Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a SSD

thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

New budgetish build almost complete and need 1 final part a SSD.

Only really need a 128gb at maximum as this is only for OS and certain other things.

The rest of the build

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 SUPER OC 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express  (ridiculously cheap and not far from a reference 580 performnace)

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (didnt see the point in a I7)

Motherboard : Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 Intel P67 Chipset (Socket 1155) DDR3 (freebie from a pal)

Case : Cooler Master HAF 912 (Old I had knocking around)

Power Supply : GX 750w (Old again)

RAM : G.Skill RipJawsX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel  (at £68 for a matched set figured might as well)

HDD : Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache (old)

DVD drive : Sony Optiarc AD-5280S 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (old)

CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (got bundled with the cpu possibly going to change for a H50 or H70)

As you can see its been a pretty cheap decent gaming build so would rather not break the bank on a SSD for it but I have a SSD in my Qosmio and I know the benefits in performance it offers so definitely want one.

Oh I'm UK based so newegg and such like is fairly pointless linking except if showing a drive I should look for.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Here's a decent post where they tested a bunch of the SSD's available and ranked them performance/price wise, was updated on the 26th of this month

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18316485

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I've just bought an SSD and I can reccomend the one I use CLICK I've got my whole hard drive on it and it's ****ing awesome!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

IMHO I'd just get one big enough to put your os on it, and 1 or 2 of the games you play the most and put everything else on a bigger 7200rpm drive... If your building with a budget the cost outweighs the benefit. I believe windows 7 is 16gbs, and your average game now is maybe 10gb? (mmo's a bit bigger) I'd say get something around 64gb just so the game(s) you play the most load faster. There is cheaper then this, but it has damn good ratings so it would be trusty - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441 Good luck!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

aye 64gb is probably enough for me I have a 64gb in laptop and its always got 20GB free on it with the 7200rpm 640gb for data and games.

Theres no game these days where I require load times to be super fast since BF3 put a timer on round start :)  BC2 the SSD pwned could have 2 mcoms planted befroe most had even loaded to next round :)

Was the Crucial M4 64gb that was top of my list and can get it for around £70 with shopping around was just seeing if anyone had any opinions on others.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by Agricola1

I've just bought an SSD and I can reccomend the one I use CLICK I've got my whole hard drive on it and it's ****ing awesome!

I got the same model but 128 gb one.  As stated above, it is awesome.

Originally posted by Agricola1

As much as I'd love a 256gb one it would double the costs involved in making this machine near enough and after spending £2000 on a laptop earlier in year theres no way she who controls the wallet would let me :)

Originally posted by thamighty213

Was the Crucial M4 64gb that was top of my list and can get it for around £70 with shopping around was just seeing if anyone had any opinions on others.

The M4's are pretty much the best for the price/performance atm.

Ourt of curiosity, which site has the 64gb version for £70? In the middle of a new build atm and one of those is going in it, but was about to pay £82 inc VAT for it.

Originally posted by Kabaal

The M4's are pretty much the best for the price/performance atm.

Ourt of curiosity, which site has the 64gb version for £70? In the middle of a new build atm and one of those is going in it, but was about to pay £82 inc VAT for it.

Its a shop local to me the guy is a idiot who always buys top end gaming gear when theres simply no market for it in this small town of pensioners and console freaks so it sits for ages until I walk in and make him an offer.

The graphics card for eg yeah a 480GTX so older but the gigabyte super overclock version and benches about 2% off a standard 580GTX cost me a whopping £135 :)  half the price of a 6970 and a 3rd of the price of a 580.

If only my local hardware shop did the same thing, mine only stock crap for high prices.

Originally posted by Kabaal

If only my local hardware shop did the same thing, mine only stock crap for high prices.

Aye this shops the same for things people might actually buy like Discs, Inks, RAM, external HD's cahrges the moon on a stick for absolute crap.

I'll generally pop in time to time just to see what good parts he hasnt managed to shift and make an offer if they have sat there for a while with no interest hes usually accomodating.

Building this for BF3 btw :)  bit more BFBC3 but hey I enjoyed BC2 so loving it so far,  the laptop whilst great and a gaming laptop screams in agony if I run BF3 at ultra settings 1920 x 1080 thus the desktop.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you found it at that price, then go for it.

-----

Some other comments about the build:

I'm not sure what qualifies as "ridiculously cheap" on a GeForce GTX 480.  But if they're the same price, I'd much rather have either of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-112-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

http://www.ebuyer.com/280423-powercolor-hd-6970-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-dual-mini-displayport-hdmi-pci-e-ax6970-2gbd5-2dh

Even at £200, I'd want to have a good look at the cooler on the GTX 480, as that's a tough card to cool properly--which is why most of them weren't.  Basically, the problem is that Nvidia said 250 W, and then the card ended up using a lot more than that.

If that's a Cooler Master GX series power supply, then it's junk, and you should probably replace it.

If a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 can't handle the overclock you want, then a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard likely can't, either.  At stock speeds or even something like 4 GHz at stock voltage, they'll both be fine.  If you have ideas about going for 5 GHZ, neither will work.

Unless you have unusual needs, you realy don't need 16 GB of system memory.  Even 8 GB is overkill for most people.  And if you buy 8 GB now (as two 4 GB modules), it's easy to add 8 GB more later.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you found it at that price, then go for it.

-----

Some other comments about the build:

I'm not sure what qualifies as "ridiculously cheap" on a GeForce GTX 480.  But if they're the same price, I'd much rather have either of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-112-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

http://www.ebuyer.com/280423-powercolor-hd-6970-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-dual-mini-displayport-hdmi-pci-e-ax6970-2gbd5-2dh

Even at £200, I'd want to have a good look at the cooler on the GTX 480, as that's a tough card to cool properly--which is why most of them weren't.  Basically, the problem is that Nvidia said 250 W, and then the card ended up using a lot more than that.

If that's a Cooler Master GX series power supply, then it's junk, and you should probably replace it.

If a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 can't handle the overclock you want, then a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard likely can't, either.  At stock speeds or even something like 4 GHz at stock voltage, they'll both be fine.  If you have ideas about going for 5 GHZ, neither will work.

Unless you have unusual needs, you realy don't need 16 GB of system memory.  Even 8 GB is overkill for most people.  And if you buy 8 GB now (as two 4 GB modules), it's easy to add 8 GB more later.

£135 for the GTX 480 and its the gigabyte 3 fan super overclocked one as reviewed here http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_480_SOC/  so about 40% less than a GTX 480 50% of a 6970 and 66% less than a GTX 580 here in the UK.

Yep the PSU is a CM GX series and it is next on the list to replace as I prefer a modular option for cable routing etc

16gb of memory was just for the hell of it really more a inside aesthetics thing than a needed thing.

Not familiar with the TX3 and was only planning for 4.5ghz maximum I just figured with it being a fairly low end cooler it wouldnt do the job on that kind of overclock + again the enclosed liquid ones like the H50-H70 look a bit better

Having read more on the GX series they really do seem to be garbage numerous reviews state that this 750 will not be kind to my hardware when pulling more that 500w which it obviously would.

Theres a corsair pro AX1000 on ebay at the moment for auction still at a low price how would you rate the Corsair AX series ?