Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just noticed an email from CCP

GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

EVE Online: If you only open one email from CCP, this is the one to open

We're proud of what we have created, and we are thankful for the playerbase that has given us endless feedback on what they want from EVE Online. We just want to make sure that every member of the EVE community, past and present, gets a chance to see this video.

To all our friends and fans, we wish you happy holidays and a wonderful new year. We love you.

- The entire staff of CCP Games

It might be just me but does it also sound to you so desperate, pathetic and attention whoring? :(

Note: The video talked about in text is pitiful Crucible trailer.

Comments

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Im drunk.  Just wanted to preface this.

I received the same email.  I thought it was funny, I also thought the Cruible trailer was amusing.

That said, Gd, you've become quite the hater.  I'm not happy with CCP and therefore not giving them my money but I still believe in their product and it's potential.  I just don't quite grasp your hatred.  Am I just seeing it wrong?  Sure, they've screwed up - so have many companies.  I just don't feel that this game deserves the amount of hate that you currently, seem, to feel for it.  If all you're interested in is bashing it, why bother?  Everytime someone brings up a "positive" here you are the first to point out the "negative" about it.  While there is nothing wrong with that it just seems to me that you are spending an over-zealous amount of energy on something you dislike.

I'm not against disenting opinions so I'm not telling you to stop, I'm just trying to understand why.

Cheers mate,

k

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Seem quite bitter - They are just letting old players that left because of the focus on fluff that they have turned things around and returned to FiS content.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Gdemami

EVE Online: If you only open one email from CCP, this is the one to open

We're proud of what we have created, and we are thankful for the playerbase that has given us endless feedback on what they want from EVE Online. We just want to make sure that every member of the EVE community, past and present, gets a chance to see this video.

To all our friends and fans, we wish you happy holidays and a wonderful new year. We love you.

- The entire staff of CCP Games

It might be just me but does it also sound to you so desperate, pathetic and attention whoring? :(

Note: The video talked about in text is pitiful Crucible trailer.

No, It doesn't sound like any of those. Sounds more like your bitter over something. They have made some really nice changes. All of which could and should have been made 2 years ago. If you don't care then don't try it. 

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Originally posted by tyrannis

... bitter ...

I think you hit it right on the head.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

It's just you, they way I see it, it's the other way around. It is you who sound so....

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by kovah

That said, Gd, you've become quite the hater.

Hate? I don't think so, just CCP does not stop to surprise me, unfortunately often not in a good way. It is getting even funny sometimes.

Do you consider 'hate' pointing out blunders like Hail with no fall-off and destroyers without ROF penalty, despite they were considered imbalanced and nerfed on test server before the release? It seems to me to be well reasoned and objective criticism.

I feel sorry if you find me 'hating' the game or CCP. I do not take sides here, I focus on reasoning. If you want to see blind, stupid hate, you can turn your attention to Incarna drama queens - I was the one to defend CCP there. I also do give credit to CCP when there is a reason and I was calling bullshit 'moar spaceships' ragers.

Yes, I do bring up negative when there is something not as much positive as it might seem but like said above, also vice versa I bring up positives when there is a reason to.

I always aid and add few lines to new players and encourage them to try the game and give out advice, without pushing my play style over others.

Hate? Hardly but I am not going to sit there and make EVE or CCP look like something they are not. There are 2 sides of the coin to everything and only knowledge of both will allow you to make qualified opinion.

Back to topic:
    Amusing trailer? I can elaborate on that.

Pretty much every trailer so far had some kind of 'focus', a story to tell, leading idea that was following whole trailer. This is usually the 'shiny', new content of the expansion. Sadly, there is nothing like that in Crucible as the expansion is contentless.

This fact then reflects in the trailer where you get some random ships, fighting some other random ships - all together not making much sense. Desperate effort to keep the trailer action paced makes it even worse.

Imo, if I had to make the trailer, I would focus on idea: Crucible is expansion for everyone.
    While there is not much 'shiny' in the expansions, the scale of the changes is so wide that there is something for everyone, despite it's being very little. Trailer than can show different professions doing different things and how their game play was 'improved'. Wouldn't that make more sense to you?

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

The post above me has some good points.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I got it too and it stood out to me too. But of course it's just marketing.

- They have some exciting new additions to show in the hope to draw back ex-players.

- They know that people instantly delete most advertising emails from mmorpgs they used to play

A solution: Make a "pathetic" plea like that.

Looking at the OP it worked :)

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Opapanax

The post above me has some good points.

Oh, I'm not here to deny his good points as Gd has many of them.  Just wondering why he feels the need to post about something that he seems to dislike so much.  (yep, kinda ignored your response, sorry Gd)

edit: also, drunk again.  Yay for my weekend being Sunday-Monday!(EST)

furtherEdit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1kOu5kG-lk  Just thought this might fit in (NSFW lyrics!)

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I don't get it, you support the expansion that added absolutely nothing to the actual game, but you look at the latest expansion as having nothing 'shiny'?

You're just so blatantly bitter and upset, it's tough to take anything you say seriously.

So new t2 modules, player owned customs offices (something new to fight over), NEW T3 SHIPS, graphics etc aren't SHINY additions?

An expansion that adds a silly instanced room that 75% of the community turned off due to graphic issues, you'll defend.

However, an expansion that has changes/additions that promote FIGHTING, new ships, new items, new graphics, new player owned structures, super cap balancing etc - That's contentless? Are you really that blinded by your own emo hatred? Come on man.. I would be embarrassed.

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Pretty much every trailer so far had some kind of 'focus', a story to tell, leading idea that was following whole trailer. This is usually the 'shiny', new content of the expansion. 

Sorry, but that's patently false. The recent trailers have featured rendered characters and storylines, sure.  The old school trailers not so much, and this new trailer is obviously a concious effort by CCP to return to their roots.

"Eve Never Fades" is considered by many long time players to be the best trailer, and it's what brought me to the game way back when.  Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5LdPf2J_hs

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

Originally posted by Dalano

Sorry, but that's patently false. The recent trailers have featured rendered characters and storylines, sure.  The old school trailers not so much, and this new trailer is obviously a concious effort by CCP to return to their roots.

Apart from your bold statement that old trailers 'not so much' have story to tell , you do not provide examples to support your claim because that is exactly what EVE Never Fades does - provide a story, it is well structured and directed trailer.

The trailer starts with portraying a city, a future city devastated by war, then camera zooms out to orbital debris and wrecks with flashbacks of ship fights - there was a war not only on surface but it was everywhere and the world has burned in fire.

Next sequence is showing off space stations and ships, human kind coming to New Eden. 4 races settling in New Eden, 4 races that fight each other as they expand over the massive new wold - scene with map and periodically lightened systems as the war rages. Spots featuring: New World, New Voyage - followed by showcase of structures, mostly deadspace complexes.

New spots: New Frontier, New Reality - new empires were established, life is born in New Eden - scenes of market, fitting a ship, mission briefing, formation of corporations and alliances, stations, mining, ships flying after their daily duties - breathing new world...

No 'story' there, huh? Are you familiar with the game and lore?

I do not see your point here as EVE Never Fades is perfectly demonstrating what Crucible trailer is missing, yet you tell me I am wrong?

No 'story' there, huh? Are you familiar with the game and lore?

Let's see...

No voiceovers? Check.

New ships and features highlighted? Check.

Actual gameplay highlighted? Check.

Action sequences with explosions? Check.

Techno music in the background? Check.

Same director? Check.

Seems like Eve Never Fades and the Crucible trailers are very similar to me. Eve Never Fades is longer (and better), and was designed to bring new players to the game as opposed to bringing old players back. Yes, there is a thread of narrative there, as you have pointed out, but please don't try to make it War and Peace. There are no characters, there is no definite plot, only a thin backstory that most non-EvE players won't even pick up on and lots of cool gameplay footage designed to showcase what the game is all about. Crucible is directed at players that already know what the game is about.

Originally posted by Dalano

Seems like Eve Never Fades and the Crucible trailers are very similar to me.

One has story, the other has not - that makes them truly similar indeed.

Still no support for your claim that 'old school trailers have not so much story to tell' nor you can provide similarities with Crucible trailer.

Crucible is just a lackluster as is the trailer. That alone is ok, but pretending otherwise is silly...

Fly safe.

Still no support for your claim that 'old school trailers have not so much story to tell' nor you can provide similarities with Crucible trailer.

Did you even read my post?

Let's try this again:

No voiceovers? Check.

New ships and features highlighted? Check.

Actual gameplay highlighted? Check.

Action sequences with explosions? Check.

Techno music in the background? Check.

Same director? Check.

Those aren't similarities? Really?

And I also talked about how Eve Never Fades has a thread of narrative, but no characters, plot etc; things that are normally associated with "stories". The recent trailers have mostly had those elements, especially the Incursion trailer. That's why I and others see a similarity between the Crucible trailer and Eve Never Fades.