Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions About Jedi Shadow Class.

Anyone played this class yet? I haven't really been paying attention to SWOTR but recently agreed to play with some friends. They are going to be playing Jedi/republic whatever alliance that is. Anyway this class interested me the most because of its supposed avoidance tanking abilities. I have played the Ninja class in FFXI and Riftstalker in Rift and enjoyed this type of tanking class a lot. Is this class similar to those types? I also like rogue, stealthy, dps classes so will I be dissapointed by chosing this class? Can I switch from tank to dps spec easily?

Any comments and insight are wholeheartedly appreciated.

Comments

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Have a look at the skill trees for Jedi Shadow: http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#601.1

As for changing spec, this isn't Rift so no one-click spec change. You'd have to go undo your skill points and then redo them to the desired spec each time.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

This is the class I am looking to play at launch. I was going with Kinetic Combat for tanking, but I ended up in a big guild and there are many tanks already. So I may go infultration. Infultration looks to be a rogue type with stealth openers and a lot of melee, but still has many more force abilities than the warrior. And Tankinging is based on blocking and mitigation with more force abilities than melee. This link is a handbook someone made if you want to check it out.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635190 

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Cool thanks guys. A little dissapointed I can't atleast switch btw two specs on the fly but I like the tree and the guide. Have either of you actually played the class? Is it fun and smooth to play? Are things pretty intuitive? Can it be a powerful class?

Sorry for all the questions I gotta catch up on my SW knowledge :D
  • poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    I played shadow in beta and it was very enjoyable. You can switch between tank and dps but not on the fly. You would just have to go respec.
  • KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

Cool thanks guys. A little dissapointed I can't atleast switch btw two specs on the fly but I like the tree and the guide. Have either of you actually played the class? Is it fun and smooth to play? Are things pretty intuitive? Can it be a powerful class? Sorry for all the questions I gotta catch up on my SW knowledge :D

i would really liked if they introduced that feature from start, but that is something that will be for sure implemented in the future

• darkscapedarkscape Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by artemisentr4

This is the class I am looking to play at launch. I was going with Kinetic Combat for tanking, but I ended up in a big guild and there are many tanks already. So I may go infultration. Infultration looks to be a rogue type with stealth openers and a lot of melee, but still has many more force abilities than the warrior. And Tankinging is based on blocking and mitigation with more force abilities than melee. This link is a handbook someone made if you want to check it out.

It's Infiltration....

And no there are absolutely no openers in the Jedi Shadow class. It is not remotely close to the Rogue classes of other MMO's. Yes you have stealth but burning somebody down with openers and stunlocks is not how Jedi Shadow plays.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by darkscape

Originally posted by artemisentr4

It's Infiltration....

And no there are absolutely no openers in the Jedi Shadow class. It is not remotely close to the Rogue classes of other MMO's. Yes you have stealth but burning somebody down with openers and stunlocks is not how Jedi Shadow plays.

Your backstab type move hits extremely hard though and you do get a stun....

However, its not OMG I almost 1 shot someone hard....its hard compared to the other classes though.

This guy is right that it plays differently, but saying its nothing like a rogue from WoW is a bit of a stretch.  It's semi close.

• MurahMurah Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Kidon

Cool thanks guys. A little dissapointed I can't atleast switch btw two specs on the fly but I like the tree and the guide. Have either of you actually played the class? Is it fun and smooth to play? Are things pretty intuitive? Can it be a powerful class? Sorry for all the questions I gotta catch up on my SW knowledge :D

i would really liked if they introduced that feature from start, but that is something that will be for sure implemented in the future

I don't want to so easily switch my spec.  I like feeling commited to my character, that she has a definition, things she's good at, things she's not good at...  Don't want to be a swiss army knife.  I had a hard time staying with Rift, and this was part of it. 

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Originally posted by Murah

Originally posted by Kidon

I don't want to so easily switch my spec.  I like feeling commited to my character, that she has a definition, things she's good at, things she's not good at...  Don't want to be a swiss army knife.  I had a hard time staying with Rift, and this was part of it. 

Well I can respect that, I like fullfilling and growing a certain role as well, but in reality a lot of games these days require flexability because of the impatient community of players that make up their populations.  I prefer having that option to switch.

Can anyone comment on the tanking ability of a Shadow versus the other tanking classes in the game?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I played a Sorcerer and shared a beta forum with the assasins. I didn't play them myself but I can tell you that I saw more complaints about that class than any other.

I think this is partly due to some late beta changes (2 builds ago) where they nerfed the heck out of the range of some abilities (30 to 10) that annoyed those who were used to and enjoyed the previous hybrid melee/ranged DPS style from before.

I'm not sure a new player would ever notice it and most weekend testers who tried it would probably agree... just an FYI since you're considering the class.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED