Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Texas internet is garbage.

I moved to texas about a year and a half ago, and I have never been more frustrated in my life. Whether I am TRYING to play a online game or simply look up directions on google maps doesn't matter, I get the same bullcrap connection speed. I have two options for internet, Charter or U-Verse. I feel like I'm choosing between getting kicked in the nuts and getting punched in the face. Sure one of them might not hurt as much, but they both suck. How can a state with more corporate headquarters and dense population then any other be so far back when it comes to technology.

Sorry guys, just had to rage alittle. My day off and I can't use the web for anything other then to rage about lag.

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Yeah, Ive been rageing about Houstons Internet options for ever. Only thing I hate about this city. Fourth most populated City, Two Choices... And I cant get one of them...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Get a corporate line. They aren't much more expensive for the same speeds, they have much higher speeds available, and you don't need a business license.... you just have to pay. 

In Little Rock for instance, you can get 6mbps down 768k up, for $70/mo with a static IP. (Which means you can host your own server if you buy the extra hardware). That's comparable to about $50/mo for 8mbps on Residential. 

I forget the prices for the higher speeds, but it gets quite a bit cheaper per mbps as you go up and I think the max speed you can get is around 100mbps, where as Residential caps at 25. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think your problem might actually be your cable.  When I work on someones house for internet there are a wide array of different things that can cause issues.  Here is a list.

• Poor IP routing from home to destination.

• Congestion on cable/tele node.

• Bad house wiring.

• Poor area coverage of WiFi networks.

• Wrong modem.

• Low tier service.

The reason I say house wiring is because most people don't think about it.  If you are at an apartment using uVerse, the phone wires were probably put in the '70s.  Also if it was run on a loop, then the signal from the last leg of the loop could be bad.  Likewise with cable, if it is an older building the wire could be RG59 which transmits signal poorly.  The connectors and spliters may also be done poorly.  If its the same crimp style fittings at the end of wires for cable, then that tends to mess up alot now.  Even on new developments, the construction crew who puts in wire does not know how to put in low voltage.  I often see in new developments phone and cable lines run like they were electrical.  Making sure all your phone and cable outlets run directly to a single point to split from using good cable and fittings makes a world of difference.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I've had absolutely no problems with my AT&T DSL service. I get what I pay for with over 99% up-time. I did have some problems with my house wiring a few years ago but that's my problem not AT&T's.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

i think its time for u to move out of texas and back to where you came from. lol im imaging people in texas using the internet while in cowboy outfits.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Wow.. A one post troll, Wonder who that is?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Wow.. A one post troll, Wonder who that is?

Probably the OP

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Houston is the worst.

Well, the worst major US city for internet.  There used to be about 4 choices:  DSL from SWB (ATT), DSL from a couple local companies, satellite, or cable from Time Warner.  Sadly, now the market is so lame, you can't get anything but 1 DSL or 1 cable company at one location.  Generally it's AT&T and Comcast, but there can be minor viariation.

In the end though, it doesn't matter.  Houston's cable / DSL infrastructure is so horrible that you could have the best shit at your house but you'd have crap 1/2 the time anyway.  I've pretty much given up.  I get the cheapest shit I can find and learn not to complain, it only brings heartache.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Sorry your having issues with internet

There is a secret though,

there is some serious money to be made by someone willing to do the planning to make a pile of cash

in texas making internet speeds top priorty as a business.