Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pvp?

anyone here have any idea how the pvp would work for this game?  Will it be open pvp or an consentual type?

thank you

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

Comments

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139
    It says in their FAQ, they will release more details about pvp when it's close to release. Knowing FC, we will get sneak previews on some gaming sites and there is a chance, they will say something there. But before that, it's hard to tell. If their pvp system is going to resemble something like in AO, then it will be open in the certain places or under certain conditions and consentual in other places like dueling or some sort of arena.
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

It's going to be all consensual. Either by zoning it, or agreeing to it via a dual or arena. This has already been stated in an interview, check the official forums at www.ageofconan.com for links to the interviews.

FunCom = pansies.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• dudeman123dudeman123 Member Posts: 3

::::12:: what the hell are they thinking!! this is age of conan not age of carebears!! dont think im gona play this one then. i mean how do you make a conan game thats not open pvp. just doesnt work.

• Edward78Edward78 Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by dudeman123
    ::::12:: what the hell are they thinking!! this is age of conan not age of carebears!! dont think im gona play this one then. i mean how do you make a conan game thats not open pvp. just doesnt work.

Agreed, I am no longer looking forward to it. God, why are all the MMORPGs coming out for carebears!!!!??? Well I guess true PvPers should stay with FPS games. I wish their was a site like this for non carebears!!!!!!!!

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

"You can roughly divide (Age of Conan's) PvP into three categories. First, you have one-on-one PvP traditionally found in arenas. Second, you have team based "mini-game" type of combat. The essence here is a GUI-driven match-making system which will allow you to form teams with players from all over Hyboria. You will fight it out in instanced "mini-areas" with concrete goals. Goals include, capturing the flag, annihilating the opposing team, razing a building with light siege weapons or "Kill the Lord" in which you must kill the PvP boss of the opposing team. Finally, there's "siege PvP". This will take place in the infamous "Border Kingdom" lying on the borders between Cimmeria, Aquillonia, Brythania, Nemedia, and Hyperboria.

Our goal is to create a system where you can PvP with your main character when you want to, without any permanent penalties."

Well is it a open PvP system like SB has?

it doesnt look like SB at all. from everything i've read, combat seems more like a WoW PvE server with elements of CoH thrown in. (or maybe CoH with items?) it's definitely aimed for mass market appeal. it's taking all of the "fun" MMORPG elements of CoH and WoW and adding in a new combat engine.

it's a bit too early to know how the rest of the game elements will work out. nothing has been mentioned about tradeskilling, or the economy. all the previews have been almost exclusively focused on combat and action.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

I prefer open pvp for mmo's, but I'm interested in seeing what they have planned.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I used to toss the "Carebear" term around all the time, but having played WOW and seeing people gank others 40 levels below them on a constant basis I have seen the light.. I will take AO's PVP (or something similar to that) any day of the week.  People who run around ganking others (Carebears) that can provide little to no resistence are cowards. 

Carebear PVP (as some will call it) > Coward PVP

Im glad Funcom will not give into the skilless gankers, Funcom will show people you can have a Entertaining PVP MMORPG without giving into the kiddies. AO didnt have a All open PVP system yet I PVPed constantly and it was 100 times more Enjoyable then the back and forth Tennis that is WOW.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

If designers would get off their lazy asses and create a system that didn't completely cater to exploiters, maybe ganking wouldn't be as prevalent.

But then, that would require innovation.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• Aarni_JoakimAarni_Joakim Member Posts: 9
    There has been a serious lack of innovation amongst the game developers lately. That does not of course apply for all the devs out there, but when you look at a title like WoW that offers absolutely nothing new, you quickly start hoping for more innovative games. At least I do.
  • CearaCeara Member Posts: 75

people complain about being  ganked the very reason that makes a game a palm sweaty knee klnocking experience

what remains after you take out open pvp is a fairyland for fairies probably made by fairies too

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

I would have thought open ended PvP would be a cornerstone for a game called "Age of Conan"......

I am afraid this game will have little to do with Robert E Howard's fantastic world and is just using the name of "Conan" to sell yet another cookie cutter MMORPG.

I am taking a wait and see approach though.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

You people complaining trip me out and I hope you decided not to get this game.. If you played the other Funcom game AO you would know that PVP was all over the place in that game. Just because you cant go out and gank a lvl 5 while your a lvl 45= carebear???

Funcom set up rules in PVP to stop the ganking freckle faced Kiddies from running around trying to stroke their little egos. They did a great job, does that mean PVP didnt happen? Keep thinking that, PVP was all over the place and unlike alot of MMORPG's it actually had a point to it (Towers).

Hopefully they dont give into the ganking skilless scrubs and bring us something simular to the PVP they brought to us that played AO back in the day before Shadowlands.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by Tinybina

You people complaining trip me out and I hope you decided not to get this game.. If you played the other Funcom game AO you would know that PVP was all over the place in that game. Just because you cant go out and gank a lvl 5 while your a lvl 45= carebear???
    Funcom set up rules in PVP to stop the ganking freckle faced Kiddies from running around trying to stroke their little egos. They did a great job, does that mean PVP didnt happen? Keep thinking that, PVP was all over the place and unlike alot of MMORPG's it actually had a point to it (Towers).
    Hopefully they dont give into the ganking skilless scrubs and bring us something simular to the PVP they brought to us that played AO back in the day before Shadowlands.

Amen.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• TildenTilden Member Posts: 94

Gank-jerks love to call for PvP as a "realistic" element to a swords and sorcery game. Then they accuse anyone who doesn't want open ganking as a "carebear."

The best way to shut up any gank-jerk is to agree to open gank-PvP under equal-realistic elements.

Want to gank someone 40 levels below you to show them how cool you think you are? Fine. Now that you have murdered a fellow citizen of the community, the local militias will now gank YOU on sight and steal all your crap. NO society in history has ever condoned open murder of its citizens with NO consequences. Neither would Hyborian society.

I'm all for open PvP that is realistic and fair. I play in the best PvP MMOG for realism and brutality (WWIIOL). These gank-whiners want PvP? Let them play realistically.

Personally, I'm rather sick of the gank-whiners demanding PvP under any circumstance with no consequences, except to the victims. What a load of crap.

Games:
    WAR, LotRO, AO, GW, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, Vanguard, CoH, EVE, HZs, SO, MxO, SWG, DAoC, WoW, WWIIOL
    --------------------------------------

“There's a world behind the world, Professor Robinson. Lie once, cheat twice and everything becomes clear. Do not mistake my deception for a character flaw. It is philosophical choice, a profound understanding of the universe. It is a way of life.” - Doctor Smith

• toeblasttoeblast Member Posts: 11

Im sitting in a bar and enjoing my ale, when some punk start to talk crap about cimmerians. I draw my sword preparing to slice his head of, but for some reason i cant move my sword arm because of "pvp not allowed in this district".

GIMME A BREAK! Here i am hoping for a game free for "carebear" elements. Considering the fact that 95% of the player will be age 20+ i dont see any "ganking problem". And please dont compare this game to WoW, im looking forward to AoC but if it will be like WoW PvE with CTF im going to bury myself!

Set out some guards in crowded areas, then they will come running if you start killing people in a bar or out on the street. And if you by any chance manage to get away from the guards(should be strong and many), everyone in the town/city would look for you and there would be some huge award for your head. Now gankers cant visit this town ever again, or not for a very long time!

You are all noobs!

I remember reading about this guard idea way back when PC Gamer had their article on ultima online 2, but it was never launched.

There must be many reasons why that system does not or will not work. Although I do remember random guards in freeport constantly killing my wood elf as I was sitting near the entrance to town, DAMN YOU FREEPORT!!! image 

Anyway no amount of complaining is going to change what funcom is doing with AoC.

• TildenTilden Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Ragalorn

I remember reading about this guard idea way back when PC Gamer had their article on ultima online 2, but it was never launched.

Acctuuualllly...... UO2 was bought and launched as SWG. There, you have a temporary flag system for certain faction activities.

Hmm, no, if I remember correctly, the temp flag only served to allow you to be seen as a target by other PCs. I don't think the NPC base was affected. Can't be that much of a stretch to turn on an aggro condition when a character is flagged. As you said, guards from different towns in EQ would aggro based on race - certainly they could aggro based on a flag.

Much like being a total boob and hitting "a" when looking at a guard as part of "hail" without hitting enter first. You attack the guard and you have instant aggro. But the aggro is gone after you die. That had to be some kind of temp flag for NPCs.

Games:
    WAR, LotRO, AO, GW, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, Vanguard, CoH, EVE, HZs, SO, MxO, SWG, DAoC, WoW, WWIIOL
    --------------------------------------

“There's a world behind the world, Professor Robinson. Lie once, cheat twice and everything becomes clear. Do not mistake my deception for a character flaw. It is philosophical choice, a profound understanding of the universe. It is a way of life.” - Doctor Smith

Personally, I'm rather sick of the gank-whiners demanding PvP under any circumstance with no consequences, except to the victims. What a load of crap.

I do agree that there are 12 year old gankers out there, but everyone who wants open PvP is not one, & if you didn't read AoC is seposed to be a mature rated game.

• lukoluko Member Posts: 4

I want these game !

Originally posted by toeblast
    Set out some guards in crowded areas, then they will come running if you start killing people in a bar or out on the street. And if you by any chance manage to get away from the guards(should be strong and many), everyone in the town/city would look for you and there would be some huge award for your head. Now gankers cant visit this town ever again, or not for a very long time!
    that's basically EVE online. open ffa pvp with looting, but if you pk in a high security area you get blown to bits by the police and lose your ship and items. i really like the way it is implemented.

sounds like a good solution 'til everyone gets attached to their expensive ships and uber items in which case no one wants to enter low security space. all of the "hardcore" ffa pvp advocates suddenly become timid or form packs that hunt at chokepoints to gank single ships. kinda interesting.

• gammorazgammoraz Member Posts: 37

I used to toss the "Carebear" term around all the time, but having played WOW and seeing people gank others 40 levels below them on a constant basis I have seen the light.. I will take AO's PVP (or something similar to that) any day of the week.  People who run around ganking others (Carebears) that can provide little to no resistence are cowards. 
    Carebear PVP (as some will call it) > Coward PVP
    Im glad Funcom will not give into the skilless gankers, Funcom will show people you can have a Entertaining PVP MMORPG without giving into the kiddies. AO didnt have a All open PVP system yet I PVPed constantly and it was 100 times more Enjoyable then the back and forth Tennis that is WOW.

Craibear.

Originally posted by gammoraz
    I used to toss the "Carebear" term around all the time, but having played WOW and seeing people gank others 40 levels below them on a constant basis I have seen the light.. I will take AO's PVP (or something similar to that) any day of the week. People who run around ganking others (Carebears) that can provide little to no resistence are cowards.
    Carebear PVP (as some will call it) > Coward PVP
    Im glad Funcom will not give into the skilless gankers, Funcom will show people you can have a Entertaining PVP MMORPG without giving into the kiddies. AO didnt have a All open PVP system yet I PVPed constantly and it was 100 times more Enjoyable then the back and forth Tennis that is WOW.Craibear.

What is a Craibear??

• NeymozeNeymoze Member Posts: 9
    It likes me more cool if there is a "WAR" in this game like in word of warcraft.
    That the 3 races fight eachother.
    Arena and duels suck -.- image