Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life is Feudal... Is this a good Sandbox MMO has anyone tried it?

Comments

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

How are we supposed to have tried it, if it is not even in beta? :P

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Seems to be another of the old style ( Full loot and free PvP (except starting area).) UO type/Darkfall maybe, games.

Just in the dream (Alpha)  stages:) 

I still just see no average to large markets for these type games.  I am sure they appeal to some, maybe even a lot of people, but they never seem to get enough to last.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Has anyone tried to make such a game? Not on an MMO level. I saw a game a few years back where you were allocated an Island of sorts that you could build up in pure sandbox style and expose to PvP or not, it was up to you but the Islands all reset every 3 months or so and the game died a quiet death.

In that presentation there is a mention of FFA world PvP. That will demote it to niche in itself and unless you have a decade of dedication to content development for 10% of what a mainstream game gets in subs, you won't last with FFA PvP.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

This connection of FFA PVP, full loot and sandbox seriously needs to go away.

Its whats holding sandboxes back.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Looks like another Darkfall / Mortal Online flop waiting to happen.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by AdamTM

Agreed 100%

It is a system meant to control static content and inactivity but it has never been used for that, instead it was abused and made in to a way to restrict active players from accessing content. It's also a way to hide real content or lack of it in a game. Any FFA game I tried, when the FFA failed to work and I wasn't being made to repeat myself due to player intervention it became clear there wasn't that much to do.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

omg, people not in the know are going to think sandbox = crap at this rate

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Agreed!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm definitely watching this title, though it's no where close to release.  Definitely looking forward to trying it, and Embers of Caerus.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It's fine that some sandbox games are free for all full loot pvp.  People just need to recognize that some sandbox games aren't.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I am like the 5th to do this, but I must say I totally agree.

In a true sandbox, FFA PvP would exist, but it would be severely limited by virtual world (sandbox) mechanics to the point where PvP fans would be unhappy.  IMO every MMO should have at least 3 different PvP type servers.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Amen brother.

A lot of players would like a sandbox MMO. Not alot of those players want to be molested by the small "elite" of the PKs.

Trammel did not destroy UO. In fact it doubled UO sub base.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No way FFA pvp is what makes these games massive fun, its the only reason Darkfall and MO have lasted so long.

The fact that you can loose everythign just brings somthing extra to the game that no other mmorpg can do.

Sure these games are not for everyone as some people cant handle loosing their hard earned loot but for me and many others its the main part of the game.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Any full loot free roaming sandbox MMORPG would be successful if it had Skyrim level of detail and immersion into its enviroment.

Fact is, none of them do.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Caldrin
    No way FFA pvp is what makes these games massive fun, its the only reason Darkfall and MO have lasted so long.

That's because the PvE side in these games is full of sh...

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by tom_gore

Pretty much this. If they could create PvE safe zones while also having resource rich lawless PvP zones with full loot but no gear drops. You might find a good balance that would get way more subs that what DF or MO has.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Originally posted by tom_gore

Yep. These small indies don't have the resources to make that much content, so they fall back to the ol' King-of-the-Hill game type hoping somehow they can make some money for long enough to get the big funding and expand their game. But the PKers just kill that too, because anyone who would have stayed to see them do that gets driven out.

Once upon a time....