Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An humble take on SWTOR road to keep subscribers

2»

Comments

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Cross server LFG won't be, and shouldn't be, something they are working on on the short term. This is something you add to a game that's matured a bit, if at all. While it has it's advantages it also destroys any sort of community in the game. If they add it I'd just as soon that it happened two or three years down the road. They'd be better off making companions more viable in the tanking/healing roles so that in those situations when a tank or healer can't be found then a companion can fill the role. If they manage server populations well then there should really be no need for cross server LFG, imo.

Edit: and before you say anything I know you said no cross server, I just wanted to stress my opposition to cross server LFG before people start the call for it.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by BarakIII

Cross server LFG won't be, and shouldn't be, something they are working on on the short term. This is something you add to a game that's matured a bit, if at all. While it has it's advantages it also destroys any sort of community in the game. If they add it I'd just as soon that it happened two or three years down the road. They'd be better off making companions more viable in the tanking/healing roles so that in those situations when a tank or healer can't be found then a companion can fill the role. If they manage server populations well then there should really be no need for cross server LFG, imo.

Edit: and before you say anything I know you said no cross server, I just wanted to stress my opposition to cross server LFG before people start the call for it.

Fully agree on your cross server take.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Elikal

I'd add "many more ambient sounds" and more animated fauna/city life to TOP PRIORITY!

A more life like atmosphere is what I would want as well. Frankly I'm surprised the world feels as dead as it does.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

The short list, and short term list for me (I would say, within 1-3 months of launch would be...

1) UI Customization (atleast as good as Rift's, where you can move around frames,resize them,ect)

2)Parse capability - At this point it is fair so say the combat log may not make it into launch, and with that parsing. So this would be up there

3)Dual Spec

4)Guild Banks

5)Improved LFG system (NOT a dungeon finder)

Those are the most important ones to me and the ones which bother me the most. This is of coarse siding with things like new flashpoints and operations. (Assuming 1 major content patch in the first quarter of the game's launch)

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Meh I like the respec part of any game, if a game doesn't allow me to play may way through the game, or customize my character all the basics for free I will not play it Free 2 Play, or P2P, such as Aion for exampel I was subscribed for quite awhile had the collectors edition of that game and then they add all these other things and made the game so I could no longer play my way I quickly quit the game.

Respect really isn't a bad thing either why would someone want to waste their time leveling a character they make a wrong choice, or get tired of something and want to change a role.

But the Customization in SWTOR really does suck big times they need to improve that a lot by giving players the option to dye armors, and wear a cosmetic set like in RIFT if they want to.

Also hey I do agree PVP should be avalable on all areas except one Space Staton which is neutral no weapons can be used this gives players the place to buy their stuff incase one side took over every single area in the game, but space stations and everything else could be fought over.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Deewe

Thoughts, anyone?

its critical and gives good reasons why but you will still get flamed because its "your" opinion and others do not share your opinions. You are corrent in pretty much every point though and really hope more people start giving bioware this sort of critical feedback so we can actually get a really decent game that will last more than a few months

So what do you think that BW did with all the feedback from players in the last year?, swtor have 1 year running with servers online  24/7, they have a lot of feedback, and the game that we have now, is a direct consequence of that.,¨the players feedback¨. 

EXACTLEY and I bet you a LOT of the feedback they got was this constant crap smeared all over the forums saying this game is perfect and a 10/10 or 9/10. I bet you if they got a much higher amount of actual critical feedback we wouldn't see a lot of things in this game that make it feel like a game that should of been released a decade ago. I have done video game tests before at the actual game studios before.. Did activision a few times and it amazed me how many people would play a piece of crap game but give almost no constructive feedback and some even said they loved it. Developers are just going to assume everything is all and well and release the game as is.

Wait just a minute.  How do you know what kind of feedback they got from their testers?  Were you reading it all before it got passed on to the developers?  Not to mention, who made you the expert on what is and is not critical feedback?  What I read here is since you don't agree with other people then they are wrong AND have nothing decent to say.  I have news for you, other people have other opinions than yours and that does NOT make it any less valid than yours.

My guess is that what feedback BioWare did get was filtered pretty heavily and unless they had a particular direction they felt they had to go, then then were listening strongly to the MAJORITY opinions since they want to get as many people playing as possible.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Elikal

I'd add "many more ambient sounds" and more animated fauna/city life to TOP PRIORITY!

A more life like atmosphere is what I would want as well. Frankly I'm surprised the world feels as dead as it does.

I have to admit that one of the things I never thought would come out as an issue. This isn't Skyrim still Diablo feels more alive than this!

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by GMan3

Wait just a minute.  How do you know what kind of feedback they got from their testers?  Were you reading it all before it got passed on to the developers?  Not to mention, who made you the expert on what is and is not critical feedback?  What I read here is since you don't agree with other people then they are wrong AND have nothing decent to say.  I have news for you, other people have other opinions than yours and that does NOT make it any less valid than yours.

My guess is that what feedback BioWare did get was filtered pretty heavily and unless they had a particular direction they felt they had to go, then then were listening strongly to the MAJORITY opinions since they want to get as many people playing as possible.

never said I was an expert on anything or my opinion means more than others. So many people putting words in my mouth and twisting what i write. I rember testing Tony Hawks Ride game at activision couple years back and everyone there honestly did not give one single negative comment about the game. The game at that stage was a huge mess, even worse than what ended up being released. Perhaps if they got more critical feedback during development it wouldn't of been released and recieve a 44 metacritic score

• karankaran Member Posts: 22

Great post. Only 2 things I strongly disagree with are 1) recustomization should not extend to name, specie or gender, and 2) player housing should not be instanced. That takes away the whole point of it, not having random other players running thru a player city and gawking at the houses. Looking at all the awesome random player cities was one of the best parts of SWG.

Otherwise a great post, and one BW would be smart to take a look at.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by karan

Great post. Only 2 things I strongly disagree with are 1) recustomization should not extend to name, specie or gender, and 2) player housing should not be instanced. That takes away the whole point of it, not having random other players running thru a player city and gawking at the houses. Looking at all the awesome random player cities was one of the best parts of SWG.

I totaly agree! Thanks OP it's a great post but I too think recustomization shouldn't be extended to name, gender and species and, I hate instanced housing too. Player cites really were amazing and one of the best things about SWG's housing system.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Thoughts, anyone?

its critical and gives good reasons why but you will still get flamed because its "your" opinion and others do not share your opinions. You are corrent in pretty much every point though and really hope more people start giving bioware this sort of critical feedback so we can actually get a really decent game that will last more than a few months

So what do you think that BW did with all the feedback from players in the last year?, swtor have 1 year running with servers online  24/7, they have a lot of feedback, and the game that we have now, is a direct consequence of that.,¨the players feedback¨. 

EXACTLEY and I bet you a LOT of the feedback they got was this constant crap smeared all over the forums saying this game is perfect and a 10/10 or 9/10. I bet you if they got a much higher amount of actual critical feedback we wouldn't see a lot of things in this game that make it feel like a game that should of been released a decade ago. I have done video game tests before at the actual game studios before.. Did activision a few times and it amazed me how many people would play a piece of crap game but give almost no constructive feedback and some even said they loved it. Developers are just going to assume everything is all and well and release the game as is.

What are you talking about?, seriously. i mean, thats ur personal opinion, just that, and for some ¨weird¨ reason just a vocal minority thing like you about the game, the other 95% cant wait till launch, i wonder why?.

only time will tell right? lets see how things go in 6 months and watch this game become the next tabula rasa.. I REALLY want this game to do well but strongly believe a LOT of things need to be changed so it doesn't go the route of tabula. AAA MMO should not be released in 2011 well pretty muvch 2012 and miss so many basic features like the OP states. I have been playing MMO type games since the day of MUDs on BBS way before even EQ1 came out and played every single big release since then. I have seen many big games fail and a lot was development team not listening to there subscribers and just making the game THEY want. And a lot was because publishers pushed the game out way to early..

The level of lies here is hilarious. You've beta tested on-site, and you're going to act like the games you've tested have been released with every single feature imaginable? I call bs sir.

WoW released with a fraction of the features you're deeming "must have", yet they did alright. A lot of people playing these games years later don't realize the state they actually released in. I don't believe for a minute that you've been gaming since before EQ1, but whatever you think will help validate your opinions as a vocal minority.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

I'd have to say I think the game should implement many of these. I'm in no way opposed to paying a sub to make that happen.

I think the game could use more dev time and I think the game should have launched with some of these items already completed even if it meant waiting but that's just not how things work anymore. It's sad but true.

I'll enjoy my first couple months I'm sure and if they don't show any attempt to make interments in areas where the players want I'll un-sub, simple as that. I'll let a company show me what it's worth once before I never go back and this is BW's first MMO. LA doesn't want another SWG on it's hands either and neither does BW.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

Well...one of the most negative things I have read, and it is all opinionated.  The writer took a wrong approach to writing this article, and is very controversial because of it.  The tone in his writing does not express "This is my opinion of TOR, and some things TOR can improve on," rather the tone expresses "The Old Republic sucks, and here are my gripes."  This seems to be a common mistake among negative Nancy posters.  A lot of people do not realize that the later of those two examples can be considered trolling.  

Edit: Sorry I did not add this the first time around. After posting, I realized my post was missing an essential piece of information.  I do like this article. It is negative, but more in a critical way. Opinionated as far as points to be made for improvements.  This is not a true example of a troll post.  This post actually lays out some good suggestions no matter who the reader is, I believe. I still think he/she could have taken a different approach to writing this, but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that I did NOT want to call this a bad write-up. :) I actually like it...which, this opinion was poorly expressed in my original post, because I am a very poor writer.

Argh

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    They need a competitive PvP system of some sort, otherwise they'll lose a ton of players shortly after they hit Valor rank 60.

Originally posted by karan

You might wonder why suggesting recustomization to that extend?

Msotly because, due to the V.O., the story and the amount of shared content between classes on the same faction, and the amount of time you're going to stare at your character in cut scene, you might really become bored of a specific character look but still wanting to play the same class and lacking the will to reroll.

Now about player housing, as much as I like SWG non instanced exteriors, it's too much of a trouble to have it in MMO without ending with messy player cities or ghost towns. And you don't want to remove players from the main social hubs. Allowing player cities would make the world feel less populated as dividing the population in as much as there are player cities.

Finally if you do add non instanced player houses in NPC cities you would always lack enough spots on the most populated servers. Now say you have big enough zones to prevent this, then on the least populated clusters players would feel lost in these too big cities. Finally another issue would be all the players wanting the neat spots, while with instanced interiors you don't have this issue either.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Thoughts, anyone?

Agree with the Ui -They said they will be adding features and customibility through out after launch.

Character customabilty - this probably won;t happen due to the affect on cutscenes and how face expressions and camera angles work.

Short term, they also mentioned they are working on implementing all those items soon after launch.

UI mods, they are still deabting and ahven't ruled it out.  But I really dont want them.  I rather let them implement their own mods.

World pvp  is already in there in the form of a whole planet, designated areas on other plantes, and pvp servers, not sure why you put this in there.

Gear  mods and appearance tabs.  You already have the "match chest peice" so pick the chest peice you want and the rest of you will coordinate.  Appearance is not really needed due to SWTOR's mod system. Pick the look you want and mods the items.

3d space shooter - would be nice, very hard to implement, but they annunced they are looking to do tons more with space combat including possible pvp.

swimming -meh, i dont really care

day/night cycles - wont happen.  its basically one of those things they decided against and rather went with the overall planet theme.  again with this - meh -dont really care especially the hours achange and sometimes weather depending on what par tof the plaent you are on.

NPCs movement - agree hopefully they will work on this.  But really other then "critters" in some other games how much to npcs move?  Not very much.

Originally posted by jerlot65

Thoughts, anyone?

Agree with the Ui -They said they will be adding features and customibility through out after launch.

Character customabilty - this probably won;t happen due to the affect on cutscenes and how face expressions and camera angles work.

Short term, they also mentioned they are working on implementing all those items soon after launch.

UI mods, they are still deabting and ahven't ruled it out.  But I really dont want them.  I rather let them implement their own mods.

World pvp  is already in there in the form of a whole planet, designated areas on other plantes, and pvp servers, not sure why you put this in there.

There's no world Pvp at low level, that was the point

Gear  mods and appearance tabs.  You already have the "match chest peice" so pick the chest peice you want and the rest of you will coordinate.  Appearance is not really needed due to SWTOR's mod system. Pick the look you want and mods the items.

Match chest piece is, for now removed from the build. Might not make the launch. We have none official statement at this.

3d space shooter - would be nice, very hard to implement, but they annunced they are looking to do tons more with space combat including possible pvp.

swimming -meh, i dont really care

day/night cycles - wont happen.  its basically one of those things they decided against and rather went with the overall planet theme.  again with this - meh -dont really care especially the hours achange and sometimes weather depending on what par tof the plaent you are on.

NPCs movement - agree hopefully they will work on this.  But really other then "critters" in some other games how much to npcs move?  Not very much.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

actually in rift npcs move a good amount in the cities. Well the non quest givers that is. I'm fine and very used to the quest givers for the most part being static but for everything else to be statues or just emote the same thing over and over really bothers me. May not bother a lot of people but ot me its just lazyness on the part of the development team. It doesn't take much to program a couple of scripts for npcs so they either follow a movement pattern or have several emotes so they aren't doing the same thing over and over. Same could be said for most of the creatures out there and the little packs of npcs you go out and kill. At least in rift you will see wolfs wandering very large distances and hunting down rabbits, again maybe not important to you but to me it is in helping the world feel more alive.

actually in rift npcs move a good amount in the cities. Well the non quest givers that is. I'm fine and very used to the quest givers for the most part being static but for everything else to be statues or just emote the same thing over and over really bothers me. May not bother a lot of people but ot me its just lazyness on the part of the development team. It doesn't take much to program a couple of scripts for npcs so they either follow a movement pattern or have several emotes so they aren't doing the same thing over and over. Same could be said for most of the creatures out there and the little packs of npcs you go out and kill. At least in rift you will see wolfs wandering very large distances and hunting down rabbits, again maybe not important to you but to me it is in helping the world feel more alive.

Somehow you could wonder whether not having NPC AI is "lazyness" or on purpose as this way not eating cluster CPU cycles.

Actually I'm back to LotRo and since I played TOR I now notice much more how great the world is made and finely tuned in that game. If you pay attention then you'll realise how far the game developers whent to make the world feel alive and realistic.

Finally, one can hope the devs will, sooner than later add, at least, movement scripts to the NPCs.

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Too much of a wall of text to read.

Originally posted by Hamrtime

Too much of a wall of text to read.

Then just read the bullet points ;)

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

sig test :)

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Somehow you could wonder whether not having NPC AI is "lazyness" or on purpose as this way not eating cluster CPU cycles.

Actually I'm back to LotRo and since I played TOR I now notice much more how great the world is made and finely tuned in that game. If you pay attention then you'll realise how far the game developers whent to make the world feel alive and realistic.

Finally, one can hope the devs will, sooner than later add, at least, movement scripts to the NPCs.

Yah, was pondering Turbine (art/world/graphics)+BW(story/content)= best (themepark) MMO :)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

They have no world pvp at low levels meanng before u go to balmoraa , tatooine for a reason. They are smart enough to realize players need a few levels before getting ganked.

The jack wagons who like to go to starter areas and gank level 1s exist and by getting rid of this ability they are just protectiing players from those people

They exist in every game those players that wont pvp till max level then at max level go around ganking every lowbie they can find and camp them for fun of it.

This is a great thing to do in my opinion limit ganking to after a level 20 and u dont lose so many players to the jackwagons.

Originally posted by kalinis

They have no world pvp at low levels meanng before u go to balmoraa , tatooine for a reason. They are smart enough to realize players need a few levels before getting ganked.

The jack wagons who like to go to starter areas and gank level 1s exist and by getting rid of this ability they are just protectiing players from those people

They exist in every game those players that wont pvp till max level then at max level go around ganking every lowbie they can find and camp them for fun of it.

This is a great thing to do in my opinion limit ganking to after a level 20 and u dont lose so many players to the jackwagons.

Being ganked even only from level 20 to top level is also annoying. 

You can avoid ganking at any levels without removing the ability to PvP from start.