Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No macros? ok.. no reactive indicator? really?

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by rhorn842

I agree with this - The game in it's current state is about as easy as they come short of Rift and woW yet it's still too complicated for some people.  At what point is enough enough?  When the game plays itself?  How hard is it to figure out what keys to smash and when to smash them? Why do we need dual speccs? is PvE really that hardcore in thsi game?  

Not sure if you played in earlier builds, but the most recent build has significantly ramped up difficulty. Not sure if you were running the 1-20 content or some of the actual later game flashpoints, but game difficulty can't be described as easy anymore. At the very least it is average, I'm sure several players would call it difficult.

Added new moves to silver/gold mobs. If you don't use interrupts on some of these skills they will kill you.

Added new boss strategies, you will wipe on certain bosses if it is your first encounter and you have no strategy.

Added new patrol mobs in flashpoints, if you aren't careful with your pull you will get adds.

Added more mobs pulls where additional mobs jet-pack/zip-line in to add more enemies to already complicated pulls.

These are just a few recent changes to the game.

And to really top it all, there is absolutly no death penalty, none, nada, nothing.

There are games with that feature if that's what interest you. SWTOR doesn't, so yeah, I don't think this game will work for your taste. Hope you find one that will appeal to you!

How about I decide that? 

IF you read the whole post I wasnt asking for a death penalty, so yea, if you can't read I  guess this game will work for you since it's not required.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Zeal77

@OP. Be glad and gratefu; you're gonna learn how to play an MMO without handholding.

What he said!

this game hand holds ALL over the place you want no hand holding go play EVE. To say this game isn't a hand holding MMO like all the others like it is a joke. Not saying that's bad but you are making it out ot be something its not

So look at this as an effort in reducing the amount of hand holding. you should be happy.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by BarCrow

Reactive indicators are ok. I just notice when the action key is available and usually hit that. Never really been a problem. Hardly ever notice the  larger re-active icon and rarely use it anyway. They're nice but hardly affect gameplay imo.

Certain classes, specifically the Operative/Scoundrel AC, work off an ability that procs at different rates from different abilities. You then have a 10s buff that thatcks up to 2 times to activate 2-3 of your most important healing AND damage abilities. It's not immediately obvious when it procs and it's not immediately obvious you have the buff on by looking at your character. While it is possible to play the class as stands, it would definitely be easier if there was some more visible notification.

And it isnt necessary to add these features, but they would improve gameplay, and don't need any major game overhaul changes. Something like this I would hope to be added in the first 1-2 months after launch.

this is a great example and probably should of added it to my OP but yes some classes are effected a lot more than others

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

@OP. Be glad and gratefu; you're gonna learn how to play an MMO without handholding.
    What he said!

this game hand holds ALL over the place you want no hand holding go play EVE. To say this game isn't a hand holding MMO like all the others like it is a joke. Not saying that's bad but you are making it out ot be something its not

Eve is boring as all get out. I played for the better part of 3 months. Then frankly I was like "dude...everything is practically on auto pilot and I'm just learning things by clicking a few buttons and logging in a week later to learn next ability...wth?"

And cancelled sub. LOL.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

Originally posted by Cameo3

Eve is boring as all get out. I played for the better part of 3 months. Then frankly I was like "dude...everything is practically on auto pilot and I'm just learning things by clicking a few buttons and logging in a week later to learn next ability...wth?"

And cancelled sub. LOL.

I don't play EVE or care for it either but is a hardcore game that has a steep learning curve. Especially when you have perma-death on ships

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

And cancelled sub. LOL.

I don't play EVE or care for it either but is a hardcore game that has a steep learning curve. Especially when you have perma-death on ships

So is the cash curve though. A guild can give you a trillion of the ingame currency and it's like chump change for 'em. Then you go buy another one and rinse and repeat until the enemy is dead.

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I would like to see where they are adding the UI thing and allowing Mods and dual speccing..I don't recall these post.

i don't remember reading anything about dual-spec or macros or anything but UI changes I rememeber reading

Yes, they said they were doing some things for the UI,  but they did say they were going to add dual spec too.  They said they were "looking into" the use of macros,  but it has not been confirmed whether they will add them into the game.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Yes, they said they were doing some things for the UI,  but they did say they were going to add dual spec too.  They said they were "looking into" the use of macros,  but it has not been confirmed whether they will add them into the game.

amazing so all these things everyone on my thread are bitching about how they are glad are not in the game are coming or being looked into.. imagine that

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by BarCrow

Reactive indicators are ok. I just notice when the action key is available and usually hit that. Never really been a problem. Hardly ever notice the  larger re-active icon and rarely use it anyway. They're nice but hardly affect gameplay imo.

Certain classes, specifically the Operative/Scoundrel AC, work off an ability that procs at different rates from different abilities. You then have a 10s buff that that stacks up to 2 times to activate 2-3 of your most important healing AND damage abilities. It's not immediately obvious when it procs and it's not immediately obvious you have the buff on by looking at your character. While it is possible to play the class as stands, it would definitely be easier if there was some more visible notification.

And it isnt necessary to add these features, but they would improve gameplay, and don't need any major game overhaul changes. Something like this I would hope to be added in the first 1-2 months after launch.

Fair enough. I only played the agent to level 18th so I didn't notice much of that. There was the snipe buff that you had that made next snipe 100% but that's different since it didn't really proc. I see your point and will probably notice it more often when I play an Agent througout his full story as it was a fun romp when I was in Beta.

amazing so all these things everyone on my thread are bitching about how they are glad are not in the game are coming or being looked into.. imagine that

Unfortunately, yes.  I'm against macros in SWTOR,  but people want them...  I do really want UI changes,, and am not against the Dual Spec idea. (within reason).  

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

This is a text book case of making a mountain out of a molehill.  Really, you can't glance down at your skill bar for half a second to see whether an ability is on cooldown or not?

There aren't a lot of abilities that have long cool downs where you would need to continuously be glancing back to the bar.. or keeping your eyes trained on it.

There are procs in this game that are randomly applied that have significant affects on abilities. Theses aren't just binary can't or can use them procs.

As an example, for Assassins, exploit weakness is a random proc on melee damage that reduces the energy requirements of Maul (backstab) by 50%, as well as adds an armor bypass aspect to the skill. Using Maul outside of exploit weakness is inefficient, but the game in no ways prevents me from using it(nor should it). What this results in is me hawking my buff bar looking for that extremely small little buff icon every 10 seconds to see when that skill procs.

This is sloppy game design, it's not fun and it detracts away from the actual battle. Is it really too much to ask for some sort of animation or sound affect on my character? It doesn't have to be big or flashy, but something so I don't have to stare at a damn buff bar

Originally posted by Draemos

There are procs in this game that are randomly applied that have significant affects on abilities. Theses aren't just binary can't or can use them procs. As an example, for Assassins, exploit weakness is a random proc on melee damage that reduces the energy requirements of Maul (backstab) by 50%, as well as adds an armor bypass aspect to the skill. Using Maul outside of exploit weakness is inefficient, but the game in no ways prevents me from using it(nor should it). What this results in is me hawking my buff bar looking for that extremely small little buff icon every 10 seconds to see when that skill procs.

This is sloppy game design, it's not fun and it detracts away from the actual battle. Is it really too much to ask for some sort of animation or sound affect on my character? It doesn't have to be big or flashy, but something so I don't have to stare at a damn buff bar

+1 thank you another another good point towards my OP

Unfortunately, yes.  I'm against macros in SWTOR,  but people want them...  I do really want UI changes,, and am not against the Dual Spec idea. (within reason).  

I don't think I'd use the MMORPG forum as a guideline to what is unfortunate or fortunate. Most everyone on these forums are fringe gamers whose idea of a perfect game would end up as a fantastic flop
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

What he said!

I have been playing EvE, until I get my access to SWTOR, but thanks. 

You seem pretty confident and proud, I like that. One thing I do understand, everyone else outside your big head have various learning curve. What you see as another hand held MMO can come across difficult to grasp or understand to others. Sorry, but not everyone can be as PRO as you.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by waynejr2

Logic:  They made a choice to not include them at release because they have limited dev resources and they would rather put out the game rather than delay it putting in every little feature.

with the largest budget of any MMO released so far and taking ideas from years of MMO games from the past.. please

I don't think you wouldn't complain if you were handed your perfect game.

Adapt to the situation unless you can't.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

I have been playing EvE, until I get my access to SWTOR, but thanks. 

You seem pretty confident and proud, I like that. One thing I do understand, everyone else outside your big head have various learning curves. What you see as another hand held MMO can come across difficult to grasp or understand to others. Sorry, but not everyone can be as PRO as you.

how in any way is SWTOR a hard game or unlike any other big MMO release of the last few years in that aspect? MMOs of the past years have not been made difficult games and are made to cater to casual gamers. This game even more so cause they are trying to bring in the single player crowd as well.  So I really don't see how I'm coming off as having a big head by stating how these games are designed.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

And cancelled sub. LOL.

So is the cash curve though. A guild can give you a trillion of the ingame currency and it's like chump change for 'em. Then you go buy another one and rinse and repeat until the enemy is dead.

EvE is a great game, again another game not for everyone.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Logic:  They made a choice to not include them at release because they have limited dev resources and they would rather put out the game rather than delay it putting in every little feature.

with the largest budget of any MMO released so far and taking ideas from years of MMO games from the past.. please

I don't think you wouldn't complain if you were handed your perfect game.

Adapt to the situation unless you can't.

sorry if expecting basic F2P feautres in the highest budget MMO ever is such a ridiculous argument. Agree or not I don't think the argument is unreasonable

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Though I do agree that the game is made significantly more approachable and manageable with the use of  graphic indicatiors for both procs and cooldowns, I never found them absolutely necessary. In my three different chances at the SWTOR beta, I managed to get an Agent to 23 and Sith Warrior to 27, and though I am now aware you come into many more abilities of the remaining levels, at the current step I never found anything overwhelming to keep track of.

As a Jugg SW, I was always on top of my sundering strikes and blatantly aware when my retalliation was up in coordination with its talented buff. IMO, it was all based on how familiar I had become with the class over the course of leveling, instancing, and PVPing. Do I consider myself a better person because I did't use macros or flashy notifications? Not really, though I think it does show an actual desire and dedication besides simply going through the motions.

Yes, notifications would make things easier. Macros would do so tenfold. Do we NEED them? Hell no, not from my experience. Could they help? Well, duh. 

After note: I can understanding focusing their attention to much more important content and updates. I mean, WoW did't get very blatant with their proc graphics until Cataclysm. There's plenty of more important things for BW to focus on.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

MMO's shouldn't even grey out skills when they're unusable. You should be able to determine that your target is too far away to use a melee weapon without some colored indicator. Greying out a melee skill is "hand holding" for no-skilled idiots who want an "easy mode" game to tell them when they can and can't do something rather than having to figure it out on their own.

Same with buff/debuff icons. I should be able to determine that I have a slow debuff by how much slower my character is going, or that I'm poisoned by noticing the steady rate at which my HP is declining. Likewise I should be able to tell that I have a Lazer Resistance buff by how much less damage I'm taking from lazers. To include easy-to-read icons that tell me what buffs and debuffs I have is to make an MMO into an easy-mode hand-holder.

Hell, skilled players who actually know the game should have enough undestanding of it's various abilities and classes to know how many times they can get hit by what abilities before they're almost dead and in need of healing. If you get hit by a1200-1500 damage ability and your max health is only 2100 HP, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you need health. To include an easy-to-read colored indicator of overall health (a "health bar") that shrinks and turns from green to red when low is really just easy mode for people who are too lazy to pay attention to how often they've been hit and by what abilities.

• Zigzig13Zigzig13 Member Posts: 10

Quit trying to dumb down my game! NO macro's!

This is a text book case of making a mountain out of a molehill.  Really, you can't glance down at your skill bar for half a second to see whether an ability is on cooldown or not?

There aren't a lot of abilities that have long cool downs where you would need to continuously be glancing back to the bar.. or keeping your eyes trained on it.

There are procs in this game that are randomly applied that have significant affects on abilities. Theses aren't just binary can't or can use them procs. As an example, for Assassins, exploit weakness is a random proc on melee damage that reduces the energy requirements of Maul (backstab) by 50%, as well as adds an armor bypass aspect to the skill. Using Maul outside of exploit weakness is inefficient, but the game in no ways prevents me from using it(nor should it). What this results in is me hawking my buff bar looking for that extremely small little buff icon every 10 seconds to see when that skill procs.

I am aware of the procs but they aren't random....  and you do get notified when any ability adds a status.

For example, on my consular, you can use rejuvenate, which then adds conveyence,  which then adds certain special circumstances to my next healing abilities used.

By knowing this, its a matter of  knowign your class... and knowing where to look.  Yes, some classes do have certain abilities that have a % chance to add a special stat... but those are usually waived by passive abilities,  and even still it shows you when it is successful on your bar, so you know when you use an ability when to look at your bar.... you don't havet o randomly look.

Its less about poor design and more about poor playing IMO.   I never had a problem seeing and using any abilities properly. :shrug:

I don't think I'd use the MMORPG forum as a guideline to what is unfortunate or fortunate. Most everyone on these forums are fringe gamers whose idea of a perfect game would end up as a fantastic flop

People were asking for Macros in beta too,  its not just these forums.  I guess certain types of gamers just want things like macros - standard practice,  and so BioWare said they'd look into it.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Agree, I so hated all the mods that made this big icon appear on your screen saying hey click me iwth your mouse, and voila no thinking just keep clicking the big icon that magically appears for the best move, ugh

I am aware of the procs but they aren't random....  and you do get notified when any ability adds a status.

For example, on my consular, you can use rejuvenate, which then adds conveyence,  which then adds certain special circumstances to my next healing abilities used.

By knowing this, its a matter of  knowign your class... and knowing where to look.  Yes, some classes do have certain abilities that have a % chance to add a special stat... but those are usually waived by passive abilities,  and even still it shows you when it is successful on your bar, so you know when you use an ability when to look at your bar.... you don't havet o randomly look.

Its less about poor design and more about poor playing IMO.   I never had a problem seeing and using any abilities properly. :shrug:

First, the buff bars are extremely small. Second, the buff bars can be extremely crowded with abilities dependent on how many buffs you have. THe icon doesn't always come up in the same place. Third, I just gave you an example of a proc that doesn't fit neatly into your tidy little explanation of why I should apparently be expected to watch my buff bar instead of actually playing the game, and you chose to ignore it because it hurts your argument. Fourth, I in fact do have to randomly look down at my buff bar to see when exploit weakness procs, as their are no other apparent indications