Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-order numbers updated!

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by CazNeerg

is it you categorically dislike, BioWare games, or themepark MMOs?  Because the story is pretty standard for a BioWare game, and the MMO mechanics are also both fairly standard, and polished.  In my experience, almost all of the negative feeling towards the game comes from people who simply don't like the *type* of game, at all, not people who think that TOR specifically is a poorly implemented example of the type.

I think there are a fair number of people that were hoping that Bioware would advance the genre of Theme Park MMOs or at least break the WOW paradigm.  Creating a strong leveling experience is great, but most companies can't afford that.  My question is how fun the game will be once you hit the level cap.  If there was no subscription cost, I'd gladly buy the game and casually level lots of classes.

My hope for MMOs lies with GW2 simply because I think it's time to take the good things from WOW and ditch the rest.  Their paradigm might not work, but I'm ready to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Damn, some of the east coast servers during beta had 5 hr waits.  I hope EA is prepared for the 20th when 4 million people try to log in. 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I think there are a fair number of people that were hoping that Bioware would advance the genre of Theme Park MMOs or at least break the WOW paradigm.  Creating a strong leveling experience is great, but most companies can't afford that.  My question is how fun the game will be once you hit the level cap.  If there was no subscription cost, I'd gladly buy the game and casually level lots of classes.

Here is the thing though; for people who genuinely enjoy the leveling experience in TOR, the question is ultimately not going to be how fun it is once you hit the level cap with one character.  It is going to be how fun it is after you have hit the cap with two, three, four, etc. etc. characters.  That is going to take a lot of people a lot of time to do, by which point there will probably be more content.  Which isn't to say TOR lacks endgame content, it's just to point out that they have made the leveling experience fun enough, and diverse enough, to create compelling reasons to make lots of alts.  And alts in TOR, especially the first couple, will take a substantial time investment.

In my opinion, they have advanced the genre of themepark MMORPGs dramatically, by being the first game to actually make the RPG portion of the designation worth including.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Cognoman

Damn, some of the east coast servers during beta had 5 hr waits.  I hope EA is prepared for the 20th when 4 million people try to log in. 

It is going to be crazy. Bioware has to hope that the holidays will spread the load somewhat. 

Edit: 900k NA box sales should equate to at least 900k European sales (Europe is a larger market) plus most likely 600k Electronic (electronic sales are normally 30 - 40% of all sales). My predictition is around 2.4 million. This is at launch and does not include post sales which Bioware typically excels in (usually 3 post launch sales to every 1 preorder). 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think its common for MMO's these days to sell a million or so copies,especially AAA ones.

Didnt Rift sell over a million?

Im not really that surprised.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by catlana

It is going to be crazy. Bioware has to hope that the holidays will spread the load somewhat. 

They've already stated that they will definately have more servers available for launch, and part of this weekend was 'stressing' the queue system (which was thankfully greatly overstating wait times...at one point my SO had a listed 11 hour wait on Drexl - but was playing in about 45 minutes tops)

*Edited to add that Trion has NEVER publically given sales OR sub numbers for Rift.  The closest they have come is in June when they stated they were nearing 1 million units sold.  Of course, earlier in the year there was also big fanfare when they stated they had over  1 million 'active accounts' until you found out what an 'active account' actually meant :D!

Originally posted by tank017

I think its common for MMO's these days to sell a million or so copies,especially AAA ones.

This is 2 times what AoC did including post launch. AoC (which is second highest) needed post launch sales to pass a million. These are some pretty amazing numbers for NA box preorders only. Bioware will have 2.4 million or so sales before the game even launches. Couple with Bioware's strong post launch sales track record, EA should be pretty happy. The only question is will Bioware's servers be able to keep up.  

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Originally posted by sgel

Britney Spears has sold millions of albums.

This is how much numbers mean.

Yeah it means she is worth millions of albums x$19.95 more than you, lol.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Originally posted by dubyahite

Pre-order numbers from:

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php

I reckon what is most interesting in that chart, regardless of how accurate it is or not, is that Mass Effect 3 came second - in other words, Bioware is raking in money regardless, lol.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

This is 2 times what AoC did including post launch. AoC (which is second highest) needed post launch sales to pass a million. These are some pretty amazing numbers for NA box preorders only. Bioware will have 2.4 million or so sales before the game even launches. Couple with Bioware's strong post launch sales track record, EA should be pretty happy. The only question is will Bioware's servers be able to keep up.  

Im more suprised that AOC raked in that many sales..lol

especially after release when it was being lambasted

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

just shows you how far advertising can help boost sales. Have sinking feeling 100 mil of the budget for this game was on advertising....

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by azmundai

I preordered after the weekend.

Its a great game.

Its just the least MMO, MMO ive ever played. Doesnt make it a bad game .. just makes it .. not an MMO imo. Obviously my definition of an MMO is quite different from some other people's definitions. A few group oriented scraps does not an mmo make. D3 looks like more of an MMO than SWTOR .. but SWTOR is still a better game imo. Go figure.

I see this alot, if SWTOR isn't an mmo, then no themepark is.  If that's going to be the new definition of mmo then fine, I just want it used consistantly.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by sanosukex

just shows you how far advertising can help boost sales. Have sinking feeling 100 mil of the budget for this game was on advertising....

What advertising?  I've not seen hardly anything outside of a couple of banners on mmo and gaming sites.  If darkfall can afford to advertise on banners then it can't be that expensive.

People like to play with their friends (see CoD twenty million plus sales). AoC also benefited from very strong European sales. It will be interesting from a finicial point of view if Bioware can pull off their traditional post launch sales. I expect that there will some resistance from their console fans to cross over.    

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by niceguy3978

What advertising?  I've not seen hardly anything outside of a couple of banners on mmo and gaming sites.  If darkfall can afford to advertise on banners then it can't be that expensive.

I'm sure commercials and stuff will come. I remember ones for AoC popped up all over right before its launch

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I'm sure commercials and stuff will come. I remember ones for AoC popped up all over right before its launch

Advertising will most likely be post launch. Having around two and half million people hitting their servers is a huge undertaking especially since the servers are just coming on line. This does not even include circuit, router, and switch issues. Good thing there will be lots of busy peeps to try and keep the system running. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by dubyahite

This is just an absolutely huge number for a new MMO release. I would be willing to bet you can double that number for world-wide sales and possibly double it again for world-wide digital sales. That's just speculation, but we will see soon enough

Yup.

And next to all those multipliers I am damn curious about the "pre-order people v.s. launch-buyer people" ratio. Personally I am more of a launch buyer, even when I do keep a close eye on games during development.

Yes this is what makes me raise an eyebrow.  First week sales typically dwarf the preorder numbers. And if they are breaking a million off preorders.  Its gonna be a madhouse, A MADHOUSE!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Fozzik

What those numbers mean to me:

It's probably going to be a royal pain in the ass to get logged in and have a decent experience in the first week or two. And I might have to remake characters on new servers a few times. Hopefully they might allow free transfers for the first few weeks.

*shrug* I guess c'est la vie in the MMORPG genre.

Yes, that is my greatest fear as well.  Jumping servers to find a playable one.  One way they can do to combat this is while they stagger the early invites, lock full servers and add new ones as needed.   That way queues won't be insane.  Rift did that way, but they don't have the same pre-ordres that SWTOR is getting.   Which is probably double or triple of what they had back at early Rift start.

Originally posted by BarryManilow

It's probably going to be a royal pain in the ass to get logged in and have a decent experience in the first week or two. And I might have to remake characters on new servers a few times. Hopefully they might allow free transfers for the first few weeks.

Yes, that is my greatest fear as well.  Jumping servers to find a playable one.  One way they can do to combat this is while they stagger the early invites, lock full servers and add new ones as needed.   That way queues won't be insane.  Rift did that way, but they don't have the same pre-ordres that SWTOR is getting.   Which is probably double or triple of what they had back at early Rift start.

See Rift Box sales week 1 (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/49494/rift/ ). Star Wars the Old Republic is in an entirely different league of sales by a factor of ten or so. 

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Does anyone know where to find a list of available NA servers?  It would be good for friends to have a backup server to go to if server A, B or C are too full.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Z3R01
    Two words: Subscriber retention.

Few more words..

Only 17% subscriber retention needed to be substantially profitable.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

I really think this will go smoother then what most think. I'm sure there will be some issues, but I don't ever remember a company putting guilds on servers pre launch. I think they have number crunchers looking at all the made guilds in terms of size, and will be plugging alot of these in to help balance servers before launch even hits. Not saying at all that some servers won't be crazy, but this new thing there doing I like. And I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out.

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

I'm just thinking... Damn that's a lot of CD's... lol

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Blackrayn

I really think this will go smoother then what most think. I'm sure there will be some issues, but I don't ever remember a company putting guilds on servers pre launch. I think they have number crunchers looking at all the made guilds in terms of size, and will be plugging alot of these in to help balance servers before launch even hits. Not saying at all that some servers won't be crazy, but this new thing there doing I like. And I'm really looking forward to how it turns out.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I want folks to realize that guild deployment is a suggestion as to what server your guild can/should be on.  No guilds are required to play or be deployed on the servers listed in the guild deployment so things could still get a bit hairy as far as that is concerned. 

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Does anyone know where to find a list of available NA servers?  It would be good for friends to have a backup server to go to if server A, B or C are too full.

I don't believe they have yet listed the available servers that will be deployed for the early access and launch.  I am expecting this information to get released by Dec 9th but probably not earlier than that.  I'm speculating on those dates though.