Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank the gods for space bar

13»

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

The class quest and story i really liked and love to listen to, but thank god they have the option to hit space bar and skip all the voice overs for the other quest.

seriously the last thing i want to do is stand there for 5 min and listen to some NPC tell me why im going to kill 10 space rats, or why im going to go deliver some box to another NPC on the other side of the city. I know for some this is a great thing and thats fine im glad those people like it, but for myself i was over listening to the NPCs talk to me about quest after about 30 min.

Also i dont know if anybody else agrees, but for the love of god we need a option to mute the anouncer in Huttball  it really got old listening to that dude yap on the whole match.

I liked hearing their little tales but hey, if you hate it, yep it's a good thing there is a space bar, lol

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by jerlot65

You know I just spent the last wo days looking at videos and reading up on GW2 and I just dont get it.  All the gameplay I saw was a person standing still in front of a mob and striking it.  occasionally the person would hit some "dodge" skill and would tumbel a short distance. I hear all this talk about fast paced combat and runnning around all over the place and yet dont see in in any game play videos.  And these dynamic quests look like nothing more then a better Warhammer public quest.

I'm sure Gw2 will be good.  I just don't get all this "GW2 is so next gen" while SWTOR is not.

If you really want to know about GW2, come to our forums, start a thread and ask a question.  We'll be happy to tell you all about why dynamic events are amazing, what makes the combat different, or anything else you'd like to know.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

The problem with the multiple choice system is that it has no consequence at all. It's purely cosmetic.

If you choose a "dark" answer they become agitated for one sentence then go back to their chipper regular dialog. It's really annoying. I hated that.

If i insult a sith general i expect him to get pissed of and stay that way for all future conversations!

No persistence, the game world is static. Nothing ever changes. Your actions have no consequences at all.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• IchirokuIchiroku Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I really loved listening to all the voices for any quest tbh. Ive gone into character the second i created my sith inquisitor. couldnt get enough RPing :)
  • IchirokuIchiroku Member UncommonPosts: 16
    @taus01 i disagree. i went on a quest to save the majors son on balmorra i believe, but he had a map to an ancient weapon so i killed him for it, and because of that the major went berserk and tried to kill me.
  • DromedarrDromedarr Member Posts: 76

You are pretty spoiled, aren't you?

Maybe they should delete jurnal and map waypoints and let you guide just via dialogs.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

The class quest and story i really liked and love to listen to, but thank god they have the option to hit space bar and skip all the voice overs for the other quest.

seriously the last thing i want to do is stand there for 5 min and listen to some NPC tell me why im going to kill 10 space rats, or why im going to go deliver some box to another NPC on the other side of the city. I know for some this is a great thing and thats fine im glad those people like it, but for myself i was over listening to the NPCs talk to me about quest after about 30 min.

Also i dont know if anybody else agrees, but for the love of god we need a option to mute the anouncer in Huttball  it really got old listening to that dude yap on the whole match.

I heard that the kill 10 rats quest is a bonus quest that pops up as a counter automatically counting the mobs killed in the area relating to the already existing quest and it does not even have a VO for. Please give a specific example of a quest and its story and how it relates to kill 10 rats?

I bet you are exagertting the situation, which is very misleading and also you are giving people a negative opinion on the game for no reason apparently. People should be able to take peoples opinion as having some truth to it. However I beleive you are being very baised.

Prove it by quoting a side quest you did not like. You compare it to something we dont like such as kill ten rats when there aren't even rats to kill in swtor afaik. So relate it to something that is factual and not exageratte your dislike of the game, and also affecting others peoples fun.

Also a side quest that fits the environment is not a 10 kill rats quest. For example there is a battle and there some operations on the side to help the battle. Those side missions are not 10 kill rats when they make sense to fit the environment.

Kill 10 rats is an example of a quest in other games where you have to help a chef which does not really relate to the environments story but being a story of its own.

So does the side quest have a boring story of its own that does not fit the environment? Then I can agree with you. I wish people were less biased so we can benefit from the point of view. You are taking basically one of the best features of the game and saying its not good. In other words you are saying its a grind when not playing the main story. That is quite the claim. 

So please back it up.

Also you can configure your sound settings for Hutt ball. Maybe there is no option in beta to balance the talking with the music over sound fx but there probably will be in the future. 

Frankly your review is disheartening. I wont ignore the truth, but I wont beleive something lacking evidence as well. So please in the name of all that is holy, god/gods, be fair in your review. image

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

•  

Is there an option to turn off the VOs and only have text? Maybe a separate volume control?

I find my own imagination does character voices better than the actors + I read lightning fast compared to the time it takes to listen.

Or is there more happening than the voice over, such as the NPC reacting by running away or checking a console etc? I'm confused... what actually happens when you press the space bar?

(Obviously, I didn't take part in the betas.)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Techleo

Definitely nice for those who don't want to listen. Frankly I do. I enjoy getting into character mentally and going with it from a RP state of mind. Mind you if I replayed a quest, its nice to skip the text hehe.

What leo say's.....imho this is the first mmorpg in YEARS that put's the RPG back in MMORPG.

But if you guys want to skip it...go ahead.....while you are bored because you seen it all i'll still be having fun with my story.

As an old school RPG lover i always try to play my game as i would be reading a good fantasy book......i LOVE story's.....otherwise a game would be just about pushing the same 5 buttons over and over for many hours to get to the end and still not having a clue what the damn game was all about.......but thats just mho.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Biggus99

2)  I bring this point up a lot, because it's a pet peeve of mine:  If you find yourself using the spacebar because you don't need the voiceover to tell you to kill 10 space rats, then you are not playing SWTOR.  You are playing some other MMO with voiceovers.  Because SWTOR doesn't have any npcs that give you the standard "Kill X of Y" quests.  Not one.  I played 5 different class storylines all ranging from level 12 to level 25, and at least through the first half of the game, I can unequivocally say that I have received a grand total of ZERO quests requiring me to kill a certain number of a certain mob.  Not once did I have to sit through a voiceover to get that particular quest.  

Took the liberty to cut the quote a bit, but

You get your kill X of Y when you kill Y in the world, NPC doesn't give you it. Here you're correct.

Then you get your kill X of Y and Z of W from NPC. Don't remember what NPC or what Y and W they were but it was close to the saber quest somewhere on the starting area. It wasn't the only one.

It's the same, no need to put out lies about it. Another thing is how they disguise it. Like it has been said here on MMORPG.com, it's not the grind but how the devs manage to hide it from the player.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by mastersem

@taus01 i disagree. i went on a quest to save the majors son on balmorra i believe, but he had a map to an ancient weapon so i killed him for it, and because of that the major went berserk and tried to kill me.

Exceptions don't make a rule. In my total 50 levels across 2 characters i have not encountered more than 2 of these exceptions.

Yes, there are some fantastic quest lines that have great story and dialog. But they are very few.

The game has the same "Kill 10 X" quests as any other game. They are disguised as "bring me 10 Z" quests, when you reach the quest area you get the "Kill 10 X" and those drop your 10 Z.

The game also has repeating quests all over the place.

"Bring me the Nort, South, East and West power cells generators", "Collect the stone slabs of Love, Hate, Greed and Virtue", "Find the 4 Command modules in the 4 command centers"

They are wrapped in some bogus story but in the end they are the same old quests.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Strap

Is there an option to turn off the VOs and only have text? Maybe a separate volume control?

I find my own imagination does character voices better than the actors + I read lightning fast compared to the time it takes to listen.

Or is there more happening than the voice over, such as the NPC reacting by running away or checking a console etc? I'm confused... what actually happens when you press the space bar?

(Obviously, I didn't take part in the betas.)

It's a completely interactive conversation, during which time people may get killed, tortured, bribed, spared, rescued.....

It's not just quest text that is read to you.

Your choices in these things matter. You can turn on subtitles, btw. But you cannot turn off the dialogues....that would be turning off 50% of the actual game.

In short....the dialogues are just as much part of the gameplay as the combat. They provide the reason and the consequences for everything else.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by mastersem

Exceptions don't make a rule. In my total 50 levels across 2 characters i have not encountered more than 2 of these exceptions.

Yes, there are some fantastic quest lines that have great story and dialog. But they are very few.

The game has the same "Kill 10 X" quests as any other game. They are disguised as "bring me 10 Z" quests, when you reach the quest area you get the "Kill 10 X" and those drop your 10 Z.

The game also has repeating quests all over the place.

"Bring me the Nort, South, East and West power cells generators", "Collect the stone slabs of Love, Hate, Greed and Virtue", "Find the 4 Command modules in the 4 command centers"

They are wrapped in some bogus story but in the end they are the same old quests.

These "exceptions", as you call them, are everywhere. And often, the consequences of your choices are not immediately obvious.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

That would be nice. I also wouldn't mind the option to mute all NPCs in general. There seems to be wierd glitches in which you hear other players companions over and over, regardless of if they are nearby.

The black talon mission is also annoying with the NPC spam.