Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a matter of seconds I have lost all faith in internet reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rift

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/world-of-warcraft

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars

Words cannot discribe (Nor can Captian Picard facepalming) how disapointed I am at you internet.

I just thought I'd share.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I'd say that's a good ballpark for all 3 of those titles.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Xzen

wow should be lower than 90

Originally posted by Raxeon

Ah I was looking at the user scores.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

You had faith in Internet reviews to begin with?

Though I do think the user scores look about right.

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

I was talking about the users score.

GW at 8.5 while WOW is 7.1?

After playing both for haundreds of hours I call (Not just regular BS) but FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Originally posted by Quizzical

You had faith in Internet reviews to begin with?

I thought that the internet would at least be able to know that WoW is better than GW1.

I am not saying that WoW is some perfect game or that GW1 sucks but come on now.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Happyguy83

After playing both for haundreds of hours I call (Not just regular BS) but FUCKING BULLSHIT.

To me that seems about right.  Game ratings are a matter of perspective and opinion.  You think that because you believe a game is worth a 90 that it should have a 90, even if no one else thinks its a 90.

That reminds me of something.  A crazy person always thinks that everyone else is crazy and that they are a lone pillar of sanity.

WoW was rated by 660 people, while it may not be a "random" score, its actually enough people for most polls.  

WoW is only worth a 7.1, 7.5 at most.  GW is worth its 8 range score as well.  And Rift earns its 84 because its simply average.  Not great, not bad, just average.

Edit: Also, why is it a matter of if one game is better than another and just how the game is?  How do 300 peoples average beliefs affect you in any way if you've already played the games?  There are plenty of games I've enjoyed that many people say suck, and many games I've hated that people say are amazing.  To expect everyone to have the same opinion is just ignoring larger truths.

I would put all of those games at about 8.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Three of the most polished, high quality mmorpgs available got good reviews.  Im glad they didnt get bad ones, or worse, were worthy of bad reviews, because the genre would be pretty dead then.  No? 

User scores are what they are.  Take them with a grain of salt. 

I usually take reviews of any kind as a type of ball park suggestion.  Sometimes they are way off in left field contrary to my own opinion but usually they are some what close to what my own opinion ends up being. 

Of course sometimes, although seldomly, they are way off compared to my opinion.  But to get angry about that, Id also have to get furious at the weather man for predicting warm weather on Sunday when in fact, it snowed instead.  But the weather man does seem to be pretty right most of the time these days.  So thats the way I look at game reviews too.  For me its hit and miss, but more often a fairly solid hit. 

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

LOL... Just because hundreds of people don't agree with your personal rating of each game it must be BS? Hardly, each one of those games got reviewed just about spot on in my opinion but then I'm not biased by blind fanboyism for any of them.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• tloch14tloch14 Member UncommonPosts: 2

I believe Adam Sessler has said that Metacritic is a broken concept for a variety of reasons. I think there is still a lot of good to be said about internet reviews (just look at the user score). Just because one is way off, doesn't mean they're all full of it.

Another thing to consider is that the industry has changed a lot since the original release of WoW. Player perspectives are far different and we value different things than we did then. We expect more, or better, because in that time, devs have showed us more and better. That being said, almost all of the WoW reviews that it is basing it's meta-score on are so out-dated that the websites no longer provide pages for them. The one that I did find was dated back to 2005. At that time, because of player and critic perspectives, WoW would deserve a 93%. Nowadays, it certainly wouldn't.

So you see, it's not the fact that it's an internet review that is the reason why it sucks as a good measure for it's quality. Instead, it's because of the way the metacritic system works. It doesn't stay up to date.

Rift and GW are much more accurate to their present-day reviews, because they came out later. Go to GW:EotN on metacritic and you'll find a score that is even closer to the user scores.

Just do a bit more digging next time. Think it all through for yourself and see why that number might be where it is. People aren't just stupid, especially video game critics. It's their profession, they know what they're doing. If everybody re-reviewed WoW now, you'd be happier with the number and so would everybody else.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

With MMO reviews, I think you have to consider that they're heavily influenced by average gamers who only play them for a month or so, much like single-player games.  Think of them more like first impression reviews.  I think the user score is more of a mix of that, and MMO-focused players, though, who measure things a bit differently.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

^There's something wrong with this post. That's the users score. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean everybody else has to.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

People who love a game will rate it highly.

People who hate a game will rate it very low.

People who don't care either way won't rate the game.

That's why there's so much polarization.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by kashiegamer

^There's something wrong with this post. That's the users score. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean everybody else has to.

I like both WoW and GW1, they are both great games.

Its just that  I would have thought that the game with 10 million people playing it would have a higher score than a game with six million copies sold. Has nothing to do with my personal opinion really I think both are fine games.

I am begining to think the internet is full of hipsters.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

See if I can find that article on how the "User Scores" on that particular site (well, this one too, but specifically that site) are used poorly by the majority of the voters.

The two most common ratings are 10 and 0.  It's not intended to be a binary system.

Ah, there it is: http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1212865p2.html

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

In order of how much fun and how long I played each game, the scores are dead on.

Played WoW for 5 years or so, Guild Wars for a month maybe, and Rift for 2 days. I think they all deserve lower scores, honestly, but the order of best to worst scores is right on in my view.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Agreed.

GW was just meh imo.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

Frankly I have always took metacritic with a grain of salt. Its also one of the problems with this site with people creating accounts or just voting heavily to one side to sway the scale. While a scoring system is ok, I always prefer reading actual reviews like on gamefaqs etc to get a sense of what is good or bad about the game.

And on another thought, just because I or another person might hate said game, doesn't mean that it does not deserve the high score and praise it gets.

• BabyChooChooBabyChooChoo Member Posts: 29

Metacritic is only good for aggregating reviiews from other sites. That's it. The way they twist reviews to fit their scale and then average it is sort of broken. The user review section has been, is, and will be screwed up and should rarely be taken serious in my opinion. There are, of course, some good user reviewers there, but they are in the minority more often than not.

Also, blah blah blah opinions. If you like something why care what someone else thinks? In that same fashion, if you don't like something as much as the next person then why does it matter? Why not just leave the issue alone and let them have their fun?

There are people out there who legitimately enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. I thought that game was atrocious yet you don't see me running off to tell them they're wrong. Fact is, their fun is in no way impeding on my ability to have some fun of my own so why does it matter what they like?

Ima let me be me and let them be them. It's more fun for both sides that way so get over it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Other than the crtics rating all titles too highly, I think it was about right.  In my view all 3 were a solid 8/10 titles, no more, no less.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

You seem pretty upset, OP. Is there a reason why you are so worked up about other peoples opinions and preferences?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Ever stop to think that people might have different opinions about games then you do?

Personaly I don't feel any of the 2 games is better but that's a personal opinion, but you make it sound as if your opinion should be fact.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Icewhite

See if I can find that article on how the "User Scores" on that particular site (well, this one too, but specifically that site) are used poorly by the majority of the voters.

The two most common ratings are 10 and 0.  It's not intended to be a binary system.

Ah, there it is: http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1212865p2.html

Pretty much. User scores are a means of gushing or bashing most of the time, hence the overly-dramatic ratings.

What's worse is this is an extremism that feeds off itself: most people who would rate fairly (say, a 7 or 8) feel the need to go for the extremes themselves to balance the opposite extremes (the 0 and 1s).

That said, if you know how to read them right, you can take both the professional reviews and the user scores seriously and have a good idea about a game beforehand. You just have to learn how to comb out the drama and the overly  apologetic. Does a game have a pain in the neck DRM software? Is it one that's been hyped to the moon and back for months and months? Take these into consideration and adjust the user scores accordingly. As for professional reviews, they are always more coolheaded, but they tend to grade too high: if a game gets a 6, that pretty much means it's really bad and any grade below 5 is reserved for special occasions. 

For the 3 games mentioned in the OP: The prossional ratings for those are quite fair. Think of WOW's score as what it deserved in its first year. There's a reason it was a game changer. The user reviews there are overly dramatic thanks to the resentment of the playerbase towards WOW in the last years. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Its just that  I would have thought that the game with 10 million people playing it would have a higher score than a game with six million copies sold. Has nothing to do with my personal opinion really I think both are fine games.

Lol ?  U mad?

Why score has to have ANYTHING to do with how much copies it sold?

I have PLENTY of games that sold medicore that I am scoring higher than some games that sold millions.

Sales have absolutely NOTHING to do with how I score games. I don't care if game I like is played by 200k people or 5 million people.