Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting !

FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

Hy all ,

Does anyone know solid info about how crafting aspect of the game is running ? I mean is jit ust gather mats and sit at craft table then make items or it is deeper ? I looked around and did some readings couldn't find answers ! All I found is that we can send companion's to do the gathering and they carft things for us . I also checked many dev's video's on youtube but couldn't find many info .

I didn't make it to beta testing yet so was wondering if anyone who got into game crafting maybe can explain how is carfting in SWTOR works , also if anyone knows any links with good reading then plz post here .. thanks .

Comments

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

No crafting table at all. It's all done on the fly. I was able to craft up to mid 100's just sending companion on the fly making stuff while I was pvp'ing :)

(Both gathering and crafting)

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• ThulenThulen Member UncommonPosts: 15

Heres a good page about it, http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/crafting-guide/

Tried it in beta for awhile and its ok, not anywhere near random stats like swg was tho.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Its kinda of differnt in the sense you dont crafy, your companion does, but otherwise its fairly standard. Not that complex. It gets a B. I always enoyed DAOC crafting.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

There are no crafting skills in SWTOR. They are called crew skills. Basically you get to pick 3 skills for your crew, of which one is a true crafting skill. The other two skills are harvesting type of skills, or a skill that helps you get items for the crew.

The crafting skills are:

* Armormech

* Armstech

* Artifice

* Biochem

* Cybertech

* Synthweaving

Harvesting skills:

* Scavenging

* Archaeology

* Bioanalysis

And there's skills that dont fall in a category:

* Diplomacy

* Investigation

* Underworld Trading

* Treasure Hunting

* Slicing

You can send your crew on missions, and they bring you back materials for crafting. You can then use the actual crafting skill and they make it into an item.

I believe at later levels you can have an actual crafting station in your spaceship, making it possible for you to craft yourself, but the beta only lasted 4 days, and I didnt get a space ship. I did try all the crafting professions though.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

basically you learn 3 professions

2 are gathering, 1 is crafting

you can harvest from nodes on planets, or you can send any/all your crew/companions off on missions

missions have a fee and give yo ua general idea of rewards

i had salvaging nad slicing

salavaging came back with quanitites of a type of amterial, ie a selection of compounds or metals in a certain level range depending on the mission selected

time and cost determined the quality/quantity of hte returned items.

I also had slicing, my crew came back with either lockboxes with credits in, or modifications, again depending on the mission selected.

manufacturing, i had cybertech, which again were mods, i could choose to make a mod from my mknown recipe's

once the mods were made i could equip/ sell or reverse engineer.

reverse engineering generally gives you back some of the components, however, on one instance i reverse engineered and discovered a higher level pattern/formula for a mod

Patterns/formulas are trainable form npc's

every time you harvest/mission/craft you level your professions, my (initial?) cap for the proffessions was 400

Anyd yes, my companion had a couple of perks 10% underworld trading, not sure what effect that has on the crafting but im sure it does

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Cameo3
    No crafting table at all. It's all done on the fly. I was able to craft up to mid 100's just sending companion on the fly making stuff while I was pvp'ing :)

(Both gathering and crafting)

You also learn more advanced recipes by taking the stuff you crafted apart. I got a recipe for a purple sabre hilt by disassembling the green hilts, getting recipes for blue hilts and disassembling those to get the recipe for the purple hilt. Then I got a better version of the purple recipe.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by I_Return
    * Diplomacy
    * Investigation
    * Underworld Trading
    * Treasure Hunting
    * Slicing

I just saw these towards the end of beta, and very curious about them.

I used Underworld Trading, it's very useful for getting the rarer mats needed for Synthweaving, you can get companion gifts from it too.

Your companions affection seems important, the higher the affection the better results from missions and crafting.

At first I wasn't impressed but as I got in to it more i started to really enjoy it, once I started getting better recipes from reverse engineering my Synthweaving was worth the time and investment.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

* Diplomacy

* Investigation

* Underworld Trading

* Treasure Hunting

* Slicing

Those skills either give you something that you can use for your main crafting skill (It says in the codex which trade is recommended for which crafting skill), or they give you lockboxes (basically money, or sometimes an item), or an item that improves your loyalty towards your crew member.

Slicing is the only one that also has farmable nodes that you can harvest. Basically slicing is getting computer parts I believe.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

* Diplomacy

* Investigation

* Underworld Trading

* Treasure Hunting

* Slicing

Slicing is a Gathering skill.  The other 4 are mission skills. 

Missions are like gathering (for different items) except missions skills can ONLY be done by sending out your companion (as opposed to gathering, where you can gather yourself while out in the world AND send a companion out).  Missions also provide some other items like faction and companion gifts.

Every crafting skill requires components from at least 1 harvesting skill and at least 1 mission skill.   So if you want to be self-sufficient crafter, you take 1 Crafting, 1 gather and 1 mission skill.  

Crafting is done by assigning your companion to do it (starting at level 10 or so when you get your companion). 

You look up a recipe and if you have the components, you click "craft lightsaber" and your companion goes away for a minute or two to make.

You get the initial recipe from your crafting trainer, for example "Lightsaber 1".  Once you've crafted "Lightsaber 1", you can deconstruct it.  Deconstructing has a % chance to give you a recipe for "Better Lightsaber 1".  You can then craft "Better Lightsaber 1".   Deconstructing "Better Lightsaber 1" has a chance give you a recipe for "Even Better Lightsaber 1".   (I am pretty sure, there is only 3 levels, but possible there are more.

There is also a chance to crit when you're crafting, which will give you "Special Lightsaber 1".  You do not learn the recipe for this, it's just a one-off special item with extra stats.  

Everytime you craft something, your skill goes up.  Once you have enough skill, you can buy from your skill trainer the recipe for "Lightsaber 2" and rinse and repeat above.  

Statistically the "Even Better Lightsaber 1", will like be better than the basic "Lightsaber 2" and possibly even better than 3.  Also, " Even Better Lightsaber 1" will be the same minimum level to use as "Lightsaber 1", while "Lightsaber 2" will require a higher character level.

There are also special / rare recipes, but i have no idea what these are or how they work.

Even though i usually hate crafting, i found crafting in TOR quite excellent and easily my favourite part of the entire game.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by EvilGeek
    * Diplomacy
    * Investigation
    * Underworld Trading
    * Treasure Hunting
    * Slicing

I used Underworld Trading, it's very useful for getting the rarer mats needed for Synthweaving, you can get companion gifts from it too

Diplomacy gives you light side/dark side points. Treasure Hunting gives you gems and stuff for Artificing (Jedi artifacts and light sabre stuff). Underworld Trading gives you more rare materials for higher level crafting. Slicing is computer hacking. I'm not sure what you get besides credits.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

I'm an old guy (grandparent) and have played a lot of MMOs. I did crafting in those MMOs because it was required, not because I enjoyed it. That being said, I did spend time in the last beta test trying the system. Guess what, it was fun and painless.

You have a very limited number of crew skills to chose from (three). Only one of wich can be a "crafting" skill (manufacturing an item). So, you need to give some thought to what will be most useful too you.

I had fun sending my companion on Treasure Hunting "Missions", and doing that, was able to improve my companion's effectiveness and attitude toward me.

I selected "Salvage" as a Gathering Skill, and was often able to loot raw materials off of droids that had been destroyed. I also found nodes that would spawn better crafting materials with larger quantity drops.

If you want a SWG ( I was in early BETA of SWG ) crafting system, keep looking.

I don't play any MMO too focus on crafting, but I found this system was simple, intuitive, fun and very useful.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by lizardbones

Diplomacy gives you light side/dark side points. Treasure Hunting gives you gems and stuff for Artificing (Jedi artifacts and light sabre stuff). Underworld Trading gives you more rare materials for higher level crafting. Slicing is computer hacking. I'm not sure what you get besides credits.

As of the current build you get "augments", which fit in a mod slot on a crafted item.  Sometimes you also get high level special crafting missions with can get you some high-grade stuff. 

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by EvilGeek

* Diplomacy

* Investigation

* Underworld Trading

* Treasure Hunting

* Slicing

I used Underworld Trading, it's very useful for getting the rarer mats needed for Synthweaving, you can get companion gifts from it too.

Your companions affection seems important, the higher the affection the better results from missions and crafting.

At first I wasn't impressed but as I got in to it more i started to really enjoy it, once I started getting better recipes from reverse engineering my Synthweaving was worth the time and investment.

That really is exciting to read!  I also love the fact you can queue up a bunch of things to craft.  Log off and your companions (still call them pets..old habit) and when you log back on they have it already made.  They can also draw mats from your bank vault which one is actually located on your personal space ship.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Keogh

I don't play any MMO too focus on crafting, but I found this system was simple, intuitive, fun and very useful.

I like it alot.  My only beef with it is that you can choose a completely worthless combination pretty easily.  Like Scavenging, Investigation, and Artificer.  You can always quit one and start a new one, but you lose all that progress.  But anyhoo, if you pick the right combinations, levelling to 400 is a breeze, and odds are, you'll have gotten lots of crit recipes along the way.

It's kinda the best of all worlds, IMO.  The crit system is good, the mod system will PROBABLY be good...

It's particularly good once you have 4+ companions; you get 3 of them gathering and one with you in the field.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Keogh

I'm an old guy (grandparent) and have played a lot of MMOs. I did crafting in those MMOs because it was required, not because I enjoyed it. That being said, I did spend time in the last beta test trying the system. Guess what, it was fun and painless.

You have a very limited number of crew skills to chose from (three). Only one of wich can be a "crafting" skill (manufacturing an item). So, you need to give some thought to what will be most useful too you.

I had fun sending my companion on Treasure Hunting "Missions", and doing that, was able to improve my companion's effectiveness and attitude toward me.

I selected "Salvage" as a Gathering Skill, and was often able to loot raw materials off of droids that had been destroyed. I also found nodes that would spawn better crafting materials with larger quantity drops.

If you want a SWG ( I was in early BETA of SWG ) crafting system, keep looking.

Can you get more then 3 skills when you get more compansions?  I just though of it now as I read your post.  I had two companions but did not check if that second compansion could learn new skills to add to my already 3 known ones.   Too bad I cant go back to beta to check.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

So is it possible to log in on a level 10 char, put your crew to scavenger. Log out?

further more can a level 10 chars have a crew farming the best materials in the space? the idea could be have a main char with 3 crafting abilities - 2 alts gathering all for him?

gathering is typically mission based and cant be queued, for example my level 50 scavenging took between 6-8 minutes to complete.

only the manufacturing can be queued maybe 6 to 8 items, i forget

Originally posted by Hexipox
    So is it possible to log in on a level 10 char, put your crew to scavenger. Log out?
    further more can a level 10 chars have a crew farming the best materials in the space? the idea could be have a main char with 3 crafting abilities - 2 alts gathering all for him?

You can set a crew member to gather and log out, but the gathering missions I saw took a max of 6 minutes. Crafting missions were even shorter.

I'm not sure about having a level character max out leveling. I didn't test this, but I would expect there's a limit on the missions you can send your crew on based on their level. There is stuff in the world you can gather while you're questing and it's limited by the level of the mobs that are walking around. I would expect the same kind of thing with the missions you can send companions off to.

If you want crafting or gathering alts, I'd expect they'd need to be leveled up just like your 'main' characters.

** edit **
    As alanthecelt said, missions are one at a time. You can't queue up 10 missions and then log off.

** edit^2 **
    I did not know you got better results the more your companion likes you. That gives a reason to get companion gifts and such and a reason to weigh your light side/dark side decisions based on what your companion likes. They don't always like the obvious choices for light side/dark side stuff. I got 40 companion 'likes' for doing the right thing, but doing it by stealing so I got 50 dark side points.

there were tiers of gathering missions, level 1-16 and 16-25 is what i saw, i think the missions available are limited to your main character's level..

so you cant out level your crafting, not from gathering anyway, but perhaps you can buy mats/send from an alt and level beyond on the manufacturing side?

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Only reason i ask is because there are some many gather skills i like .. Bounty Hunting, Slicing, Scavenger, underworld trading + two crafting skills cybertech and armstech .... this is for my IA :)

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by alanthecelt

gathering is typically mission based and cant be queued, for example my level 50 scavenging took between 6-8 minutes to complete.

This is an extremely expensive and inefficient way to gather.

You gather MUCH faster (and 100% free) by simply harvesting the nodes yourself while out in the world.  Sending your companion away to gather costs credits and you'll be broke very quickly.    If you're max level adventurer and don't feel like going to low level zones to gather, this is nice, but if you're "Crafting ahead", it's not the best way to do it.  Plus, if your companions are out gathering, then they can't be out doing missions for the more rare materials that can't be gathered any other way.

It IS possible to "craft ahead" or "gather ahead".  Mission level is based on your gathering/missioning skill level, not on your character's level.  I was level 15 in beta and was able to gather materials and craft level 20+ items. 

~~~~~~~~

Someone asked about gathering on a level 10 alt.  Due to my explanation above, it's not very good.  It's better to gather when you're out in the world yourself and if you're level 10, you can't get (or get to safely) to places where higher level materials are.

What DOES sound viable, is taking 1 crafting skill, 2 gathering skills and then using a level 10 alt for Mission skills.  Since mission skills can ONLY be done by a companion and do not require travel, this seems like a good way to go.  I am not sure if BW has any failsafes to prevent this.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

bare in mind

my companion can go on gathering/crafting missions and would take him out of play (id do this when i really didnt need her)

But

when you get your ship you get a droid, he lives on your ship and cant accompany you, so he can be constantly missioning for you

the cost for the missions was low, and if i sent him on slicing misisons he owuld generally bring in a smal income

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

As your crew skills increase, so does the time to run the missions. Example; Armstech at start is one minute per crafting attempt on a reflex barrel. When you move up to next lvl of barrel, the time increases to I think it was a minute 27 secs. At the end, my refelx barrel was taking one minute 56 secs per barrel. So the time taken to make increases with your skill. Same with like say investigation. It started with like 3-4 minute missions, and at the end I had missions that were 9-11 mins long. Hope that helps some.