Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most people have not even seen the new build

I have, I also have the computer to "crank it up" and on my screen SWTOR looks as good or better than Age of Conan.

[Mod Edit]

I also know the build I play as a very seasoned beta tester is not the build that will go gold. So for those of you trying the graphics arguement, hate your computers because Bioware brought the graphics if you can run them. 

Sorry, hyperbole is how humans comunicate nowadays.

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

So what's the difference with previous builds? Graphics wise?

• RadioMaryjaRadioMaryja Member UncommonPosts: 123

we will know that soon enough :)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Anyone who thinks the graphics in a beta are different then during the release are only fooling themselves. The only thing a developer might be able to do is temporarily disable some graphic setting. The textures in beta are the textures in release. There is no magic wand passed over the code base just before the release of a product.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

LOL.. even though i will be there at launch and have two coll. ed for me and wife ready . the graphics are nothing like aoc. they are better then WoW but carry the same cartoon look , just better  ( though that should be a given since wow is so old.

now the graphics are good and most will deal with the cartoon look for it is starwars. but pls don't campare the graphics to other high graphic games. this game was made to play on most systems unlike aoc that is hard on most systems.

so lets stop the silly mine is better then yours and enjoy the fact we have a new mmo coming soon.. happy happy happy =)

• IggepIggep Member Posts: 2

I don't understand why so many people focus on graphics in MMOs.  Obviously I think there is a lower limit of graphical presentation I think MMOs should offer in todays market, but outside of that I could really care less.  I'm much more interested in the game itself than what it looks like.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I have doubts my friend, serious doubts.  Calling BS on this one.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Iggep

I don't understand why so many people focus on graphics in MMOs.  Obviously I think there is a lower limit of graphical presentation I think MMOs should offer in todays market, but outside of that I could really care less.  I'm much more interested in the game itself than what it looks like.

PC gamers upgrade there computers for a reason.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I also find this claim highly doubtful..

If there is one thing that Aoc isnt lacking,its graphics..

and TOR cannot compare.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Do people automatically assume the game doesn't have great graphics because of the cartoon style?

What about the details? If you look at the characters faces you'll see detail that is rare in any MMO. Certainly better than most, if not AoC, although admittedly its been a while since ive seen AoC's graphics.

• IggepIggep Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Iggep

PC gamers upgrade there computers for a reason.

I realize that (http://www.iggepsrealm.com/2011/11/hardware-manufacturers-and-gaming-industry-in-cahoots/).  But still doesn't answer the question.

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Do people automatically assume the game doesn't have great graphics because of the cartoon style?

What about the details? If you look at the characters faces you'll see detail that is rare in any MMO. Certainly better than most, if not AoC, although admittedly its been a while since ive seen AoC's graphics.

No I don't automatically assume its bad just because its in a cartoon art style.  The bottom line is Tor has piss poor animations & detail for a 2011 game.

.IMO ic.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAaoFQfV55k&feature=related

this is one thing severly lacking for swtor you see how everything feels alive just looking around. Nothing like that in swtor

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Im interested to here HOW they could all of a sudden "up" the graphical quality from just-better-than-WoW to better than AoC.

Unless you're not telling the truth, which seems to be more likely. :

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• sanedorsanedor Member Posts: 485

Originally posted by sanosukex

this is one thing severly lacking for swtor you see how everything feels alive just looking around. Nothing like that in swtor

That video says it all, i wish SWTOR was set in a world like that.. dang.. what a game it would have been .. but we take what we can and we got tooney so that is what i will play until the next is out ..

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

As I'm in the final beta round the graphics are good when cranked up but I have still seen better out there in other mmos

But remember guys that graphics is nothing if the gameplay is crap

And if gameplay and graphics are bad, what then?

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

No I don't automatically assume its bad just because its in a cartoon art style.  The bottom line is Tor has piss poor animations & detail for a 2011 game.

.IMO ic.

That's the tough thing about these kinds of threads... they are completely devoid of any facts.  Everything related to graphics and animations is, quite frankly, opinion.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I think the graphics are awesome (though I like the look of games like Team Fortress 2, etc.) and the animations are superb - watching a jedi/sith leap through the air to their target is awesome, all of the spinning lightsaber attacks are cool, heck even watching a smuggler or imperial agent lunge and roll into cover is pretty cool.  I've never played another MMO with animations like that... 

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Then the game will most likely fail.  What's your point?  Are you saying that the gameplay and graphics are bad?  Your opinion. I loved both.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by sanedor

Originally posted by sanosukex

That video says it all, i wish SWTOR was set in a world like that.. dang.. what a game it would have been .. but we take what we can and we got tooney so that is what i will play until the next is out ..

Yeah then we can start complaining about small zone sizes.  Oh and lets not forget all the lag when more then a handful of people get on screen.  Sorry but graphics of that type have a price associated with them, that most people aren't willing to pay. If I have to choose between having more people in an area and on screen.  Versus having photo realistic graphics.  I'll choose the more people everytime.

Why would you want to design your game around limiting the amount of people that can play it.  AOC is a very beautiful game, but it came with a price.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Most games would fail, but not Star Wars

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

There is no such thing as a "magic bullet" patch for any game yet, & this didn't break that trend.

AoC has higher quality graphics by quite some measure, however where SWTOR does score points is in the gesticulating of the characters, particularly in the cut-scenes, however as far as the facial animations go a whole lot of them are "clunky" insofar as they are not really matching a relevant emotion in the dialogue, uncanny valley gets real strong at times with them.

Also it's hillarious how some short sentences are spoken at great length & long sentences become just a few words, Alien languages are not following any kind of real linguistic logic that I can discern, it's clumsy & creates a disconnect, though that's going off topic.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Currently in game..  getting better performance.. have everything maxed out (eventhough the only preset available is the "low" preset).

Graphically I think its looking worse than some prior builds...  shadows seem very blocky...  it looks like the high rez textures still aren't working properly on a lot of the terrain. 

PCs look good though....  but I noticed a number of strange bugs when putting tattoos on the mirialan females.... it also changes their complexion, even if the complexion slider is locked.  Strange.....  went ahead and bugged it.

Anyways... it looks better than a lot of games currently out there,  and one of the best around for MMORPGs.  Not really stellar in comparison to some other single player titles though.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

The difference between "bad" and "not great" is a matter of personal preference.  Change the question to "if gameplay and graphics are not great, what then?" and in the case of BioWare games, "what then" tends to be consistently high critical reviews, and a large amount of commercial success.  Expecting a BioWare game to fail just because it lacks cutting edge graphics or innovative gameplay requires you to ignore industry history.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

The simple fact is that most people want good gameplay and good graphics.  Most people will settle for less than state of the art graphics if the gameplay is great.  However, most people will not settle for less if the gameplay isn't good.  Bottom line is that Gameplay is the #1 deciding factor and graphics #2.  So you put them on a graph say 1 - 10 good to worst on both axis, and you could come up with method of determining where that line is for the sampled population.  That would actually be interesting.  I'll have to think about it.

I self identify as a monkey.