Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriot talks about the next successor to Ultima Online finally (NOT GARAGE SALE)

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Don't care what anyone says about the guy... he's a genious and now that he took time off and got a fresh mind... I'm interested.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

I concur.... I mean I did change my mind after the announcement of the Garage Sale but this made me happier! :) 

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

"'We're going to be building it in tools that would give us the option to go either way [3D or isometric]. But our current assumption is it would be isometric,' he said."

Go ahead, alienate a massive chunk of the MMO fanbase. This is 2011. We don't create isometric games, unless it is intentional. This will be nothing more than a nostalgia project for old Ultima fans (and, by the sound of the article, for Richard, too). Oh, but I like how "Ultimate RPG" translates into "Ultima 2" (possibly).

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

This is AWESOME to hear.  Thanks for the link, good article.  I'll try not to get my hopes up too much, but glad to hear he has "UO2-type" game in mind even if the EA thing falls through.  I Also welcome isometric if it's done right.  

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Don't care what anyone says about the guy... he's a genious and now that he took time off and got a fresh mind... I'm interested.

Yeah, but often with genious comes insanity. You have to admit he is off in the head and there is a good chance he will cock this one up also.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

He still sounds too in love with the facebook thing.  The "platform agnostic" comment definitely worries me. 

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I nearly lept out of my seat because of the amount of electric excitement that shot through my body while reading that.

I've got to temper my enthusiasm though. Garriot's track record isn't exactly squeaky clean lately...

A UO "spritual" successor, though? Yeah, count me in as someone who's extremely interested.

Gameplay is all that matters, isometic view be damned. I personally think UO still has that old-school, 90's charming look and I love it for that. Retro is not a bad thing if you ask me.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

so....isometric, and f2p....

thanks anyway.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    F2P ...

and build the game while players are playing it?

There will be like little content. Just look at Tabula Rasa. I don't think he still has it in him.

Originally posted by Ubermeh

Yeah, but often with genious comes insanity. You have to admit he is off in the head and there is a good chance he will cock this one up also.

Last time they tried to make him go Theme Park ... even a bad Richard Garriot Sandbox is better than those available.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Ubermeh

Last time they tried to make him go Theme Park ... even a bad Richard Garriot Sandbox is better than those available.

Raph Koster is the brains behind the sandbox MMO, Garriot provided the details.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Wish him success.. but i remember all the talk pre Tabula rasa, how big the talk was.. well i aslo remember how that turned out.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Why does this Has-Been deserve a thread?  He has done absolutely NOTHING positive for the MMORPG genre since 1999.  He can talk all he wants but he hasn't done any positive sh*t for this genre since people were worrying about Y2K.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Eurogamer is a trash website.  Don't beleave anything they publish there.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Comnitus

"'We're going to be building it in tools that would give us the option to go either way [3D or isometric]. But our current assumption is it would be isometric,' he said."

Go ahead, alienate a massive chunk of the MMO fanbase. This is 2011. We don't create isometric games, unless it is intentional. This will be nothing more than a nostalgia project for old Ultima fans (and, by the sound of the article, for Richard, too). Oh, but I like how "Ultimate RPG" translates into "Ultima 2" (possibly).

looks like someone hasn't heard of Diablo 3.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

why EA? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Originally posted by Warmaker

Why does this Has-Been deserve a thread?  He has done absolutely NOTHING positive for the MMORPG genre since 1999.  He can talk all he wants but he hasn't done any positive sh*t for this genre since people were worrying about Y2K.

Kinda like ... why do schools still teach about and mention past presidents... they haven't done anything since 1780 or 1800's!!! A little ungreatful for your genre I think.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by Comnitus

That's bullshit. I would gladly play new UO if it was a spiritual successor to previous UO. And i would endorse isometric view.

Diablo 3 will also have isometric view. Your point?

If they make isometric view mmo with good graphics they can make a lot bigger world than 3d counterparts with FPP or TPP and allow player housing, player run shops etc.

I think that UO [especially pre aos] is one of the best mmos out there. It allowed so many options. And on free shards even more because communities thought and added plenty new things to the games, like vampire skills, werewolfs etc with unique effects. UO rocked hard in the past.

• Originally posted by nariusseldon

F2P ... and build the game while players are playing it? There will be like little content. Just look at Tabula Rasa. I don't think he still has it in him.

You do realize that one of the most absolutely successful games ever created so far Minecraft has only recently been released however was in development and in players hands for several years now? I mean how are you going to even try and justify your response knowing about Minecraft or is that something that is best ignored when discussing designing along with player participation?

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

so....isometric, and f2p....

thanks anyway.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, hopefully he can work with EA, and make an actual UO2, and maybe get away from this facebook type thing....

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I believe in this developer and his vision.  I think it is pathetic that he has to make it come to life in a facebook app instead of having the proper funding.

Meanwhile the funding is going to TERRIBLE COOKIE CUTTER GAMES it is sick.  And players on these forums and all over the nation encourage developers to do this by playing their copy cat games.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Ultima Online Renaissance and Europa RP community. Putting the RP in the MMORPG.

And then flushed down the toilet by AoS and subsequent expansions.

What a waste.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

UO1 looks like crap....they really have a lot to work on there....

Thats he is saying that they might keep isometric view sounds very interesting. It means they haven't been totally brainwashed by the contemporary MMO standards just yet....

...when he starts talking about Facebook games and WoW my stomach begins to turn though...

....also the talk about "all the big platforms" is another vomit-near experience....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by tom_gore

Ultima Online Renaissance and Europa RP community. Putting the RP in the MMORPG.

And then flushed down the toilet by AoS and subsequent expansions.

What a waste.

LOL!  AoS combined some amazing features with some serious game changing craziness. It paved the way for the future ninjas and elves content.

Europa had an incredible RP community. I spent a couple years with the Barony of Cove and it was one of my best experiences in that game. Damn you, man. You have me all nostalgic for UO, again!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre