Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting !

Comments

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

Oh thats great info , seems they came up with new carfting gameplay idea thats involving companion which I do like ..

' sight ' can't wait till I get into the game and try these myself . Many thanks to u all for replies :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by alanthecelt
    bare in mind
    my companion can go on gathering/crafting missions and would take him out of play (id do this when i really didnt need her)
    But
    when you get your ship you get a droid, he lives on your ship and cant accompany you, so he can be constantly missioning for you
    the cost for the missions was low, and if i sent him on slicing misisons he owuld generally bring in a smal income

This is actually something I find interesting. In order for the cost of the crafting/gathering missions to make you income, you'd have to be able to sell some of your stuff on the galactic market. I think even breaking even would be tricky. Another person I talked to in the beta actually spent all their credits on the missions and had nothing left. They didn't realize there was a cost to sending your companion out on missions.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by I_Return

And there's skills that dont fall in a category:

* Diplomacy

* Investigation

* Underworld Trading

* Treasure Hunting

* Slicing

I just saw these towards the end of beta, and very curious about them.

Slicing is a Gathering skill.  The other 4 are mission skills. 

Slicing is a mission skill as well as a gathering skill. At level 80 of Slicing you can get mission that rewards "Mission Discoveries". Those are mission that you or other players can use to do one time special "Bonanza"  missions.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

the cost for the missions was low, and if i sent him on slicing misisons he owuld generally bring in a smal income

Slicing is a Gathering skill that is designed to bring in income rather than provide materials.  

Something like scavenging requires 2-3 missions to get enough materials for 1 item, which is either scavenged or gets sold to vendor for 1/5th of what it cost to send your companion out to gather.  Sending your companion out gets more and more expensive as you go also. 

There are also a TON of recipes to buy and if you're actually focused on crafting in general, you need to build many copies of every recipe before you get to items of quality good enough to sell.  

For example... playing to level 15 in the first beta, i used my companion for gathering everything.  By the time i got to Crafting skill 80, i was completely broke and couldn't even afford to send my companion out to get 1 component that i needed to craft myself a new weapon.  And this considering that ONLY made the couple of items i needed for myself and did not bother making other stuff, since i wasn't planning to sell.

IN the second beta, i did the gathering myself and only sent my companion(s) out to do missions (investigation).  By the time i got to crafting skill 80, i had made several purple mods, was outfitted myself and had outfitted my companion AND i had 5000 credits to my name since i had spent a lot less on missioning.

What you're saying is possible, it just isn't efficient.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Remember: These are "Crew" not crafting skills. Crafting is a category within the Crew Skill system. You can only have a total of "three" skills that you can assign too your crewmembers. Only "one" can be a "crafting" skill which you use to create something from raw materials. With so many "crafting" categories of consumer goods avalible and ability for only one per character avalible, the potential sales of finished goods to other players is good.

Crew Skills:

1. Mission

2. Gathering

3. Crafting

You only get three Crew Skills. All three could be Mission or Gathering, or any combination of the two. Only one of the three can be an actual "Crafting" skill. Choose wisely and if you are in an active guild, coordinate with them to have good coverage of raw materials and finished goods.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I was broke all the time, never actually got to zero cash but didn't ever get enough to expand my bag. I was sending my companion off on gathering missions whenever I knew I wasn't going to need him for combat, and there's plenty of opportunity to do that, traveling and NPC dialogue gave ample opportunities. I expect it to get very expensive once I get my second companion.

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

see i had no issues with cash

i had the first inventory upgrade at somehting like level 8

and by the time beta ended at almost level 17 i was well towards the 20k for  the next inventory upgrade

I dont buy anything in this type of MMo as i know i will outlevel it or find soemthing suitable for an upgrade soon enough

i looted everything and vendored everything if i didnt reverse engineer it

only stuff i bought was from a commendation vendor, sos didnt cost credits

as soon as i found the crew skills i was misisoning htem all the time, got slicing and scavenging to 60-70 iirc and cybertech to 35? ish...

i would mostly slice for cash, i ran the better quality missions for augmentations occasionally

misison costs were 150-300 credits as i recall

and like i said hte return of sliced lockboxes was averaging higher than the cost of hte missions

Now that i think about it more.. if you want to be mostly self-sufficient, the best setup would probably be:

Main:   3 gathering skills.

Level 10 Alt 1:  The crafting skill that makes weapons (Artificing or Armstech) + 2 mission skills

Level 10 Alt 2:  The crafting skill that makes armor (Armstech or Synthweaving) + other 2 mission skills

This way you could do all the gathering on your main, which would be able to get into all kinds of areas to gather components and you would be able to do crafting and missioning from level 10 alts, since character level is not required for those.

It would be a huge pain in the ass to do all the character juggling and stuff, but if you love crafting and being self-sufficient, it would probably be worthwhile at first and very profitable later on.  

Btw.. if you don't want to harvest stuff yourself, it's probably cheaper to buy high quantities of harvested stuff off the market than it is to send your companions gathering too.  Even in beta i was able to buy like 50 pieces of T2 harvested materials for 1000 credits, this would have cost me about 5000 credits to send companions out for the equivalent.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

see i had no issues with cash

i had the first inventory upgrade at somehting like level 8

and by the time beta ended at almost level 17 i was well towards the 20k for  the next inventory upgrade

I dont buy anything in this type of MMo as i know i will outlevel it or find soemthing suitable for an upgrade soon enough

i looted everything and vendored everything if i didnt reverse engineer it

only stuff i bought was from a commendation vendor, sos didnt cost credits

as soon as i found the crew skills i was misisoning htem all the time, got slicing and scavenging to 60-70 iirc and cybertech to 35? ish...

i would mostly slice for cash, i ran the better quality missions for augmentations occasionally

misison costs were 150-300 credits as i recall

and like i said hte return of sliced lockboxes was averaging higher than the cost of hte missions

How many items total did you craft?  How many purple?  How many crafting recipes did you buy?  How many were actually upgrades to you?

It sounds liek you were just using slicing to make money, not actually working on your crafting.  Skill 35 at Cybertech wouldn't make anything remotely useful for a level 15 character. 

- Raph Koster

Btw.. if you don't want to harvest stuff yourself, it's probably cheaper to buy high quantities of harvested stuff off the market than it is to send your companions gathering too.  Even in beta i was able to buy like 50 pieces of T2 harvested materials for 1000 credits, this would have cost me about 5000 credits to send companions out for the equivalent.

not sure if this will apply in release

in beta the demand for materials would be considerably lower than they would in retail, also the price hasn't stabilized yet. prices will rise over time til they find a level

How many items total did you craft?  How many purple?  How many crafting recipes did you buy?  How many were actually upgrades to you?

It sounds liek you were just using slicing to make money, not actually working on your crafting.  Skill 35 at Cybertech wouldn't make anything remotely useful for a level 15 character. 

i made maybe 30 items, i didnt get too far into the crafting, and no, i didnt use anything, i reverse engineered everything and had 1 blue discovery.

I was alsmot constantly gathering however.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Now that i think about it more.. if you want to be mostly self-sufficient, the best setup would probably be:

Level 10 Alt 1:  The crafting skill that makes weapons (Artificing or Armstech) + 2 mission skills

Level 10 Alt 2:  The crafting skill that makes armor (Armstech or Synthweaving) + other 2 mission skills

This way you could do all the gathering on your main, which would be able to get into all kinds of areas to gather components and you would be able to do crafting and missioning from level 10 alts, since character level is not required for those.

It would be a huge pain in the ass to do all the character juggling and stuff, but if you love crafting and being self-sufficient, it would probably be worthwhile at first and very profitable later on.  

huh? companions can have different crafting/gathering skills then your char? up to now everything i know (didnt played and not sure if i ever will) pointed to the fact that your selected 3 crew skills are only skills you or your companions can use.

does it mean that teoretically between all the companions you can have all crew skills?

i made maybe 30 items, i didnt get too far into the crafting, and no, i didnt use anything, i reverse engineered everything and had 1 blue discovery.

I was alsmot constantly gathering however.

That explains your wealth:

1.  You "Gathered" mostly slicing, the result of which is credits moreso than crafting materials.

2.  You didn't craft much and therefore did not need to spend either materials or recipes.

I spent at least 3000 creds on recipes alone and i didn't even buy a third of the ones available to me (for armstech).

All my missions were for the purpose of gathering needed materials for crafting - therefore, always cost, zero profit. 

By level 15 i was able to craft myself a blue level 17 Sniper Rifle which was better than the commendation one, as well as a purple level 15 rifle upgrade which made my level 10 rifle better than the commendation one.

Slicing is going to be the Gathering skill for non-crafters I think.  Since it gives profit and doesn't require you selling too much stuff.   And every Crafting profession is going to require at one other gathering skill in addition to slicing in order to sustain themselves, so most crafters are unlikely to take it assuming they're going the 1/1/1 self-sufficient path.

- Raph Koster

no, you choose 3 in total, and upto 1 crafting profession

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by Benedikt

huh? companions can have different crafting/gathering skills then your char? up to now everything i know (didnt played and not sure if i ever will) pointed to the fact that your selected 3 crew skills are only skills you or your companions can use.

does it mean that teoretically between all the companions you can have all crew skills?

No all your crew members have the same 3 crew skills. He's talking about alts.

To have everything covered you gonna need 6 alts, as there's 6 crafting skills. Also it would require you to level all your alts, seeing how the missons are bound to character level.

no, i meant, if you make 2 alts.

- Raph Koster

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Mightyking

No all your crew members have the same 3 crew skills. He's talking about alts.

To have everything covered you gonna need 6 alts, as there's 6 crafting skills. Also it would require you to level all your alts, seeing how the missons are bound to character level.

oh, right, i confused alt with companion, sorry :)

that explains it :)

thanx

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

no, i meant, if you make 2 alts.

Two whole new characters of the same faction as your main character. Each of those characters will have at least one companion.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Mightyking

Also it would require you to level all your alts, seeing how the missons are bound to character level.

Missions are not bound to character level.  At least they weren't in this build.  I was able to gather materials for (via missioning) and craft items above my level.

New missions opened up based on my skill in that particlar crew skill.  (i.e. I need Investigation 60 before Tier 2 investigation missions opened up)

- Raph Koster

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Unless I was doing something wrong, only thing I did not enjoy much was the crafting itself - you have to make zillions of low level items in order to raise your crating skill.

Overall, imo the concept is good though.

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Gdemami

Unless I was doing something wrong, only thing I did not enjoy much was the crafting itself - you have to make zillions of low level items in order to raise your crating skill.

I Felt the crafting was enjoyable, it was nice that i could send my 2 companions off to gather and craft while i was pvping or merely taking a smoke break..

Beats the hell out of node hunting like other various mmos, Even tho you can "node" hunt in swtor.. you dont Have to..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Crafting in SWTOR is incredibly stupid and done chjeap to get it in the game as fast as possible.They elininated al lthose nodes ,eliminated 3d animations and crafting tables.Just a quick thrown together idea.

Your companion doesn't craft he actually does nothing at all.It is just a script and a 2d window that pretends to do things,pretends to send your compaion off and pretends to craft.There is no real crafting process just a more of that same EVE online crap that has windows that open .I call it spreadsheet gaming,takes any possible immersion out of a game and is a super cheap design.

Crafting is one of the very main reasons i decidd to not get this game,because i take crafting seriously as an important part of   gaming.

SWTOR shows it's rushed out face in amny aspects.A lot of it's design is based more on creating code instead of creating mesh's,animations, actual content that a player can see, and interact with.Example instead of creating more useful abilities and spells ,they opt for the super cheap TREE lines to do the EVE online thing again ,ticking off boxes.One player model to escape having to make new models and create the animations.The Crafting part i already touched on.Instead of creating quests to actually go do with your companion they opt for the fake 2d pop up windows again a lazier effort.Then there is just the VERY bare minimum quests to carry you through each zone,an extreme lack of content.What they actually do is give you xp just for showing up to meet a npc lol or just for clicking your crafting trainers.../sigh.I think i got almost 3k xp just clicking Crafting trainers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Gdemami

You get 1 crafting skill-up for every item you craft.  

You need to make 3-4 of each item in order to get the upgraded recipe (unless you get lucky, but 3 on average).

So really, if i make weapons, there are at least 5 or 6 different weapons i can make.  

So, 3 copies of each of the 5 weapons = skill +15.

3 copies of each of the 5 weapons (upgraded version) = skill +15

1 copy of each of  the 5 weapons for self (purple version) = skill +5.

1 copy of each of the 5 weapons for sale (purple version = skill +5

Total skil 40.  By the time you have skill 40, you already have access to version 2 and possibly version 3 of those weapons.  

It takes a bit of doing to get up to like skill 30-40, but once i was over 30 in crafting, i wasn't crafting anything i wasn't going to somehow use - either to get a better recipe i needed or to equip a companion.  And i wasn't even selling stuff, just making for myself.   Meaning, after skill 30, i stopped making "1 of everything" and just made what i needed and it gave me plenty of skill upgrades.  By the time i actually made my blue level 17 sniper rifle, i my skill was already over 100 and i would have been able to make level 20 stuff if i wanted to (but i didn't need to yet, since i was only 16)

- Raph Koster

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Wizardry

Crafting in SWTOR is incredibly stupid and done chjeap to get it in the game as fast as possible.They elininated al lthose nodes ,eliminated 3d animations and crafting tables.Just a quick thrown together idea.

Your companion doesn't craft he actually does nothing at all.It is just a script and a 2d window that pretends to do things,pretends to send your compaion off and pretends to craft.There is no real crafting process just a more of that same EVE online crap that has windows that open .I call it spreadsheet gaming,takes any possible immersion out of a game and is a super cheap design.

Ever send your companion to craft than head to your ship? Ooh.. look at that, the companions.. crafting, at a crafting station...

Originally posted by Wizardry

you sound angry.  how much crafting did you actually do in TOR?  because nodes (and node gathering) still exist and crafting tables still exist and your companions stand at them and craft.  

If you'd actually got a decent amount of crafting done, you would see this.  The system is simple to use, but is actually a lot better than most existing games.

Then again, i always thought that standing by a table and swinging a hammer for an hour without actually contributing any skill to the activity was retarded and did not partake in that kind of crafting.  Pretty much the only game where i previously enjoyed crafting was SWG and that game had factories and things, the complexity was in finding components and deciding on them, not in standing by a crafting station.

THe feeling of making your first puple item after getting it researched in TOR is pretty awesome and a lot more immersive than the feeling of buying a rare crafting component in eq2 and hammering together for your "rare" crafted gear.

- Raph Koster