Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch

This is quoted from Linkendin, so sorry no direct link:

Critical Exploit in SW:TOR Wrecking Launch

Right now the carefully orchestrated Star Wars: The Old Republic pre-order launch is unraveling. The beta testers (all of which currently in play had to pay to get early beta access) are trying to get their money's worth. Some groups, rumored to be well organised pre-launch guilds, are using an elaborate multiplayer pvp exploit to reach level 30+ (out of 50) in a matter of hours. This is especially troubling on pvp servers where at most 20% of the preordered players have been allowed on the server and the rest have nothing better to do but watch and steam.

Early attempts to discuss the exploit on the SWTOR forums were apparently deleted by BW/EA. By now the exploit is well known and there is no word from BW/EA other than:

"Hello all,

The Live Services and development teams are aware of the reports on this issue, and we're investigating. We'll take appropriate action against any players who are found to exploiting the game in any way.

Thanks for your patience while we look into the issue."

This has not left the community overly comforted. The last time I counted there were already 136 servers up. Will they do a roll back? Will they try to figure out which of the 500,000 involved players were trying to cheat and discipline those individuals? Will they just ignore the situation and have the other players attempt to avoid those servers because they are tainted?

I don't envy whoever has to make that call. While I realize that selling their beta was a hugely successful PR move, beta has traditionally had a purpose: to find bugs and exploits before retail launch. Changing beta tests into huge marketing vehicles trades one thing (quality) for another (increased pre-orders). But if you trust your customers to do your QA work for you, instead of qualified internal testers, there is a price to be paid for this and the numbers don't always (or even often) come out in the host company's favor.

True or fake ?

Added screenshot :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/warzonek.jpg/

P.S

For anyone calling this troll thread.

I just came up on this (Quoted above) on Linkendin GAMEDEV channel.

Anyone can join it. And I suggest you do.

I post it because it sounded interesting discussion.

But if you call every topic that points at some flaw or inperfection in the game "trolling" than i appologise.

And just skip to "I love this game - I am happy now" topic further on this forums

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

False.  There's some truth to the exploit, but SWTOR did NOT sell their beta.  Not via cash, preorder, CE, or otherwise.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"Critical" ... "wrecking" ...

Sounds a bit overly exagerated and dramatic to me. If people want to ruin their own leveling experience, it's their choice. I won't.

^_^

Credit or item dupes or exploits giving a direct advantage in combat is what I would call "critical" or "wrecking", personally.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Icewhite

You're two days late.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/335035/PvP-and-PvE-exploits-still-in-place.html

Oh...

Ok, i am just watching from the side ...

Is there any word on how will this be fixed ?

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by DarkPony

Sounds a bit overly exagerated and dramatic to me. If people want to ruin their own leveling experience, it's their choice. I won't.

^_^

Credit or item dupes or exploits giving a direct advantage in combat is what I would call "critical" or "wrecking", personally.

^^i agree 100%

and this is also the reason i HATE PvP.... there are a lot of PvPers that seem to only wanna rush the game get to max lvl kill everyone in site and then complain about endgame.. to those ppl i hope the ban hammer comes down HARD!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

^_^

I didnt write the text.

And I agree with you. PVE side wise...

But if you are looking at PVP side. Especially open PVP. Entire guilds being 30+ level higher than others. And got there by using exploit.

Well that is unpleasant for other pvp guilds that played fair, isnt it ?

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-Is this that whole thing where a level 50 takes new characters into PvP and they just grind? Or is this the queue/warzone ends early exploit?

I thought everyone knew about this for quite awhile? Heck, i knew about it and i didn't play one minute of beta.

Not sure that i care, since i do not PvP nor do i give a hoot as to what another player has achieved by skipping the story (one of the fun things int he game) .

Buit this, guilds finding a cheap way to level characters? Not sure i care. Whatever Bioware does or doesn't do regarding it, so long as it doesn't affect my character they're free to ban, warn, or ignore to their heart's content.

Jergis

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Lobotomist

^_^

I didnt write the text.

But if you are looking at PVP side. Especially open PVP. Entire guilds being 30+ level higher than others. And got there by using exploit.

Bioware has stated that no one (As of yesterday mid afternoon) was beyond level 30.

Also I have played for about 20 hours now and have yet to run into any bug that I would call critical or wrecking.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lobotomist

^_^

I didnt write the text.

At what point do PvP guilds play 'fair'? If the point is to win, then the PvP guilds will do whatever it takes to win. If that means run all their low level players and alts through PvP with a level 50, that's what they're all going to do.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Jergis

-Is this that whole thing where a level 50 takes new characters into PvP and they just grind?

Nope.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

also side note you would need one weekend to hit they lvl exploit, with no risk of be banned,

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Gotta laugh at the screenshot at his level, 21, doing the match properly would net him triple that and takes a similar amount of time to 3 early ending matches.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

It doesnt really matter, getting to cap in this game is nothing hard. If this game had a big grind to cap there might be some weight to to this problem. Big deal if some get to cap in 1 day, rest of the others will be there in a few weeks.

/sarcasm

I was under the impression that people actually will be playing this game for the story?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Bioware did state yesterday that no one was above level 30. However I have heard people stating they are level 40+ at this point. Hard to tell who to believe, but if this exploit doesnt get fixed it will be a huge game issue. It doesnt matter if it affects your personal story or not, its affecting your game so u should take note.
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

^_^

But it is on a PvP server, so once they begin ganking all the "noobs" then I think it will be an issue beyond just "ruining their own experience".

Also, everyone wants an even playing field, even if there is no direct connection between the people competing. I think..

A: It pisses people off who are jelouse they are leveling so easy

B: It pisses people off these guys will be "server firsts" if not "entire ToR game firsts'.

C: They are exploiting, cheaters should be banned regardless of whether they are affecting me or not. Personally I hate cheaters.

D: By exploiting, reaching the top tier, they can then gain more items/good faster than everyone else, thus saturating an early market with an abundance of items, inflating prices and controlling them.

This is just my opine.  (I did not mispell opinion, look up opine :P)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Bioware did state yesterday that no one was above level 30. However I have heard people stating they are level 40+ at this point. Hard to tell who to believe, but if this exploit doesnt get fixed it will be a huge game issue. It doesnt matter if it affects your personal story or not, its affecting your game so u should take note.

How is it affecting my game? End game content is not a limited commodity. Neither are crafting materials or quests.

If it's an exploit, it should definitely be fixed, but how exactly is it wrecking or even affecting my game?

** edit **
    This could have an impact on an open world pvp server, since you'd have a few people at max level quickly. It would not be unbalanced forever - though Bioware should quickly plug any leaks there are and possibly punish people who are knowingly exploiting the system.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

The OP is completely full of it. There is no such exploit. I am quite sure the OP is one of the disgruntled 12 year olds mad he didn't get 7 days early access because he ordered last week.

Nuff said on this bogus topic.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I couldn't care less about the levels of others. There are various people past level 30+, of course. There always are those freaks whose sole purpose it is to rush to max level because they want to feel special in any way (while in fact they are a bunch of fools with mostly no life).

@The OP: How about stopping to create threads based on any hollow claims while you even state yourself that you don't have much of a clue about it and only stand on the side. In my eyes you are getting rather close to the trolling area.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Great idea Saydien. Let exploiters run rampant because it doesnt affect YOU. God mode? Sure, doesnt affect you. Loot duping? Sure doesnt affect you. Do you see where this is going yet?
  • Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

"This is not the full update, yet - I'd like Gabe Amatangelo to weigh in. There is one important thing to note, however.

No-one is 'exploiting' this aspect of the game. We have looked at the metrics across every server, and no-one is earning an unusual amount of experience from PvP Warzones. In fact, when looking at the top-level players in the entire game, they are gaining XP fastest from completing quests. Also as of this morning, our top player on all servers was not in the 30-40 level range. They probably are now, but then they've been playing a lot - and gaining the bulk of their XP from normal quests.

In other words, whoever started this rumor was either confused or deliberately trying to start confusion.

Like I said, I'm tracking down Gabe to talk more about how Warzone XP is allocated and the design decisions behind it. Right now, however, we do not see this as an exploit. In simple terms, a player can gain more XP in the same period of time from normal play than from doing this.

More when I track down Gabe and nail him to a keyboard."

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

/endtrollthread

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by Saydien

There always are those freaks whose sole purpose it is to rush to max level because they want to feel special in any way (while in fact they are a bunch of fools with mostly no life).

This is a bit harsh.  Remember this is just a game, and people can do what they enjoy.  If people enjoy rushing to the end to see how fast they can get there, why stop them?  It's not affecting me in any way.  I tend to level slower, to each their own.

That said, if they are cheating to get there, they should get banned.  My opinion.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Jergis

-Is this that whole thing where a level 50 takes new characters into PvP and they just grind?

Nope.

-So i can safely assume we're talking about the other one i commented on.

Either way, i still don't see this as anything to be worried about. Either Bioware treats it as an exploit or they don't. PvP is about winning, i would think you shouldn't be surprised if you 'lost' by pre-ordering later than others.

Either way, happy hunting.

Jergis

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Great idea Saydien. Let exploiters run rampant because it doesnt affect YOU. God mode? Sure, doesnt affect you. Loot duping? Sure doesnt affect you. Do you see where this is going yet?

Even the legit livestream people already are easily level 35+ so I don't see the point. And on top of that posting such stuff should lead to the devs becoming aware what already happened yesterday and lead to this post of StephenReid. All that happens beyond is pointless and making the (potential) issue bigger than it is.

Hey all - while we have no definitive update on this yet (that'll come tomorrow, I hope, after our investigation concludes) I did want to point out one important thing.

There have been some suggestions of characters running around on servers in the 30-40 range today. We have the metrics here, and the highest level character as of 30 minutes ago is considerably lower level than that.

Again, we take this seriously, and we're looking to see if this is an exploit that we need to rectify - but don't let rumor and speculation run too rampant.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

But it actually affects only PvP servers and in rather limited fashion. It is, of course, "meh" that such exploit even exists, but it's hardly going to actually, you know, affect anyone.

This is not a pvp-centric game like Eve, it's not a zero-sum game, or whatever those games are called; resources can't be stockpiled and monopolised (like, say, capturing regions in Eve), but are abundant for any new player.

A week of moderate ganking is the worst that can happen.

Originally posted by leojreimroc

Originally posted by Saydien
    There always are those freaks whose sole purpose it is to rush to max level because they want to feel special in any way (while in fact they are a bunch of fools with mostly no life).
    This is a bit harsh.  Remember this is just a game, and people can do what they enjoy.  If people enjoy rushing to the end to see how fast they can get there, why stop them?  It's not affecting me in any way.  I tend to level slower, to each their own.
    That said, if they are cheating to get there, they should get banned.  My opinion.

Getting to the end as fast as possible isn't the problem. The whining and complaining that ensues because a small number of people managed to do it quickly is the problem.