Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new mount video, Asian style art, and the Western MMO gamer.

13»

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by jonrd463

@ArcheAge (the poster) WHAT GAME IS THAT!?!!? Seriously, I don't care if it's made in Madagascar by a troupe of trained lemurs, that thing looks gorgeous!

Are you casting aspersions at the MMO making skill of the average Madagascarian Lemur? Because if you are that is just blatant racism that is. Or at least speciesism. I've lost track of how many broken hearted Madagascarian Lemurs I've seen boo hooing into their beer because their hopes of one day creating the perfect MMO have been dashed by companies that refuse to take them seriously and just won't hire them. All due to heartless speciesist bastards like yourself!!

ONLY JOKING!!

I'm not sure what Archage is going to be like once its done, but I for one am heartend to see an MMO company trying to push the envelope in such a grand way.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by kantseeme

Originally posted by stayontarget
    The Chinese are very well known to make knockoff's of western products,  especially on the hardware side of things http://www.ranker.com/list/the-most-shameless-video-game-console-knockoffs/benjamin-dunn .  Does the mount look like jar-jar ?  yes it does and i'm not really suprised.    Even with that aside the animations look very good, if i ever do play the game i probably would not use that mount.  I prefer more traditional mounts like war horses.
    What makes your think that Playstations and Nintendos were "western"?

I don't.  I was just showing an example of how Chinese knock-off products.  For more examples just google "Chinese apple knock-off stores"

You know, if you're going to rip something off, an entire chain of stores is a pretty awesome way to do it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I kind of like the mount.  If AA wants to have some weird mounts that I dont have in 1/2 the mmos on the list here then more power to them.  Why would you want a company to have more of the same?  

Besides, its likely that you wont even have to use that mount if you dont want.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by marinrider

I kind of like the mount.  If AA wants to have some weird mounts that I dont have in 1/2 the mmos on the list here then more power to them.  Why would you want a company to have more of the same?  

your never know it could be a type of racial mount. there will be 10 races to choose from. then again this mount could be a faction based mount. in any case im happy to see something new in the form of mounts. not just the same war horse with 20 different skins.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

your never know it could be a type of racial mount. there will be 10 races to choose from. then again this mount could be a faction based mount. in any case im happy to see something new in the form of mounts. not just the same war horse with 20 different skins.

10 races? I've only seen 3.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Xzen

Count by yourself.
    8 races total. Some VERY unique ones too.

Originally posted by RainBringer

Secondly, dont know if you were so busy copy pasting images without even knowing / realizing that this game is Dark and Light, ie the biggest public failure of a MMO in the history of MMOs. How big a failure you ask? Big enough that the developers got sued for stealing software and they lost on the defense and had to pay damages. They tried to cover their ass and brought charges on that plaintiff and lost even that suit.
    These guys are THAT big of a failure. And you want to use them as an example of how stellar chinese games are? Hilarious.

I don't know whether you are trolling or not but I'll bite.

First of all:

1. ITS NOT THAT DARK AND LIGHT
    2. The original dark and light was NOt developed by chinese people and had good ideas but AWFUL developers
    3. Chinese developer team bassically bought a license for the title and the ideas themselves and are redoing the game from ground up how it was meant to be.
    4. The only ONLY things this Dark and light shares with dark and light that died are THE IDEAS THEMSELVES. its developed from ZERO completely anew and the company is adding their own ideas too.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Yuui

Count by yourself.

Yup. I saw this on their sight and got 8 from the pic. Wasn't sure if that ment anything but also found some info that a 4th race will be available for CBT4.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Yuui

Count by yourself.

Yup. I saw this on their sight and got 8 from the pic. Wasn't sure if that ment anything but also found some info that a 4th race will be available for CBT4.

Yes, there are total of 8 races.
    4 races spawn(of course thats not to say they will STAY there, considering races can change allegiance and the "starter" two nations, one per continent, can split into many smaller ones) on one continent, 4 on other (notice how four races are grouped on the "brown-ish" middle-east scenery in that pic and four near medieval blue-ish scenery?)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

from what i understand theres 10. some necro dark type and some faire type are on the way i could be mistaken. but i read somewhere there were goin to be 10

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I see 9 in the pic, so I imagine 10 is an even number and about right.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

i hate the term western gamer, you assume we are all the same.

Originally posted by Biggus99

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Well i hate asian style toons and worlds...so yeah those kind of mounts look silly, i dont identify miself at all with asian mmorpgs...

Do you know how pathetic you sound? why are you even following AA if you are so put off by anything Asian. AA dose not need the US to be a hit as a matter of fact name me any western mmos that are being made that even come close to what AA is offering. You can't..

Defensive much?  She was responding to the question asked in the OP, which is how do we feel about the Asian/anime art style in mmorpgs.  She stated she doesn't like it, and you go into a rant about how successful AA is going to be because of all it offers.  Try staying on topic, please.  

Anyway, back to the actual topic of the thread:  I am definitely NOT a fan of the Asian/anime art style that Eastern MMOs have.  There seems to be this unhealthy obsession with scantily clad, big-breasted teenage girls, cutesy furry animal races, and tails...always with the freakin' tails...even on humanoid races.  I also can't stand the overly ginormous weapons that they tote around.  The combat animations also generally annoy me, as I always feel like I am watching myself play a match of Street Fighter instead of an actual MMO.  I realize there won't be a ton of realism with any fantasy MMO combat, but c'mon...some of the animations are flat out ridiculous.  A spinning pirrouette and triple Lutz half -gainer just to swing your sword?  

Eh...that being said, the Asian art influence in Archeage doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as many Asian MMOs that I've seen.  The character models still have freakin' tails...grrrrr....but the overall look of the game isn't too crazy.  The Jar Jar mount looks absolutely idiotic, but it's certainly not going to be a deal breaker for me.  Just gimme a damn horse and I'm happy.  And the actual game world is stunningly beautiful.  I'm keeping an eye on this game, hoping against hope that it won't be your typical Asian grindfest with convoluted systems and minigames, ridiculous combat, and overall shallow gameplay.  Fingers crossed.

That's funny coming from a guy who plays wow which has playable cows, pandas and wolves.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

The term "western gamer" does not assume we all are the same.  It assumes that most of us have the same general intrests, and its true.

If it wasnt mostly true then the term wouldnt be used.

Originally posted by Xthos

I see 9 in the pic, so I imagine 10 is an even number and about right.

I only see 8, where is the 9th.

The term "western gamer" does not assume we all are the same.  It assumes that most of us have the same general intrests, and its true.

That's a very American way of looking at it, i don't share your belief though.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Just because the term is used does not make it true and just because some are more vocal does not make them the majority either.Please show me the poll where every "western gamer" was polled and has shown your "assumption" to be fact.Otherwise it is just an assumption that "fits" the way you want to think and not what is reality.

Originally posted by Asheram

Just because the term is used does not make it true and just because some are more vocal does not make them the majority either.Please show me the poll where every "western gamer" was polled and has shown your "assumption" to be fact.Otherwise it is just an assumption that "fits" the way you want to think and not what is reality.

Okay, well then lets look at games, their styles, and their popularity in the perspective markets.

Aion.  Eastern game, doing terribly in the west yet amazing in the east.

Therfore it doesnt appeal to gamers in the west, or western gamers.

Lineage 2 is exactly the same.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Asheram

Okay, well then lets look at games, their styles, and their popularity in the perspective markets.

Aion.  Eastern game, doing terribly in the west yet amazing in the east.

Therfore it doesnt appeal to gamers in the west, or western gamers.

Lineage 2 is exactly the same.

Lol so 2 games are the deciding factor that supports your "everyone in the west likes what I like and hates what I hate" theory ok whatever floats your boat.Please list your taste in music,movies and other entertainment as well so I can make sure I fit into "your" western mold as well.

P.S. Also I dont think it is the "artstyle' that is the reason the 2 games you mentioned are not doing as well in the west either.

I don't realy get an "Eastern" impression when looking at the character models. In regards to the yata mount I think earlier in the thread some one even compared it to Jar Jar Binx which was a character designed and created by and for a western audience?

P.S. This Western vs Eastern stuff is moot. We could easily use a game like WoW to show that Westerners and Easterners pretty much like the same things.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

I don't realy get an "Eastern" impression when looking at the character models.   <....>   

Are you kidding.. The whole game screams at you "i'm asian". The characters, their clothing, the way they run, the ground, everything...

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I don't realy get an "Eastern" impression when looking at the character models.   <....>   

Are you kidding.. The whole game screams at you "i'm asian". The characters, their clothing, the way they run, the ground, everything...

It all looks pretty normal western style to me. You should probably look at Blade and Soul and TERA and get a basis for comparison. From watching the vids the character animations all look pretty standard fare. Similar to WoW and Rift.

Originally posted by EverSkelly

It all looks pretty normal western style to me. You should probably look at Blade and Soul and TERA and get a basis for comparison. From watching the vids the character animations all look pretty standard fare. Similar to WoW and Rift.

you cant reason with people that have one and only one way of looking at something. theyll never hear your side or even attempt to see someone elses view point because they just dont give a shit. if this guy thinks that AA screams "IM ASIAN" then thats his opinoin... its wrong but its still his opinion. sure it has some asian flair. what game doesent? Kojan in Vanguard ring a bell for anyone? or how bout we get current with wows new kung fu panda race? these asshats are goin to continue to think and belive what they want. no use trying to get them to see other wise. in fact id prefer them to think that way. keeps them from buying the game and keeps me from having to deal with them in game.