Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stealth Question

Ok, I apologize in advance for not researching this but I've been off playing single player games last few months and am a bit out of loop.  I'm a big stealth fan and had some questions for how it will work in SWTOR:

1) Is stealth permanent or is it on a timer?  How often can you stealth (e.g, cooldown timer)?

2) How easy is it to detect a stealthed character?  For example, does it require an AOE type hit or are there class skills which can expose you under certain conditions?

3) Is there an ability that allows you to restealth from combat?

4) Are there abilities that other classes have that make it impossible to stealth?

5) Any other unique characteristics of stealth in SWTOR that make it different than WoW or Rift for example?

Thanks in advance for any answers.  I spent a few minutes on google and could only confirm that stealth exists but not sure how robust it is...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Comments

• zephar123zephar123 Member UncommonPosts: 70

well I can confirm stealth is available at level 10 if you go tthe sith assasin route.  pretty much you need to keep about 10 feet from npc not to notice you and I am nto sure hwo it works with players pvp.

• rhorn842rhorn842 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Ok, I apologize in advance for not researching this but I've been off playing single player games last few months and am a bit out of loop.  I'm a big stealth fan and had some questions for how it will work in SWTOR:

1) Is stealth permanent or is it on a timer?  How often can you stealth (e.g, cooldown timer)?

permanent, 6s CD, must be OOC

2) How easy is it to detect a stealthed character?  For example, does it require an AOE type hit or are there class skills which can expose you under certain conditions?

within 5-7m around a player the outline will become visible, as long as the stealthed character remains in that circle he is targetable. Aoe makes it easier to hit them but single target attacks are doable. BH/trooper class gets a stealth exposing ability for sure, not 100% sure of other classes.

yes, 3m CD

4) Are there abilities that other classes have that make it impossible to stealth?

dots will reveal you, so throwing a dot on a class before they stealth effectively inables it. other than that only the previously mentioned move

5) Any other unique characteristics of stealth in SWTOR that make it different than WoW or Rift for example?

never played Rift. TOR stealth needed some work, and recent builds have really made progress. in the last test it seemed to be functioning very well.

• Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Thanks in advance for any answers.  I spent a few minutes on google and could only confirm that stealth exists but not sure how robust it is...

1. stealth is permanent and no CD unless you are using the group stealth ability smugglers and agents can get which only lasts 15 secs

2. the closer you are to someone, the better chance they have of seeing you.  when you get within a certain range its kind of a predator effect where you can start to see distorations. but aoes and stealth detecting skills can undue it as well

3. yes there are in-combat stealth abilities

4. wouldnt say impossible but there are stealth detecting abilities

stealth using ACs are Smuggler Scoundrel, Agent Operative, Consular Shadow, Inquisitor Assassin

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

You can put points into the Stealth tree that reduces the range that a enemy can see you... Also you can unlock a skill in the stealth tree that allows you to be immune to AOE's if your in stealth so you don't get knocked out of stealth..

Of course that was in beta, so who knows what the final stealth will look like..

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

1. stealth is permanent and no CD unless you are using the group stealth ability smugglers and agents can get which only lasts 15 secs

2. the closer you are to someone, the better chance they have of seeing you.  when you get within a certain range its kind of a predator effect where you can start to see distorations. but aoes and stealth detecting skills can undue it as well

3. yes there are in-combat stealth abilities

4. wouldnt say impossible but there are stealth detecting abilities

stealth using ACs are Smuggler Scoundrel, Agent Operative, Consular Shadow, Inquisitor Assassin

Thanks for the feedback everybody.  By the way, does that stealth detecting ability "Stealth Scan" knock you out of stealth for everybody, just the person who cast it, or does it just make you show up on the "radar" or something?  A scan that breaks your stealth that lasts 10 seconds with only a 30 second cooldown seems like, at least in group play, might make stealth a bit underpowered...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• defroststardefroststar Member UncommonPosts: 16

Which stealth class plays most like a rogue in WoW or the assassin soul in Rift?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by defroststar

Which stealth class plays most like a rogue in WoW or the assassin soul in Rift?

I played Imperial Agent and Sith Assasin and to be honest I see both can play that game style but Sith Assasin's appears more so but its only illusory IMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Also, you can sneak right up behind an anemy while in stealth with little chance of being noticed, but if they are facing you, the chances of them finding you are greater.

It also appears that mob level (in relation to your level) has a large role in detection.

An assassin's backstab from stealth, with the proper preparation, is utterly devastating.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Are there any stealth based quests? I'm guessing they'd be class based quests in an instance, if they exist at all. You know, something like you have to go somewhere undetected, grab something and make your way out. Or is stealth just an extra combat boost for things like backstabs?

• Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Are there any stealth based quests? I'm guessing they'd be class based quests in an instance, if they exist at all. You know, something like you have to go somewhere undetected, grab something and make your way out. Or is stealth just an extra combat boost for things like backstabs?

since story is based on base class and not AC i would say there are no quests that require stealth but that doesnt mean you couldn't try and make some of them that way by using stealth to try and sneak through some base or something

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by defroststar

I played Imperial Agent and Sith Assasin and to be honest I see both can play that game style but Sith Assasin's appears more so but its only illusory IMO.

Whilst there appears to be a lot of emphasis on Stealth for both the Shadow & Assassin, the reality of it is that it is only a very small part of their arsenal. The Operative and Scoundrel though both make use of it much more extensively and, imo, play a lot more like a traditional Stealth class.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed players who roll Shadow & Assassin, expecting to have a WoW Rogue with a lightsaber :D