Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I enjoy this game quite a bit...

...and enjoy it quite a bit for what it is. It would have been supremely irresponsible and foolish to try a completely innovative approach to MMO gaming with one of the biggest and powerful IPs in existence - the Star Wars Universe. Yes, I'm a fan boy, and I think it was a much wiser decision to come out with a game fitting the current market with a few perceptible shifts of originality rather than engineering a wholly revolutionary game that would only find a small niche of players, and collapse on itself a year and a half after going live. I completely understand people craving something completely new, but ...  *waves hand*  "this is not the game you're looking for." You'll find unhindered and uncompromising innovation among a title with little to lose, not a title that literally requires success due to its licensing obligations and costs.

There are many innovative MMO's coming down the line, and some of them might change the industry for the better. For now, I'll enjoy immersing myself in the Star Wars Universe with a semi-traditional MMO laced with a very detailed and original story-telling experience, alongside millions of other players that will bolster this fun new bioware title with the support it needs to adapt to, and maybe even take part in, some innovative ideas in the future.

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Time will tell whether playing it safe was the way to go. Let's hope they turn a profit instead of dicovering that the beaten old path is a just a pretty dead one.

imageimage
  • IshiwadedeIshiwadede Member Posts: 11

I think playing it safe was truly the only option, when you're gambling with the budget and IP they have. My dice is on them turning a profit - I think they are practically assured that much.

• prfellaprfella Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Ishiwadede

...and enjoy it quite a bit for what it is. It would have been supremely irresponsible and foolish to try a completely innovative approach to MMO gaming with one of the biggest and powerful IPs in existence - the Star Wars Universe. Yes, I'm a fan boy, and I think it was a much wiser decision to come out with a game fitting the current market with a few perceptible shifts of originality rather than engineering a wholly revolutionary game that would only find a small niche of players, and collapse on itself a year and a half after going live. I completely understand people craving something completely new, but ...  *waves hand*  "this is not the game you're looking for." You'll find unhindered and uncompromising innovation among a title with little to lose, not a title that literally requires success due to its licensing obligations and costs.

There are many innovative MMO's coming down the line, and some of them might change the industry for the better. For now, I'll enjoy immersing myself in the Star Wars Universe with a semi-traditional MMO laced with a very detailed and original story-telling experience, alongside millions of other players that will bolster this fun new bioware title with the support it needs to adapt to, and maybe even take part in, some innovative ideas in the future.

This post is pure win. I've read literally hundreds of post about SWTOR in the last 3 years and no one gets it, except the OP right here. After so much time, and so many threads, its actually quite frightening. You are a sliver of hope in a endless veil of hope and despiar. "Help me, OP, you're my only hope" 

You sir, have won the internet. +1 

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

SWG died after 8 years. Pretty good gamble on their part with the IP. They could of faired better had SOE not been complete idiots in further game expansiosns.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Ishiwadede

I think playing it safe was truly the only option, when you're gambling with the budget and IP they have. My dice is on them turning a profit - I think they are practically assured that much.

Even using the 150 million figure people keep throwing around here (which is about double what industry insiders say was spent)  Bioware has already paid off their investment. Pre-orders alone (825K US B&M only is astounding) must be pushing close to 2 million now.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Quite so!