Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Mirrored Classes

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by tank017

Fine...

If I was playing Bryan Fury,then yes,I'd rather be fighting someone other than myself.Does fighting a mirror image of myself get dull?

to me it does.

I'd bet:  ONLY if they keep beating you.

not really.

How often is there fights between just 2 players?

seldom

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

not really.

Jerry, is that you?  Sorry dude... Eddy Gordo can only do so much... even against Bryan Fury

• jmcgrathjmcgrath Member Posts: 23

I'd rather have 4 or 8 working, balanced classes than 32 or 50 class/spec combinations that throw the game into turmoil. There is a difference to feeling underpowered versus a mirror, but when you are actually underpowered due to faulty design, then its much worse. Especially considering the time investment you made in that character.

No, I'd rather stability with room to add in more later.

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47

I would never play a game where the classes for the two factions were identical! (*cough* WoW *cough*).

SWTOR has 8 classes - the advanced classes are different enough to stand on their own, at least for the most part. They have different themes on imp vs republic, which makes it more interesting than the identical classes of WoW - races being different is a lot less significant than the visual feel being different.

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by OgreRaper

As I had just talked about in another thread... mirrored classes and all races the same (no racial skills), is unacceptable to me. I won't buy an MMO that takes such a bland an uninteresting approach to game design.

Claiming it's done in the name of balance is a cop-out and means the devs are just lazy.

So would you rather be accepting of non-mirrored classes with a never ending cycle of balancing issues for the rest of the game's life? Including FOTM (Flavor of the month) classes power-stomping others.

Instead of trying to balance 8-16 different classes + tree specs that branch out is a lot harder to actually get accomplished. This way they only have 4 class types to balance, but still challenging with its 3 tier branch system that makes at least 24 different balancing problems they have already.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Balance is a BS issue in my opinion... I played SWG from beta on, and could have cared less for balance. The fact that we had so many skill/classes to choose from rocked. Sure you had the min/maxers out there always trying to figure out the next flavor of the month spec... but plenty of people PVPd; balance be damned.

The only true balance in an mmo, is to make it fully 100% twitch based... Then skill and only skill matters, no bitching and complaining about balance. 

not really.

Jerry, is that you?  Sorry dude... Eddy Gordo can only do so much... even against Bryan Fury

yeah...

you stick with those tekken references,Im going else where.

Fine...

If I was playing Bryan Fury,then yes,I'd rather be fighting someone other than myself.Does fighting a mirror image of myself get dull?

to me it does.

not really.

How often is there fights between just 2 players?

seldom

Very true.

So should we buff every single player when there's 2 players fighting against them?  Is that what you're saying?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by maskedweasel
    I like mirrored classes, and you pretty much said it yourself Mike,  WAR was extremely unbalanced at launch.  The PvP was a lot of fun until you started noticing these imbalances,  then it became tiresome knowing the outcome when you saw a particular class.  

Everyone seems to complain when things aren't balanced...  and then when they make mirrors so teams are perfectly balanced, now they want individuality.

This is exactly why Rift's PvP is failing right now when you read their PvP boards.

There are no mirrors, you can make your class any way you like the same way or totally different for both sides so guess what people do?

Pick the FOTM class mix decided on by Trion and run with it until the next patch. It's actually pretty sickening to see one month it's Rogue Sab/Rift/Bard and then next patch it's Mage with Dom/Pyro/Storm and then next patch it's now Rogue Marks/Rift/Beast or whatever else combos come up.

The smart ones level up two or three toon classes, then they are covered no matter what due to the soul mixing for whatever FOTM comes out in 1.7

not really.

yeah...

I hope wherever that is, it's out of gaming.  and even more, out of politics.

not really.

yeah...

I hope wherever that is, it's out of gaming.  and even more, out of politics.

Im not into politics..

but if staying in gaming conitnues to annoy you,then thats more than enough motivation for me to stay.

Im not into politics..

but if staying in gaming conitnues to annoy you,then thats more than enough motivation for me to stay.

My annoyance is more than enough motivation for you?  I'm flattered!  For the first time I say both, "sorry!", and, "good luck!".  I have an evil agenda... one that involves amusing and involving people.

Good luck with yours!.

Im not into politics..

My annoyance is more than enough motivation for you?  I'm flattered!  For the first time I say both, "sorry!", and, "good luck!".  I have an evil agenda... one that involves amusing and involving people.

Good luck with yours!.

thanks

Im not into politics..

Good luck with yours!.

thanks

Shat up both of you or I will chain throw you with KING!

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Im not into politics..

Good luck with yours!.

thanks

Shat up both of you or I will chain throw you with KING!

he was my favorite char!

Lol mine too

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

This site creates a lot of dumb and redundant arguements. People literally bitch about every MMORPG on the damn forum. All of these developers are just trying to make games that make subscribers happy, but the expectations of the people on this site have such high standards that they can't just sit-back, relax, and ejoy a game.

Argh

Originally posted by Narcin1

This site creates a lot of dumb and redundant arguements. People literally bitch about every MMORPG on the damn forum. All of these developers are just trying to make games that make subscribers happy, but the expectations of the people on this site have such high standards that they can't just sit-back, relax, and ejoy a game.

Actually I think the developers are trying to make games that will make them the most pofit.Theyre just shooting for the 'area' that they think mmo subbers are most 'happy'

this is why we have a plethora of WoW clones.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

in my opinion, this is not so bad. im playing dark side and i dont have time to play all day and night. so ill be lucky if i maybe manage to play the 4 classes of the empire to a decent level before the servers shut down :P
    so with mirrored classes, i wont miss anything gameplay wise. yes ill still miss the story - but of the light side. meh.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm still trying to figure out where all the money went in this game....

Mirrored classes are a cop out in my opinion.  It shows a complete lack of imagination.  I know....why don't we just have one class for everyone?  The utlimate balance!!!!!!

I don't care about obsolute balance, and I don't care if those who do feel the need to have a FOTM to feel special.  The day I start worrying that much about the numbers in my games, will be the day I stop gaming forever.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Balance is bad. More people will leave because a game is boring not because its unbalanced.  If Tor fails and I guess we won't know that for a 8+ months after gold, it will be because its to bland.

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

So you can only play 8 unique characters instead of 16.  Well......if leveling alts is all there is to the game I'de say that is a bigger issue than mirrored classes.  By the way, the classes in pvp will be balanced, not the players.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm still trying to figure out where all the money went in this game....

Mirrored classes are a cop out in my opinion.  It shows a complete lack of imagination.  I know....why don't we just have one class for everyone?  The utlimate balance!!!!!!

I don't care about obsolute balance, and I don't care if those who do feel the need to have a FOTM to feel special.  The day I start worrying that much about the numbers in my games, will be the day I stop gaming forever.

The money went to cut scenes and voice acting for every quest in the game I imagine. The process to enter all of that stuff into an MMO is still quite expensive at the moment and this is the first game I have seen to actually do it all of the way through. AoC did it for the first 20 levels plus a little bit before they gave up and released their game.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

This mirroed class effect has damaged the game, there are only healers and damage dealers. No class has any real CC so in a dungeon enviroment you can not control any adds and the healer can often get overwhelmed and waiting for their cooldowns to recycle before laying on another heal.

I played a Jedi Shadow in the hopes it was the CC class of the game but its just a weaker tank version of the Guardian.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

lol I want to play more and more less