Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    And who debunked the exploit myth? Bioware who was clearly lying through their teeth to hide the exploit?
  • Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Axxar

Not that it matters if a few people had actually managed to find an exploit, but it's still nice to see the exploit myth debunked.

Agree- I have no doubt that there are a few exploits. Just not to the OMG O NOES LAUNCH WRECKED CRITICAL EXPLOIT  level

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Ausare

How much can the staff from Bioware be trusted if there are vids of higher level people than they say exist in the game?

Ever think the vids could be from beta and a lie?

could be but you ever think they could be the truth?  I do not put a lot of stock in the numbers gaming companies put out in press releases...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

IT IS AN KONSPIRAMCY!

EVERYONE POST YOUR TRUE REPLIES IN GREEN, IT'S A WAVELENGTH THEY CANT SEE!!!!!

Yes OP, thanks u very muchly.

Lovely weather here. I go now bye?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Jimmydean

And who debunked the exploit myth? Bioware who was clearly lying through their teeth to hide the exploit?

Don't know, because that would be a superlatively stupid move.

But the word we'd have a problem with is "clearly lying"--again, an assertion not supported with evidence.

There's some fairly routine anti-corporate rhetoric from the same people who routinely adopt the position that Devs exist solely to Ruin Our Fun, but that myth's older than you are.  Anecdotes.  Hearsay.  Rumors. Fabrications.

All in all, it's not much of a case.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Its amazing how much fuss people make about nothing...

That's all I have to say.

• AshlindeAshlinde Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Dragim

Originally posted by DarkPony

"Critical" ... "wrecking" ...

Sounds a bit overly exagerated and dramatic to me. If people want to ruin their own leveling experience, it's their choice. I won't.

^_^

Credit or item dupes or exploits giving a direct advantage in combat is what I would call "critical" or "wrecking", personally.

But it is on a PvP server, so once they begin ganking all the "noobs" then I think it will be an issue beyond just "ruining their own experience".

Also, everyone wants an even playing field, even if there is no direct connection between the people competing. I think..

A: It pisses people off who are jelouse they are leveling so easy

B: It pisses people off these guys will be "server firsts" if not "entire ToR game firsts'.

C: They are exploiting, cheaters should be banned regardless of whether they are affecting me or not. Personally I hate cheaters.

D: By exploiting, reaching the top tier, they can then gain more items/good faster than everyone else, thus saturating an early market with an abundance of items, inflating prices and controlling them.

This is just my opine.  (I did not mispell opinion, look up opine :P)

saturating a market with a lot of something does NOT inflate prices..... it lowers them.

fail.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

For as long as games have been out developers have denied the existance of an exploit till they fix it to stop more from doing it. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Lizard thats like saying duping cant possibly exist because little timmy just spent the last 12 hours farming for them and has the same amount as jackass john who spent 5 minutes duping. See no evil, hear no evil.

In this particular case, if people doing the 'exploit' aren't receiving any additional XP over people who aren't using the 'exploit', then it's not really an exploit, it's a dumb way to try and level your character. If the difference is 5 minutes versus 12 hours, then yes, it's an exploit. If the difference is 12 hours and 12 and a half hours, it's not really an exploit because the people using it aren't receiving any sort of advantage.

That doesn't mean players aren't doing something unexpected or playing the game in a way that the developers didn't intend which would necessitate a fix to the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by sammyeli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZyyryEp9ig

It's an exploit already deleted the post on official forums. So it's probably not intendted, just more spit and polish from EA games for ya.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I dunno, on every PVP server I've ever joined, I've had to slog along at a slow and steady pace (because, you know, I have a job, family and all that) and was told to just suck it up when upper level players ganked me. (which was inevitable of course, heck, even I had a month headstart on others they'd pass me soon after).

So now folks whine that the won't have the opportunity to stand on the top of the heap and smack down those struggling on the way up, and I'm supposed to somehow feel sorry for them?

Real PVP'ers would rise to the challenge and overcome the odds. like I always seem to have to do instead of complaining that someone higher level is going to gank them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Oh so because you Ky can only play casually then its a non issue? Sad, usually ur posts are fairly intelligent.
  • DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Ausare

For as long as games have been out developers have denied the existance of an exploit till they fix it to stop more from doing it. 

For as long as gamers have been posting threads they've lied and troll about stuff that isn't true.

Works both ways... :)

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

There are far worse offences then leveling faster. But yeah epeen is really important in pvp so i can see how people are butt hurt.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

A huge exploint in an MMO at lauch! Unheard of!

But seriously i've come to assume these days MMO's will have almost gamebreaking exploits figured out within the first month or so. It's sad that pathetic people feel the need to abuse the game mechanics like this but they always do.

Luckily STWOR isn't some indie MMO where the developer are to scared to ban anyone or dish out the needed punishment.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Lobotomist

This is quoted from Linkendin, so sorry no direct link:

Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch

Right now the carefully orchestrated Star Wars: The Old Republic pre-order launch is unraveling. The beta testers (all of which currently in play had to pay to get early beta access) are trying to get their money's worth. Some groups, rumored to be well organised pre-launch guilds, are using an elaborate multiplayer pvp exploit to reach level 30+ (out of 50) in a matter of hours. This is especially troubling on pvp servers where at most 20% of the preordered players have been allowed on the server and the rest have nothing better to do but watch and steam.

Early attempts to discuss the exploit on the SWTOR forums were apparently deleted by BW/EA. By now the exploit is well known and there is no word from BW/EA other than:

"Hello all,

The Live Services and development teams are aware of the reports on this issue, and we're investigating. We'll take appropriate action against any players who are found to exploiting the game in any way.

Thanks for your patience while we look into the issue."

This has not left the community overly comforted. The last time I counted there were already 136 servers up. Will they do a roll back? Will they try to figure out which of the 500,000 involved players were trying to cheat and discipline those individuals? Will they just ignore the situation and have the other players attempt to avoid those servers because they are tainted?

I don't envy whoever has to make that call. While I realize that selling their beta was a hugely successful PR move, beta has traditionally had a purpose: to find bugs and exploits before retail launch. Changing beta tests into huge marketing vehicles trades one thing (quality) for another (increased pre-orders). But if you trust your customers to do your QA work for you, instead of qualified internal testers, there is a price to be paid for this and the numbers don't always (or even often) come out in the host company's favor.

Who are you quoting from LinkedIn? The way you present this, it looks like that is an official message and that this official message is titled "Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch"

Either you or the person you copied that from seem to be mixing personal opinion with official source in what is a less than honest way to represent something. Would like to have more facts about what you've posted, if possible.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Oh so because you Ky can only play casually then its a non issue? Sad, usually ur posts are fairly intelligent.

If I can suck it up, they can suck it up, yes, it is a non issue.

This is a game man...not a real life (or even money on the line) issue.

Don't take it all so seriously.

Still maintaining my streak of brilliance.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Loktofeit 

Who are you quoting from LinkedIn? The way you present this, it looks like that is an official message and that this official message is titled "Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch"

Either you or the person you copied that from seem to be mixing personal opinion with official source in what is a less than honest way to represent something. Would like to have more facts about what you've posted, if possible.

If you want you can just go to the official forums thread on the matter.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=9211&page=2

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

So they are "exploiting" by your definition... Well in my opinion buying farmed gold from China is cheating and hence would be considered an exploit, however 80-90% of MMo players have done it... Remember that saying about living in a glass house...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Zarynterk

So they are "exploiting" by your definition... Well in my opinion buying farmed gold from China is cheating and hence would be considered an exploit, however 80-90% of MMo players have done it... Remember that saying about living in a glass house...

There is no way I would believe that 80 - 90 percent of the population buys gold.  Pulling numbers out of you know where invalidates your point and make your future points doubtful.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Pulling numbers out of.... you know where ;)

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Who cares? I got to level 15 in one day, looking at it that way, they arnt that far ahead, and eventually they will be capped at 50, so....who freaking cares? Boohoo they will be max level before launch, yea, plenty of people were gonna be maxxed before launch anyways, the only people who whine about this are people who want to go on a PvP server but are scared of higher level players. Clearly you dont understand that in PvP everyone gets scaled to the same power level( Unless your doing world pvp in which your already atleast level 25. )

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by waynejr2

There is no way I would believe that 80 - 90 percent of the population buys gold.  Pulling numbers out of you know where invalidates your point and make your future points doubtful.

Sorry, that excuse is bull shit... I was apart of a 90 member guild in WoW, all of which who bought gold at one point or another... It was discussed in guild chat constantly...

People can continue to front about not buying gold, but its just like masturbation... 90% of people do it, only 10% admit to it.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by waynejr2

Sorry, that excuse is bull shit... I was apart of a 90 member guild in WoW, all of which who bought gold at one point or another... It was discussed in guild chat constantly...

People can continue to front about not buying gold, but its just like masturbation... 90% of people do it, only 10% admit to it.

That pretty much sums up your numbers.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.