Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim, sans dragons.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

BTW in case anyone was curious, you can play Skyrim without the dragons.   Just never visit the Jarl of Whiterun and start the quest to kill the first dragon.    You can't use shouts though, sense you need dragon souls to activate the shouts.   It makes the game play totally different.  :)

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Hmm might try that out - right now I'm just loving the game and really wishing there were an MMORPG that played much like SKYRIM.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

How do that change you expirience? Beside not being attacked once in a while by a dragon.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Didn't know that.  Interesting.  Time for a new character.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Or if you simply can't survive without shouts, you can add them through the console....dirty cheater. ;)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I played like this for the past week and liked it a lot. Sadly I chose to be a Stormcloak on this character and you need to "assist Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun with the dragon threat" to advance that quest line. So it overlaps with the main story. You can't progress the Stormcloak quest line without dragons.

Kind of a sucky twist too because the next thing you do after you helped Balgruuf as a Stormcloak is (spoiler) Lay waste to Whiterun and kill a ton of guards who just so kindly helped you kill that dragon at the watch tower.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hmm, already not using shouts at all (blasphemy!), but I wouldn't be able to give up the dragons themselves, they're so much fun! 

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Playing on Master and attempting to be a mage means it is difficult to kill dragons. If my flame atronach was a little smarter it might be easier.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Skyrim wouldn't be half as intense without the dragons. Honestly, don't you get a nerd rush whenever a hostile dragon crosses your path? You drink your Resist Fire potion while drawing your bow, ready to face your prey...

But when it's all said and done, Jeremy Soule's ambient music subtlely kicks in, eating away at your brain -- you wonder, what's it all for? You shrug it off and set off to your marked destination, replenished with new dragon power and a bag of mixed feelings. 

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by lectrocuda

Playing on Master and attempting to be a mage means it is difficult to kill dragons. If my flame atronach was a little smarter it might be easier.

Get high-level ward spells and tons of magicka potions and keep your distance, just block away each flame/frost burst: Cakewalk to kill dragons this way and much easier than as an archer or full on melee character.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by Meridion

Get high-level ward spells and tons of magicka potions and keep your distance, just block away each flame/frost burst: Cakewalk to kill dragons this way and much easier than as an archer or full on melee character.

thanks Ill try it.  Ive been meaning to expand my schools of magic

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

That makes me think: How woud a primarily Restoration-specced mage do in this game? Does it make your character powerful? And what do you support that with? I've heard Destruction magic does not scale well at high levels.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Teala

BTW in case anyone was curious, you can play Skyrim without the dragons.   Just never visit the Jarl of Whiterun and start the quest to kill the first dragon.    You can't use shouts though, sense you need dragon souls to activate the shouts.   It makes the game play totally different.  :)

lol, I sort of do play the game without dragons...

I'm about to hit 47 and I"ve only killed 21 dragons so far. They just don't appear a whole lot. Still, i love the dragons and plan to make them harder once the toolset comes out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

This is wrong! Wrong, I say!

Thar be dragons!

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by solarine

That makes me think: How woud a primarily Restoration-specced mage do in this game? Does it make your character powerful? And what do you support that with? I've heard Destruction magic does not scale well at high levels.

It doesn't.  I've played about 200 hours now and tried so many different specs,  the most fun was mage at the beginning but quickly turned sour at the high levels.  Don't even get me started on master mode....    now I am playing a number of characters at very high levels  on master,  and the mage just doesn't put out as much DPS in comparison to bows and weapons.  Every destruction attack costs mana,  and the costs are astronomical to the damage output.

You can decrease the costs with enchantments and potions,  but you can't really increase the damage output really.

I found that my favorite class at high levels was a heavy armored sword/shield/alteration (smith and enchanting too) character.  (bretton or nord or dark elf with element resistance).   

The shield is by far my favorite weapon in the game,  and I sit up front and fight dragons head on, on master mode, and take almost no damage with appropriate daedra gear with elemental resistance.  Shield bash knocks dragons down when they shoot fire and you just whack away at them.  Favorite spec so far...

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

NO MANA COST ON DESTRUCTION & RESTORATION ARMOR SUIT - 100 enchantment.  destruction spells aren't gimped, because can cast them over and over.  cast heal spells at no mana cost.  I don't have to run around and sneak, just come out blasting and laying waste to everything, unlimited fireballs.  

My character name is Talos.  Was kind of strange to go into a quest called "diplomatic impunity" I believe where people are talking bad about Talos, I'm like yea, I just told you that was my name.  LOL

The character is 37 and still have tons of stuff to do, collect all the shouts and do alot of quests.  I still haven't maxxed out destruction or restoration.   My two skills that have recently been maxxed to 100 is Enchanting and Smithing.  I'm still missing glass and Advanced techniques that lets you modify magically enhanced equipment.  Enchanting is missing storm 25% more boost and frost 25% more boost.  I'm currently in the process of upgrading to dragon armor.

My character is immensely powerful.  I can enchant pretty much anything I want, with 2 enchantments on it.  I can smith anything I want.  I've recently hit 50 K in money, and working on getting the next 50 K.  probably hit that soonish.  I cast destruction and restoration spells at no mana.  He also has 50% permanent fire resistance built into his boots along with 40 carry weight  bonus.  It could be higher but alchemy is still lagging behind.  my equipment has 200 armor currently but will be upgrading to 300 soonish.  that is on top of all the other bonuses of no mana to cast spells and gloves have another 35 carry less weight that will be upgraded.  I'd like to get fort heavy armor but currently don't have that enchantment to put on the armor yet, looking for it.

The character can heal, throw up 80 extra AC and 80 extra magical defense, on top of another 80 armor if I feel like getting physical.  so I can add even more AC to my already insane amount.

Also, I could build more suits of no mana cost on alteration and conjuration or illusion, 2 more schools, but don't really feel like switching that much between armors.

I cast destruction spells at no cost, and when dual casting has a chance to stun the mob.  I can cast an unlimited amount of fire balls.  I don't need mana potions.  I've made the mistake of having the wrong equipment on, so my mana gets drained, no problem, just switch out the no mana costing gear and mana doesn't even matter any more for healing and destruction.

I was putting alot of build points into both mana and health, but recently started only doing health, since mana is a non-issue.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

Every destruction attack costs mana,  and the costs are astronomical to the damage output.

You can decrease the costs with enchantments and potions,  but you can't really increase the damage output really.

You can enchant gear to cast cast spells at no mana cost.  You can make potions that buff destruction spells, if you want to, so there is a way to increase damage output, but if your casting spells at no mana cost, why bother buffing them, just spam them.

I kill dragons with dual casting fireballs in roughly 10 to 20 seconds.  The only time it takes longer is when they are flying around, have to wait for them to land close enough to blast them.  Don't currently have the dragon rend shout.

------------------------------------------------

NOT MEETING THE JARL in whiterun so no dragons spawn would also mean you never get to build the house in whiterun.  Not even familiar with the other houses out in the game at the moment.    I think its the cheapest house, at only 5 K, not counting house add-ons.

The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

That's the beauty of TES games.

Every character you make can (for the most part) be a different experience, and not just in your build/class, but how you approach the game, and what you decide to do (and not do).

I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, but never finished the main quest with any of my characters.

In fact, last week I watched the ending on YouTube. Up until then, I had no idea how the game's main quest ended.

How I went 5+ years without knowing the ending, I don't know, but there's an example of how little the "main" quest actually matters in an Elder Scrolls game.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by maskedweasel

It doesn't.  I've played about 200 hours now and tried so many different specs,  the most fun was mage at the beginning but quickly turned sour at the high levels.  Don't even get me started on master mode....    now I am playing a number of characters at very high levels  on master,  and the mage just doesn't put out as much DPS in comparison to bows and weapons.  Every destruction attack costs mana,  and the costs are astronomical to the damage output.

Staves, use the crap out of them, there good.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

biggest problem with staves is they aren't as powerful as dual casting.  I can dual cast 2-fireballs, and that is much more effective.  I was using them a little, but realized since I never used them after getting the no mana cost suit, there is no point carrying around the extra weight.

I usually have carry problems its my biggest obstacle in the game, and why a few of my enchantments are for light armor.  I had 4 pieces with added carry weight but sold a few of the items.  currently my max is 375, but I can bump it higher.  Not Using NPC's because found them to be a pain walking into my fireballs.  Makes it harder to just lay waste to an area with friendlies in the way.  Its a pain when I got friendlies on quests, but worse if I bring more into the mix than what is already there.  The minus is that I don't get their carrying weight added in.  The plus is that they don't end up dead.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by blackcat35

Originally posted by warmaster670

biggest problem with staves is they aren't as powerful as dual casting.  I can dual cast 2-fireballs, and that is much more effective.  I was using them a little, but realized since I never used them after getting the no mana cost suit, there is no point carrying around the extra weight.

I usually have carry problems its my biggest obstacle in the game, and why a few of my enchantments are for light armor.  I had 4 pieces with added carry weight but sold a few of the items.  currently my max is 375, but I can bump it higher.  Not Using NPC's because found them to be a pain walking into my fireballs.  Makes it harder to just lay waste to an area with friendlies in the way.  Its a pain when I got friendlies on quests, but worse if I bring more into the mix than what is already there.  The minus is that I don't get their carrying weight added in.  The plus is that they don't end up dead.

Don't know what mode you're playing on, but on master, you would have to spam destruction spells over and over again, and never get hit (if wearing light armor)  when you're playing at 50+.    AOE master spells are nice and all,  but isn't worth it to me.  My heavy armor daedric geared tank  (also with heavy enchantment and max smithing and blocking.... with some alteration for magic resistance)  can withstand unlimited amounts of magical damage,  and can mitigate most physical damage.   Ancient dragons are a pain, but can be taken out quickly enough, granted they don't get some lucky hits on me.  

Going full mage was much tougher,  even when I swapped my robes for light armor.  Bow users were the worst,  killing me in 2 shots.   Stealth was good,  but even with x15 crits from daggers or x3 crits from bows,  you still have enemies that take many multiple hits, so progression was very slow.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I just wish the dragons were harder, especially once you've levelled up and upgraded your gear.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im lvl28 now and its starting to be a joke those dragons, its all way to easy on master difficulty. Some npc's can one shot me while dragons are weak:(

Flying animations and realistic fighting AWESOME but strenght Dragons is rediculous:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

At around 49th level I switched gear, mainly because I had maxxed out all the skills I was leveling up on, and if I wanted to level up I had to start working more on heavy armor and one hand weapons.  So I made a full daedric heavy armor suit, and enchanted it with health and fortify carry weight.  With 100 in alchemy, smithing, and enchanting, and 100 destruction, still wanted to level more.  So now I got 4 pieces at 44 more carry weight and 74 more hit points.  Finally hit 70 in heavy armor and picked the heavy armor doesn't weigh anything.  Armor hit like 800+.  Level is now 56, and working on getting more shouts, alot of the quests have been completed.  The fighting is really not that hard, most things just don't put out that much damage, have tons of hit points and armor, and the armor really makes melee easy.  Next character I play I'm going to play on master, see how much harder that makes it.  Probably level up faster, since it takes more to kill someone.

With over 230+ hours played, I still have stuff to work on.  My system is a little slow, but still having alot of fun.  Don't have all the dragon shouts, or done the thieves or companion quests.  Currently working on the shouts to become a master.

• Alphabeta2Alphabeta2 Member Posts: 35

I don't think t'd change my experience that much, I only use the Whirlwind shout to move faster. XD  Apart from that, I rarely follow the main storyline anyways. :(

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Teala

Yeh i was planning on that with my next character, they are starting to annoy me a little hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i