Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Pre-Launch Interview with Dallas Dickinson

13»

Comments

• Toto020Toto020 Member Posts: 43

Without going into details about the game and the testing process, i will tell you this game is a joke.  If they launch with what I played in beta i believe many of you will turn in your subscriptions within a month. 

Unfortunately, this game lacks many of the features that MMO's have after 2005 and after 5 years and $80 million spent on the project I'm suprised Lucas let them get away with it.

Believe me when I say that I would rather play KOTOR I or II, as it is a better gaming experience and provides more options for the player.

Now there are those that are and will be faithful to Bioware and EA, but I would rather play a game in which the Devs do not ignore creative and constructive feedback provided by testers and fans of the lore to make a solid experience. 

All in all a 6 out of 10 and I'm being generous.  Sorry Bioware but it'll go F2P within the year...

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

What the F is a grace period on a MMO? I've been reading these posts and seeing people talk about them and I can not for the life of me figure out what it would be/do?

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Toto020

Without going into details about the game and the testing process, i will tell you this game is a joke.  If they launch with what I played in beta i believe many of you will turn in your subscriptions within a month. 

Unfortunately, this game lacks many of the features that MMO's have after 2005 and after 5 years and $80 million spent on the project I'm suprised Lucas let them get away with it.

Believe me when I say that I would rather play KOTOR I or II, as it is a better gaming experience and provides more options for the player.

Now there are those that are and will be faithful to Bioware and EA, but I would rather play a game in which the Devs do not ignore creative and constructive feedback provided by testers and fans of the lore to make a solid experience. 

All in all a 6 out of 10 and I'm being generous.  Sorry Bioware but it'll go F2P within the year...

And that is YOUR OPINION and nothing more. I beta'd this game too. Its very good. Yes, they are missing some features, but I haven't had this much fun in an MMO since '99. 

Originally posted by Moirae

And that is YOUR OPINION and nothing more. I beta'd this game too. Its very good. Yes, they are missing some features, but I haven't had this much fun in an MMO since '99. 

Not just my opinion but a sizable portion of the testers as well.  As I said, have fun, but I guess only positive reviews need apply.

Some features?  Have you played a MMO since 1999?  This game spent all it's money on voice acting!  Do you deny KOTOR I & II gave you more options?

I just wish sites like this would stop throwing softballs at the devs, both from the community and the journalist.  It's no wonder MMO's aren't pushing the boundaries of what computers can do.  I guess cloning other games and then pretending that the work done by the devs is revolutionary works for you then.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Not just my opinion but a sizable portion of the testers as well.  As I said, have fun, but I guess only positive reviews need apply.

Some features?  Have you played a MMO since 1999?  This game spent all it's money on voice acting!  Do you deny KOTOR I & II gave you more options?

People often do that...use words like 'us', 'we', 'all my guild', 'all of my friends', 'all the testers'..and so on to make their opinion have more weight. I am also a tester and i do not agree with you unless you got a link, data or stats to prove that 'sizeable portion' of the testers agree with you? got anything? 

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

Well unfortunately, you got me there, i guess all the posts from people in the Game test forum indicating they are cancelling or talking about many of the failings fails to prove to you... 

Oh no, you get a pass because it can't be shared here...  But...  there is a poll I found recently in the forum that shows over 30% beleive the game will be F2P within a short period of time...  If you're a tester you can find it.

I also think it's funny Bioware is wiping the forums before the game goes live so that people not involved in beta can't see that they ignored us when they log in the first time.

if you enjoyed it great, I'm sure BW and EA appreciate your money and vaidation that mediocre work is acceptable as long as the license is available. 

Originally posted by onthestick

People often do that...use words like 'us', 'we', 'all my guild', 'all of my friends', 'all the testers'..and so on to make their opinion have more weight. I am also a tester and i do not agree with you unless you got a link, data or stats to prove that 'sizeable portion' of the testers agree with you? got anything? 

So your a follower and won't conceed a point unless I prove to you that other people think differently, then you'll change your opinion?

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Originally posted by Theely

What the F is a grace period on a MMO? I've been reading these posts and seeing people talk about them and I can not for the life of me figure out what it would be/do?

The grace period is the time when people can have a civilised conversation about the pros and cons about the game, usually ends 2 hours after the game has been announced though

Originally posted by Mavacar

The grace period is the time when people can have a civilised conversation about the pros and cons about the game, usually ends 2 hours after the game has been announced though

Agreed!  Maybe i was a little harsh, but If I started with "Buyer Beware" I'm sure I would have gotten the same response.  in the forums it was difficult to have a good constructive discussion about improving the game without getting the same feedback.

Personally,I just get annoyed by the fluff questions.  Beleive me I love Star Wars, the lore, the books, the movies, the comics and toys and I wanted this game to succeed I hope it does but the realization is many people may be disappointed with the results.  Again, Playing KOTOR I & II was a more enjoyalbe experience for me.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

If you redeem a preorder code you'll be granted Early Access to the game at some point between December 13 and 19. Early Access ends at Dec. 19 10:01PM EST, however, and the full launch begins at midnight on the 20th (two hour gap). If you do not have your full RETAIL key (from the box, for example) you will not be able to play after Early Access until you redeem your retail key. A "grace period" would give you a certain amount of time to enter your full retail key before being locked out of the game.

Hope that helps!

Well unfortunately, you got me there, i guess all the posts from people in the Game test forum indicating they are cancelling or talking about many of the failings fails to prove to you... 

Oh no, you get a pass because it can't be shared here...  But...  there is a poll I found recently in the forum that shows over 30% beleive the game will be F2P within a short period of time...  If you're a tester you can find it.

I also think it's funny Bioware is wiping the forums before the game goes live so that people not involved in beta can't see that they ignored us when they log in the first time.

if you enjoyed it great, I'm sure BW and EA appreciate your money and vaidation that mediocre work is acceptable as long as the license is available. 

Not as many as you're pretending there were. And thats the truth. 

Originally posted by Moirae

Not as many as you're pretending there were. And thats the truth. 

Excuse me, did provide you proof?  Is the poll is still available to vote on?  Is it a sampling of testers?

Seeing as all those responses should be yes I fulfilled my requirements to provde you proof, you can retract your comments, apologize or just buzz off now.  Have a good day!

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Most retailers like Amazon and all are supposed to deliver the box by the day of the pre-launch (originally 13th) so it shouldn't be an issue ?

I'm more concerned about EA support and lack of skill tho. They already managed to screw my account preorder-wise and i had to create a new one (amazon sent me a wrong key, EA removed it from Origin but didn't fix swtor website, so i couldn't enter my new key...).

They are the most unskilled piece of trash when it comes to release and support, just remember the mess of BF3 release in non-uk Europe, where basically anyone who didn't buy on Origin had to wait 24 hours to play cuz their key could not be pushed in.

I kinda predict the same for SW:TOR, for anyone (including me) who didn't (or couldn't due to their shitty "payment authorization failed") buy from Origin will just be screwed on release day when they key-in their CD-key. We'll see (again) the infamous never-ending refresh animation, then the nice little pop-up saying "yeah we know we got problem with key authentification".

I hope they learnt from BF3 Europe disaster and will get their stuff straight because EA = 0 skill. Bioware better beware.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

Originally posted by haibane

Most retailers like Amazon and all are supposed to deliver the box by the day of the pre-launch (originally 13th) so it shouldn't be an issue ?

I'm more concerned about EA support and lack of skill tho. They already managed to screw my account preorder-wise and i had to create a new one (amazon sent me a wrong key, EA removed it from Origin but didn't fix swtor website, so i couldn't enter my new key...).

They are the most unskilled piece of trash when it comes to release and support, just remember the mess of BF3 release in non-uk Europe, where basically anyone who didn't buy on Origin had to wait 24 hours to play cuz their key could not be pushed in.

I kinda predict the same for SW:TOR, for anyone (including me) who didn't (or couldn't due to their shitty "payment authorization failed") buy from Origin will just be screwed on release day when they key-in their CD-key. We'll see (again) the infamous never-ending refresh animation, then the nice little pop-up saying "yeah we know we got problem with key authentification".

I hope they learnt from BF3 Europe disaster and will get their stuff straight because EA = 0 skill. Bioware better beware.

Really? My Amazon CE order says its supposed to arrive on Dec 22.

As for EA, we've barely heard a peep out of them. Calm down. 

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Man I pray they fixed the leveling.. it was SO easy. I have never had a easier leveling MMO. Sorry World Of Warcraft was not this easy. It was so easy to get to 25-30 in just two days without any effort. This will kill it fast..

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Your 'No Grace Period' SUCKS! What a waste of money on my CE.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by dubyahite

No you don't need Origin if you go digital. That is just where the pre-orders are handled.

I pre-ordered on origin, and I'm downloading the client right now, straight from Bioware's website. 

Uh uh and where's ur key dude ? It's not cuz u have the game installed on ur PC that you can play, you need the key...

It's odd that Amazon told u that u'll receive on 22, maybe it's amazon US, cuz here it's clearly written that it'll arrive on the 15th.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'm so glad Amazon will be sending the game to me before the launch date.. So I will have the key before the Early Access ends.

Originally posted by Taiyoh

I'm so glad Amazon will be sending the game to me before the launch date.. So I will have the key before the Early Access ends.

Amazon told me that the arrival date would be Dec 22. How are they sending yours to you before the game goes live? 

• ssjdagasssjdagas EVE Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 29

The only thing I was missing in beta was a font size option. I really hope they add that. Most games have UI size options so not even having font size options seem very strange.

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

Too bad no questions about space.  L:ike how did people respond?

These folks who say they like space in TOR are scaring me. It is by far the worst attempt at space warfare in the last 15 years , as far as I have seen.

So you like a boring browser space combat? Fine but do not act like it is good people, whether you like it or not it is a joke.

I can see a certain type of person enjoying space for 10 to 30 minutes, but not going back for weeks.

It brings to mind those free game sites with the mostly horrible indie games. They should have left space alone if this was the idea.

It would have been superior to let us place houses on certain planets. Some in PvP areas.

I will be playing this game but I know it wont be for long. The story is fine, and fun. But this feels like the most clausterphobic AAA MMO yet. Crafting is a joke of a mini game, our ships are transporters we have to go out of our way to get to. Grouping with friends seems problematic with different classes.

PvP feels extremely pointless, and is another mini game. The classes are the same on both sides "snooze", no creatvity there.

They have done a few things really well, but it would be nice to see fanbois step back and say to companies, why are you giving us less creativity in MMO's then 10 years ago?

The newer MMO crowd has a crazy ability to not only tolerate mediocre or worse, but to praise and defend it.

You do not have to hate a product while demanding better. People have lost sight that companies do what we say. 

Everyone would like better space,crafting and PvP, yet a depressing number will simply say it is fine.

I hope everyone supports the MMO's that are trying to give us deep gaming. I would take a game with a steady 500 k subs, that provided deep gameplay.

I am not negative only, I praise TOR for what it does well, but some things really well and others horrible needs to be admitted and talked about without people being fanbois or the other extreme.

TOR is too much of a to do list and not enough "world"

"running here to get quest, running there to complete quest" and doing that thousands of times is not fun. It is something, but nobody is giddy doing yet more quest at level 30.

(people should see themselves at that point, irritable and zoned out). We simply need a much broader world and realized world.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Ramzeppelin

The newer MMO crowd has a crazy ability to not only tolerate mediocre or worse, but to praise and defend it.

And the "older" MMO crowd has enough arrogance to think that they speak for everyone and that they alone decide what is a quality game and what is not.  

This game would NOT be better with no space combat than what it currently has.  Space combat, as of now, is a mini game that offers a shit-load of experience.  While the majority of us, myself included, would prefer to see it free form, that doesn't change the fact that it offers a way to pick up experience and leveling when you need a break from questing.  As far as space simulators, it's not very good.  As far as MMO minigames, it's fantastic since it offers so much XP.  And the thing is, it CAN be expanded and improved in the future, and Bioware has already hinted that it will.

PvP in this game is anything but pointless, and it doesn't sound like you played any if you actually did beta it.  The instanced PvP is your standard themepark style, but Huttball is an enormous amount of fun.  The open world PvP objectives on Ilum are a feature missing from a lot of themepark MMOs these days, and the FFA PvP in Outlaw's Den simply isn't done at all apart from true sandbox games.   Anyone who says the PvP in this game is boring hasn't played it.  

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the faults of the game, as I have a laundry list myself of things I'd like to see improved.  But the condescending attitude some people, like yourself, have towards people that actually enjoy this game is becoming annoying as hell.  Stop speaking for the masses, and stop acting like the people who enjoy this game should be demanding more from it.  If they love the game, then who are you to speak for them and tell them they are misguided, or settling for mediocrity?  

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Nice info can't wait!

As to the "this is going to suck" crowed. Needless to say, WoW was talked about the same way as this game is. I see it failed really badly o_0, point being, you may want it to fail and beleive it's a bad game. Alas, your wrong , just as I was about WoW. Still hate WoW, never will play it, but it became a smash hit because it was dumbed down, nothing to say but wow, I am shocked to this day that WoW suceeded so well.

Eh, one to their own, but never say you speak for a majority, because ... you never do.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"