Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Server Type Will You Play On? {Poll}

13»

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I have always lived on RP PVP servers.  I am an honorable PvPer and I like finding enemies that don't want to fight, doing some emotes, etc.  Randomly coming across a mature player basically.  Anyway I also liked in WoW when there were 150 servers my server pool was much smaller with something like 3-5. 

I don't really RP in char all that much anymore but I have enjoyed these servers immensely in the past.  I know all the same guilds continue to roll on them and I like to come across old friends especially when they are on the other side.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Watface

Originally posted by BarryManilow

I will be going PvE, I tried RP-PvE but there were too many RP nazis for my taste.   WoW kiddies were still there too with thier Chuck Norris jokes.  I can only imagine it will be worse with Kung Fu Panda Express train coming soon too.   There is just no way to escape the kiddies no matter what server you pick.

I find a lot more evidence of childishness in people that roll on a PVE server in a game based around 2 factions at war in a virtual world. 

Oooohhh cold busted by a white guy.

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

I'm going to do as I always do, but there wasn't an option.

Pve server a toon

RP-Pvp server for another.

Toy with both toons until I find what the community is like and finding a mature ,quality guild. Then spend most of my time on whichever server I enjoy more. I do like to take in different aspects .

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

With all the PvP options on PvE servers, PvP servers feel like an unnecesarry feature.  Espescially since there are no game features that give people a reason to do open world PvP except ganking..

^^  This

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Elsabolts

PvP so i can find just one 26 yr old still liveing with mom and dad. " Priceless "

Funny stuff, thanks for the morning chuckle

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I never really was a fan of RP servers but this game does have some potential for fun in RPing so I will probably roll on a regualr and RP PVP server. I see no reason to roll carebear especially since this game is supposed to be about war.

Ganking is a part of life, you get ganked, you give gank back. It's a cycle.image

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

pve-rp if it's available.

i'll get my pvp in eve or L2 (whichever is holding my interests at the moment)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Precusor

Opposite faction of the Goons.

I sense a disturbance in the force ...

What gives?

Ah, DarkPony, you have not had the 'pleasure' of playing a MMO on a server that had members of the Something Awlful forums, who join (plague?) every new game under the moniker of "Goon".  In EVE they were called Goonswarm, but I've run into them in WOW, AOC, Rift and several other titles. (I seem "lucky" that way).

They delight in griefing others, especially those of their own faction on games that permit it.

One good thing to remember, the Goons do not open recruit, you have to be a member in good (?) standing with their forums and pay a monthly fee (can be up to 50/mo if you want an officer role).  Normally they actually advance their guild status by scamming people into thinking they can join them by contributing in game money or items, which almost never is the case.

Truly a unique organization no matter whether you love or loath them. image

What was this thread about again?  Oh yeah.

Looking at all the fine people on these forums planning on playing on the RP-PVP servers has me changing my mind, once I decide to join the fun I might hit some of you up with a PM to find out where you ended up playing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Watface

Originally posted by BarryManilow

I will be going PvE, I tried RP-PvE but there were too many RP nazis for my taste.   WoW kiddies were still there too with thier Chuck Norris jokes.  I can only imagine it will be worse with Kung Fu Panda Express train coming soon too.   There is just no way to escape the kiddies no matter what server you pick.

I find a lot more evidence of childishness in people that roll on a PVE server in a game based around 2 factions at war in a virtual world. 

Oh I don't disagree with you at all.  But at least I don't have to deal with RP nazis as well.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I'm going to start out on a RP-PvE server.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Kyleran

What gives?

Ah, DarkPony, you have not had the 'pleasure' of playing a MMO on a server that had members of the Something Awlful forums, who join (plague?) every new game under the moniker of "Goon".  In EVE they were called Goonswarm, but I've run into them in WOW, AOC, Rift and several other titles. (I seem "lucky" that way).

They delight in griefing others, especially those of their own faction on games that permit it.

One good thing to remember, the Goons do not open recruit, you have to be a member in good (?) standing with their forums and pay a monthly fee (can be up to 50/mo if you want an officer role).  Normally they actually advance their guild status by scamming people into thinking they can join them by contributing in game money or items, which almost never is the case.

Truly a unique organization no matter whether you love or loath them. image

What was this thread about again?  Oh yeah.

Looking at all the fine people on these forums planning on playing on the RP-PVP servers has me changing my mind, once I decide to join the fun I might hit some of you up with a PM to find out where you ended up playing.

Id all but forgotten about the dark spectre of Goon. Only time ive came across them ingame was in WAR, they played on order side under the moniker of "GoonHammer" and were roundly despised by Chaos and Order alike. Number one kill target for PvP lakes for me at the time. They did field reasonable pre mades in the battlegrounds though i never played them much.

Hopefully I wont be on a server with them in SWTOR although thats wishful thinking as I imagine they will be all over it.

r.i.p. c!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Beegs

Originally posted by Kyleran

What gives?

Id all but forgotten about the dark spectre of Goon. Only time ive came across them ingame was in WAR, they played on order side under the moniker of "GoonHammer" and were roundly despised by Chaos and Order alike. Number one kill target for PvP lakes for me at the time. They did field reasonable pre mades in the battlegrounds though i never played them much.

Hopefully I wont be on a server with them in SWTOR although thats wishful thinking as I imagine they will be all over it.

In Rift they weren't able to all consolidate on a single server, and ended up spread across 3 and fortunately the one on my server was one of the more benign ones that caused no real issues for their allies. (though there were some same side griefing incidents)

In EVE they were (and remain) a very real power to contend with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I always pick RP-PVE although I love PVP, I noticed on many RP-PVE servers people actually add to the imersion, instead of people naming there toons ssSuperSithroidSS or Snuggles. Also people are more mature and like to group and be social without stupidity, usually. Toons with stupid names really erks me, would you name your child born in the stars wars world JumpingJedi? Of course you would, stupid. To each his own though, I dont like taking things to seriously either but it is a roleplaying game last I checked.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'd roll on a RP-PvP if people made decent names there. But seeing the name filter they have is applied in the same way to all servers, I don't think it will matter much.

So PvP, if I see an opposite faction guy, I wonna be able to kill him.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

I am torn between PVP and RP-PVP, not sure if there really is even a difference anymore to most people. Any RP server I have rolled on in other games I still hardly ever see anyone RP, however they do usually have a higher percentage of people 20+ on them. With that simple fact, and since they are generally lower populated I will probably roll on a RP-PVP server actually to avoid ques during headstart and launch.

(Hah, talked myself into one during this post)

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

For this game, I am going to go the exact opposite of what I usually do.  I am a huge pvp nut, but I am kinda drawn towards the RP-PVE servers.  You may ask well why Juggie?  Simple, with the playerbase and lore that this game will offer, I really want to take in the whole Star Wars experience.  For the first time I want to really "Read/Hear" the quest lines and follow the story. I kinda want to go at my own pace, take it all in without having to worry about being ganked. Some might disagree, but with most mmos I play I usually just speed through and get bored within a few weeks.    Second, I have never Roleplayed in a game before and I feel why not try it with one of the biggest movie/playerbase/etc that an MMO can offer.  I can always get my pvp fix from ingame pvp matches, but to experience something like this for the first time, I really want a casual pace ;)

Just my two coppers ;)

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Always have enjoyed PVE more, so that is what I will go with.

Eventually may make a character on a PVP server, but will simply be to see how cut throat it is.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.