Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Crucible Expansion is Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EVE Online players have a lot to look forward to with today's release of the winter expansion, Crucible. Crucible brings a lot of upgrades and several new features into the game. CCP Soundwave has penned a new blog post talking about what the team has accomplished with Crucible and what the next year will bring to EVE Online.

The good news is that the 18 months are over and it feels pretty good. We had about 4-6 weeks of actual development time to put this release together and I honestly feel that this is the best release we’ve done in years. The recipe contains a few teaspoons of really good looking people, an ounce of love for EVE and is topped off with good ideas from the community.

Read the full blog post on the EVE Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Holy crap. New frigates? What ships are those?!

• CailaCaila Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Jonsus

Those are Fighter Bomber Drones used by Supercarriers.

Only new ships are the 4 Battlecruisers.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

This expansion seems very light on new content. It's kind of disappointing. It looks more like a bug fix patch with some minor content additions.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

patched up, logged on, reset graphic settings, pure win.  Thank you for caring about internet spaceships again CCP.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by MrBoots

This expansion seems very light on new content. It's kind of disappointing. It looks more like a bug fix patch with some minor content additions.

EVE community: "CCP, we're sick of you releasing an unrelenting barrage of new content, HALF-FINISHED, then never getting around to fixing the small things."

CCP: "Crucible."

EVE community: "YES."

An expansion like this was needed for a LONG time.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Comnitus

EVE community

Is it a male or female? Got blue or brown eyes?

The expansion is just garbage, one of the worst in years, Quantum Rise 2 - no content...

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Gdemami

EVE community

The expansion is just garbage, one of the worst in years, Quantum Rise 2 - no content...

I'll take 100 crucibles over a single incarna.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Originally posted by pyrofreak

I'll take 100 crucibles over a single incarna.

I'll take 100 Incarnas over a single Crucible. Your point?

Different people, different taste. However, no content of the expansion is non-arguable.

• OltzuOltzu Member UncommonPosts: 103

To me this expansion came out of nowhere feels like it was yesterday they announced it, didnt cost me a cent and was a nice addition.

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97

haters gonna hate i guess.

I am glad they are fixing some of the broken stuff and the last time i checked new ships, new graphics, and new modules (not just the t2 version but the new deadspace ones)  are indeed new content....

• imahayheadimahayhead Member UncommonPosts: 33

How can people say there's no new content? They added features many people wanted, new ships, new T2 modules, and dozens more new features.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Ok here is the patch notes, since a blog was linked at top:

http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp

Seems pretty cool, four new ships, some new shiny graphics, some T2 new modules, bunch of bug fixes.  There is content there for sure, but I am still on a 'break' from Eve and tbh, none of this makes me want to log in again. 

"Cloaked ships will no longer decloak other cloaked ships."  That one was pretty cool.  Always bothered me getting decloaked in warp by other cloaked ships in my warp tunnel. 

"Insurance is no longer paid out for players who are killed by CONCORD."  Really lame change.  No more sucide ganking, no more insurance fraud.  Feels like they just took a feature out of the game for me :(

They nerfed the dramiel, but buffed many Gallente ships!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Best expansion ever. After 3 nice days in TOR beta that was another joy. Graphic is now epic and ships looks much much better, specially Caldari ships. Hybrid weapons do now nice damage and i got some nice  dps in dueling tonight. Naga hits so hard and have awesome range, nice surprise for Caldari. Engine trails give that awesome feeling when you blast with fast frigate through space. And much much more is in crucible expansion. But like always you will find many people who hate everything and everyone.  My advice--First try game for longer period and after that -post on forums. People do not be angry on haters:) When we started to play beta swtor on friday i was giving a quick look on MMORPG after few hours and you got already few expert haters who was spiting all over the game he he.  EVE is not for everyone  and i can say  it is only hard game on market, there is no ress and you can lose in short time ship worth one month subscription or more. CCP you did great work this time

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Caila

Originally posted by Jonsus

Those are Fighter Bomber Drones used by Supercarriers.

Only new ships are the 4 Battlecruisers.

Super bubble burst Batman!  Lmao 

I thought they looked amazingly cool too!  Makes sense no one gets to actually fly them.  Those are honestly some of the nicest looking "ships" Ive seen in EvE.   Bomber drones huh?  Well okay. 

• CailaCaila Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Corehaven

I thought they looked amazingly cool too!  Makes sense no one gets to actually fly them.  Those are honestly some of the nicest looking "ships" Ive seen in EvE.   Bomber drones huh?  Well okay. 

They are revamping the Crow.

All Frigates will be getting new Modles in the Expansions to come along with most of the ships in EVE.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

EVE community

Actually it is one of the best expansions in a while. new ships that almost anyone can fly, they fixed some major problems with super caps amid many other fixes that make the game better.   This was what was needed.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

I think you can sum this one up in a word: Polish

And I like it! Much needed,

Now the trick is going to be if they can follow up on this.

Launched yesterday and already 350 posts reporting more or less serious issues with patch...

Many people can't even apply the patch. Such an irony for co-called expansion supposedly focused on fixing things...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=39106&p=18

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by MrBoots

You should go sit in the corner of there --->

Your insolence shall not go unpunished.

This is not a game.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

EVE community

Join Mr boots in the corner ----->

Your insolence knows no bounds.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Join Mr boots in the corner ----->Your insolence knows no bounds.

I guess some people do not mind getting croissants poked into their ears...and CCP is pretty good at it :)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Join Mr boots in the corner ----->Your insolence knows no bounds.

I guess some people do not mind getting croissants poked into their ears...and CCP is pretty good at it :)

Don't be like that. The expansion is filled with so many tiny changes and tweaks, they almost make it feel brand-spanking new.

And besides, I bet these guys would piss over anything CCP brings out, so what exactly are we discussing here.

Originally posted by BizkitNLDon't be like that. The expansion is filled with so many tiny changes and tweaks, they almost make it feel brand-spanking new.
    And besides, I bet these guys would piss over anything CCP brings out, so what exactly are we discussing here.

If I had to make a wild guess, the layoffs and internal affairs affiliated with Incarna and financial issues disturbed the plans for Winter expansion and this is a result how CCP muddled though - they puddled some bits together, call it an expansion and made good PR about it.

That's pretty much usual CCP business.

Incarna nor Crucible, hell even Quantum Rise aren't an issue for what they bring. What I am pointing at for quite a time is not what they DO but HOW they do it. Basically whatever they touch they break or screw up in some other way, despite the idea behind and motives are often good.

Did you know that despite blaster buff, Hail has no Fall-Off penalty now? That is simply hilarious...

Incarna is finest example. There is no issue with NEX store, there is no issue with captain quarters as a content. The issue is awful execution and this does not seem to change.

They just can't do things 'right' anymore and fixing takes unbearably long time(if ever)...

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

@Gdemani

So what would you want from an expansion that happened in three months, after CCP realised the playerbase was unhappy with the direction they were taking due to massed unsubs, trashing what they had planned and had started programming for the most part then going out on a fixit spree?

The real test for CCP management will be in the summer expansion and what they do when they have time to plan for it again.

Originally posted by Codenak
    @Gdemani
    So what would you want from an expansion that happened in three months, after CCP realised the playerbase was unhappy with the direction they were taking due to massed unsubs, trashing what they had planned and had started programming for the most part then going out on a fixit spree?
    The real test for CCP management will be in the summer expansion and what they do when they have time to plan for it again.

This isn't about CCP, it's about players, players who applaud to garbage...

Wrong direction for EVE? Far from it.

Like I said before, there is nothing wrong in what CCP does, the problem is how they do it. I truly want them to sell 70$ USD monocles, just do it right.

Check this out:

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/bigpoint-sells-2000-spaceship-drones-for-1000-euros-each-in-just-four-days/

Most likely they could charge even more for Monocles, the problem is they failed communication/PR/marketing wise.