Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most expensive car crash ever.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0d3adb4bI&feature=player_embedded

A road accident in Japan involving 24 cars, luckily there were not fatalities, only a few injuries.

24 cars total

8 FERRARI

3 MERCEDES

1 LAMBORGHINI

Comments

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Im gana go with a Hunch that the 12 you listed were probably at fault for that pileup...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Im gana go with a Hunch that the 12 you listed were probably at fault for that pileup...

I think so too. Apparently they weren't driving that fast, but still faster than the allowed limit, so it will be hard to get insurance I think lol.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by CalmOceans

I think so too. Apparently they weren't driving that fast, but still faster than the allowed limit, so it will be hard to get insurance I think lol.

"An unidentified male eyewitness told the TBS network: "A group of cars was doing 140-160 kilometres (85-100 miles) per hour. One of them spun and they all ended up in this great mess." 

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japan-supercars-4m-highway-pile-171040823.html 

140 to 160 is pretty damn fast and would explain why it was a pile up rather than a one car crash.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Insurance on a Ferrarri?  That would be like $20k per year.  I doubt they have insurance to begin with, you can get a Ferrarri here for $20k.

Ferrarri 308

Anyone like how the Lamborghini on the 3rd picture looks fine despite it being the worst in safety, and hardest to control?  Also I think this calls for an obligatory Asian Driver joke.

86 MPH is pretty mundane speeds in California, you can only pile those cars up if you are drving too close.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Hazelle

"An unidentified male eyewitness told the TBS network: "A group of cars was doing 140-160 kilometres (85-100 miles) per hour. One of them spun and they all ended up in this great mess." 

140 to 160 is pretty damn fast and would explain why it was a pile up rather than a one car crash.

140 to 160 isn't THAT fast, now of course it depends on the road. But here someone got caught doing 210 on the highway in an Aston Martin, didn't get involved in an accident or anything. Ironically he got caught because someone who was in the car posted a video of it on youtube. (The internet: owning morons since its conception)

And heck if you go on german highways you'll notice 140 is pretty standard (on the left lane at least, and on those pieces of highway where there is no speed limit)

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124

Yeah i would deffinantly say that was exoensive!!

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0d3adb4bI&feature=player_embedded

A road accident in Japan involving 24 cars, luckily there were not fatalities, only a few injuries.

24 cars total

8 FERRARI

3 MERCEDES

1 LAMBORGHINI

And a Toyota Prius.  Don't forget the Prius.  After all, that's the car that's going to save the earth. image

Image Detail

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

I do consistently more than that on my brother's pegeout 206, 140-160km/h is nothing for cars like that, they probably were going at 200km/h

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Originally posted by Cleffy

Insurance on a Ferrarri?  That would be like $20k per year.  I doubt they have insurance to begin with, you can get a Ferrarri here for $20k.

Ferrarri 308

Anyone like how the Lamborghini on the 3rd picture looks fine despite it being the worst in safety, and hardest to control?  Also I think this calls for an obligatory Asian Driver joke.

86 MPH is pretty mundane speeds in California, you can only pile those cars up if you are drving too close.

I think you might be a bit misinformed. :)  Insurance on a Ferrari wouldn't even be close to 20k a year unless the driver has an awful driving record.  As for the Lamborghini being the "worst in safety and hardest to control", that's just ridiculous.

I have an '06 Lamborghini Gallardo.  Insurance is about $300 a month when added to our bulk policy.  I do have a clean record however.  I've driven alot of different exotics, and I can promise you, the Lambo is one of the absolute best handling cars I've ever driven.  AWD contributes mostly to this.  It's almost an "invicible" feeling, as the car seems to never want to break loose, and if it does, you might understeer a bit.  Now, as for the safety part, I can't really comment on that, as thankfully I have yet to test it. :)  

The Ferrari's I've driven (360 and F430 Scuderia) can get a bit squirrely as they are RWD, but handle just as well.  You just have to be mindful of oversteer.   Again on the safety aspect I have no opinion. 

A couple of years ago, I had the same impressions as you about the exotic cars.  But they are mostly rumors and stigmas.  The reality isn't nearly as bad as people think.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by generals3

140 to 160 isn't THAT fast, now of course it depends on the road. But here someone got caught doing 210 on the highway in an Aston Martin, didn't get involved in an accident or anything. Ironically he got caught because someone who was in the car posted a video of it on youtube. (The internet: owning morons since its conception)

And heck if you go on german highways you'll notice 140 is pretty standard (on the left lane at least, and on those pieces of highway where there is no speed limit)

The average speed of nascars is usually just that fast between 140 and 160...

The german highways, much like the nascar speedways, were designed to allow for higher speeds but most other roads in the world are not.  They are not meticulously  cleaned of debris...  The curves of them are much tighter...  The grades are much steeper...  Germany has a 0.05% blood alcohol level.  The minimum age for driving in Germany is 18...  They are Germans, so although they can go as fast as they want, they ususally only drive at the recommended speed of 130 km/h.

The average speed of nascars is usually just that fast between 140 and 160...

The german highways, much like the nascar speedways, were designed to allow for higher speeds but most other roads in the world are not.  They are not meticulously  cleaned of debris...  The curves of them are much tighter...  The grades are much steeper...  Germany has a 0.05% blood alcohol level.  The minimum age for driving in Germany is 18...  They are Germans, so although they can go as fast as they want, they ususally only drive at the recommended speed of 130 km/h.

Having experienced the german Highways i can assure you that even at 160 km/h often you'll need to go off the left lane because some BMW or Audi wants to pass through at 180 or more.

But you're correct the road design can highly affect the "safe speed limit". But just wanted to say 140-160km/h ain't that much. Heck i sometimes get up to 150-160 in my fiesta when i'm not paying attention and get pressured by some random BMW (always BMW's...) behind me and that's on roads with a normal limit of 120km/h

Also, I'd like to point out, that 85-100mph in these cars is nothing.  Really, it feels like you're going 55.  I've done 135 on curvy country roads in my Lambo (only once, realized how stupid and dangerous that was).  And on those kinds of roads, it gets a bit hairy.   But on the highway, even 150+ feels like you're just cruising.  It appears they were on a highway, so I'd say if they were going that speed, they were just barely cruising. 

My guess would be that they were passing slower cars in other lanes, and some asshat wasn't paying attention and merged over right in front of one of the cars, thereby causing an accident then a pileup. 

Seriously though...speed limits are for the lowest common denominator.  Most of them are based on cars with older technology that can't handle, can't accelerate, and can't brake like the newer cars.  55 being the max mph in my state aside from some 70mph highway speeds is ridiculous.  Newer cars, even minivans are capable of MUCH better performance and safe handling.  Driving exotic cars at posted speed limits feels like you are moving along in slow motion.  They are capable of SO much more, and can do so extremely safely.  90mph in a lambo isn't the same as 90 in your dad's oldsmobile.  But the laws are based on it unfortunately.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

My uncle is one of those who dirves 160km/h (100mph) all the time, he has a BMW7 series and you don't feel the speed at all. Although I usually tell him to slow down.

Originally posted by Vhayne

Also, I'd like to point out, that 85-100mph in these cars is nothing.  Really, it feels like you're going 55.  I've done 135 on curvy country roads in my Lambo (only once, realized how stupid and dangerous that was).  And on those kinds of roads, it gets a bit hairy.   But on the highway, even 150+ feels like you're just cruising.  It appears they were on a highway, so I'd say if they were going that speed, they were just barely cruising. 

My guess would be that they were passing slower cars in other lanes, and some asshat wasn't paying attention and merged over right in front of one of the cars, thereby causing an accident then a pileup. 

Seriously though...speed limits are for the lowest common denominator.  Most of them are based on cars with older technology that can't handle, can't accelerate, and can't brake like the newer cars.  55 being the max mph in my state aside from some 70mph highway speeds is ridiculous.  Newer cars, even minivans are capable of MUCH better performance and safe handling.  Driving exotic cars at posted speed limits feels like you are moving along in slow motion.  They are capable of SO much more, and can do so extremely safely.  90mph in a lambo isn't the same as 90 in your dad's oldsmobile.  But the laws are based on it unfortunately.

Well it's also because there are a lot of not so competent drivers out there who are dangerous at such speeds. A lot of people can drive "safely" at such speeds but than you have those unpredictable twats who drive as if they were alone on the road and are public dangers and while still dangerous at lower speed they still are less than at speeds like 140-160.

Originally posted by Vhayne

Well it's also because there are a lot of not so competent drivers out there who are dangerous at such speeds. A lot of people can drive "safely" at such speeds but than you have those unpredictable twats who drive as if they were alone on the road and are public dangers and while still dangerous at lower speed they still are less than at speeds like 140-160.

Very true.  I wish there were different "levels" of license you could obtain to enable you to legally drive at faster speeds.  Doubt it would work though lol.