Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would make you resub to this game? (Poll)

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Aion sold over a million boxes in the West so it, as a concept, obviously appeals to people here. Just as obviously though most of them have stopped playing... but, if you have the game but have stopped, what would bring you back?

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Why no option "nothing will make me resub to this game"?.

Really this is not supposed to be trolling.

Well for me this what killed this game is their ridiculous approach to Lore /immersion. All those modern things liek jeans, etc

Well I know that this game's lore was not supposed to be take very seriously from the start, but well this not serious approach it just not my thing. Everyone have their own things that float their boat isn't it ? :)

Their recent advantage item they put temporaly in the store also had some kind of significance, cause now I would be afraid that they would put more things like that in future / maybe permanently and I am not going to invest my time and money just to have game this game brining more advantage items / changing to freemium model in predictiable future.

So unfortunatelly not gonna go there. GW2 & ArcheAge are enough for me. Not playing any mmorpg at the moment and while I would like to play some mmorpg, when I play an mmorpg I usually spend quite a bit of time and effort playing it, so I am looking for product that will fulfill my expectations more, even if that means I am not gonna to play an mmorpg anytime soon :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by fenistil

Because the question wasn't that.

The question was what WOULD.

If your in a place that nothing would I understand that, but this thread isn't for you. No offence intended.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by vesavius

If your in a place that nothing would I understand that, but this thread isn't for you. No offence intended.

None taken.

Now that I read that it makes sense. Sorry. Guess I need bit more coffeine this morning :)

Hope you'll have good number of voters to have some interesting results. I am bit interested myself as I was bit surprised that Aion did not have bit better results in NA / EU market.

None taken.

Now that I read that it makes sense. Sorry. Guess I need bit more coffeine this morning :)

Hope you'll have good number of voters to have some interesting results. I am bit interested myself as I was bit surprised that Aion did not have bit better results in NA / EU market.

hehe nps.

Well, I guess the concept was strong enough for the West, and the promise of PvP and the Asian style didn't stop it being a huge seller, so I can only put it down to other factors, most of which seem to have been fixed now. The biggest ongoing problem seems to be the still harsh RNG element, but I was wondering if that was true and what else stood in people's way of restarting with, say, 3.0.

Obviously Aion will never again have the player base it had at launch with other huge titles releasing soon, but it could see a revival under the right circumtances that see it grow again here in the West.

I wonder if they will take the same route as they have with Lineage 2 if that proves to be a success under F2P.

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

My rules for joining any MMO are the following (in this order):

1. F2P - Not because I can't or I'm not willing to P2P, but because most games fall short on delivering interesting substantial content past the beginning levels; I like to take my time and decide if a game is really worth investing in or not.

2. AT LEAST 1 PVE ONLY SERVER - I hate griefers/gankers and idiots. I like to be able to level up and quest in peace and pick up a fight only if and when I feel like. I don't mind consented PvP, like Server/Nation/Faction/Guild wars, Arenas or Duels, but I hate forced PvP - and I really hate the games that have set quests in PvP zones thus forbidding you from advancing because a high lvl scmuck decided to camp that spot 24h/day (like RF).

3. ADJUSTABLE STAT POINTS AND AOE SKILLS - I prefer to allocate the character points myself, as opposed to a set build. That's what makes the difference between players and can help more than uber gear if played right. On the other hand I hate killing mobs one by one - especially if the game has prohibitive prices for in game HP/SP pots; and preferably no cooldown for PvE pots.

4. LAST, BUT NOT LEAST: MEANINGFUL INTERTWINED CONTENT - I like the games with intelligent content; I'd like to see a real reason/meaning behind all the possible in game activities, and not just something to do when you get bored of levelling/questing/PvPing (I loved Runescape for that aspect - nothing was random and eventually things were getting linked together for more complex results). Further more, I like when the main story line is fully implemented in the game content and not just some quest texts with no real connection to what's really going on in that game.

There are a lot of games runing atm. Sadly many will be closed in the forthcoming months/years because of poor management and slow reactions to the current dynamics of the MMO market. A smart company will cater to all (or close to it) the player needs, because now ppl have a lot of options and are not bound to 1-2 games anymore, so it's difficult to catch their interest for extended periods of time - especially if you're just limiting yourself to cloning another successful MMO (and suck at it). So better wise up, see what business formats & preferences are popular and go with the flow. Fail to do so, and expect to close the game shortly. Patience is a rare thing these days...

Originally posted by dragulea

My rules for joining any MMO are the following (in this order):

/snipped to keep the quote short

A fine set of criteria, but we are really talking about Aion. Did you buy the game? If so, assuming that you liked the concept and what it seemed to offer based on the fact that you forked out for the client, what would make you go back?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It s a great game that i ll revisit one day. That said I love the idea of the sieges etc, but hated getting mowed down by chars so much higher then me. Other then that I really liked the game.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

if it went F2P i'd definitely check it out

Originally posted by Leucent

It s a great game that i ll revisit one day. That said I love the idea of the sieges etc, but hated getting mowed down by chars so much higher then me. Other then that I really liked the game.

I pretty much agree, and this is a reason I probably won't go back in the near future.

It's nothing a fresh server (pref a PvE one with PvP in the Abyss and instances) wouldnt cure though.

I wish they would just try the idea out... It would cost them nothing and could well bring back ten of thouands of players, especially with the otherwise generally excellent shape of the game right now.

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

A fine set of criteria, but we are really talking about Aion. Did you buy the game? If so, assuming that you liked the concept and what it seemed to offer based on the fact that you forked out for the client, what would make you go back?

I kept myself well informed about the game up until finding out it would be P2P - at that point I lost the interest (due to the previously posted criteria). Let me make myself clear (again): I refuse to pay in advance for a game, and a monthly fee on top. I wouldn't be happy even with just paying for the game and playing for free afterwards - because there's no guarantee I'll like the game that much. When I do, I usually spend big, but never before fully testing it (which usually means reaching a decent level and knowing the game content in and out). Money down the drain is money down the drain, no matter the ammount - and a game I'm not liking nor playing is just that.

The key to keeping a game alive is not bringing old players back, but attracting a new crowd. Usually there's too much history between the ones that decided to stop playing and the devs & publishers to ignite the old spark again, while new players see the game through the eyes of a beginner that marvels at every corner.

IMO going fully F2P is the way to go - no wonder some veteran games decided to make the switch after years of P2P.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

said it before and i,ll say it again..a  game has beautiful as this deserves a couple of pve servers..i would sub in a heartbeat..i dont like having pvp rammed in my face.

Originally posted by dragulea

I kept myself well informed about the game up until finding out it would be P2P - at that point I lost the interest (due to the previously posted criteria). Let me make myself clear (again): /snip

Y'know... I stopped reading there. What you said was understood perfectly well, the thread just didn't end at your turn on the soapbox. No need to get snarky.

Nonetheless, that aside, the thread was asking people that had actually bought the game what would make them resub to it, because the whole question is based on the assumption that the game did appeal to them enough at some point enough to buy the box.

You didn't and so your not really being asked.

Thanks anyhow for your input.

Originally posted by kevjards

said it before and i,ll say it again..a  game has beautiful as this deserves a couple of pve servers..i would sub in a heartbeat..i dont like having pvp rammed in my face.

That seems to be a common feeling in the people I have talked to... that and the brutal RNG.

Such a shame when both are so easily fixed.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

I enjoyed playing in beta, but it wasn't attractive enough to get my money and full time involvement. If it was available as f2p where I could visit occasionally for a change of pace and ocasionally buy some enhancement, then I'd play it. I feel the same way about SWTOR, which I've also been in beta for.

I'm currently spending most of my time in LOTRO with periodic play in other games. I bought the RoI expansion for the new features but don't pay a monthly sub.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

nothing.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

Originally posted by DexterMMO

nothing.

Then you did buy the client originally?

So it must have appealed to you initially? I assume you must have liked something about it to spend money on it.

What broke it for you? What soured you to it to the point of 'nothing'? What could be fixed to make it appeal to you once more?

(Not wanting to resub ever is fine, I am just looking for some meaningful feedback)

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

I came back after a one year break and here i am cancelling swtor preorder. I came back to check balaurea expansion and i am amazed by the amount of content Aion now has. I login every night and i have so many things to do,  dredgion, organisation dailies, CC solo, Miragent quest, Abyss sieges, gathering, crafting,  Taloc's solo instance, arena, some group instances(mostly udas and TL). Im now lvl53 and im gonna stay in aion for good.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I still play it

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Only way i would play AION again is if they go FTP.

Servers beeing so unbalanced between factions is a major turn off though.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The game needs to have what DAOC has.Battle grounds....limited to characters withing a certain level range..as well of course as the max level areas. That would be the single most important thing they could do (from an outsider who left because of  the abysmal rvr at launch)

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I actually loved this game with exception to the way Open world PvP was done.  As long as players can lvl down to get geared up in relic gear to hunt players who stand no chance of winning, the game will not be inviting to players who want to have an option to PvE or PvP.

The fact that the Devs didn't just advocate it but made jokes about it, further enforced my need to not play.

I had convinced others to come with me to that game and they have all left as well. Many of whom, I ended up reimbursing for the cost of the box  as a means of apology for wasting their time and money. So, not only have I purchased this game, I've purchased it six times over.

I'd go back though, subscritpion would need to be reduced or removed at this point and the server would need to be PvE with PvP relegated to the Abyss, their new arenas, or flagging only option for open world.

Originally posted by Zzad

Only way i would play AION again is if they go FTP.

Servers beeing so unbalanced between factions is a major turn off though.

Oh, that actually would have made a good addition to the poll... more effective balance.

No slots left I don't think tho :(

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Akais

I actually loved this game with exception to the way Open world PvP was done.  As long as players can lvl down to get geared up in relic gear to hunt players who stand no chance of winning, the game will not be inviting to players who want to have an option to PvE or PvP.

The fact that the Devs didn't just advocate it but made jokes about it, further enforced my need to not play.

I had convinced others to come with me to that game and they have all left as well. Many of whom, I ended up reimbursing for the cost of the box  as a means of apology for wasting their time and money. So, not only have I purchased this game, I've purchased it six times over.

I'd go back though, subscritpion would need to be reduced or removed at this point and the server would need to be PvE with PvP relegated to the Abyss, their new arenas, or flagging only option for open world.

Ya, this makes sense, pve servers for new people.  But with SWTOR out this month  I think OP's question is pretty moot.  NCsoft is probably scrambling to keep their remaining NA/EU players. 

Originally posted by Cognoman

Originally posted by Akais

Ya, this makes sense, pve servers for new people.  But with SWTOR out this month  I think OP's question is pretty moot.  NCsoft is probably scrambling to keep their remaining NA/EU players. 

Your probably right, though as high as the hype of SWTOR is right now that dosen't mean ever other game hould just shut their doors right?

Anyhow, for reasons I won't discuss here because this isn't a SWTOR thread I sincerly see SWTOR as a short term threat to other games. In around 4 months we will see the flow reversing IMO.

I NSC were clever with their timing and offered PvE fresh servers with a month or whatever reactivation for vets they could have a thriving game again.

If they went F2P on top of that I think they would blow to roof of in the current market, though I personally love the sub model.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

anyone play both factions and feel that the elyos is way better?  The capitol city is always filled with people, the music is way better and the starting area is way better.