Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would make you resub to this game? (Poll)

13»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by vesavius

OK, removal (or maybe easing?) of RNG from the aquisition of essential items would be your 'Other' then?

Fair enough, you don't like the housing style they are going for, thats fair enough, but eeing as that isn't in the game yet I guess this wasn't a reason you left?

The RNG for slotting etc you mean? I believe so, though I think they have eased off on the chance to fail somewhat.I don't play anymore myself so I am not sure.

But again, this would seem to be a RNG issue you have with the game?

Actually, one of the reasons I left was because there was no form of housing. As you said, it's not even n the game yet and after this amount of time, that's pretty scandalous given how many people were requesting it or some form of it. Too little, too late is the axiom I'm thinking of here.

I do get that PoV, honestly.

Outside of the open world PvP which I liked and the Abyss fort challenges, the dungeons were simply too much to handle repetitively to handle. Dark Poeta ended up being one soggy mess after awhile and forget ever stepping in Theo again (although they did streamline it after awhile, but it was STILL Theo).

So more PvE content to cut down on repetition and provide alternate paths to level?

The other points I've stated as well which wouldn't get me to resub.

Not even if they fixed the RNG to your liking?

Also, when I leave a game for as long as I've left Aion there rarely isn't any "coming back". The longer that I (and most players in general) leave a game they've played before, the chances are they won't return or stay for any length of time when they come back. I doubt you'd find anyone who played a game for three months, then came back and decided to play it for six months. Usually the game has 'passed them by' as far as gear and stepping stone content and there is a huge disconnect between what the returnees want to do and what the existing playerbase wants to do.

I actually agree, and this why I personally would need a fresh server to re start.

I hate joining top heavy established servers in any game.

I guess what I am saying is that each of your (valid) reasons for not returning are addressable, if NCsoft have the will, imagination, or market awareness to do so.

Sadly, I think they have none of this, but this thread isn't a petition to them I guess... it's more an excercise in curiosity as to the barriers they would face if they ever wanted this game to live again.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I bought the game when it first got to the states and it was decent. It was troubling to learn that the vast majority of the content and games design was towards PvP so I did my month and unsubbed. I came back about a year later and gave it another go after reading that they had added some PvE content, but the game was still geared towards PvP. I hadn't experienced it so I got my character to a level where I ran into the other faction (Elyos I beleive it was?) and the ganking began. Seeing as how there weren't many leveling paths I had to be in that area and I couldn't get further into the game because I was getting nowhere at the rate I was going due to the camping.

I chose other on the poll. Although having PvE servers would help with what I experienced, it doesn't change the fact that the game is geared towards PvP. I dabble in PvP but I don't pay a sub to play a game just to PvP. I preferr more PvE with added PvP. I don't think I would have minded the open world PvP if there was more of an open world to avoid the griefing. I didn't make it far enough in the game to have a lot of other reasons so I'll leave it at just what I experienced and say that It willl take much more PvE content and the unraveling and self imploding of GW2 for me to come back to this game. If both of those things don't happen, then I can't see myself going back to even give it another shot.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Honestly?

Nothing.

Biggest mistake i've made in gaming was buying Aion, the features, the style, the gameplay...it's just not for me.

• FierytexFierytex Member Posts: 20

My sub is still active but I haven't logged on in several months (keeping account current for GW2 hookup).   I really loved AION for about a year-- I have a maxed sin and almost maxed cleric, sorc, and glad.  I just can't bring myself to play anymore.

My issues seem to revolve around these things:

All the good instances take too long--to clear Talocs without hurrying takes over an hour.  At lvl 55, I hate being trapped in a space that long (but get gold drops 40% of the runs so a good money maker--but a grind if you do it every other day.)

All the good instances except Taloc's require groups.  Sometimes you just don't want to be with a group.

Crafting, while a great system, takes too long --cooking--yikes.  I got to where I would just go watch tv while i crafted--which is hardly gaming.

After a year or so, it just all seems the same, no matter which class you roll.

I would like to like it again, but I just don't see it happening.

Looking forward to SWTOR and GW2.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by vesavius

Not even if they fixed the RNG to your liking?

I guess what I am saying is that each of your (valid) reasons for not returning are addressable, if NCsoft have the will, imagination, or market awareness to do so.
    Sadly, I think they have none of this, but this thread isn't a petition to them I guess... it's more an excercise in curiosity as to the barriers they would face if they ever wanted this game to live again.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say "no". Even if they put the things in there I asked for now.

As a FFXI fan, I couldn't wait for FFXIV to be released. When it was, I struggled mightily to keep playing once it was clear to me so much was missing. I saw the gaping holes but since SE promised to work on the game (which they have done admirably and truthfully) I decided to keep playing sparingly since it was free. No way would I have paid while the fixes were ongoing.

Now fast foward to Rift's launch. I played Rift's beta while I was still playing FFXIV off/on with guildies. I raved about how Rift's rifts were so much fun and even got a few people do come over and play. Now we still logged into FFXIV to stay "current" while they added new stuff and fixes, so we'd be ready when the game was, but it simply wasn't enough for me. I began to play Rift and eventually got bored after three months or so out of a six month sub.

When I decided to go back and see all the changes my friends said happened in FFXIV like crafting and exp gains, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the first two weeks back. But I found most of the guys had passed me and were doing other stuff and the population in general had moved onto dungeons they put in. I realized finally that I could not go back to FFXIV and have since uninstalled. Even Vanguard this happened; played for six months, left while they fixed it, came back and was behind the curve. This is just about any mmo made due to progression.. if you miss it, it's pretty much gone and playing catch-up will burn you the F out.

I always feel like this crazy ass guy from Star Trek: Generations on this bridge when playing games I left:

Guy spent the whole movie trying to get back to the Nexus thing but kept failing and it simply screwed up his head.

• KasreynKasreyn Member UncommonPosts: 17

Let me start by saying YES I bought the client, and have played two years. I have a 55 Temp and also SIX 30 something Elyos of varying proffession and TWO 30 something Asmo's.  I wanted to quit several times while my main was comming up, from lvl 20 to 40 was HELL, this was before the PVP buffs. It is really bad when one lvl 34 twink can take out a full party of 6 and never take any damge two shotting everyone in the group, while the elite enemies pat them on the butt. Now it is somewhat easier as a lower lvl to get things done with the buffs, it gives you some chance. The twinks hate it but F#*k them,I am not playing for their enjoyment. SO yes a PVE server is the only way I would come back! Now the straw that broke the camels back was with the event at Halloween when the brain trust put the event in the arena. Took my 55 in there thinking it would be an easy waste of time to complete the event quests, ONLY to find 5-10 lvl 55's with +15 PVP armor and weapons killing you as soon as you spawn. I made a complaint to NCSoft and they said it was playing as designed. So I left my 6 months time on the server and took it as a lesson to never pay in advance on a game in the future.

I have an artisian and master crafter in both Armor Smith and Alchemy, yes it takes to long to craft the items. I normally set it up before I go to bed and sometimes depending on how much I am crafting it will be done when I wake up. The potions sell pretty well but the armor is not that great. Spend 15 mil on materials do 5 tries and don't get a proc you might be able to sell it to the merchant for 500k. I would like to see the crafting mean something, IE you can craft better then most drops and the proc rate increase some too.

A fight where I might win or loose? That's PvP. Ganked or being ganked is not PvP.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

what would bring me back?

If they actually had some diversity to builds. It is just too simple a game.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think one thing that stands out about whats wrong with this game is that once you reach lvl 20 and your in pvp area your screwed if your a new player..crappy gear,no money..you dont stand a chance remotely of enjoying your gameplay for the next 30 lvls because you will spend most of it dead.i,m kind of at a loss to beieve that they can think this game is either balanced or kind of fair in any sense.you aint goin to attract new customers the way the game is set out atm.have to say for new peeps only option is pve servers to give them a chance.maybe i,m wrong..just my opinion though

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I chose other because I only got to Lv. 10 and jumped in to the slide show that was the main city. Even if I assume it's on my end and I am willing to upgrade my hardware, PvE in a PvP map is epic fail so they either need to make instances to level in or make PvE servers with the rift as a PvP zone.

That's not reason enough to choose other though. I saw Tera and call me shallow, just don't ask me to care but Aion needs some skimpy armor because I can go play Tera and if I'm inclined to, I can cover up my Castanic female and make her as elegent as I want. Or I can make her a righteous bitch. That's not an option in Aion.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Other:

Global:

- Tottaly remove cash shop from game or become F2P. Atm is P2P with CS.

PVP:

- Remove factions and become pvp ffa with a pk system. Rules could be adjust in each territory.

- Implement Legions war.

- Implement a deep political system based on Territory control.

- Remove personal ranks, implement a more deep Legions system and rank. All pvp goals should focus on Legions objectives.

- Remove instance pvp, with the above changes pvp is all around fortress sieges, legions war, smaller objectives around maps (like conquer small villages), etc.

PVE:

Its fine like it is.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

A good thread,

I loved AION, it was the game that I left  ... well lets just say my "previous" mmo for ... so beautiful ... so much potential, yet I found the painfully unbalanced pvp,  laughably easy PvE and horrid griefing ganking grindfest after you reached 50 (unlike some I actually found the leveling pace fine, it was after max level the real grind started) .. oh yeah and the most horrificly bad eye-stabbing crafting system of any game I have ever encountered.

I would consider trying again with  Fresh,  PvE server and some changes to alleviate the sick imbalance ... make it F2P and its a done deal.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

the only way i come back its free to play, cause it seems it from beta

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by pedrostrik

+1 for f2p aion..id deff give this game a go if it was

Originally posted by kevjards

i think one thing that stands out about whats wrong with this game is that once you reach lvl 20 and your in pvp area your screwed if your a new player..crappy gear,no money..you dont stand a chance remotely of enjoying your gameplay for the next 30 lvls because you will spend most of it dead.i,m kind of at a loss to beieve that they can think this game is either balanced or kind of fair in any sense.you aint goin to attract new customers the way the game is set out atm.have to say for new peeps only option is pve servers to give them a chance.maybe i,m wrong..just my opinion though

There is no wrong in the thread, or right,  only what would work personally for you :)

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by odinsrath

Im not big into PvP especially forced PvP games and yet Aion had *something* that had me willing to devote several years to it and it be my next big thing.

I think a PvE server and F2P would guarantee I would at least give it another go.

Creating artificial barriers to new players is a bad thing for an mmo imo .... im not going to spend 20+ hours a week playing something I am not enjoying.

Originally posted by sycofiend

Originally posted by odinsrath

Im not big into PvP especially forced PvP games and yet Aion had *something* that had me willing to devote several years to it and it be my next big thing.

I think a PvE server and F2P would guarantee I would at least give it another go.

Same

These two being rolled out with 3.0 would have been a rebirth for this game. Even just the PvE server with a 2 week rectivation event would have created so much interest. 

Ahh well, nm.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

The 2 things that killed Aion for me:

1.  PvP Balance.   Ranged classes were just too strong in the Abyss.   The netcode and the hit collision detection really made melee classes pretty useless.   It also didn't help that Assassins get on getting the short end of the stick.   They were ridiculously overpowered in Korea because they were super geared, but in the US Servers most Assassins weren't that well geared, and thus the nerfs hit Assassins with less than optimal gear extremely hard in PvP. 

2.  Gear Progression:   This is pretty much what killed the game for me.   Throughout my entire play from level 1-50, I recieved ZERO gold drops.   Before Dark Poeta, I had only seen 3 gold drops total, and of course none of them were for me.   I saw a decent amount of golds in Dark Poeta, but again, nothing for me.   This means I ended up at 50 but using a level 30 gold pvp set, since that was the only decent armor I could get without relying on RNG.    Unfortunately Assassins ended up being highly gear dependent and this just didn't cut it at end game PvE or PvP.   The only option l could really explore was to get a Miragent's set.   After failing my Miragent Balaur Hot craft, I decided I pretty much had enough.   It'd take pretty much months of farming to get any kind of useable end game gear, and the grind just wasn't worth it.    

The big problem is that the gear you can reasonablyl get (blues) are just terrible compared gold gear that requires insane luck to get.   The difference between a full set of level 50 blues and Miragents/Anuharts/Abyss is just night and day.   However, the latter is insanely hard to get (unless you get lucky).    I basically had to use a level 30 gold Abyss set at level 50 because I just couldn't get anything better.    

The easiest way to have fixed that was to nerf Miragents a bit and just make it so that the Hot Balaur Heart had a 100% chance of success.   This way everyone could have a reasonable end game setup after completing the main storyline, and they can then slowly work towards getting better end game gear.   Another method would be to introduce more armor sets to fill in the power level gap.   This way you could at least slowly work your way up a bit at a time.     

3.  RNG.   Seriously, this is probably one of the most RNG based games I've ever seen.   Pretty much the only way to gear up is to get lucky or brute force you way past the RNG with massive amounts of time and money.   PvP became RNG based with magical accuracy/magic resist procs, godstone procs, crits, etc.  

Anyways, I stopped playing about 3 months after launch, so I'm not up to date on whatever stuff they added since.   

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

I bought the game about 1 month after it released and played for about 3 months after. I really enjoyed questing up to level 25. After that I felt the game lacked and I struggled to keep interest because I felt the quests started decreasing at a rather insane rate. Then I reached the upper 30s/lower 40s and I felt the game was way too grindy.

Another reason I really enjoyed the game was because of a guild I joined (and I became really attached to them). Sadly they all quit. I'd love to give the game another chance but I see no reason if not much has changed. I found Abyss to be really fun at the time but I doubt I'd have fun if everyone is level 50 and I'm still leveling.

I also LOVED the spiritmaster class. I have never, before then and since I've played it, loved a class so much as I have this one. Yes it's a fear/cc class, but at least it's not a warlock or some sort of dark mage. :|

A new server or F2P would interest me to start playing again. I'd hope by this time the experience needed to level has been reduced.

Originally posted by indojabijin

I bought the game about 1 month after it released and played for about 3 months after. I really enjoyed questing up to level 25. After that I felt the game lacked and I struggled to keep interest because I felt the quests started decreasing at a rather insane rate. Then I reached the upper 30s/lower 40s and I felt the game was way too grindy.

Another reason I really enjoyed the game was because of a guild I joined (and I became really attached to them). Sadly they all quit. I'd love to give the game another chance but I see no reason if not much has changed. I found Abyss to be really fun at the time but I doubt I'd have fun if everyone is level 50 and I'm still leveling.

I also LOVED the spiritmaster class. I have never, before then and since I've played it, loved a class so much as I have this one. Yes it's a fear/cc class, but at least it's not a warlock or some sort of dark mage. :|

A new server or F2P would interest me to start playing again. I'd hope by this time the experience needed to level has been reduced.

yeah, apparently the XP has been brought down and old drop rates have been boosted. When I logged in last (don't remember really when that was tbh... it was in a 2 week or so reactivation event a bit back Iplayed to aound 46 and was leaving quests undone as they greyed out, and I saw around 3 golds drop for me as a pretty casual player (compared to when I played before and saw zilch..). I believe even more has been thrown in since then. 

In all honesty, Aion would be my MMO of choice right now IF they had a PvE fresh server, at least until GW2 arrives anyhow (longer if it hooked me again). I feel right now it i the game it should have been at launch, they just need to do something to appeal to the optional PvP crowd who make up the vast bulk of the market here in the West.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

I chose  A new server with fresh start.  but i wanted to add a little more to it.   (I actually resubed to zikel last week)   my biggest problem with the game was balance.  They seem to have added alot to remove that problem (Arena Gear) which isnt very hard to obtain.  i just believe that a fresh start, With all the new content and everything, but the old pvp rules (rifting) which made the game its own to me. and full pvp like intended would be my option

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

In PvE mob fights take way too long.  They need to make killing NPC's much quicker.  NPC fights take way too long and make griefing way too easy.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i would dearly love for them to implement pve servers..its not rocket science and the subs would be thru the roof based on wot most peeps are saying..it certainly would'nt hurt the game.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

i would dearly love for them to implement pve servers..its not rocket science and the subs would be thru the roof based on wot most peeps are saying..it certainly would'nt hurt the game.

I see a lot of people asking for this, but playing now and have played recently that seems the way they are going...  rifting is all but dead becasue of physical buffs on your own land.  half of balauria is cut off to the oposing faction and the abyss has really become moot since balauria.   the only pvp i get anymore is 50+ in the pvp zone of balauria and instance pvp, (dredge, and arena)

Originally posted by st4t1ck

I see a lot of people asking for this, but playing now and have played recently that seems the way they are going...  rifting is all but dead becasue of physical buffs on your own land.  half of balauria is cut off to the oposing faction and the abyss has really become moot since balauria.   the only pvp i get anymore is 50+ in the pvp zone of balauria and instance pvp, (dredge, and arena)

the problem is that they are till trying to juggle the open world gank crowd with the optional PvPers in the same space.

Devs need to learn... those two crowd don't want the same thing and one will inevitiably leave,and it's usually the optional PvPers firt in a situation like this. It's then only a matter of time, once all the optional PvP types have bailed, that the open worlders follow (usually because, funnily enough, of population issues becaue most of the players have been driven away.)

The only real solution I see is to give each play style their own space.