Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best thing to say to the shutting down is....

It is about damn time...

After all the lies

After all the missleading posts...

After all the fanbois of the NGE claimed the game was great as servers closed and people were less and less in droves only to tell us "OH NO we are busy"....

After all the online info of what Dev members did, said, left... or quit.. or jumped ship... or posted..

After all the Mr. Smedley himsef said about the game, the "MISTAKE" and still charging people money for it..

AFTER being told things, in a expac would be there and how it would function.. and lets not forget charged people but had to actually GIVE BACK MONEY on..

(I want to note something here)... SWG IS THE ONLY GAME EVER that had to PAY PEOPLE BACK AFTER LAUNCHING A EXPAC that people installed) --- Now I want you to think about this...

THEY CHARGED PEOPLE/Misslead people/HAD TO PAY US BACK...   Do you realize how bad that is?  Yet the NGE fanbois paid them... going forward... boggles my mind.

In the end this is the fact:

"If anyone remembers.." --  THAT Post.. that one post that one day...

"My UNCLE, is a friend of a friend... and this is getting ready to HAPPEN to SWG"....  you will lose everything.....".....

We warned them, we told them.... we left.   

SO you have to wonder, what Smedley was thinking... and really why he didnt listen to us. 

So sadly the score ended like this -

PRE-CU - told ya so's... 1

CU's - told ya so's ...1

NGEr's... 0

SWG fans?  Lost it all as sad as it is.

But hey... Thank God they got those paintings out there for people... for housing.. that nobody was around anymore.. lol.

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

NGE might have not turned out so well, but kudos to SOE on running the MMO as long as they did.

I'd be surprized if SWG turned a profit for SOE for the past 2-3 years.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The worst thing about it is that the players will now likely go to other mmos and everyone else will have to listen to their bs about how great the game was, so great that it's been dying on it's arse for years now.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

First, kudos to the OP!

That was a GREAT post and it should be a wake up call to everyone who thinks SOE isn't completely at fault for the failure of this game.

SWG had the "potential" to always be a GREAT game. Sadly, it never reached that potential, not NGE, CU or even pre-CU...but it was always there and hope springs eternal for some people. SOE knew that and I feel they milked the players far too long on "hope" alone.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    The worst thing about it is that the players will now likely go to other mmos and everyone else will have to listen to their bs about how great the game was, so great that it's been dying on it's arse for years now.

And bunnyhopper, this is so true. Once the game is dead, the memories/stories/tales of it will be much fonder, grander and exaggerated than ever. I look forward to making sure the truth is never forgotten though :)
  • TheiskareotTheiskareot Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by jpnz

NGE might have not turned out so well, but kudos to SOE on running the MMO as long as they did.

No... and No... this is not a Kudos?   Now-- if you say this for Everquest, that would be a correct statement.

For this they should be shamed into history as they are...

DO NOT FORGET on these very forums they were tagged many years as winning the WORST MMO OF THE YEAR award... now think about that as it stands?  I mean you could look this up - it's not hard.

SOE was the blundering issue behind so much of this, losing the Devs.. lying to people etc.. there is NO kudos needed for actually keeping anything alive??  Are you kidding?

They should have all been fired for the misleading posts and gaming damage they did.   Putting a bad name on a good IP like Star Wars..   SWG will be known as the blunder of MMOs...

"Best line ever"   "DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES WE DID"....  Sorry I cannot give Kudos for common sense mistakes and failure.

I have standards... mostly basic ones using logic, nothing fancy sorry.

And on a side note*** AT no time or way would SOE give up making money on anything if there was a profit involved:  SEE THE CLOSING OF SERVERS for your answer to "making a profit".     That dog left the house a while back...

OH also I will NOT MISS THOSE fanboi boobs... with the radio show/fans that tried to hide the truth and cover it up making the product sound good.

I cannot remember their names.. but it was like Jo jo- circus boy and Mud-kip... whatever.... They had a show thought it was so golden until the game fell apart and even they could not suuport it.

I think what I loathed the most was the false words sent out, the fake support and the lack of facing the truth about the product.

I mean as servers were BEING DELETED we had people going "OH ITS MORE FULL THEN EVER AND WE ARE DOING GREAT!"   Pay no attention to the servers going poof... thats just a little nothing... over there ignore that...

Yeah because a thriving business shuts things down... right.  Loses half a dev team staff.. Yep all normal, nothing to see here.

I think that was the biggest pain in the ass there was.    Also the NGErs and fanbois HATED seeing quotes from like SMEDLY saying how bad it was..lol  Oh man they did not like that.    Because then it lowered the intel of the people paying him for it.

Quite a wild circle for it.    I will NOT miss that crop of lies for sure.    I remember people arguing with me saying how it is good and so on... I mean I was in beta for SWG , pre-9 Jedi and played the game to the max with all my toons... SO to see or hear this crap was a joke to me.

Yeah I wont miss the lies that is for sure.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Lol they paid people back and kept the game up for years .
    And you think thats worse then turbine who did not refund after closing ac2 few months after launching an xpac.
    Now i want you to think about that
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I know a ton of mmo players and including myself, no one thought it to be that good of a game. Great ideas, not so great execution. Pre- NGE crafting would be an exception.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

MMO's today couldn't handle the mature player base of SWG. Most SWG players that I played with are in my age group of 35-45 year olds. I know it is hard to believe, but some of us stuck around after NGE and will play until the lights go out in a few days. All I can say is...see you all in SWTOR.

/salute

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

Originally posted by hercules

And you think thats worse then turbine who did not refund after closing ac2 few months after launching an xpac.

sad, but so very true, and just a very few months after soaking people for an exp.-pak.

Originally posted by hercules

Turbine in compared to SOE with the IP of Star Wars is not even close remotely.

If you think AC2 has even half of the Star Wars fans in the world I think you would need check on that.

At no time has one of the WORLDS biggest IP franchises had to pay people back.

Thats right.. the only thing with the STAR WARS title on it actually had to pay PEOPLE BACK...  that is a record blunder.

Originally posted by Jarazar

MMO's today couldn't handle the mature player base of SWG. Most SWG players that I played with are in my age group of 35-45 year olds. I know it is hard to believe, but some of us stuck around after NGE and will play until the lights go out in a few days. All I can say is...see you all in SWTOR.

/salute

I am sorry and feel bad that you paid for the NGE and even stuck around for that product.   I do feel bad for you on that note.

However, my then question comes into play of why?    Do you pay for a three legged horse?  Do you drive a broken down car that you know will not get you to point B?

I guess using some logic to understand this does not apply with the NGE.     Clearly it was a failure but at the same time I have to wonder why sit on the sinking ship.

None the less it is over and I myself am glad.    So very good to see SOE pay for this mistake. -- finally

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's unforgiveable how they destroyed SWG. Buncha panzies and jack wagons, the lot of 'em.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by TUX426

That was a GREAT post and it should be a wake up call to everyone who thinks SOE isn't completely at fault for the failure of this game.

Anyone who thinks NGE was COMPLETELY SoEs fault is a total idiot.  At the absolute least LA coud have vetoed it, and again thats the absolute least.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Ah the fond memories ! The horrendeous lag in cities and in combat. The crashing on chunking . The exploits of epic proprtions , those were the days.The Holo grind. The useless pvp battle grounds. So much wrong and so little space. I think what i'll miss the most, is the arrogance of the developers and the obscene rudeness of the forum moderators and customer support.  I remember them fondly, and they have a special meaning SOE.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Ah the fond memories ! The horrendeous lag in cities and in combat. The crashing on chunking . The exploits of epic proprtions , those were the days.The Holo grind. The useless pvp battle grounds. So much wrong and so little space. I think what i'll miss the most, is the arrogance of the developers and the obscene rudeness of the forum moderators and customer support.  I remember them fondly, and they have a special meaning SOE.

Pre-NGE SWG was an absolute trainwreck with amazing crafting and an awesome skill system (but imbalanced and lousy content to go with it)

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Pre-NGE SWG was an absolute trainwreck with amazing crafting and an awesome skill system (but imbalanced and lousy content to go with it)

While sure without doubt BOTH companies had some say, I do think since SOE was the dev team that they may have pushed or actually promised out more from the NGE then what LA understood.     As far as the game imbalance.. and so on, well that happens and in every game so far I have been in since the BBS days... that happens.

BUT -- here is the big issue.. instead of fixing it they went the "LETS CHANGE IT" route and that was the big mistake.   THE CONCEPT of pre- NGE-CU sandbox game was amazing... however the content should have had more depth, the fixes that were minor addressed as far as balance... not saying that should have been a top one to fix... to be honest no matter what people would complain about that.    

I unlocked pre-9 long before actually...   While sure I could take out a normal player pretty fast... if there was 2 or 3 I could not... HOWEVER my RISK VS REWARD (famous words)  was hefty.    I lost a lot -- mega XP or even a death, added to my belt for that time frame.   SOOO if I kept dying I would lose the toon to perma death as well.   So, as far as the RISK was involved it was strong BUT I ACCEPTED IT... the irony to that whole thing was the cries...  while I accepted my fate the irony was that the players that could rez and come right back with no loss cried.    (So odd and yet stupid).    So while some complained they never really used logic and cried more.

We will never see perma death in a good game again...  I know that now.   Risk vs Reward will not happen again... the kids from that era are grown and kids or gamers today are in the ME ME ME ME phase of gaming now.    Risk is a scarey word for them.   

None the less, we will never see a game like pre-CU SWG again in our lifetime.   It just won't happen.    I think Raph was onto something except the concept is now too big and too far past the logic of the gaming industry sadly.     People do not like things to be hard... they do not like to apply too much effort.

SEE:  Blizzard and_  Attunements,  Long Raids, Long Instances,  Harder Boss fights,  Content that takes months to clear vs a week, East access to epic gear in seconds let alone minutes... (LOL)  If that doesnt tell you anything nothing will.

When Blizzard made it so you could get instant epic gear once you reach your max level... within seconds... that alone is the answer to where the gamers are now with logic.  No time for effort.. if I dont like this raid or guild I can switch instantly and be on a different server with a different name and guild in minutes.  WIN!    lol... that is the logic now.

So in short SWG was amazing, with all its bugs and issues prior to the big change... sure it was doing more then any game could or should have -- from the 32 profs and things you could be... you WERE your own toon... special and very diverse vs what you get now.      

In the end... it will now die due to business and the customer.    If the people paying the bills had stood up more unified at the start we may have had a different result.   BUT NO, that didn't happen.   Why?   Some people have asked why?  I have seen countless posts as to why this didnt happen if everyone didnt want it?

Here is why --  Jedi:  Simply put.    While sure the cry babies were mad they had to do the village , or some said Jedi was this or that ruining the game or too powerful... more or less they wanted one.   Period... they wanted a Jedi and when you could click on Lukes head it made all the pains of the NGE almost go away.      SOOOO  Instead of looking at it from a whole... they finally got Jedi and now had to ride it out.   They had to suck it up and say "Um cough.,. yeah its a good game, Um yeah I GOT SABER!!!!!!!!".......   So now you have the people or the "HAVE NOTS" with a Jedi with no effort and they did not want to give that up at all.      SO even if they did roll it back there would be no way to save those people and thus the circle would be worse...

Instead of screwing over all the people with Jedi in the old system , they would screw over new people and old... and so on.   While people do not want to think Jedi was not a major marketing ploy or business influence they would be foolish.   It was huge... hence why you saw 10000 Jedi the day you could click on Lukes head.     THAT WAS THE BAIT... and the Hook if you will.

"LIKE THE NGE YOU GET FREE JEDI".....   And at a time when Jedi was harder or a effort to get the NGE Fanbois were born.  From there the rest of the fail is history...  

Millions of people quit...  or I dare say 75% of the playerbase whatever it was at that peak.   Also burning a lot of bridges.. huge loss of income and huge gamble. 

Which... in the end failed.   We warned them, we told them, we begged, we tried to stop or get it to be addressed.

They did not listen.

Grats.... they got what they deserve.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Six year and one month to late.

Smedley... we told you so.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

You're still here?

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by SysOpPsyche

You're still here?

That’s a new one… not!

This is a special occasion that deserves some extra trolling efforts.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    LOL what will the trolls do after tomorrow

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Theiskareot

Originally posted by jpnz

No... and No... this is not a Kudos?   Now-- if you say this for Everquest, that would be a correct statement.

For this they should be shamed into history as they are...

DO NOT FORGET on these very forums they were tagged many years as winning the WORST MMO OF THE YEAR award... now think about that as it stands?  I mean you could look this up - it's not hard.

SOE was the blundering issue behind so much of this, losing the Devs.. lying to people etc.. there is NO kudos needed for actually keeping anything alive??  Are you kidding?

They should have all been fired for the misleading posts and gaming damage they did.   Putting a bad name on a good IP like Star Wars..   SWG will be known as the blunder of MMOs...

"Best line ever"   "DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES WE DID"....  Sorry I cannot give Kudos for common sense mistakes and failure.

I have standards... mostly basic ones using logic, nothing fancy sorry.

And on a side note*** AT no time or way would SOE give up making money on anything if there was a profit involved:  SEE THE CLOSING OF SERVERS for your answer to "making a profit".     That dog left the house a while back...

Its Funny how the game continued to live past your last day dude.

It may not have had 250k subscribers every month from 2006 to 12/15/2011....but it had people that Loved to play it until the end.

And as we have seen on these forums at MMORPG.COM....there are still 2005 and 2004 and Pre-Pub 9 vets that couldn't Grow Up and Move on.

Shame that 5 years after the NGE you are still crying over it.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Sandbox

You're still here?

That’s a new one… not!

I'd echo the comment..

6 years later and you're still crying over SW:G

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I don't know why anyone would be upset over SWG servers shutting down. SWG was dead years ago - it was mortally wounded with the CU, and officially killed when they changed the entire nature of the game.

Shutting down the servers was really just SoE burying the corpse.

• rathrotrathrot Member Posts: 18

i miss the SW universe. so i'll be looking into TOR just to feel a part of that all over again.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by Sandbox

You're still here?

That’s a new one… not!

I'd echo the comment..

6 years later and you're still crying over SW:G

+1 internets

Theres nothing good in the closing of a game

Its less one option -.-

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence