Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is CoH now?

haidonghaidong Member Posts: 12

I'm looking for a new MMO to play while i wait for some of the new games to come out over the next 6 months or so. I've been playing WoW since release and am completely tired of it. I was wondering is CoH still a popular game with a good player base? I've always heard the game was good but never got around to trying it. Is it a good game to try? Especially with City of Villains coming out later this year or next, I figured I might try this game out.

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

As a person who also left WOW to go back to COH I think it is very much worth the change. I find that there is little to no lag. A lot of the issues that plague WOW do not exist in COH, there is no real form of camping. With No crafting or real monatary system you do not have outragous prices for things. If you are a non PVP person like I am then you will not feel forced into it like I did when I left WOW.

And one thing to be sure ..... You can not beat the hero creator in the game.

• ryankhartryankhart Member Posts: 12

Here. go to this link and get the free 14-day trial.

https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/coh_free_trial.pl

I am playing the trial right now, and its pretty good.

• NihthNihth Member Posts: 6

Has that stuff expired?

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722
    yea it has expired...I wouldn't pick up the game at this time as the director Jack Emmert is trying to make the game into EQ in tights
  • Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

During any issue update, there's always drama. Currently Issue 5 is on test server. Cool things that are coming out in august you can play on the test such as archery (green arrow/Hawkeye) and sonics.

There are also things that are on TEST that people disagree with such as the only 1 pet unless it's fire monkies or phantoms then it's 3. Also reduction of recharge and duration of controller powers. Once again, these are on TEST.

Live is still fun. Heck even I think test is fun. Myself, I don't see it as being turned into eq in tights. But then again I'm very open minded and reserve judgment till it hits the live server. Untill then, I play the test server, make my observations and send in /bug reports and suggestions.

Hearsay is so overrated.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• PaulGuinnessPaulGuinness Member Posts: 1
    Having been to test and comparing it to live, I would say that the Devs have finally launched a major nerf bomb on us.  While I understand their concerns, the nerfs to the Inv Tank make my character nearly unplayable, and she was my favorite toon.  While everyone agrees that some nerfing needed to take place, especially in the areas of tanks and toons with pets, I have to agree that some things proposed go too far.  I dont think I could play my old toons on I5 without feeling...unsuper.  I ll either find a new game or make some new toons to go with the changes.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    As long as the Hamidon is giving the best grouping and soloing rewards, I am out. image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• mhnayamhnaya Member Posts: 8

one thing I LOVE about games like CoH (or Guild Wars on that matter) compared to other mmorpg is that you get your own little mission area and there's no such thing as killsteal or dozens of people attacking the same boss :D and yet there is still gathering places, street missions etc. for socializing.

one thing I'm not sure if I like it or not is the lack of items. Sure, you get enhancements for your skills and inspirations for consumable but that's about it. But that also means no f'd up economy / capitalization so I guess it's not SO bad, especially you can still change your outfit anyway you want, but sometimes I wish I could do more than just killing stuff and looking pretty.

I love animals... they taste so good!

• DainterDainter Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Anofalye
    As long as the Hamidon is giving the best grouping and soloing rewards, I am out. image

Hamidon rewards are not that great anymore, they reduced their effectiveness.  I do not think he is killed that often if at all anymore.   
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

My last post was a bit off. It seems that controllers are almost completeley losing their AoE holds. The duration of them is now so short that they function better as taunts than holds. Yes, awesome. One of the major dynamics that made CoH group combats uniquie removed, the major reason to be a controller nerfed to near uselessness. Go NCsoft. Unless I read differently in the post 5 patch notes, there is pretty much no way in hell I'll be trying this game again.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

They are as bad as the devs at SWG...the only way they know how to "fix" anything is to nerph. Every update that COH has had has changed how combate is done by making your characters weaker and with COV coming it only forshadows the nerphing getting worse as they try to "balance" for the new villion AT's and PVP.

The constant nerphing doesn't bother some people and all the more power to them, but I hate not knowing what my character I have spent hours and hours developing can do every few months. I realise that balance changes need to happen and minor changes are going to happen, but I pay 15 dollars a month for new content not so the devs can srew with characters all the time while they ignore the things that need to be done.  

• DainterDainter Member Posts: 45

Good news, they are reducing some of the effects of the nerfs.

Bad news, the nerfs still exist, just not AS bad...Lots of people are still unhappy though.  As they probably should be...