Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game performance on modern PC?

ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

I played GoD a little last night on my new PC and was shocked by the poor frame rates. They barely improved since the last time I played and that was on a single core cpu, 2gb of ddr2 ram and some crap gpu I forgot the reference to.

Now I have an i7 950 (quad core at 3.02ghz), 12gb ddr 3 ram, HD 6870 gpu, corsair 750w PU etc... and still the same low performance.

How does it run for the rest of you?

Comments

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157

Well you have to change a few options:

1. Turning off shadows in populated areas effects your FPS dramatically.

2. Also turn off HDR rendering/Improved shader stuff

3. Set view distance to average on all options

That should already improve it a lot without making it ugly.

Keep in mind you were probably in a very populated area... if you go out to a spot with just a few people you can easily get a high fps even with everything turned on.

And L2 is a cpu intensive game, try overclocking your CPU for maximizing performance. Changing your GPU will not do anything for this game. Buying an SSD is also good for this game because it will make people load faster so you will have less lag when you turn your window and teleport to a spot. 

Turning off shadows/hdr/extra shader options I can play pretty smooth in the starting areas.

My specs:

i7 2600k @ 4,8 GHZ

6950 GPU

8 GB ram

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Yes I have a pretty nice new computer. I ran the game last night with everything maxed. I never had an iissue. Check to make sure your drivers are updated. GL.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Charas

I played GoD a little last night on my new PC and was shocked by the poor frame rates. They barely improved since the last time I played and that was on a single core cpu, 2gb of ddr2 ram and some crap gpu I forgot the reference to.

Now I have an i7 950 (quad core at 3.02ghz), 12gb ddr 3 ram, HD 6870 gpu, corsair 750w PU etc... and still the same low performance.

How does it run for the rest of you?

Runs fine on my Dell D800 laptop - Intel Mobility 1600Mhz, 1.5Gb and nVidia FX700/128Mb (lowest details of course :p)

On my main PC it runs like a glance on maxed settings - AMD X3 420 @2700Mhz, 4Gb GTX460SC/768Mb (2 boxes max though - client has a memory leak I think)

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Just an fyi, Alt + P will put you in "low resolution mode" which is good for when your in a town with hundreds of people on your screen.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Thanks for the feedback, folks. My OP was a little silly cause when I said that the framerates hadn't improved on my new PC, I failed to mention I was now running the game at max resolution with all options cranked up except for shadows and hdr... Of course with equal settings, the new machine completely pwns the old one.

Still I was hoping that I'd be able to run this 7 year old beauty at max settings. I'm not too comfortable with OCing my CPU cause this is also my work computer and I've never messed around with CPU clocks before, so I'll just leave it like that for now and maybe upgrade my CPU somewhere down the road.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I noticed that before GoD (as in literally the night before the patch), the framerate was fairly consistant with other MMOs  I have played (not completely smooth, but smooth enough).  But now, framerate has just gone down the crapper.  What happened?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?