Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR... why would anyone play wow?

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Malckiah

Originally posted by kalinis

i have 3 reasons whyu ill still play wow

1 i still find it fun . sure after the vo in tor , tor is much more fun to me but i still enjoy wow.

2 for a break. When i need a break from tor wow is there for me and gives me a diffrent feeling game as its fantasy world vs star wars

3 because i have played it for 6 yrs and hope what they broke in cata they fix in mop.

I hate to say this....but look at the direction wow is headed... panda's! I think it is safe to say they are not planning on fixing anything.

i dont mind pandas. its the main reason im looking forwars to mop. sorry but i like pandas. I want more non human races  , that are cute. 

Im tired of dark non humans like worgen or just plaing what the heck like draenie, Really i have 2 at max level and i still cant stand them lol. Orcs i like and i love trolls but undead are just nasty and i cant get into them and pandas are cute. 

I dont understand why having a cute cuddly race is so bad. Im 38 by the way lol my gf is looking forwars to pandas even more then i am.

• ganjabugganjabug Member Posts: 1

I for one still have a wow acct (inactive for 6 months) For the first 4 or so years it was a vlast. Lately it is just very repiyiyious and somewhat boring. I'm sure I will got back if Blizzard ould justg put the slightest effort into making the game FUN and interesting again.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'll be playing WoW until the day it dies.  Same with Lotro, EQ2, Rift and a few others.  Why?  Because they are fun in their own way, I have established characters there I can always log into and because I like all manner of games not just ONE and taking breaks from one to play the other is healthy and lends perspective to good discussions on the MMORPG genre itself.  

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    How much did Bioware pay you for this ad?
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by returnintor

Or

1. TOR has way more and larger zones to explore than wow.... at any time.

Ho ho. No it doesn't not by a long, long shot. SWTOR is tiny.

2. TOR has an individual story for each class that you get to decide how it goes through your choices.... in wow there basically is no story unless you want to READ about killing rats to save the planet...lol.

Exactly. ONE story you HAVE to do. And millions of other people have exactly tghe same one. And there are plenty of excellent stories in WoW. It helps of course if you can read but many of the later stories are now animated and voiced.

3. In TOR you can click past the dialogue if you wish, but why would you....it's amazing.... at least if your not a drone.

The dialogue is not amazing at all. It's incredibly bad TVM dialogue. Really, clunky and embarrassing. The NPC animations while they're saying it make it even more risible.

4. TOR has an incredible endgame indeed.

LOL. Oh dear oh dear.

5. TOR is set up with the social aspect in mind and will start out with several million people to get it going.

I sure am looking forward to playing Pazaak in those cantinas or maybe dancing in a band or just cooking some nice food or maybe even sitting down in a chair... Oh wait. You can't do any of those things.

6. My cute jawa companion is just that.... a companion. But in wow you actually will be the kung fu Po panda.....lol

Exactly. In SWTOR you can be one type of differently coloured-human. In WoW you can be a werewolf, a zombie, a minotaur, a gnome...

7. Wow is already afraid!

Yes. Afraid you might self-harm when you realise exactly what you've got after five years of mad hopes and dreams.

Cool. You just proved that you know nothing about SWTOR, and are just regurgitating the same swill that you've heard other misinformists spew. Conflatulations.

1 once u leave starter worlds zones get up to the size of 10 wow zones. So wrong worlds in tor are huge .

2 Actually they have a unique class story for every class. couple that with if u play republic and empire u have 0 quests alike or stories alike so wrong again.

3 The dialouge to me is amazing but thats subjective and is purely up to each person to decide for themselves i found the dialouge to be amazing and even doing it twice i found i enjoyed it immensly.

4 Tor has the same endgaame as wow with one diffrence They have persistant open world pvp on illum and they have 11 pvp lakes that have diffrent kinds of pvp like on taatooine they have ffa pvp zone.They also have end game pve that u can do onilum thats u can solo if u like thats story based like there other planets

5 U can now dance and sit down u are a bit behind the times man. U cant play pazzak yet but they  might add it in the future. It has everythign wow has if not m ore and im a wow fanboi for 6 yrs 

6 yea in tor your character is human in most regards and i like the races in wow better then tor a bit but its star wars and lets face it the human races are always more popular. And at least we dont have drenie in tor. Sorry space goats really 

7 i would never say wow is scared of anyone , then the guy koltik comes out and says tor cant be profitable for ea and is proved wrong 1 day later. Why make this statement at all i u arent afraid of tor? 

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

I dunno, I've played both and I can't stand WoW but love TOR.  TOR has much smoother and faster paced combat imo, which of course means better pvp.  I found WoW to be very stale and have a lifeless and generic feel overall.  

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

Personall, I think that SWTOR's problem is going to be not that it is like WoW but it is not like WoW enough.

WoW doesn't have one story that your character has to follow.

WoW has multiple zones that you can explore at any time.

WoW's PVP options are complex and rich.

WoW doesn't block your progress every five minutes with mind-numbling cliche'd dialogue.

WoW has genuine and diverse end game options.

WoW's social options are real and fun...

... etc etc.

Oh, and many people, I speculate, are going to find cutesie jawas with rocket launchers just as sickly sweet as panda monks.

No, WoW has nothing to fear from SWTOR.

Going to just touch on the four points in red:

1)  Wow has NO story that your character has to follow.  Believe it or not, many don't find that to be a great selling point.

2)  WoW's pvp options are complex and rich?  What?!?  Battlegrounds and Arenas.  That's it.  At least TOR has some open world FFA and resource control options.  

3)  Genuine and diverse end game options?  Which WoW are you playing?  Here is WoW's endgame:  Raid, dailies, raid some more.  

4)  What social options does WoW have?  Standing in front of the auction house in Ironforge or Stormwind showing off your gear?  

Did you ever play WoW?  

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Or

1. TOR has way more and larger zones to explore than wow.... at any time.

Ho ho. No it doesn't not by a long, long shot. SWTOR is tiny.

2. TOR has an individual story for each class that you get to decide how it goes through your choices.... in wow there basically is no story unless you want to READ about killing rats to save the planet...lol.

Exactly. ONE story you HAVE to do. And millions of other people have exactly tghe same one. And there are plenty of excellent stories in WoW. It helps of course if you can read but many of the later stories are now animated and voiced.

3. In TOR you can click past the dialogue if you wish, but why would you....it's amazing.... at least if your not a drone.

The dialogue is not amazing at all. It's incredibly bad TVM dialogue. Really, clunky and embarrassing. The NPC animations while they're saying it make it even more risible.

4. TOR has an incredible endgame indeed.

LOL. Oh dear oh dear.

5. TOR is set up with the social aspect in mind and will start out with several million people to get it going.

I sure am looking forward to playing Pazaak in those cantinas or maybe dancing in a band or just cooking some nice food or maybe even sitting down in a chair... Oh wait. You can't do any of those things.

6. My cute jawa companion is just that.... a companion. But in wow you actually will be the kung fu Po panda.....lol

Exactly. In SWTOR you can be one type of differently coloured-human. In WoW you can be a werewolf, a zombie, a minotaur, a gnome...

7. Wow is already afraid!

Yes. Afraid you might self-harm when you realise exactly what you've got after five years of mad hopes and dreams.

Cool. You just proved that you know nothing about SWTOR, and are just regurgitating the same swill that you've heard other misinformists spew. Conflatulations.

1 once u leave starter worlds zones get up to the size of 10 wow zones. So wrong worlds in tor are huge .

2 Actually they have a unique class story for every class. couple that with if u play republic and empire u have 0 quests alike or stories alike so wrong again.

3 The dialouge to me is amazing but thats subjective and is purely up to each person to decide for themselves i found the dialouge to be amazing and even doing it twice i found i enjoyed it immensly.

4 Tor has the same endgaame as wow with one diffrence They have persistant open world pvp on illum and they have 11 pvp lakes that have diffrent kinds of pvp like on taatooine they have ffa pvp zone.They also have end game pve that u can do onilum thats u can solo if u like thats story based like there other planets

5 U can now dance and sit down u are a bit behind the times man. U cant play pazzak yet but they  might add it in the future. It has everythign wow has if not m ore and im a wow fanboi for 6 yrs 

6 yea in tor your character is human in most regards and i like the races in wow better then tor a bit but its star wars and lets face it the human races are always more popular. And at least we dont have drenie in tor. Sorry space goats really 

7 i would never say wow is scared of anyone , then the guy koltik comes out and says tor cant be profitable for ea and is proved wrong 1 day later. Why make this statement at all i u arent afraid of tor? 

I hope you're not responding to me, because if you are, you're confused.

• carpatiancarpatian Member UncommonPosts: 47

Guys wow is already 7 years old wtf. U cant compare any new game in market with wow just cause wow already have so many patches etc etc.Just think about what swtor will be in 7 years from now. I personally instaled  twice WOW and in 1 hour desinstaled. I cant play that thingh but is just me. And come one gimme a break already with this ..wow

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Some people still like elves and dwarves. It's a matter of preference.

I did find out an interesting thing about some SW bashing today.  My brother has a crappy computer.  He plays WoW and only WoW (We've both played together for years). He talks trash non-stop about any game that isn't Warcraft (i.e: any game his computer can't handle).  So finally today, I told him I'm definitely buying SW and making the move.  As usual, he goes into his routine as to why Warcraft is a superior game.  I said "Do you want me to buy you a computer so you can play SW and you pay me back in small payments?"

His reply: "Yes"

I'm banking that he's not the only one out there like that.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by newbo

I would have to guess that the only reason anyone would stick around in WoW after SWTOR releases is for one of three reasons:

1. They've already invested so much time into WoW and have established relationships in that game that there really isn't an incentive to switch to SWTOR.

2. They've never heard of SWTOR.

3. They don't like space themed games.

Or maybe because SW:ToR is not as good a game as WoW.   Maybe because SW:ToR lacks many things that WoW has, like night and day cycles, weather, a world that is more alive and less stagnate...maybe WoW has more options when starting a new character and you're not forced to follow a certain path when leveling, maybe because of these and "many" other things...makes WoW a better game.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    trolls are gonna troll. nothing else in this thread here.

why not let people play what they like? why allways go for "THIS GAME IS BETTER BECAUSE ME SAID SO!"

you ever heard that opinions can differ? that's why it's called an opinion and not a fact when you like something.
    grow up and stop this lousy "this is better!" shit, let people play what they want. after all WE are paying for our games, not you. if you pay my games, i play what you like, so long, stfu, thx

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow.

Some people don't like space or sci=fi games regardless of how good they are.

I know I don't like any type of "car battle" or anything to do with autos in my mmos. I also don't like pirate ships so no matter how good those two games would be I wouldn't play them. I also tried EvE because I like sci-fi space games but I didn't like the style of it.

Plus, some people love elves who are snooty and dwarves drinking beer and all kinds of dragons and ToR doesn't have any of that.

Lots of reasons why someone wouldn't play ToR instead of WoW, all valid.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Theres two reason I could think of and thats tightness (swtor is polished, but wow still holds the throne on tightest controls in an mmo), and establishment. Liek you said, wow and tor are very similar, while tor offers better graphics, and better stories. wow has all their friends, gold, and achievments.

Wow will stick onto a lot of thier players for the saame reason a lot of mmos do, and thats because palyers don't like breaking those bonds that they worked towards. And a game thats similar to wow's same layout would be even less attracted to leave for (in my mind at least, but just random seculation) because your essentially starting over to do the same thing. Not saying rift and swtor are clones of wow and eq, but they're essentially the same gameplay.

That being said, swtor will take a lot of wow's sub i think, because wow players finally seem to be tired of wow and looking for something refrshing, adn I think thats why a lot will migrate over to swtor. But don't expect wow to die overnight.

lots of odd typos adn grammar errors...too late to care =/

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

It'll be interesting to see how the sub numbers of WoW and SWTOR will be in 2012.

It's kind of funny, I've seen people in this and other threads praise WoW and AoC in order to talk down on SWTOR, while not even that many months ago a number of those same people were bashing and trashtalking WoW and AoC, in sort of the same derogatory tone they're doing now with SWTOR, funny how that works image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Teala

I would have to guess that the only reason anyone would stick around in WoW after SWTOR releases is for one of three reasons:

1. They've already invested so much time into WoW and have established relationships in that game that there really isn't an incentive to switch to SWTOR.

Or maybe because SW:ToR is not as good a game as WoW.   Maybe because SW:ToR lacks many things that WoW has, like night and day cycles, weather, a world that is more alive and less stagnate...maybe WoW has more options when starting a new character and you're not forced to follow a certain path when leveling, maybe because of these and "many" other things...makes WoW a better game.

I've never played a game that felt less alive or stagnant then WoW.  Keep telling youself these things and maybe someday they will come true...maybe.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Unfortunately most of those people say those things without ever trying it. And also unfortunately wow and other mmo's have created a playerbase of people that are like drones only trying to get to level cap... because in other mmo's levelcap is all that matters... so of course they don't think they would like it.

Even if it was true that swtor was better than WoW, you just dont try to persuade (in this case) WoW players to switch to swtor... If you like one game, you are still free to play any other game you like. The best game is the one you like the most, not the one other people want you to play.

Im not currently subbed to any P2P mmos now (waiting for swtor and WOW:MoP). I played Swtor beta, preordered it and cant wait for rearly access. The fact that i really liked swtor doesnt mean i will try to persuade people to leave WoW and join swtor.

I personally will play both whenever i can afford both subs together. But heres the thing with me and this 2 games.... i started playing WoW shortly before Cataclysm released, but i fell in love with WoW's Lore since day one, and even when im not subscribed i read about it and enjoy anything related to that Lore. I cant say the same for Swtor as im nhot a fan of star wars but I do love swtor for what it is, a sci-fy mmo that happen to have the same mechanics and same format (faction vs faction) that WoW has (plus couple things extra like space mini-game-like combat that could have been better implemented btw, and nice voice overs and different visuals).

All opinions should be accepted and respected instead of persuaded.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

It'll be interesting to see how the sub numbers of WoW and SWTOR will be in 2012.

It's kind of funny, I've seen people in this and other threads praise WoW and AoC in order to talk down on SWTOR, while not even that many months ago a number of those same people were bashing and trashtalking WoW and AoC, in sort of the same derogatory tone they're doing now with SWTOR, funny how that works image

it works that way here because that same group of people knows that each of those games are good, but when they are among others that prefer 1 of the 2 games in question... they dont want to be the black sheep.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

This ^^.

WoW has lasted seven years and still has a long way to go. Why? Because it offers freedom and choice.

SWTOR offers neither. I think it will be P2P inside one year and closed down inside two.

It is launching as p2p, you probably meant f2p.

You are dreaming if you think it will be shut down inside two years, rofl.  There are games that had bad launches and were going downin flames that are still up and still p2p, *coughs* Warhammer Online. 

To answer the OP the reason people will play WoW is because they like WoW more than SWToR.  Why does anyone even care what other people spend their own $$ on and their own time on?  I got my SWToR pre-order in and am ready to go, it is a game for me.  WoW I did closed beta, I did some L19 and 29 pvp and that is it, it is not the game for me.  I don't run around bashing on WoW though or hoping it will die off or thinking people are crazy if they stay in WoW.  I hope they have fun, just as I plan to have fun in SWToR or any other game I choose to play :)

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Lets see play for what 1-3 days and now asking why would anyone play wow?... do I really need so say anything else?

Mods I dont think this thread is really going anywhere but down.. 

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

I've never played a game that felt less alive or stagnant then WoW.  Keep telling youself these things and maybe someday they will come true...maybe.

Eleven million people say you're wrong.

That's 2.87% of America!

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

This ^^.

WoW has lasted seven years and still has a long way to go. Why? Because it offers freedom and choice.

SWTOR offers neither. I think it will be P2P inside one year and closed down inside two.

Ah, the psychics this site breeds, really, Nostradamus has nothing on them image

Don't confuse wishful thinking for actual solid predictions. We'll see how things will be for SWTOR and WoW in the course of 2012 although from the decline that WoW is experiencing already, it doesn't look that good, although it's nice to see a number of people who've been bashing WoW for years on this site - not you - now rush as white knights to WoW's defense.

If you really hate/dislike SWTOR that much, simply move on to an MMORPG you do enjoy, this is clearly not the MMO you're looking for then.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

This ^^.

Ah, the psychics this site breeds, really, Nostradamus has nothing on them image

Don't confuse wishful thinking for actual solid predictions. We'll see how things will be for SWTOR and WoW in the course of 2012 although from the decline that WoW is experiencing already, it doesn't look that good, although it's nice to see a number of people who've been bashing WoW for years on this site - not you - now rush as white knights to WoW's defense.

If you really hate/dislike SWTOR that much, simply move on to an MMORPG you do enjoy, this is clearly not the MMO you're looking for then.

<------- yeah about what I was saying, why sit around bashing or comparing in this manner, just find the game(s) for you and be happy, don't worry so much what others are doing :P

• sonicboomsonicboom Member Posts: 29

If bioware keep up the demand of content and listens to player feedback.  Starwars tor will survive without going F2P.  Bioware has a history of good reputation and george lucas star wars sells it self.

This is the part where cameron goes berserk!

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

The only thing WoW has on SWTOR at end game is Raiding. Over time SWTOR will match up to what they have, but WoW is the king of raiding hands down. The thing is that most people playing MMOs don't even have a chance to raid at all. Some (probably more than you think) don't even hit max level. The thing about this is that at max level, all WoW is...is raiding. There is nothing more to the game other then instanced BGs. The dungeons you run until you are geared enough to raid and never look back. Yeah, you can run them for valor points...but really that is more of a hassle after a while which no one enjoys. They don't introduce enough 5 man content into the game to warrant any lasting value in it. Oh suuure they put in a couple of new 5 mans each expansion during the patch cycles, but they usually take less time to clear than the original dungeons in that expansion. Blizzard loves to make 3 dungeons to make it seem like more content when in reality they could have fit all 3 dungeons worth of content into one normal sized one of another game.

People do arenas, but not nearly as many people as the battlegrounds. The 3 Warzones in SWTOR are already better than all the BGs in WoW. They do have more competitive pvp options, but that will change over time. WoW has had 7 years to improve PvP (nearly non-existant at launch except on PvP servers) and has not done anything to improve world pvp. No, Wintergrasp is not world pvp either. SWTOR won't have much better world pvp, but it is clear that one of the goals going forward will be to make it a big part of the game as opposed to the glorified duels (arenas) in WoW.

The biggest reason people will play WoW over SWTOR is that they already have a huge time investment into it or do not want to leave friends behind.