Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking old, repettetive, and crappy games off top games list?

I'm pretty annoyed of this, to keep seeing the same games on top list, and hyped list. Its annoying how hard it is to bring the hype or rank of a game because people before have hyped it and now are way to lazy to change their old good rank to a crappy one ( if it does change crappy). Like one I could mention is city of heroes. I mean look at the reviews, everyone states that its repetetive and boring now, yet it still stays up there. Maybe a system to be inputed to take those off by a magority vote? And I would say world of warcraft but not completely, maybe lower them to a 7.5/7.6. Cause the reviews are alot of crappy ones and a few good ones, yet like 3 million customers can't be that wrong, so I guess it kinda deserves to stay up there. Everything else looked in good shape, so I say for a change, bring in a new top game :).

Comments

• KilguriKilguri Member Posts: 119

Just out of curiosity, why do you care so much?

*shrug* I haven't looked at the game rankings more than once or twice in the past year, and even that was just cause I was looking for a specific game and the rankings happen to appear next to the game names ::::35::

But then again, I couldn't care less how many people play, like, or overall approve of the games I like and play, maybe some people need a little more assurance... I don't know.

------------------------------------
    Always run with scissors. The quicker you go, the quicker you'll get to your destination and the quicker you'll finish using the scissors, therefore significantly reducing your chances of injuring yourself

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

That or maybe just because you don't happen to like a game doesn't mean others don't?

Those rank lists are actually pretty accurate to which games are the most popular.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Do review ratings have any sort of decay time? Say like 6 months would be good? That way the ratings would stay a bit more true rather than the "new game hype" keeping it high.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Whilst I can understand your want for something new, the problem is just that, it's your want and the user rating system is not in place to serve just one person but as wide a variety of people as possible. Certainly it's not perfect, it's obviously subject to the whims of the people but it gives an overall impression as to whats popular out there at the moment and what is not.

By asking to take away the "top" games, you are dismissing all the people/players that have taken the time and effort to review and rate the game in the first place and whether you agree with them or not, their oppinion is just as valid as yours.

• whiskx1whiskx1 Member Posts: 2

Clearly when a game has several thousand votes, single opinions tend to get washed away with the majority. Perhaps the idea of "aging" has merit and should be somehow added.

No, aging doesn't have merit. Just because a review is old doesn't mean it's invalid. And just because a vote is old doesn't mean it's a bad vote.

Yes there's some hype in there but it's counteracted by the 'hate' reviews for the most part. I do think the review system should auto-trash any review that is all 1's or all 10's because those are obvious hate/hype reviews but other than that I'd leave the reviews alone. Aging them doesn't serve any real purpose.

Sig image Pending

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Kilguri
    Just out of curiosity, why do you care so much?*shrug* I haven't looked at the game rankings more than once or twice in the past year, and even that was just cause I was looking for a specific game and the rankings happen to appear next to the game names ::::35::But then again, I couldn't care less how many people play, like, or overall approve of the games I like and play, maybe some people need a little more assurance... I don't know.

Well said.

• ConnoisseurConnoisseur Member Posts: 273

Heh, out of all the boring repetitive games: WoW, EQ2, any other mainstream leveling up PvE bullshit. CoH actually manages to be FUN.

Originally posted by srohek
    Heh, out of all the boring repetitive games: WoW, EQ2, any other mainstream leveling up PvE bullshit. CoH actually manages to be FUN.

*laughs*

Glad you like it. None of my friends or I did.

Sig image Pending

• ScorpesScorpes Member Posts: 830

Originally posted by worldboy90
    I'm pretty annoyed of this, to keep seeing the same games on top list, and hyped list. Its annoying how hard it is to bring the hype or rank of a game because people before have hyped it and now are way to lazy to change their old good rank to a crappy one ( if it does change crappy). Like one I could mention is city of heroes. I mean look at the reviews, everyone states that its repetetive and boring now, yet it still stays up there. Maybe a system to be inputed to take those off by a magority vote? And I would say world of warcraft but not completely, maybe lower them to a 7.5/7.6. Cause the reviews are alot of crappy ones and a few good ones, yet like 3 million customers can't be that wrong, so I guess it kinda deserves to stay up there. Everything else looked in good shape, so I say for a change, bring in a new top game :).

One mans trash is another mans treasure
  • ConnoisseurConnoisseur Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Elnator
    Originally posted by srohek

*laughs*

Glad you like it. None of my friends or I did.

Let me guess, you and your friends like WoW?

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

Proof that the OP is dead wrong. Games like Saga of Ryzome creeped up the charts to where it's today. I'm an avid CoH player but after beta testing and playing WoW, I could say the same thing, "It doesn't belong there"

Now I should go get my asbestos suit from all the WoW people. But it basically comes down to opinions. Most people would rather post a scathing review of a game and give it a low score instead of posting a great review and giving it a high score. Those who score the game high just rate and leave.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Yes but there are games that have been out for years that at the time may of been really good, but due to advancement and complexity may simply be good for the time it was done or for the price.
  • JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

It's simple, people need to go back and change their reviews after time if they feel a game is no longer noteworthy.

Any other artificial attempt to "age" reviews would be an act of favoritism.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh