Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is for Role Players

I have been in beta a long time and SWTOR is a role players paradise, haters underplay what giving your character a story does because it completely changes the endgame dynamic.

No more do you need to rip levels to get to the raid hierarchy or arena gear trolling, the adventure you go on is amazing and the pvp I found on places like Illum (when it was open)  is far superior to most other games, even in beta form.

That in it's self is worthy of praise, people who are mmofps players in disguise and denial can sit and wait. I am so glad to be rid of the serving the guild leader, meet infront of the dungeon on Wednesday at 9:00pm sharp crowd I could do a /dance.

SWTOR is a great place to join other role players, in a group, with your favorite companion or however you like to spend your time, but I enjoy ellements of gaming I had long forgoten about.

If you're sick of the powerleveling, servitude to the raid system or the same old cheesy drone play, I suggest those of you on the fence grab a copy.

[Mod Edit]

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Player A who roleplays and takes his time with the game is no better nor superior to gamer B who races to the finishline just so he can go on Rancor raids to get those precious crystals and shards.

You don't define what the 'correct' or 'appropriate' way to play a game is. The best you can do is speak for yourself while leaving out your arrogance in the process. Now try again.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

most of the haters arent wow players. i dont know how many times i have to actually state that for someone to realize its true . In fact i know mroe wow players going to tor then i do that rip tor. 

The truth is the crowd blasting tor is gw 2 fanbois and sandbox fans who wanted tor to be galaxies 2 and is upset its not galaxies 2 depsite bioware telling them for i dont know 3 yrs now it wasnt gonna ge galaxies 2

That said i think u are right. role players will love tor and seems form what i saw on torwars story they are listening to roleplayers adding things like sitting down and others things for roleplayers that they wanted ing ame.

They also will have the raid scene and all to go with it though . Even though u dont have other things to do if u dont like the whoel raid scene.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by rdrpappy

I have been in beta a long time and SWTOR is a role players paradise, haters underplay what giving your character a story does because it completely changes the endgame dynamic.

The only thing that slightly bother me is the voice of my character. At one point I decided that if possible my character are going to follow my 3B layout. (Big, Black and Blond) and now I am running with this heavy black dude and suddenly coming with a voice that simply does not match. You do not even need others to roleplay, you can easily enjoy that on your own.

In fact as a roleplayer you really do not need a lot. You do not need to hurry though the content just because some dude tells you that. Plenty of guilds in every game to suit every player. I remember being an undead on a RP server on WoW who kinda was lazy, like a why run when you can walk altitude (I think my character was much like Richard in the LFG comics and that was waaaay before those comics) and I almost always walked everywhere and as a player simply took the time to enjoy the surrounding.

On Face of Mankind I often took some nice long walks in Manhattan, talking to random people and discussed the finer points of life in that world, debated politics and talk about recent events and wars....or got shot and called in the army.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

No more do you need to rip levels to get to the raid hierarchy or arena gear trolling, the adventure you go on is amazing and the pvp I found on places like Illum (when it was open)  is far superior to most other games, even in beta form.

That in it's self is worthy of praise, people who are mmofps players in disguise and denial can sit and wait. I am so glad to be rid of the serving the guild leader, meet infront of the dungeon on Wednesday at 9:00pm sharp crowd I could do a /dance.

SWTOR is a great place to join other role players, in a group, with your favorite companion or however you like to spend your time, but I enjoy ellements of gaming I had long forgoten about.

If you're sick of the powerleveling, servitude to the raid system or the same old cheesy drone play, I suggest those of you on the fence grab a copy.

[Mod Edit]

EQ2 and LOTRO both have great RP communities. Both games also have people that want to reach end game and hurry to do so. Unless you think that the abundance of cut scenes is going to slow everyone up you will have both types of players in TOR also.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I don't think a person needs to be a role player to enjoy a rich indepth storyline. I think the community will be a great one though of great people including Star Wars fans, Bioware fans and roleplayers but it will also contain hardcore players and griefers. I believe it will be a diverse community like most mmo's, especially in its first year when everyone is experiencing things in the game for the first time.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Starpower

Player A who roleplays and takes his time with the game is no better nor superior to gamer B who races to the finishline just so he can go on Rancor raids to get those precious crystals and shards.

You don't define what the 'correct' or 'appropriate' way to play a game is. The best you can do is speak for yourself while leaving out your arrogance in the process. Now try again.

I agree that arrogance has no place when talking about shuch things, but I would disagree with you that there are 'appropriate' ways to play a game.  Games are designed with a certain goal in mind.  In this case, that games will live through a more intense story line.  Thus they put their efforts into give the biggest entertainment value to those goals.  So those who play the game appropriately, recieve the maximum use of the elements the game happens.  Do you have to do that?  Of course not, but using the max elements a games designs offers, is clearly what is intended.

You can use a screwdriver to remove the keys on your keyboard to clean them, and it would work, you would get the job done, but its probably not the best use of the equipment.

In either case, the user can get just as much enjoyment out of the experience as the person who uses the product 'appropriately'.  Either way, enjoyment is of paramount importance, so using the appropriate method isn't the goal, but there an appropriate method nonetheless

I self identify as a monkey.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

+1 ^

The 'appropriate' way to play an MMO is how the individual, YOU, want to play it..

And to try and define people who dislike TOR is a fail from the very beginning.Not all of them are sandboxers or 'GW2 Fanbois'.. some just plain dont like the game.Just like some people like pickles and some dont.

Believe it or not,but it just very well could be a matter of taste.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'd have to almost completely disagree with the OP on this.

TOR has potential, but there is a lot it needs to do better to be considered a roleplay 'paradise'.

1) Customization is pretty terrible. Both on your own character, and on your companions. The first 25 lvls I was running around with many other players that looks more or less identical to my character, and had identical companions. This really breaks immersion which is key to a good RP atmosphere.

2) Storylines. I hate to say it, but many of the storylines just don't feel right for the characters they are given. As mentioned in another thread, most of the imperial storylines sound like they were written for the bounty hunter, and most of the republic storylines sound like they were written for the trooper/smuggler. The choices don't reflect the outcome, or maybe it's the other way around; either way it's imbalanced and feels awkward.

'What do you want to do Padawan?' 'I'm going to go against the code and use these dark powers to grow stronger1' 'How dare you!? Congrats you are now a Jedi Knight!'. - Or constantly being driven between doing tasks for money, or honor. There should be more ambiguous choices, and there should be more visible consequences to your choices. It's hard for me to feel like i'm in an actual 'role' when it is constantly at odds with the outcome of my choices. Another example of this was when I was playing the Revanite questline. I literally insulted all the revanites, called them idiots, threw their ideals in their faces, and was then rewarded as one of their most esteemed members. Really? Why wasn't I told to go screw myself for being such a jerk? It just doesn't make much sense.

3) More insentives for social interaction. The current design just doesn't really encourage players to interact and make content. There are no story elements in which having additional members really changes the dynamic of an event at all. The dialogue may vary slightly, but the outcome does not. Why not have situations (flashpoints) where having say a smuggler in your group opens up entirely different scenarios you can play through, ie making your way through secret areas of the ship. They started to do this with the crew skills, but it's not nearly as immersive. "anyone got scavenging, we need a 40 scavenger to blow open this corredor" is not nearly as fun as "Hey Jedi, why bother fighting your way through all that, when we can simply slip through this area right here and avoid that room entirely?". This would also fit better with the films, as that dynamic is ever present between comrades.

- The game is fun, but I do get the feeling people are settling for star wars, when they could've gotten much more from this game.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Role playing is simply playing your character instead of powerleveling through all the content, this game gives you a great place to do that.

I do not, and I cant stand where most online rpg's have gone as a result, this one however has a chance.

SWTOR is awesome and I dont post much about anything, I have been here a longggggggg time and I dont always take the time to just say run my soup cooler like many of you.

So when I say many of the nearly countless negative posts, made by nubs, on a weekend stint, with a compaq pressario, have been doing potential players of this game a great disservice, I mean it.

SWTOR rocks

[Mod Edit]

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by aesperus

TOR has potential, but there is a lot it needs to do better to be considered a roleplay 'paradise'.

1) Customization is pretty terrible. Both on your own character, and on your companions. The first 25 lvls I was running around with many other players that looks more or less identical to my character, and had identical companions. This really breaks immersion which is key to a good RP atmosphere.

2) Storylines. I hate to say it, but many of the storylines just don't feel right for the characters they are given. As mentioned in another thread, most of the imperial storylines sound like they were written for the bounty hunter, and most of the republic storylines sound like they were written for the trooper/smuggler. The choices don't reflect the outcome, or maybe it's the other way around; either way it's imbalanced and feels awkward.

'What do you want to do Padawan?' 'I'm going to go against the code and use these dark powers to grow stronger1' 'How dare you!? Congrats you are now a Jedi Knight!'. - Or constantly being driven between doing tasks for money, or honor. There should be more ambiguous choices, and there should be more visible consequences to your choices. It's hard for me to feel like i'm in an actual 'role' when it is constantly at odds with the outcome of my choices. Another example of this was when I was playing the Revanite questline. I literally insulted all the revanites, called them idiots, threw their ideals in their faces, and was then rewarded as one of their most esteemed members. Really? Why wasn't I told to go screw myself for being such a jerk? It just doesn't make much sense.

3) More insentives for social interaction. The current design just doesn't really encourage players to interact and make content. There are no story elements in which having additional members really changes the dynamic of an event at all. The dialogue may vary slightly, but the outcome does not. Why not have situations (flashpoints) where having say a smuggler in your group opens up entirely different scenarios you can play through, ie making your way through secret areas of the ship. They started to do this with the crew skills, but it's not nearly as immersive. "anyone got scavenging, we need a 40 scavenger to blow open this corredor" is not nearly as fun as "Hey Jedi, why bother fighting your way through all that, when we can simply slip through this area right here and avoid that room entirely?". This would also fit better with the films, as that dynamic is ever present between comrades.

- The game is fun, but I do get the feeling people are settling for star wars, when they could've gotten much more from this game.

I'd say 2) was a MAJOR sticking point for me..

The way Bioware introduced their signature dialogue and choices to the MMO world was just poorly done in my book.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by aesperus

I have to agree, and I'd like to add one more thing: neutral path benefits. Right now, the game funnels you into either Dark or Light, with all grey in between being penalized (worse access to gear). That strikes me as completely anti-RP, because it forces me to roleplay purely evil/good character, or be gimped for not doing so. Roleplaying requires freedom of choice, otherwise it's just experiencing non-interactive story.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Role playing is simply playing your character instead of powerleveling through all the content, this game gives you a great place to do that.

I do not, and I cant stand where most online rpg's have gone as a result, this one however has a chance.

SWTOR is awesome and I dont post much about anything, I have been here a longggggggg time and I dont always take the time to just say run my soup cooler like many of you.

So when I say many of the nearly countless negative posts, made by nubs, on a weekend stint, with a compaq pressario, have been doing potential players of this game a great disservice, I mean it.

SWTOR rocks

[Mod Edit]

I will surely take my time to lvl, i'm normally a powerlvler and pvp hardcore fan, but other than the first years of WOW, nothing else comes close, it doesnt even matter if the other MMO's are better than SW:TOR as it never did for 7 years regarding WOW, u build an MMO on huge fan player base, like WOW has, and only Stars Wars can match, even Blizzard's directors knew that.

I'm really glad they created a game around a Story driven mmo, awsome game

Glory to the empire

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Kidon

I will surely take my time to lvl, i'm normally a powerlvler and pvp hardcore fan, but other than the first years of WOW, nothing else comes close, it doesnt even matter if the other MMO's are better than SW:TOR as it never did for 7 years regarding WOW, u build an MMO on huge fan player base, like WOW has, and only Stars Wars can match, even Blizzard's directors knew that.

I'm really glad they created a game around a Story driven mmo, awsome game

Glory to the empire

Or you just make a fun and good game because you want to. Doesn't matter what your audience is. If you cater too much your game becomes too soft and you lose audience. In WoW's case they cater to the EverQuest and Warcraft audience and they have stuck to that and never changed which is why they lost me as a subscriber.

I don't understand why the OP says SW:TOR will not be endgame organized guild instance raid based and more of an immersed and roleplayer's game that won't require players to join a guild and schedule weekly raids once or twice a week at 9pm. What makes this game different from WoW? Everything we've heard about the game so far seems to have pointed to the game being just another themepark but with an emphasis on story (which you'll run out of at endgame eventually and turn to scheduled organized endgame raids in teamspeak or vent).

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

No sitting in  chairs

day/night

dye gear? vanity items that are not available only through the CE edition?

Story: check

Ability to be part of the story: no

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Puremallace

No sitting in  chairs

day/night

dye gear? vanity items that are not available only through the CE edition?

Story: check

Ability to be part of the story: no

They are putting in sitting in chairs.   They have a modding system for appearance, a way to match your armor to your chestpiece, AND an appearance tab coming soon after launch. Not sure what more you could want.  

Story:  check

Ability to be part of the story:  Check

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

[Mod Edit]

So So So true, could not agree more.....

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The OP did not define anything he just pointed out that the gaming environment suited a playstyle he likes.

It is always interesting to see people who are running scared at a point well made. The OP does not need to try again and makes a good point whilst your response just seems reactionary...

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

[Mod Edit]

IMHO TOR is one of the worst MMO for RPers.

• The world feels lifeless

• Poor exploration value

• The look of your character is imposed to the player. Not even gear dyes

• Story puts your character on rails

• Total lack of sandboxes elements

• No macros for emotes

• No housing furnishing

• No swimming

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by Deewe

[Mod Edit]

IMHO TOR is one of the worst MMO for RPers.

• The world feels lifeless

• Poor exploration value

• The look of your character is imposed to the player. Not even gear dyes

• Story puts your character on rails

• Total lack of sandboxes elements

• No macros for emotes

• No housing furnishing

• No swimming

I can see where you're coming from, though I, personally, have come from an MMO with much less and found more than exceptional RP in every nook and cranny. 

It'll be up more to the communities than anything, as is the case with almost every MMO ever. Fortunately, I have come to find that the Star Wars nests are rife with capable roleplayers; of course, that's not to say that they're all fantastic and warm-hearted individuals.

From lore nazis to ego hounds, there's a lot folks out there I'd prefer not to associate with in terms of RP. Still, I know a few good folks.. and I think most people will just have to find the server that is right for them - via forums, in-game community, so-on and so-fourth.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

Have to agree with the people saying swtor is among the worst games for RP. Bioware decides who you are in this game! How is that RP? Now, I'm no avid RPer myself, but sometimes I do like to come up with who I am in the more sandboxy theme park games. In swtor I'm just along for the ride.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

It's not arrogance when the OP is just stating his opinion.  There is no wrong or right in this case, just his opinion.   Which is what this is all about, opinions.  

Arrogance, on the other hand,  is someone who calls someone else aggrogant when it's not true.   Now YOU try again.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

OP didn't think this thru very well. 

You do not have to be into RP to enjoy this game and in fact probably won't enjoy if thats all you're looking for.  I could go on but I'll trust in the general intelligence of the room to decide fact from fiction.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by tort0429

It's not arrogance when the OP is just stating his opinion.  There is no wrong or right in this case, just his opinion.   Which is what this is all about, opinions.  
    Arrogance, on the other hand,  is someone who calls someone else aggrogant when it's not true.   Now YOU try again.

Maybe its not so much sharing an opinion but rather every other thread around here seems to be someone building a case either for or against a game. This doesnt really seem to encourage discussion. Its just a bunch of people defending their agendas.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

That is not how I define roleplaying, but then again, I come from a table top background. 

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by tort0429

Maybe its not so much sharing an opinion but rather every other thread around here seems to be someone building a case either for or against a game. This doesnt really seem to encourage discussion. Its just a bunch of people defending their agendas.

That depends on how relativistic the opinion is. If it's about merit given by taste and how something works for somebody, then opinions are worth what they are to the people stating them and others who share it.

However, there are opinions based on undeniable substance which can be wrong with the slighest of given bias. If the opinion is relativistic and aimed at something factually true, it is worthless.

From what OP stated, he seems to be catering to himself and other fans, while ignoring technical facts. So I would say his opinion is as valid as any other fans, which shows that to the right mindset the game is fun.