Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A product that will relieve gas prices

KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

On the 20th September a car with an air-compressed engine, invented by the Frenchman Guy N

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Comments

• BurningManBurningMan Member Posts: 613

o no bush wouldnt like that his family is in the oil bussiness

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Not fast enough for me =P

It is a good idea though, nice to see people thinking about the world's problems instead of burning more oil.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• BurningManBurningMan Member Posts: 613

i would get one for the sake of our enviroment, all the pollution from gas is just sticking our heads more up our asses

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

I'd rather go hydrogen. Or biodiesel, the exhaust usually smells like french fries =P

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Yeah i dont think that car is going to make it very far...

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• HellsbaneHellsbane Member Posts: 23

Death is but a dream. Welcome to your worst nightmare!!

• HellsbaneHellsbane Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by pyrofreak

I'd rather go hydrogen. Or biodiesel, the exhaust usually smells like french fries =P

Hydrogen is not feasable and shows no promise of being feasable at anytime in the foreseeable future. Biodiesel is appealing, but only if the source is not a potential food product, otherwise it would drive the cost of food through the roof.

Death is but a dream. Welcome to your worst nightmare!!

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Cars only produce 3% of the worlds pollution!

20% is create by man and 80% what the planet creates!

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by scaramoosh

So whos driving the cars if its not men image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Eighty Percent Of the World's Polution is coming from the World itself?
    Hmmm i personally think that it's a bogus statistic but if it's true... show me a link to where I can read it for myself...

Note: To my knowledge Everything the planet creates on it's own Is always recycled.... that includes Gases, rocks, water, oil, life.....

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

If you had a graph it would explain alot more clearly to these confused members.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

How would that relieve gas prices? If anything, due to the number of consumers that would not be using gas, that woudl cause gas prices to increase more to make up for the loss.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by methane47

Eighty Percent Of the World's Polution is coming from the World itself?
    Hmmm i personally think that it's a bogus statistic but if it's true... show me a link to where I can read it for myself...

I agree, link an article.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• FaintFaint Member Posts: 82

3%
    20%
    +80%
    -----------
    103%

Right.

---------------------------

A Paid to Search that pays!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.2Ghz
    512MB of Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64mb
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    WinXP Home

Games playing : None. Please PM if you know any good games.

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by Orcc

How would that relieve gas prices? If anything, due to the number of consumers that would not be using gas, that woudl cause gas prices to increase more to make up for the loss.

Not saying that car will become mainstream, but...it's all about supply and demand.  If demand were to drop then the price for gas would drop due to the over abundance of the supply (and the owners of the supply wanting to get rid of it).  At least that's the simple answer.

ATM, the only thing that will drop the price of gas will be the production of more refineries (which haven't been built in the US since 1972).  That way the supply will increase, but I doubt this will happen.  Gas will be up to $3/gal average in the US in one year and $4/gal in two years...better get used to the prices.

• brennbrenn Member Posts: 22

you did say this car would have to be plugged in.

how exactly is an electric car of any sorts pollution free?

where do you think they get the electric?image

• knightknifeknightknife Member Posts: 384

This car would work well for people who live in large cities or if they go that many places. But for someone who lives in the country or a salesperson couldnt get that far in this car.

Originally posted by Faint

3%
    20%
    +80%
    -----------
    103%

Right.

LOL EXACTLY!!!

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by brenn

you did say this car would have to be plugged in.
    how exactly is an electric car of any sorts pollution free?
    where do you think they get the electric?image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• brennbrenn Member Posts: 22

thanks razorback, glad you could clear that one up for me

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    Hydrogen is where humanity will have to go as it is the most abundant element in the Universe.  Problem is it isn't overly abundant here and we have to use energy to get Hydrogen.  Nothing much will relieve gas prices, the war in Iraq was just to keep them from surging even more.  We are hitting the Oil Peak where we have used half the worlds oil and it is getting increasingly more difficult to get it out of the ground.  Once we have a viable alternate fuel source we Industrialized countries must switch our infrastructure to it whcih is predicted to take 20-30 years.  man I wanna be the Contractor who gets that deal.  Job security for ftw!!

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Faint

3%
    20%
    +80%
    -----------
    103%

Right.

Hmmm, not defending the statement, but as far as the math goes, wouldn't that three percent made by cars fall under that twenty percent created by humans? And therefore it would be twenty percent from humans and eighty percent by nature. BTW, it is plausable since volcanos put out far more greenhouse gasses and likely far more polution than anything man made.

As for hydrogen being viable, I did see one form where hydrogen is extracted from (drumroll)....... gasoline. So an engine that extracts the hydrogen from gasoline puts out far less polution, gets far greater gas milage, and has a fuel infrastructure that is already in place. The problem is that many are opposed to it simply because is uses gasoline, even if it is far more effectient use.

image image

• ChickenTalonChickenTalon Member Posts: 163

Its quite possible to run an internal combustion engine on hydrogen with only modifications to its fuel system.  I've seen the blueprints for these designs before, and it seems sound to me(but hey, i'm no engineer professor.  Anybody who can (viably) prove this wrong is welcome to)

A chamber is needed to take water and split the molecules into Hydrogen and Oxygen.  This can be done with electrolysis.  Then all thats needed to be done is to transfer these gases to the intake of the engine, which is then combusted inside the motor as would gasoline--of course air/fuel ratios and other things would have to be tweaked with to allow for the volatility of Hydrogen gas.

When hydrogen is burned or combusted, it combines with the oxygen in the air to turn back into water vapor, which is the cleanest possible exhaust.  This system is by far safer than your traditional 'hydrogen-cell' designs, because hydrogen is produced on the spot, and not stored.  The fuel being stored in your gas-tank would be water.

Like I said, I've only heard and read about this stuff, but from what I've seen, its been tried and true.  If this were ever to take off, we wouldn't need to have radically redesigned vehicles--we would need only to modify the existing ones, and add the system to new ones.

www.knightsunited.com
    The first and best dedicated fansite for KO

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    The technology to cost effectively use electrolysis to make Hydrogen from water is not there yet.  Right now you need distilled water.  Simnply taking Ocean water or Lake water will not work, too may contaminates in the water.  We'll get there but for right now we need to focus on transitioning from Nonrenewable energy sources to renewable ones.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan