Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If there ever was a full-fledged Harry Potter MMO, who would you like to see develop it?

2»

Comments

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

HP is not compatible with MMO's. Of course you could make one if you really wanted to cash in, making Hogwarts as big as a city, so it can hold tens of thousands of players. Wouldn't running around the castle and perhaps the local forest all day be a bit boring in the long run though?

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Cuathon

Personally if I thought it was necessary to use an established IP I would absolutely go for the A Wizard of Earthsea. Its already way more suited to an mmo with magic and crafts and politics and its magic system isnt as stupid and limiting as HP. It has a massive archipelago with many factions, many of whom are at war and a great magic system and shitloads of lore and way better dragons.

You might be right, but can you honestly say it isn't a matter of time before we see a Harry Potter MMO, knowing the size and popularity of the franchise?

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by gladosrev2

HP is not compatible with MMO's. Of course you could make one if you really wanted to cash in, making Hogwarts as big as a city, so it can hold tens of thousands of players. Wouldn't running around the castle and perhaps the local forest all day be a bit boring in the long run though?

You're only thinking of the immediate area surrounding the school. The Harry Potter story exists in a world much larger than just the school and the forest.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Well HP takes place all over the world.  If they did do an MMO it would probably have to be a spin off and not centered around the shool.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

That'll never happen, author is strictly against turning it into an online game. She mentioned somewhere, when taking part in an interview over Pottermore, that she was making it more of an interactive book and less a game because she thought people were spending too much time in MMOs. I'll have to look for that interview again. If it were someone else, I'd say "Wave enough money at her and she'll cave," but the woman's already got more money than God. I don't see her bending her principles for more.

If it did happen however, I'd say themepark with sandbox elements, such as exploration and elements of randomness (like caves that have no quests tied to them, and don't have to be explored, but could be anyway). I don't see how Harry Potter could ever be sandboxy, there's nothing about that Universe that could even remotely be connected to building, politics, marketing, pvp (well, if you really stretched it thin I guess you could allow open pvp and rather than it be death, it's more like school vs. school, or some such), or any of the traditional sandbox elements. That is, of course, unless by sandbox you mean no quests, just random monsters you kill over and over and over a la Lineage 2, and games of that age. Not very many people enjoy that, though.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Odysses

WB owns Harry Potter, WB owns Turbine, therefore WB would use Turbine to develop it.  It may also have been one of the main reasons WB bought Turbine.

Turbine was the first that came to mind when i read the OP's post and i didn't even know that WB had bought them.

Turbine do an excellent job of taking lore of a well established story and putting it into an immersive online world.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Just call it Pedderass Online and be done with it!

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.