoned.

As for the rets rpg's? complee disappointment..if u put aside elder scrolls series from daggerfall till morrorwind oblivion and skyrim all fails.

They all seemed to me like games made for console audience 8-12 y old.

Arcania gothic 4? Divinty ego dragonis? these are arcade games not rpg's,and bad arcades also.

Only 3d grafix action rpg that was giving something to the player last one i recall was severance blade of darkness,great phobic atmpshere,nice action in fights,or Clive Barker's Undying which was though a mix of rpg adventure horror and action.

Apart Skyrim i had hopes for dungeon's Lords 2 (Orb and the oracle) but lost its tracks cant find any info like the project is stopped. Dungeon Lords 1 was the definition of free choise character advancement ,very strong with many classes that could be adjusted alot to whatever avatar u wanted to build in your mind, which is eactly what rpg is about after all. It was just badly made by the devs lots of bugs and due to that it was buried by lots of ppl.

Another very very hopefull game was Elveon had fantastic combat,but lost its track also like projectstacked or soemthing..If btw anyone had any info about these 2 rpg's pls share .

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Your prolly burnout and maybe time to take a breake of games for while seek another hobby?

Or just open your mind to other games?

Try vampire masequrade-bloodlines rpg great game.

Or try Amnesia Dark decent

Divinity 2 EGO+expansion great rpg.

Gohtic 3 with FAN patch its great rpg.

Stalker chernobyl fps/rpg freedom/exploring great game.

Maybe Deus ex 3 it seems going right way with exploring and freedom with multiple endings.

Ive lately little bit my doubs with Skyrim becouse of simplyfications towards consoles and PC get a console port, i realy hope not and take some awesomness from Morrowind instead Oblivion will see.

Another maybe Game of year 2011 award is Bioshock 3, ive seen the gameplay movies and im very optimistic about this game also.

Im totally burnout with mmo's at momemnt.

And i dont play any PC game if even slightest DRM is involved with some damn gameportal like steam or origin or ubisoft  i won't play the game eather there on my boycot list.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Originally posted by Brenelael

Try X3: Terran Conflict. It's about as complex as you can get without burying you in spreadsheets. It's a freeform sandbox space game with multitudes of ways you can play. One warning though, it has a learning curve that rivals EVE online... LOL

Bren

such a great game, and a bunch of great mods and scripts for it too.

Why do I see people recomending From Dust here? That game was a horrible Populous wannabe. Populous another great one by Bullfrog... like Dungeon Keeper.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Theutus

Originally posted by Brenelael

Try X3: Terran Conflict. It's about as complex as you can get without burying you in spreadsheets. It's a freeform sandbox space game with multitudes of ways you can play. One warning though, it has a learning curve that rivals EVE online... LOL

Bren

such a great game, and a bunch of great mods and scripts for it too.

Why do I see people recomending From Dust here? That game was a horrible Populous wannabe. Populous another great one by Bullfrog... like Dungeon Keeper.

I am going to go ahead and third X3. It's the single player version of what I hoped EVE Online would be like, way back then. 

Doh! That made slight sense, I guess. :)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

OP, I still remember your somewhat recent thread in The Pub subforum talking about the state of people and multiplayer in MMORPGs.  Seriously, IMO, you need to step back from gaming for a bit.  There's no use in forcing something that is not enjoyable anymore, especially if it's gaming, where you're supposed to find enjoyment in it.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CheookCheook Member Posts: 16

Seems like we have a similar taste...

After 25 years of gaming, I started taking a break after each game I play for 2-3 month or so. Then I came back and started looking for a new game. Some recommendations I enjoyed over the last years:

Gothic 3 (with some mods)

Elder Scrolls Oblivion ("gold edition" with all addons plus some fan mods)

Divinity 2 Eco Draconis (rather short but very nice)

Neverwinter Nights 2 ("platinum edition", oldschool party rpg with acceptable graphics)

Dragon Age 1

Mass Effect 1

Knights of the Old Republic 1

Beside these RPGs I spent some time with

Borderlands (Shooter)

Test Drive Unlimited 2 (Racing, best with a wheel like Logitech Momo Racing)

X3 Terran Conflict (Space opera, huge timesink)

Eve Online (Guild is a must have)

Anyway: The days where you could play for days and didn't have to think about paying your rent, cleaning, buying food and whatever else are over, so you are not the same gamer as you were before. Maybe you should start thinking about playing chess in the park or feeding ducks?

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Originally posted by Cheook

Anyway: The days where you could play for days and didn't have to think about paying your rent, cleaning, buying food and whatever else are over, so you are not the same gamer as you were before. Maybe you should start thinking about playing chess in the park or feeding ducks?

or shake your stick at the neighbors kids when they step in your yard?

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

OP, you should try WH40k Dawn of War 2 Retribution.  It is RTS light with RPG elements.  The best part about it is the co-op game called "The Last Stand."  You get to play with 2 other people and try to beat 2 different horde maps.  You get to choose from 5 different heroes and level them up.  It is only $30 (sometimes cheaper when Steam puts it on sale). 

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by NightAngell

To the OP..

I hear ya but all is not lost, their are still a few gems being made.

Before you duck out completely may i suggest  http://www.drakensang.com/  this is what BioWare have lost IMO,the real magic of an RPG..

Difficult to master but once you do you will find yourself in a beautiful skill based world where you can be any class you want and craft.

You can pick up this game and the follow ups really cheap and they also have http://www.drakensang-online.com/

Drakensang online is totally different game comepare to superb solo rpg's Drakensang series online version has nothing to do with solo version.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im also playing along time but ive played some great games in past few years bioshock, the witcher 1&2, dragon age Origin, Drakensang river of time, ego draconis and expansion, risen and fallout 3.

Now im playing Skyrim but my verdict on that one is still unclear world looks great but im affraid after wekk playing my view on game will drop some it seems symplification(i realy hope it will not be more dumbed down then Oblivion was after superb Morrowind)and master difficulty is way to easy so far:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Elikal

It's quite a depressing reality. See, I was a gamer for 25 years now, or so. And now, almost everything out there looks terrible, mediocre or uninteresting to me. I used to play 3 types of games, RPGs like Baldurs Gate, Action games like Hexen or Heretic and Strategy games lke Civ2 or Age of Empires.

These days, such games are either not made anymore or trash.

Take Civilization. I was SUCH an avid fan of the series, but each new game of Civ was worse than the one before. And Civ 5 was such a bad game, it really sucks with all its simplifications. Or space civs: I loved to play the old Master of Orion or Galactic Civilisations from Stardock. But these days: I checked out those who exist and those who come, like Sword of the Stars II, and BOY, it looks like games 1990! And there are all those Paradox games. Europa Universalis, Victoria II... strategy fans really recommended this to me, but its like a puzzle or like an Excel chart! I don't need Crysis graphics in a strategy game, but this is really too little, when just small tokens move over a map and thats it. And Total War looks nice, but lacks the complexity.

Well i must say that Civ V was indeed a pretty big disapointment but i did love Civ IV though. Civ IV wasn't that simplified and if anything more complex than Civ III and Civ II (never played the I).

Now i would also like to add that you can find some gems in the RTS market. Now yes franchises like Empire Earth and Age of Empires went down the drain but others have arisen like CoH (though it is getting pretty old but i still play it very often).  (and just in case CoH in the RTS world refers to Company Of Heroes and not City Of Heroes)

I guess the big problem is and will always be that many gamers nowadays don't want to put any effort into games, whether it be time wise (mostly noticed in MMO's) or intellectual.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I noticed that in my most recent SPG shopping trip.  I blame it on these forums; All of the negativity and reflex cynicism is getting to me.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

I haven't been interested in most single player games/modes. The only thing that keeps me going is the multiplayer aspect of games, that i can play with my friends. Thats really the most important part. Games like cod, halo, do people really play it for campaign? No, they play it for the multiplayer. Plus if there was no MMO, i don't think i would play games anymore. It gets dull shooting at the CPU.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Pretty much in same boat:)

Just some games to watch for on Steam christmas sales that i played for over 50 hours each.

Terraria  -Not much to look at but suprisingly fun to play now and again.

Borderlands - Shooter type game.

Defense grid the awakening - Tower defense type game, never had played these type games much till this, over 200 hours  played

Dungeon defenders - another tower defense type again almost 200 hours here. And they have an on-line on trendy net that seems to have lots of people still playing if you like that. I played single player.

Over lord raising hell -  Has both overLord one and 2 and is an older game, but was fun.

All the above are good games to own and play from time to time, and they all can be had on steam cheap if you catch them on sale. 

X-3 Terran conflict - This one is a huge game world space and trade type game. Think it was the best of the series. If you like any type of spce games from time to time like EVE or Free Lancer ( though this is single player) kind of games get this. It takes some learning, not a easy game to jump into, but if you take the time might really like it.

Those are some of my fall back, time wasters that i can recommend.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

OP: I hear you about CIV 5, I personally think that in many ways is it great but the simplifications of the technological trees and the limited selections of units are bad.

But I have a treat for you: Try the mod Caveman2cosmos for CIV 4 BTS instead, it is epic. 20 times the number of technologies from CIV 5, a lot more complexity and loads of weird units. It is really something different and what CIV really should be.

The mod is free but you need CIV 4 BTS for it, if you don't own it get it and try, you wont regret it. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=288570

Direct link to download: http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/94608/c2c-v19