Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have the Subscribtion numbers for WOW been inflated?

In my opinion WOW has seemed a little dead since about 6 months after the release of Cataclysm. Even on the servers that are usually full, the population seems to have gone way down hill. I know WOW has a lot of subscriptions but I have been wondering what that really means. I do not believe there is any where near 10 million people paying the regular sub. fee of around $15. How many of the inflated 10 million or so are from China? Also what do the Chinese pay for their Subscriptions? I seriously doubt that subscribers in other countries (except for those in Western Europe) Pay any where near $15.  I am NOT bashing WOW, Blizzard or Activision I just think WOW is in bigger trouble then they would like to admit. It kinda seems like they have turned what use to be a really great and slightly dark Blizzard game  into Care Bear Lollypop world (With flying sparkeling ponies and KUNG FU Pandas).

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

it has always been inflated. the isolation you feel is forced by the design of the game, which has you waiting in the city on the bank for your instanced gaming session and with a truckload of people leaving it's just more obvious.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

i play across 4 servers they are all packed pretty constantly.  some servers however are pretty dead so who knows what the numbers are.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by teveritte

It kinda seems like they have turned what use to be a really great and slightly dark Blizzard game  into Care Bear Lollypop world (With flying sparkeling ponies and KUNG FU Pandas).

Theramore is about to be destroyed and that continent of pandas is about to be ravaged by alliance/horde war.  Its no less dark than it ever was.  Why do people post idiotic nonsense  like this?

And theyve never given sub numbers.  Its active players and doesnt include trials.  So when they say 10million,itmeans 10 million accounts have given Blizzard some sort of payment. Speculation is 4-5 million at peak were NA/EU

And the servers are still as full as any other game's servers.  Theres a dozen PvP servers that have been low pop for the last 4 years, everything else is populated prime time and most are fine off peak.  Theres definitely been noticeable player loss, but what MMORPG hasnt lost significant players this year outside of AoC? 

Given that its 7 years old and has obviously gone downhill since Ulduar Id sayits doing way better than could be expected.

• teveritteteveritte Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by teakbois

It kinda seems like they have turned what use to be a really great and slightly dark Blizzard game  into Care Bear Lollypop world (With flying sparkeling ponies and KUNG FU Pandas).

Theramore is about to be destroyed and that continent of pandas is about to be ravaged by alliance/horde war.  Its no less dark than it ever was.  Why do people post idiotic nonsense  like this?

And theyve never given sub numbers.  Its active players and doesnt include trials.  So when they say 10million,itmeans 10 million accounts have given Blizzard some sort of payment. Speculation is 4-5 million at peak were NA/EU

And the servers are still as full as any other game's servers.  Theres a dozen PvP servers that have been low pop for the last 4 years, everything else is populated prime time and most are fine off peak.  Theres definitely been noticeable player loss, but what MMORPG hasnt lost significant players this year outside of AoC? 

Given that its 7 years old and has obviously gone downhill since Ulduar Id sayits doing way better than could be expected.

I am not alone when I say WOW has started to look more and more like a kids game, especially with this incredibly dumb looking expansion. Anyway....... I think the VAST majority of WOW's subs probably pay very little. The game is dying and it wasn't killed by any other game it commited suicide, just like when they broke records for subs in the past they will break records for cancellations next year. In fact that is probably what the whole Myan calendar thing was about in 2012 WOW goes free to play.

I am not a WOW hater I have had an active account since the game first came out. The game has completely lost the Blizzard feel it had when it came out and I don't think I am gonna stick around for another year. I just can't take anymore of the sparkeling ponies, Gear Scores or a community that has become one of the biggest assemblies of a$$holes in history because that is about all that is left playing the game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I was reading through your post and well, all I could find is "I think this, I think that". Good stuff but I think I will not believe what you THINK is the case. 

Do you know if the Chinese pay less/more than 15 dollars a month? They pay per hour played but do you really know to how much this all adds up to?

Only Western Europe and the US pay a $15 sub? Nope, ALL of Europe pays $15 be it Western, Central or Eastern Europe.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by fivoroth

I was reading through your post and well, all I could find is "I think this, I think that". Good stuff but I think I will not believe what you THINK is the case. 

Do you know if the Chinese pay less/more than 15 dollars a month? They pay per hour played but do you really know to how much this all adds up to?

Only Western Europe and the US pay a $15 sub? Nope, ALL of Europe pays $15 be it Western, Central or Eastern Europe.

Over 6 million chinese dropped off, Bobby the man himself stated that less than 6% of WoW's revenue came from China. Thus the profit from China playing WoW is really low. 

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

How many of the inflated 10 million or so are from China?

Blizzard cannot (legally) inflate their numbers.  They give you their definition of what they consider a 'subscriber' and a number to go with that.  This is contained in a Financial report.  As they are part of a publically traded company....fudging financial reports is a VERY BAD THING.  This appears to be a difficult thing for many wowhaters to grasp.

If they really WERE fudging numbers, do you honestly think they'd be letting investors know that they lost over a million subs year to date?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

In my opinion WOW has seemed a little dead since about 6 months after the release of Cataclysm. Even on the servers that are usually full, the population seems to have gone way down hill. I know WOW has a lot of subscriptions but I have been wondering what that really means. I do not believe there is any where near 10 million people paying the regular sub. fee of around $15. How many of the inflated 10 million or so are from China? Also what do the Chinese pay for their Subscriptions? I seriously doubt that subscribers in other countries (except for those in Western Europe) Pay any where near $15.  I am NOT bashing WOW, Blizzard or Activision I just think WOW is in bigger trouble then they would like to admit. It kinda seems like they have turned what use to be a really great and slightly dark Blizzard game  into Care Bear Lollypop world (With flying sparkeling ponies and KUNG FU Pandas).

I still think the pandas stuff is all a big funny joke from blizzard and soon they will reveal the return to the good old days where wow was the best mmorpg ever made....or  they are smoking some really heavy sh#t

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Eliandal

How many of the inflated 10 million or so are from China?

Blizzard cannot (legally) inflate their numbers.  They give you their definition of what they consider a 'subscriber' and a number to go with that.  This is contained in a Financial report.  As they are part of a publically traded company....fudging financial reports is a VERY BAD THING.  This appears to be a difficult thing for many wowhaters to grasp.

If they really WERE fudging numbers, do you honestly think they'd be letting investors know that they lost over a million subs year to date?

Lol, I don't think a lot of MMO players know what a public company is :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.