Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you enjoy a game for what it is...

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

.. instead of what you think it should be?

Everyone has their likes and dislikes, we all know this.  But how many people can go into a game with an open mind and attempt to play and enjoy a game for what it is?  Meaning, if it is a PvP game then you participate in PvP battles, you don't complain how you hate PvP and the software company should remove it.  If the game is about PvE then you do your dungeon crawls and raids and don't complain that you can't kill other players.  If the game is group oriented then you join a group and do whatever and don't complain you want solo content.  You get the point.

Of course we'll still find plenty of games we don't like even when we do give them a fair shake.  But at least be willing to experiement a bit.

I have learned from experience that the preconceived notions of what is good and bad about a mmorpg can make you miss out on games you may potentially come to enjoy.  Playing a game that does something really well can make you change your mind overnight.  For instance the first few mmorpg's I played, I thought PvP was aweful.  I saw no point in it and found it boring after a few fights.  Then I played Eve and it made me do a complete 180 on the subject.

I find it extremely arrogant when players make posts on how a company should make radical changes to games because it would please them.

There are a lot of posts about how this genre is becoming stale and everything feels too similar.  I agree with that.  But then when something different does come along, I hear the same people complaining how it lacks features that the "stale model" contains.  We have to make up our minds, do we want something new or not.  Again, can we try a different game with an open mind without immediately comparing it to WoW and dismiss it because you can't play as an elf?

/rant

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,298

People are as people do. It dosnt matter if were talking games, movies, books,  politics or anything else under the sun. You will always have your bitcher's moaner's and complainer's.

Just human nature I guess....

Confucious says... Man who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes with stinky finger

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

The problem is that being motivated to play a game isn't the same as liking it. If you play enough to be sucked into the mechanics with addictive qualities, you may keep playing, but that doesn't make it fun per say. Further, a lot of games even with the same style can be fun while the novelty of new skills and stats and races and such is still functional but when it wears off you quit, and that period is generally a month or two tops.

I have played WoW and LotR and they were more fun than sitting around staring off into space. They didn't make me fly into a rage or anything, but Guild Wars just grabbed for thousands of hours. I can recognize that the games provide a subjectively positive experience to many players. I still don't want to play them.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

If I enjoy what the game has to offer, then Yes.

If I don't enjoy what the game has to offer, then No. I'll quietly move on to something that does offer what I enjoy.

On the risk of putting words in the your mouth, were you really asking "If you don't enjoy a game, why can't you just move on and not make it your life's mission to convince others that they really shouldn't enjoy it either?" 

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

I think that enjoying a game for what we think it should be is a double-edged weapon which benefits the game studio at the expense of dirtying the community.

In the one hand you have those who whine which are always the vocal minority; They may or may not prevent a few newcomers seeking for information about the game in their public forums from joining it.

In the other hand, you have those dreaming about the potential of the game which leads them into thinking that somehow someday all these features that they feel wrong would be tweaked to fit their expectations.

But at the end of the day, both whiners and hopers do care about the game or they'd just leave silently.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Also there are the haters but this topic was about the peeps who play the game.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Skatty2007

If I enjoy what the game has to offer, then Yes.

If I don't enjoy what the game has to offer, then No. I'll quietly move on to something that does offer what I enjoy.

On the risk of putting words in the your mouth, were you really asking "If you don't enjoy a game, why can't you just move on and not make it your life's mission to convince others that they really shouldn't enjoy it either?" 

This.

But in some cases its just that "haters" can't find a game that suits them, for w/e reason. And their only choice is to agitate for the closest game to what they want to change.