Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online games for 8-year-old

loudmouthloudmouth Member Posts: 2

So I have a kid that will be turning 8 this coming December, and 1 of his wishes is to play online games. Of course all parents wants best for her child, but I don't have any idea about online games, I've searched the net and come accross these 2 games, Digimon Master Online and GrandChase.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these games?

what are their rating when it comes to children?

are they safe for a 8-year-old child?

are there anymore suggestion that you can share with me?

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

super hero squd online is aimed at children.  free realms i think is a kid game also i dont know about any others aimed at that young an age but i let my 6 yr old nephew play wow . 

He seems to like it but he doesnt really do anything except fly aorund and kill mobs way below the level of the guy i let hm fly aorund on .

Star wars clone wars may be a good one also to try.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by loudmouth

So I have a kid that will be turning 8 this coming December, and 1 of his wishes is to play online games. Of course all parents wants best for her child, but I don't have any idea about online games, I've searched the net and come accross these 2 games, Digimon Master Online and GrandChase.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these games?

what are their rating when it comes to children?

are they safe for a 8-year-old child?

are there anymore suggestion that you can share with me?

My son started playing World of Warcraft around that age, WoW is a great starter MMO for children, very mild game for kids and with the ex-pac of Mop coming out alot of kids are going to love the lore seeing as how it's kind of like kung fu panda, a hit cartoon series offspring form the movies that my son loves to watch everyday after school.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

The following list is the only ones I will let my kids play, I let my 7 year old play all of below and my 4 year old plays jumpstart.

-Jumpstart World  www.jumpstart .com    (The most tame out of this list and most educational)

-FreeRealms www.freerealms.com

-Wizard101 www.wizard101.com

-Monkey Quest  www.monkeyquest.com

If its a girl also webkinz is pretty cool, but you have to buy a stuffed animal or buy a petcode  www.webkinz.com

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

And to answer your original question. Jumpstart is very safe as kids have to pick pre-generated sentences to say if they chat at all.

The others. You can turn off free-chat altogether in parental settings. There are of-course profanity filters in-game automatically on all of them. I watch my 7 year old loosely when she plays~ meaning I will look and see what she's doing or talking about from time to time and even "instruct her" on gaming etiquite from time to time.

Not only that but its important to monitor the time they play. If they turn into zombies playing hour after hour it can lead to not wanting to leave the house or being unsociable, etc. I limit my daughters time playing to about an hour at a time.