Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion pledges to donate $1 for each digital upgrade you buy

2»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Orphes

Originally posted by Unreal024

Originally posted by Joarnaj

It's $10 and has been $10, meaning that they are actually giving 10% of their gross earnings away this holiday season. Not sure why people would actually complain about that. I'm also forced to wonder when the last time was that the tomato throwers in the room gave 10% of their income to anything.

Nobody is complaining that they are giving money to charity. It's just that, as a multi-million dollar company, it seems that they could have given more than just $1 for every $10. Especially if they are going to only run the event for three days. Why not bite the bullet for charity? Match the price and give up all of your digital upgrade earnings for three days to charity.

As it is now some of the more cynical people, like myself, see this as a way to earn some profit off of the good will of others.

It's good to be cynical.

No it isn't. It good to be questioning, but cynicism is ugly and negative.

That aside...

Why do I get the feeling that is it was Bioware saying they were giving a dollar to charity for every copy of SWTOR sold over a weekend a lot of the negativity in this thread would vanish... 

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by vesavius

It's $10 and has been $10, meaning that they are actually giving 10% of their gross earnings away this holiday season. Not sure why people would actually complain about that. I'm also forced to wonder when the last time was that the tomato throwers in the room gave 10% of their income to anything.

Nobody is complaining that they are giving money to charity. It's just that, as a multi-million dollar company, it seems that they could have given more than just $1 for every $10. Especially if they are going to only run the event for three days. Why not bite the bullet for charity? Match the price and give up all of your digital upgrade earnings for three days to charity.

As it is now some of the more cynical people, like myself, see this as a way to earn some profit off of the good will of others.

It's good to be cynical.

That aside...

Why do I get the feeling that is it was Bioware saying they were giving a dollar to charity for every copy of SWTOR sold over a weekend a lot of the negativity in this thread would vanish... 

Because you are obsessed with Bioware and try to bring it in irrelevant scenarios?

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by eyelolled
    It seems like they are using a charity to drive up business, but it's no worse then Blizzard auctioning off their garbage for charity

Blizzard did it for marketing as well which you're 100% right about.

The difference was that instead of $1 for each player upgrading, Blizzard donated all the proceeds of the sale to the kids. They didn't keep any for themselves.

Charity Auction to Benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospita

Following a recent upgrade of our World of Warcraft server hardware to improve your gameplay experience, we have decided to auction off the retired HP p-Class server blades and donate the proceeds to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®.

I think what gets people and what they don't like when companies do this in general is, if they ARE going to do it at least show some dignity and donate all the money you got, not 1/10th of what you made.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by onthestick

It's good to be cynical.

That aside...

Because you are obsessed with Bioware and try to bring it in irrelevant scenarios?

It wan't a comment on Bioware, it wa a comment on hypoc... actually, nm, self edit to avoid whatever :)

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by eyelolled

It seems like they are using a charity to drive up business, but it's no worse then Blizzard auctioning off their garbage for charity

Blizzard did it for marketing as well which you're 100% right about.

The difference was that instead of $1 for each player upgrading, Blizzard donated all the proceeds of the sale to the kids. They didn't keep any for themselves.

Charity Auction to Benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospita

Following a recent upgrade of our World of Warcraft server hardware to improve your gameplay experience, we have decided to auction off the retired HP p-Class server blades and donate the proceeds to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®.

I think what gets people and what they don't like when companies do this in general is, if they ARE going to do it at least show some dignity and donate all the money you got, not 1/10th of what you made.

I agree.  At least that way it doesn't look like a cheap publicity stunt.

That being said, Blizzard-Activision could very well have done this for financial reasons, and it is most certainly a publicity stunt as well.  They'll get a tax deduction for every dollar that is donated from the sales :)

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by onthestick

It's good to be cynical.

That aside...

It wan't a comment on Bioware, it wa a comment on hypoc... actually, nm, self edit to avoid whatever :)

Why would you assume I'm a fan of Bioware, Blizzard or any company for that matter. I was pretty clear when I said "I hate when game companies does this" but I guess skipping certain parts to try and make a point is the norm around here

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Wow, a whole dollar?  Quite the charity considering that these promotions are almost exclusively aimed at new players who want the illusion of an edge - existing players either don't care about frivolous crap, or already have their dosage.

Let's see here...

Base game without "complementary" game time: $15

Digital upgrade: $10

Cost of a single month gametime (likely choice of a cautious individual): $15

Basically, "we get $40 and a chance to pull in a continual revenue stream out of this one schmuck, but you can have one dollar."  {mod edit}