Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game worth playing?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I've tried this once way back at release on a bdudy key and thought it was ok, how is the game now? can a ftp player actually hit cap with decent gear, and go pvp with it? (does it have some guild vs guild land control pvp or something too?) Thinkong of playing the game since its a better game that swtor imo least gameplay wise it is.

Whats a good class/server to start on?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Yeah FTP you can hit lvl cap but you will need to spend the TP you earn wisely on content packs.  They usually have a sale once a week and sometimes zones or content packs will be  on sale.   You won't be able to pvp on the Free Peoples side without an active subscription.   Creepside is FTP but only one class is available free, you will need to purchase the other monster classes.

Landroval, Brandywine, Eleminder are the 3 most populated servers.  All the rest are pretty even behind them.  

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

It's a better game than it was, though it still blows once you hit 50 because of the horrid legendary item system.

A free player can hit the cap, but the quest stop at level 30 or so. You can earn points for the store by playing, but you'd have to grind a lot.

Ditto for the raids needed to get gear - you have to buy them.

I don't think you can even do PvP in LOTRO without being a subscriber. I thougth they were going to introduce something in the latest expansion that would let them, but it doesn't seem like it. I think they just added buyable stuff to the store (like skill ranks) for PvP, so you can level up your creeps quicker (since they don't have a PvE place)

But it's the same as it was ages ago.

Whatever you want to play, really, and most servers except Landroval - they're stuck up there...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Originally posted by trancejeremy

It's a better game than it was, though it still blows once you hit 50 because of the horrid legendary item system.

A free player can hit the cap, but the quest stop at level 30 or so. You can earn points for the store by playing, but you'd have to grind a lot.

Ditto for the raids needed to get gear - you have to buy them.

I don't think you can even do PvP in LOTRO without being a subscriber. I thougth they were going to introduce something in the latest expansion that would let them, but it doesn't seem like it. I think they just added buyable stuff to the store (like skill ranks) for PvP, so you can level up your creeps quicker (since they don't have a PvE place)

But it's the same as it was ages ago.

Whatever you want to play, really, and most servers except Landroval - they're stuck up there...

Non-subscribers have access to the entire main storyline ("epic") quest, but doing this on its own will not get you the XP needed to level up without insane amounts of grinding; on the other hand, with all the quest packs there is so much content that you can end up massively over-levelled without grinding.

Non-subscribers can currently do PvP on "creep" (armies of Sauron) side only, although five of the six monster classes have to be bought from the ingame store. Only subscribers can take their PvE characters into the PvP zone.

As regards servers, over time the difference has eroded, but several of the servers (Elder, Laurelin, Snowbourne, Evernight, Withywindle, Gilrain, plus some others which are designated French-language or German-language) used to be part of the LOTRO EU operation run by Codemasters and so have a mainly EU-based population and so are more active at different times of the day to the others. While there are no official figures for server populations, you can get a rough idea of activity levels and the general mood / tone / culture of a server by creating a starter character and joining the global chat channel (called "glff" on most, "globallff" on the former EU). This is nominally a "looking for group" channel but in practice is also used for global trade and general chat.

Hope this helps.