Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Ultima Online still worth playing today?

GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

Just wondering.

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

You'll find a lot of people who refuse to believe any good ever came to UO after Trammel, but the game still has a lot of things going for it.  Just try the trial - the full game can't be anymore than 2GB, I'd wager.

I'd return to UO before I'd return to almost any other MMO right now.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by uohaloran

You'll find a lot of people who refuse to believe any good ever came to UO after Trammel, but the game still has a lot of things going for it.  Just try the trial - the full game can't be anymore than 2GB, I'd wager.

I'd return to UO before I'd return to almost any other MMO right now.

The only problem is that someone than never played it will get a totally false opinion and view of the game if he play the today version. Really the game was shatered over and over to fit the mainstrem its not even funny. So playing today mmo will give pretty much the same with better garphics.

Any serious gaming company will cheerish their strongest Ip because they know they will make huge money from it in future games, and could probably sell back the IP and make a ton of money without doing anything but keeping it strong. But Ea clearly spat on this Ip without any respect at all, they really pissed on it, its sad to say but thats the very true. Really the game is simply miles aways from what it was. So if you want to try the Uo everyone is talking about, the official server is not what you are looking for. If you want to try an other mmo, then just try it.

• MmorpgeriusMmorpgerius Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yes.

Beats 95% of current mmos even with it's outdated graphics and somewhat clunky interface.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I would have to say so. Bought the latest expansion as soon as my trial expired and enjoying it more than any other MMO I have the past few years.

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

WHat changed though? I just want that Ultimate Sandbox experience. 

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Yes its still worth playing..even its current form is a pretty superior MMO. That said I'd suggest looking at the various freeshards especially ones with no Tram..

Whats changed??..god it depends on when you last played the game..tons of changes. If you haven't played since oh 2000 or so its a completely different animal..

TO be honest my dude I've never played it but I know what its all about. I just never played it. And is SP is the GO TO Shard?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

There are two ways to play UO, really. FFA PvP or Consent-only PvP (don't even get me started on the PvE side).

If you want the first one, your options are Siege Perilous or a freeshard.

If you want the latter one, the official shards are your choice. Europa and Catskills have (among others I'm sure) good RP communities, which will give you all the PvP you want, while also giving you an option NOT to PvP when you don't feel like it.

I've chosen the latter one, since I don't enjoy being at the receiving end of a PK's description of fun.

So  basically I should ignore everyone that says UO sucks now and should play UO now if I love sandbox MOs PvP FFA?

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Yes but if you want Ultima Online PvP then go to a freeshard..Siege is pretty much dead.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

The game became materialistic. You'd need some weapons with freaked out mods to stand a chance against people. Resistances on armor was added = making all other types of clothing as strong as plate without the high strength requirement. Housing locations, back then you could put a house in the city limits and be protected by guards. Freakish fast casting / recovery (no such thing back then). Stealing in town (Was super fun to do this and get away with some nice loot). A lot more but nothing comes to mind ATM.

The one cool thing that I liked really much was the house customization. Build your house the way you like it.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by csthao

The game became materialistic. You'd need some weapons with freaked out mods to stand a chance against people. Resistances on armor was added = making all other types of clothing as strong as plate without the high strength requirement. Housing locations, back then you could put a house in the city limits and be protected by guards. Freakish fast casting / recovery (no such thing back then). Stealing in town (Was super fun to do this and get away with some nice loot). A lot more but nothing comes to mind ATM.

The one cool thing that I liked really much was the house customization. Build your house the way you like it.

You Know KALGAN from World Of Warcraft? Thats what happened he used to go by the name Evocare. He implemented things like Paladins, so you had Necro Palli hybrids and all kinds of samurai garbage, make the game about gear instead of crafting, and skills. Created a carebear area just for people who didn't like being killed. Of course if you play WOW all of that sounds strangely familiar. HOW do these guys keep getting hired?

Oh and BTW dont let people bait you into the illegal servers. Just dont. Play a real mmo with some backing. If this is your speed try WURM, possibly Darkfall, MAYBE Fallen Earth, Ryzom or EVE.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Azaria

HOW do these guys keep getting hired?

Because they know how to make a game that will actually sell.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Azaria

HOW do these guys keep getting hired?

Because they know how to make a game that will actually sell.

Warmaster they didn't develop anything they were just hired later, if you dont know what your talking about dont jump in the conversation with flame bait. Your on the UO forums with a bunch of old guys, who are you trying to kid. 

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Pardo, Kaplan, and Chilton are the ruiner of all good things.

They are directly responsible for the mess we have in this genre currently.

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

Pardo, Kaplan, and Chilton are the ruiner of all good things.

They are directly responsible for the mess we have in this genre currently.

Well Kaplan did expand the Themepark to what it is to day, but to his credit Kaplan produced all of the good things WOW Used to have, actually built a good deal of the original areas, his rule as lead game designer was the golden age of WOW. It Was Tom Chilton and Greg Street who ruined things. Although I have no idea why they wont replace those lunatics with a capable leader. But Chilton and Street are definately on my Dev Watch List, I keep a list of Devs who ruin games then before I get interested I see whos on the Dev team, you see one of these guys or if they do like UO and say Introducing Tom Chilton new lead game designer, I suggest you run for the hills. 

I need to actually compile that on a list, Everyone on the NGE team, post BC WOW design, numerous other horror stories.

• Rockem327Rockem327 Member Posts: 1

UO  was extremely fun but after server's updated to all the magical power additives to weapons i logged out and NEVER logged back into it. I have played the free servers but its really only PVP and cant ever seem to find a reason to play :( Trying to find a game like that now but then again i dont know which game runs off a crappy e-machine graphic card from about 4 years ago... Tried the tank thing for a few minutes took forever to log in, couldnt see the ground and lagged to death twice. So deleted that game.

Anything good out there someone prefers? I dont like games like WOW that i have to stay online for. Something i can log in and out of like UO that actually has some player base. Darkfall? but how much more of a graphic card will i need?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I've come back to UO many many times and still have a ton of fun on each return. For me though the returns are about 3-6 months long though. My problem with UO is after a decade or so of playing I need a new world. Sosaria is great but the mystery and the excitement is kind of gone for me but .... thats just how things go. If you're into a game like UO then UO is the only place to go. Well you could play EvE but thats only if your into scifi and like the style of game play it has. 

Other than that there isn't anything compairable to UO. 

MO = LOL, don't bother. 

DFO = No sand in the sandbox

FE = More about that Mad Max feel and crafting, lots of friggin crafting. 

Something worth pointing out......... even though UO is up into the double digits age wise it still remains Pay to Play when games like Age of Conan, Star Wars Online, Champions Online, EverQuest 2, LotRO, Aion, DDO, and so many friggin more were forced to go free to play and these games haven't seen the life span of UO by a long shot. 

So infer what you will from that. 

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

I miss old school UO :"(

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I played until about a month after Age of Shadow.  What killed it for me was just the sudden transition from non-gear to gear-based game.  Before AOS, crafted gear was good, and you could also get cool stuff from mobs... but most of your ´power´ was in your own ability to control your character.  After AOS, your gear became you... and it didn´t come from crafting, it was all about killing a crapload of mobs to get diablo style loot.

The fun part of UO for me was always about player housing and the economy.  I loved having a huge store with repeat customers.  I also loved going into dungeons with new players for no other reason than to test our abilities to control the spawns.  After AOS, the only thing anyone ever wanted to do was grind some spot for gear. 

Many people think Trammel was the end of UO.. I think it was the transition to item-based gameplay that ruined it.

Is it worth playing today?  Probably not.  A sandbox game needs an interactive community and decent population. UO has lost both.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it's in 2d.....who the heck playes a 2d game in 2012?......

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

So  basically I should ignore everyone that says UO sucks now and should play UO now if I love sandbox MOs PvP FFA?

If you remove the words PVP and FFA then yes. But in its current form its not the real UO. Its been Trammelized and EAfied

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

2D games can be just as fun as any 3d games.  There are actually alot of 2d games better then 3d.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's in 2d.....who the heck playes a 2d game in 2012?......

Gee, I don't know, maybe someone with enough imagination to look past the more trivial, aesthetic aspects of a game and appreciate all of the gameplay elements that it dominates, as opposed to the typical run-of-the-mill, cookie cutter 3D mmo with it's boring, mindless, tired, and repetitve gameplay conventions?

Hope that answers your question.

• MadragonMadragon Member UncommonPosts: 42

The best all around game out there.  You can be anything in this game, want to be a fisherman and make money at it?  You can!  Smith, tailor, hunter, cook, ninja, Dragon tamer, vampire like chr......you name it...you have it!  One thing I love about this game is that people actually ROLE PLAY and work together....hence MMORPG. 

UO is just a classic I keep playing.   I take breaks dont get me wrong, but I keep bouncing back to it:)